Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2286
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Too much offset means your frame is too small, these days with 35mm stems available it's ok to go with that slightly larger frame, but offset still can "fix' a situation where something is too small, it's just not nearly as hard/bad to go to a larger frame size now. That said, the command post has offset. It's what I use.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanho View Post
    Attachment 990377

SO heres mine. I got it used and it came with a Debonair rear. However I can't get the dang thing to feel good. I'm running 230psi and I weigh 215. Even with the compression switch in the middle position it bottoms out way too easily. When I pump it through berms it blows so deep into its travel at first I thought the tire was folding over, and on a 5 foot drop to flat it bottom way hard and bucked me over the bars. Any ideas?
    The 30-40psi above body weight does appear to be the ticket, running a Monarch + on my enduro now for a few weeks (actually getting good rides for a few weeks that is, I've had it over winter). At your weight though, you are approaching the max of what any stock tune is going to support, so just keep that in mind. A custom tune by Avalanche would probably be a good idea. I find mine has plenty of mid-stroke support in the middle setting, does not blow through travel, resists g-outs and drops well, etc. I'm 170 though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Too much offset means your frame is too small, these days with 35mm stems available it's ok to go with that slightly larger frame, but offset still can "fix' a situation where something is too small, it's just not nearly as hard/bad to go to a larger frame size now. That said, the command post has offset. It's what I use.
    I know this but if I went with the XL frame then the seat tube would have been too high to use any dropper at all. I think that the reason the offset is needed and comes with all stock Speci seat posts is the rather steep seat angle (75) vs other more slack ones. And I think that this happens because of the wagon wheels and the 155 travel that requires more clearance.

Anyway I think that I don't have many options available at this point. It has to be either a Command IR or a KS Dropzone or Eten.

mtbr member
    I'm about 5'11 1/2" w 33" inseam and I have my saddle as forward as it will go.. Feel like I need a non-offset post..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That's strange. We have the same dimensions but I have my saddle like below.

And the length from the BB to the top of the saddle is 74cm.

mtbr member
    Hmm I dunno.. Maybe you got some long femurs?
    I've ran a command post on my last 3 bikes and never had any issues.. The newest version has reversible rail clamps so you can get additional offset if needed..

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    This seems to be best option for me. Thank you for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Curtis Keene is 6ft and used a Large with a Reverb and seat pushed all the way forward with a 40mm stem.

http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/...4/PZ1A2866.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I suppose that I have to go back and check again my body position on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    I suppose that I have to go back and check again my body position on the bike.
    What's your stem length? Are you sure you got a Large and not a Medium?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes for sure. The seat tube is 47cm as in the official site and I have a 60 stem 780 bars combo but in order to get the knee over axle position I need to have my seat quite back.

I will try it again but I think that I can't get the proper riding position without the offset.

The thing is that if you measure the effective top tube without the offset then it is only 60 instead of the stated 61.7. So if you compare this with the 75 seat angle then I don't think that it is strange that I need the offset.

As of the XL I was thinking about it but with the 52 seat tube it would have been almost impossible to fit a dropper. Maybe just a 100mm but still it would exactly on the limit of the colar.

mtbr member
    I ran a 50mm stem last year on my E29 and felt like a 40 would have been better.. However I'm running a 40 on my 650b this year and feel like I may need to swap it out for a 50.. heh
    Been messing around with the bar height and so far nothing feels "normal",
    I may have to just set it somewhere and try to get used to it.. I've got two spacers under the 40mm Syntace stem currently, thinking of either flipping the stem over or dropping down another spacer.. Feels like the front tire could be weighted a little more on some loose/sandy trails around here.. (Or do I just go to a 50mm?)
    However I found that if the bars are too low, I don't feel nearly as comfortable jumping or descending steeper rock gardens, etc..
    Enve DH bars FWIW.

How do you guys have your bar/stem setup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, I don't worry too much about the old fashioned alignments so much. As long as the bars don't hit my legs when turning, then it's good enough for me.

Vokeswaagin, I just ordered a 40mm Syntace too. I'm going to order the E29 tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just recently put some Enve DH bars on my S-Works E29. Since it came with flat bars I flipped the stem (60mm) over to try and keep the bars as low as possible. So far I'm really loving the overall position and feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm 5'10 on a med E29 and thought I'd need the same but run a straight KS with no issues. Don't even have the saddle back in the clamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    I'm 5'10 on a med E29 and thought I'd need the same but run a straight KS with no issues. Don't even have the saddle back in the clamp.
    What stem length? Stock 60mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi, I'm Mic from Italy, riding an Enduro Expert 29er.
    I'm looking for a new chainring and I found this one

Direct Mount Stainless Steel for SRAM GXP Cranks and Long Spindle BB30 ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Is it compatible with my crankset?

On specy site I see:

crankset: Custom SRAM S-2200, carbon, PF30 spindle, 30T, 94mm BCD spider

bottom bracket: SRAM, PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Little add-on: the main problem for me is if I've got a Long Spindle or a Short Spindle...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinna View Post
    Hi, I'm Mic from Italy, riding an Enduro Expert 29er.
    I'm looking for a new chainring and I found this one

Direct Mount Stainless Steel for SRAM GXP Cranks and Long Spindle BB30 ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Is it compatible with my crankset?

On specy site I see:

crankset: Custom SRAM S-2200, carbon, PF30 spindle, 30T, 94mm BCD spider

bottom bracket: SRAM, PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Why don't you just pull the crank and measure it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys. I have ordered a Command post IR for my 2015 Specialized Enduro 29 Comp and I am wondering if I will need to change the stock "bat" in order to run the cable internally.

In a picture that I have found online it looks like there is a hole in the bat but I am not sure that my bat has a hole.

I could of course check it myself but I am traveling so I wont have access to my bike for the next 2 weeks so if you could check your bikes and tell me if it is OK or if I should order another bat I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You're right...
    Just done it.
    101.5 mm, so I think it's a long spindle.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by vokeswaagin View Post
    Why don't you just pull the crank and measure it?

mtbr member
    Any word on the release date for the 2016 Enduros? Colors? I'm keen to see the spec!

mtbr member
    At the Sedona MTB Festival a few months ago, a Spesh rep told me they're implementing a program like Trek's Project One. I think that's pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    When you got your Enduros did you also get a shock pump together with the bike? I mean is it included with the bike or do you have to buy it separately?

mtbr member

Official Specialized Enduro Thread

Seperate
    However, When you buy a monarch plus a shock pump is included.. (Hint hint)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi guys. I'm new here and the sport and had a question about a 2007 or 2008 enduro elite I recently purchased. I love the bike and all I really do I trail ride since I'm stuck in fl but I don't really like the rear shock (dhx 4.0) and need some new tires. Do you guys have any upgrade suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey guys. I took the plunge and got a Specialized Enduro 29 after years of deciding. Well, I drove 3 and a half hours to get to a shop that had it and got it home only to realize it had a few problems that I didn't notice when I was there. One is the headset moves around no matter how I adjust my stem, spacers, and cap. Video:

The other thing is the rear suspension or shock feels gritty and makes a grinding sound for the sag portion of the travel. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5IldxSyMU

So I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a fix for these issues that I can do myself. I don't feel like making another 7 hour trip just to get a bike I haven't even ridden yet serviced...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    With the headset it might be that your steer tube is too long try putting one more spacer in there... Remember to do the top bolt first then the stem bolts after... Rear shock I'm not 100% sure, but check the linkage bolts make sure they are all tight...

It's hard to believe a shop would sell you a bike like that... That's top customer service right there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Hey guys. I took the plunge and got a Specialized Enduro 29 after years of deciding. Well, I drove 3 and a half hours to get to a shop that had it and got it home only to realize it had a few problems that I didn't notice when I was there. One is the headset moves around no matter how I adjust my stem, spacers, and cap....
    You are either missing the spacer shown in the photo (centre item), or it is not snug down into the top bearing, or is mounted upside-down. It should fit right down into the top bearing. Push it with your fingers even and you will see the steer tube tightens right up.

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-img_0631.jpg

It could be that you need an extra spacer ring, but it looks like you have all 3 that comes stock.

Can't tell from video what the issue is with the shock.

For a shop to release the bike like that is SHAMEFUL.
    I'd call Specialized and complain that one of their dealers SUCKS!
    17 990 Element BC Ed - 24.5 lb (ordered)
    15 Enduro Expert 29, SW build - 27.6
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    You are either missing the spacer shown in the photo (centre item), or it is not snug down into the top bearing, or is mounted upside-down. It should fit right down into the top bearing. Push it with your fingers even and you will see the steer tube tightens right up.

It could be that you need an extra spacer ring, but it looks like you have all 3 that comes stock.

Can't tell from video what the issue is with the shock.

For a shop to release the bike like that is SHAMEFUL.
    I'd call Specialized and complain that one of their dealers SUCKS!
    Thanks for the reply! So I took it apart and it looked like everything was in there properly as you showed. I refitted it to make sure too. But it actually looks like the movement is coming from the outer edges as if the frame's opening is too big or the bearing is too small? Here's another video. Sorry for the shakiness, it was hard to move it and record at the same time. Hopefully you can see what I mean:

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    is this a used bike? i think the frame size for the headset is defekt large out from use or manufactor defekt.. contact your lbs!

ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 8664 View Post
    is this a used bike? i think the frame size for the headset is defekt large out from use or manufactor defekt.. contact your lbs!
    Nope, it should have been brand spankin' new. It just makes me kind of sick to think that I just paid $4000 for a bike that I can't even ride due to poor quality control by Specialized and/or the bike shop. A similar thing happened to a new handgun I just purchased. The thing nearly came apart after firing it a few times and the manufacturer has had it for the past two months. Maybe things just aren't built like they used to be? Or maybe I just have rotten luck. :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Thanks for the reply! So I took it apart and it looked like everything was in there properly as you showed. I refitted it to make sure too. But it actually looks like the movement is coming from the outer edges as if the frame's opening is too big or the bearing is too small? Here's another video. Sorry for the shakiness, it was hard to move it and record at the same time. Hopefully you can see what I mean:

Can't really tell what is going on in the last video, but if I did that on my bike it would behave the same way. The only way for the crown race (the spacer I was talking about in the first reply, the split ring) to properly fill out the space on the bearing, is to have pressure applied from the top - like when you tighten down the top cap bolt. This pressure pushes the crown race down into the bearing and because of the split, will reduce in circumference thus tightening around the steer tube and snugging things up.

The top bearing is always larger than the steer tube. Without the crown race, the steer tube will wobble around.

Is the top bearing flipped upside-down? The outside beveled side should face down and match the beveled head tube top race.
    17 990 Element BC Ed - 24.5 lb (ordered)
    15 Enduro Expert 29, SW build - 27.6
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quite possible the bike shop used your bike for replacement parts and didn't replace the correct bearing back on the bike... I work on a bike shop and never seen a bike coming from the factory like that...

They probably had the bike in a box and needed some bearings for a clients bike or something, so he didn't had to wait for the part to arrive...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    Can't really tell what is going on in the last video, but if I did that on my bike it would behave the same way. The only way for the crown race (the spacer I was talking about in the first reply, the split ring) to properly fill out the space on the bearing, is to have pressure applied from the top - like when you tighten down the top cap bolt. This pressure pushes the crown race down into the bearing and because of the split, will reduce in circumference thus tightening around the steer tube and snugging things up.

The top bearing is always larger than the steer tube. Without the crown race, the steer tube will wobble around.

Is the top bearing flipped upside-down? The outside beveled side should face down and match the beveled head tube top race.
    I just double checked it and it seems like there is only one way to properly fit the bearing. Everything fits as you describe but there is still some play somewhere.

This is with the little spacer and headset cap removed (so crown and bearing):

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-img_20150610_022239576.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dk13 View Post
    Quite possible the bike shop used your bike for replacement parts and didn't replace the correct bearing back on the bike... I work on a bike shop and never seen a bike coming from the factory like that...

They probably had the bike in a box and needed some bearings for a clients bike or something, so he didn't had to wait for the part to arrive...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt but too often it seems workers will take the easy/sleazy route. I can never seem to find a quality and honest shop or mechanic, whether it be for cars, bikes, or otherwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi. Most probably this is not the issue but do you have the headset tighten when you instal everything back? If you don't then the there will be some play.

So make sure that when you instal everything back you will have enough gap between the top spacer and the top of the steerer tube so once you tighten them they will not touch and all parts of the headset will be properly tighten together. Also first tighten everything together and then tighten the stem at the end.

If you have done all the above and still have play take it back to the LBS and have it fixed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Hi. Most probably this is not the issue but do you have the headset tighten when you instal everything back? If you don't then the there will be some play.

So make sure that when you instal everything back you will have enough gap between the top spacer and the top of the steerer tube so once you tighten them they will not touch and all parts of the headset will be properly tighten together. Also first tighten everything together and then tighten the stem at the end.

If you have done all the above and still have play take it back to the LBS and have it fixed.
    Yeah, I know about that from previous bikes. I tightened it first from the top down with like 3mm of space above the steerer and even tried moving the stem in different spots to see if it would make a difference but no matter what I tried, it still had the play. I guess I'll ask them what they can do. I was hoping not to have to do another 7 hour (3.5 both ways) road trip again but it looks like I might not have a choice. Thanks for your help everyone!

mtbr member
    Tip: call the shop in advance to give them a heads up and ensure they alot some time to work on your bike when you bring it in, otherwise you may be waiting all day (or overnight) to get your bike back..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm noticing there is no headset spacer below the stem (3? above) Maybe with no spacer below the stem, pressure is not being applied properly to get the split ring tight enough? If you haven't already - I'd try putting one spacer below the stem re-tightening things down.

As for the shock, this is a CTD shock? Does it behave the same in all 3 positions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i had the exact same issue....
    unfortunately i didnt document it very well.
    so, i had to buy headset spacers (1&1/8)
    and 2mm ( i think) and stack it
    on top of the split washer and under the headset cap...

its the only way, unless u want to get new bearings,
    which u dont need to do.

the headset top cap should eventually sit just above the frame surface
    and move with the steering (once you clamp your stem down)

i can get you a pic later if you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    dont do this. ^
    u can mess up frame and top cap.
    washer need to be BELOW top headset cap
    and ABOVE split washer

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I had a similar issue as well and did the same thing as mtbwrider. Do the handlebars move freely when the stem nut is tightened? If not, the stem cap is contacting the frame before the split washer and you will need a spacer on top of the split washer but below the cap. First just try putting a spacer under the stem cap and torqueing everything down to see if it tightens up the sloppiness. If it does, then you will have to figure out exactly how tall of a spacer you will need. I used a carbon one that was close and sanded it down with a very fine grit sandpaper on a flat surface to get the spacing perfect. This was on the advice of Cane Creek where I got the headset from.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    UPDATE: Thanks for the suggestions guys! I decided to try some other spacers and wallah, it's tight now. I still don't quite understand it but whatever, at least it's not the frame or something more serious.

With the suspension, it definitely sounds like it's coming from the upper portion of the shock. I tried re-tightening the upper bolt but it didn't help so it could be the shock itself. I tried descend and trail mode and different rebound settings but it still makes that noise.

So I finally got to ride it a bit at least. One thing I noticed is that there is a vibration in the middle gears when I accelerate. From the past, I remember this happening on a worn chain. So I guess the chain tension isn't right? Is there something I can do to adjust this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys!

Just wondering. How big bottle can you fit on the Enduro Comp 650B? I currently have a Camber Comp, and I can only bring with me a tiny bottle because there is no room for a larger bottle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Hey guys!

Just wondering. How big bottle can you fit on the Enduro Comp 650B? I currently have a Camber Comp, and I can only bring with me a tiny bottle because there is no room for a larger bottle.
    What size frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you get Specialized side entry cage you should be able to fit a full size bottle on it

This is a medium enduro sworks 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you get Specialized side entry cage you should be able to fit a full size bottle on it

This is a medium enduro sworks 650b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just what I need. Thanks!