Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Enduro Thread

681K views 2K replies 441 participants last post by  MTBiker2477 
#1 ·
Hi, like the title says, please post your Enduro pictures and build specs! I know there's a 2010 Enduro thread but lets just include every model year in this...

I'll Start,

2011 Specialized Enduro Expert Frame - the only stock item on this bike. Built from the frame up with:
1. Rock Shox Lyrik 2 step 160mm travel with DH damper and Maxle.

2. Monarch Plus Rear Shock - PUSH'ed

3. Mavic 819's laced to King Hubs w/DT Swiss Comp double-butted spokes, alloy nipples. Rear hub w/Fun Bolts

4. XO Shifters and XO Rear Derailleur.

5. Race Face Atlas 175 Crankset with e13 chain guide, bash guard and RF Crank End Caps.

6. Chris King serviceable Bottom Bracket.

7. Cane Creek 110 headset.

8. Thompson Elite seatpost & Specialized Henge 143 saddle.

9. Maxxis Minion EXO 3C 2.5 DHF tires - tubeless.

10. Wipperman Connex chain and SRAM 990 11-34 cassette

11. Syncros Bar - 720mm width/1.5" rise and 60mm/8 degree rise stem.

12. Formula the One Brakeset, 180mm rotors, and Calipers w/Goodridge G* pads

13. Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals.

32 pounds as shown.:cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#1,195 ·
Sorry to derail the topic but I need some urgent advice. Mine is the 2014 enduro Evo expert with ohlins shock.

Took the bike to my usual trail with some small drops and rock gardens. After about an hour, the shock started acting up and kept giving me a feeling of bottoming out.

Eventually this happened when I took a small jump.

Has anyone on ohlins encountered this before? It looks like the screw end of the piston rod worked loose from the linkage.

I am going to send it to my bike shop tomorrow and I hope this is nothing major.

#1,198 ·
jscramst - just get the RF BB.. Not impressed with SRAMs plastic nonsense.

des1512 - I've never seen that before! I have seen the rear shock mount/yoke fixing bolt come loose, but not the actual rod coming apart like that. Definitely a warranty issue. See your dealer.
Piston drag, either due to misalignment or something failing, will cause the piston to separate from the shaft eventually. Happened to my romic shock (but truth be told, it was the 3rd failure of that shock, didn't help that Romic was lying to me during the entire process and previous failures). Supposedly the specialized yoke design puts a lot of stress on this part of the shock, it may be better with an air shock and the larger shaft to deal with the stress?

#1,200 ·
I went with the EVO comp simply for the fact I couldn't see the extra almost $2500.00 dollars worth it. I was also lucky enough to find a friend selling 2014 evo comp frame only. Currently just put a 888 on the front to run it on the DH side versus aggressive AM.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

#1,203 ·
The Ohlins is supposed to have a spherical bearing at the front mount to alleviate this issue. CCDB's are available with that front mount as well, but for some reason I don't think they use that version on the Demo/Evo.

I will say that I haven't seen anything like this on my 2013 Expert Evo with DB coil. I beat on it pretty hard, but I'm not super heavy. I did have the bolt attaching the yoke to the shock loosen up once, easily fixed with some loctite.

#1,205 ·
Here's the new ride after breaking my old xc frames chain stay. Wound up getting a superfly fs for xc and this beast at a great deal for everything else. Originally wanted the matte black but I'm loving the blue/black. I'll get better shots up soon.

P.s those pedals aren't on it. This was from the day I got it.
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#1,209 ·
Right, but you don't need to remove the entire link (not sure if that's what des1512 was asking?). On that linkage (called the S-Link in Spec docs), there are 3 bolts along each side. You remove the middle bolt on each side (the bolts that are attached to ends of the shock yoke). Then you remove the main bolt at the front of the shock and it drops out, and then you can access the bolt at the back of the yoke.

Torque specs in these docs:
http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/OM0393_revB.pdf
http://service.specialized.com/coll...ets/pdf/2013_enduro_schematic_specs_37_r1.pdf

#1,211 ·
#1,213 ·
Did anyone else's Enduro Expert Carbon 29 come with an extra spacer on the crank spindle's driveside? There's a ~2.5mm wide spacer on mine, sandwiched between the dust shield and the usual spacer that's like 15mm wide. I can still use my entire gear range without it protesting (being noisy nor reluctant to shift) in the 42t cog in back, but it allowed me to fit a 36T up front for an even wider gear range that lets me mash on the downhills. The shain's angle does look pretty extreme though. Surprised me that there was room for the the 36t. I seriously wondered how they did it and pulled out my tape measure to verify CS length, 16.9" measured level to the ground, and 17.1" measured from center of BB to center of rear axle (angled up). That chainstay bridge plate most do some serious work.

#1,214 ·
Hi,

I want to order a Monarch Plus Debon Air for a 2014 26" Carbon Expert Enduro frame (which will arrive in a couple of weeks).
Now Specialized lists the 2014 26" Enduro with a 8.5x2.25 shock. (Same stroke as the 29er, which has less travel)

The 2013 had a 8.5x2.5, although the linkage looks different on the 2014 model.

So I´d need to order the 8.5x2.25inch shock - but that somehow seems strange, as the 29er has only 155mm, the 26" is said to sport 165mm, but the linkage looks very similar.

Is this a cost saving thing and the 2014 26" Enduro actually might have only 155mm travel?

Maybe someone with a 2014 26" Enduro could let the air out of the shock and confirm if it really is only 2.25inches in stroke.

I´d be super grateful!

#1,215 ·
Hi,

I want to order a Monarch Plus Debon Air for a 2014 26" Carbon Expert Enduro frame (which will arrive in a couple of weeks).
Now Specialized lists the 2014 26" Enduro with a 8.5x2.25 shock. (Same stroke as the 29er, which has less travel)

The 2013 had a 8.5x2.5, although the linkage looks different on the 2014 model.

So I´d need to order the 8.5x2.25inch shock - but that somehow seems strange, as the 29er has only 155mm, the 26" is said to sport 165mm, but the linkage looks very similar.

Is this a cost saving thing and the 2014 26" Enduro actually might have only 155mm travel?

Maybe someone with a 2014 26" Enduro could let the air out of the shock and confirm if it really is only 2.25inches in stroke.

I´d be super grateful!
This is the shock I bought for my 2014 Enduro 26 comp. It works awesome. I was reading on the debonair requiring high pressures to get appropriate sag numbers, so I just bought the Autosag version.

RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Rear Shock with Autosag for 2013 2014 Enduro 26 B1 | eBay

#1,216 ·
@tmoney:

Thanks for your response!
Did you check if the seatstay brace or the rear tire contacts the seattube at full compression?
You probably get a bit more than 170mm of travel with the 2.5" stroke shock?
I am really puzzled what´s up with the shock dimensions on the 2014 Enduros...

#1,218 ·
I have a 2015 Enduro which was released mid 2014 ! it is the Expert XL 29er. Great ride and love it when it is working. However the Cane Creek DB air shock it came with lasted 2 rides. The dealer put the RockShox Monarch on for me straight away and ordered a new Cane Creek from Spec, that was several weeks ago and a replacement has still not arrived, apparently there are a lot of these being sent back, according to my dealer. Then yesterday the DT Swiss rear hub, I have heard this model is only made for Spec, cracked while peddling up hill. This on a bike just a few weeks old. Not happy.

#1,222 ·
We tried a set of 27.5 wheels with 2.35 Hans Dampf on my 2013 SJ Evo and a Friends 2013 S-works Enduro 26". The center tread just barely rubbed the arch on the chain and seat stay. I bet the 2.25 Hans Dampf would clear on both bikes, but not by much.

#1,223 ·
Thanks a lot @ Mr.Lynch
I 'm going to test a 2013 Expert with this combo solution.
In general the Schwalbe tires got a bigger shoulder than equivalent, probably with a maxxis Ardent o Mavic for the sake of experimenting should be good.
It's a pity Specy have no plans to supply a chainstay for 650B.

[Edit] I'm 1.81 tall, the L size might be too large foe me? [end of OT]

#1,226 · (Edited)
2000 Specialized Enduro Comp - still going strong!

2000 Specialized Enduro Comp (17")
2000 Fox Vanilla R Coil-Over
2001 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 MCR w/ ECC (130mm)
1x9 Shimano XT drivetrain (Raceface Ring)
Custom Upper Chain Guide
Shimano Saint Platform Pedals
Maxxis High Roller 2.35 tires (MaxxPro 60a, Kevlar)
Titec DH kTi Saddle
Oury Grips
Stock everything else

Note: Old and newer photo of bike is before and after converted to 1x9.

Attachments

#1,231 ·
2000 Specialized Enduro Comp (17")
2000 Fox Vanilla R Coil-Over
2001 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 MCR w/ ECC (130mm)
1x9 Shimano XT drivetrain (Raceface Ring)
Custom Fabricated Chain Retention Device
Shimano Saint Platform Pedals
Maxxis High Roller 2.35 tires (MaxxPro 60a, Kevlar)
Titec DH kTi Saddle
Oury Grips
NiteRider Lumina 700 Light
Stock everything else

Note: Photo of bike is before it was converted to 1x9. Pedals are in the mail. I will post a newer picture when she is ready.
Awesome! I still ride my 2001 Enduro a few times a week. These things never die. I have upgraded quite a bit. The latest are a new stem and Specialized wide flat bar. I'll post some new photos after my next ride. Looking forward to photos of a 1x9, as this is my next planned update too.

#1,227 ·
2006 Specialized Enduro Expert

My new trail & enduro racing rig, 2006 Specialized Enduro Expert.

SR Suntour Durolox 180TA (180mm/140mm)
Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Shimano XT 1x10
Avid BB7 180mm (F) 160mm (R)
Azonic Outlaws 20mm (F) 135x10 (R)
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 (F) Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 (R)

Attachments

#1,229 ·
DB Air vs Inline on Enduro

Can anyone comment on ride of a Cane Creek DB Air versus the new Inline on a 2014 Enduro? I know they both have had issues. I also saw that the 2015 Sworks comes with an Inline instead of the DB air. I'm trying to figure out which version of the 2014 Enduro 29 to buy.

#1,232 ·
Can anyone comment on ride of a Cane Creek DB Air versus the new Inline on a 2014 Enduro? I know they both have had issues. I also saw that the 2015 Sworks comes with an Inline instead of the DB air. I'm trying to figure out which version of the 2014 Enduro 29 to buy.
If you are to compare with DB Air with CS, difference is only Weight savings from what I have been told. The Inline on some Enduros have been recalled due to an issue with the compression i think. refer to the CC website.

I friends Inline on his Endo 29er has already blown due to the above, CC is fixing it but had to ship to USA (from OZ) for repairs.

For 300grms only, gimme the DB Air CS as looks mean!! haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.