Quote Originally Posted by jaqkar View Post
    @FastBanana You still have this shock?
    Yes, PM sent

Also, for my Enduro:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi all.

Opinions of your enduro types if you please.
    I currently am in the position of looking a the new 2017 enduro elite 29er. Looks lovely, and I can pre-order one for $6400 NZD. I am considering this, or a Santa cruz hightower, tallboy 3 or even a pivot or yeti. Maybe a trek fuel ex....so on. This would be my one bike, here in South island NZ lots of big ups and down rough smooth etc.. I am not an enduro racer, but I want to be able to be confident with the bike on rough descents.

Any advice on the options please, that is really over my budget already but if I am going to be wowed by it and it makes me ride more / better/ with a bigger smile surely it's worth it? That's what i'm telling the wife

Is the 2017 elite the best trail / enduro single quiver bike for me?
    Last edited by froutts; 11-28-2016 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Bloody spill chuck

mtbr member
    May 2015

Maxxis Shorty 2.5WT 29 anyone?

Has anyone tried the 29x2.5" wide trail Maxxis Shorty? I'm wondering if it will fit the 2015 Enduro Expert Carbon 29 front and rear. I'm guessing the front should have no issue. Maxxis says the tire is optimized for a 35mm rim, so I'm thinking about having a set of WTB Asyms built since I can't seem to find anything in that width. Or maybe I could have a set of Frequency i29s made so that I can use narrower tires if I want to. 29 is close enough to 35 right? I'm open to suggestions on alternatives as well. I'm looking for a good all-purpose setup for the trails. Thanks in advance.

Bicycle, Mountain, Shorty*

Asym | WTB

http://www.wtb.com/products/frequency-team

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have the 2.5" Shorty on a 2015 Elite 29 up front and it works fine. In the rear I have the 2.5" DHF, which is also no problem. Rim width is 29mm.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Awesome, thanks! How much space is there between the tire and the frame and fork on the sides and top? Do your front and rear tires look and measure about the same width? Are you happy with the Shorty?

Quote Originally Posted by the-ninth View Post
    I have the 2.5" Shorty on a 2015 Elite 29 up front and it works fine. In the rear I have the 2.5" DHF, which is also no problem. Rim width is 29mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm running 2.5 Shorty front and 2.3 Shorty rear. Awesome tire. Review:

Review | Maxxis Shorty 2.3 and 2.5 | Ride Report - WheelSizeAgnostic

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FluorescentPinkPanda View Post
    Awesome, thanks! How much space is there between the tire and the frame and fork on the sides and top? Do your front and rear tires look and measure about the same width? Are you happy with the Shorty?
    I recently posted some photos here: 2014 Enduro 29er - largest tire?

I think the 2.5" Shorty should fit in the back as well.

I am happy with the setup and the Shorty. I am not a fast rider, cornering is not a big topic for me, but grip on steep descents with loose earth, rocks and roots is, and the Shorty works fine here, both in dry and wet conditions.

I bought the combo after reading this review:

The best enduro tire: seven combos in comparison | Page 2 of 9 | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Who is using a repair stand and how are you clamping your Enduro? I'm not loving the idea to clamp it on the dropper post and the frame is too burly for my stands jaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    not loving it neither but I clamp on the dropper post as well. I have the front wheel touching the ground to reduce the stress on the dropper post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am using the top tube, the clamp goes into the front space of the X, directly above the down tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quite a large diameter there, too big for my clamp. What clamp are you using?

I am using the top tube, the clamp goes into the front space of the X, directly above the down tube.

mtbr member
    Yeah I do the same, but I don't clamp it, just leave it open rather than try and clamp it down on the angle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quite a large diameter there, too big for my clamp. What clamp are you using?
    I use a Minoura W-3100 bike work stand. No problem to fit and clamp the top tube. Just have to be careful to not scratch the downtube with the clamp mechanism.
    Last edited by the-ninth; 12-07-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I always used the top tube in my Ultimate Pro (feedback sports) lightly clamped.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by froutts View Post
    Hi all.

Opinions of your enduro types if you please.
    I currently am in the position of looking a the new 2017 enduro elite 29er. Looks lovely, and I can pre-order one for $6400 NZD. I am considering this, or a Santa cruz hightower, tallboy 3 or even a pivot or yeti. Maybe a trek fuel ex....so on. This would be my one bike, here in South island NZ lots of big ups and down rough smooth etc.. I am not an enduro racer, but I want to be able to be confident with the bike on rough descents.

Any advice on the options please, that is really over my budget already but if I am going to be wowed by it and it makes me ride more / better/ with a bigger smile surely it's worth it? That's what i'm telling the wife

What is your riding style? I ride an SB5c on the trails at the top of the south, and it handles everything fine. I'm looking at the E29, but purely out of interest, I don't actually "need" a longer travel bike, and I can see the Yeti will still get 80% of the riding.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Where did you guys buy your 2.5" Shorty? It seems like the only way to get them is to order them directly from Maxxis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I'm running 2.5 Shorty front and 2.3 Shorty rear. Awesome tire. Review:

Review | Maxxis Shorty 2.3 and 2.5 | Ride Report - WheelSizeAgnostic

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ordered mine in 29" from bike24.com:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anyone selling Roval 650 fatty front wheel by any chance?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Wow, the price is almost half what Maxxis charges! I'm in the US. I'm thinking about buying from them. I hope there won't be any surprises. Thanks!

Ordered mine in 29" from bike24.com:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Is anyone running a 29x2.60" Nobby Nic on the back? I'm curious about that tire too. I wonder if it will fit the back of a 2015 Enduro 29 (aluminum rear triangle). Can't decide between that and the Maxxis Shorty 2.5WT. I'm a little concerned about the rolling resistance of the Shorty. Does it bother anyone?

EDIT: Nevermind. I read the reviews in the links above and decided to get a pair of Shorties from Bike24.
    Last edited by FluorescentPinkPanda; 02-13-2017 at 03:37 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Or you can wait a year or two and buy it for thousands less =) I see NOS stuff on eBay once in a while (brand new bike and even a frame with less than 1 mile of riding on it for ~$1300 USD).

Specialized Enduro FSR Expert Carbon 29: Medium SRAM XO1 Rock Shox Pike 1x11 NEW | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by froutts View Post
    ...surely it's worth it? That's what i'm telling the wife

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I demo'd the Carbon Elite 29 last week. It's rides like a burlier bike than the old model.

Weighed it at 31.5lbs w/o pedals, compared to my mates stock 2014 Expert 29 @ 28lbs 11ozs.

In my opinion it's less of a one quiver bike now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    A few weeks late, but i clamp my enduron on the smal diagonal pipe from the seattube down to the main fronttriangel. The Parktool pcs9 clamp fits perfect!

mtbr member
    Hello, Everyone. I hope you're well.

I just bought a used 2014 Specialized Enduro 29 S-Works, and I'm super stoked with her! She's so awesome!

The SWAT system gives me on-bike storage for a small multi tool, and the top cap keeps the chain tool and spare link. If I place a seat bag for my spare tube, however, the rear tire will chew it up when the suspension compresses if the dropper is down. How are you guys storing your tubes and other accessories for short (no Hydration pack) rides?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Guys I have a 650b 2015 Carbon Expert in Medium and I think the bike is borderline for me and a small might be better suited. Long shot but is there anyone looking to upgrade from small to medium. If it is an s-works frame we can talk about a small price adjustment or whatever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    Hello, Everyone. I hope you're well.

I just bought a used 2014 Specialized Enduro 29 S-Works, and I'm super stoked with her! She's so awesome!

The SWAT system gives me on-bike storage for a small multi tool, and the top cap keeps the chain tool and spare link. If I place a seat bag for my spare tube, however, the rear tire will chew it up when the suspension compresses if the dropper is down. How are you guys storing your tubes and other accessories for short (no Hydration pack) rides?

Thanks for the help!
    Maybe this would work for you: Mountain Bike Action Magazine | Product Feature: Specialized SWAT Storage Solution

mtbr member
    Thank you for your suggestion, jaqkar! I looked at the video and found those options interesting, but not applicable. The Swat Box is sort of what I'm looking for, but it wouldn't fit in the Enduro.

As you can see (sorry for low quality picture), there's no space for the water bottle cage to move up, and it fits the EMT tool well-enough below it, but something larger wouldn't fit.

I guess I'll most likely have to go for a Frame Bag that mounts on the top tube and grabs either the steerer tube or the seat post, but I don't like the idea of it rubbing against my carbon frame .

Any other suggestions will be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Ah yes you are correct it will not fit there, my bad. I was going to say that a frame bag is probably your best bet then. Put some protective vinyl stickers on the top tube then. I am tired of my hydration pack but need it because I carry a full face helmet for stage races.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the follow-up! I'll ask about the protective stickers and look at frame bag options.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thank you for the follow-up! I'll ask about the protective stickers and look at frame bag options.

Cheers!
    Sure thing. Check out: https://www.allmountainstyle.com/

mtbr member
    Great recommendation! Thank you, jaqkar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Great recommendation! Thank you, jaqkar.
    Looks like a good product and here is a pic of it on top tube of enduro. Not loving that they have their logo everywhere though. That sh*t will make me not buy it lol.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1480528204

mtbr member
    Looks like a good product and here is a pic of it on top tube of enduro. Not loving that they have their logo everywhere though. That sh*t will make me not buy it lol.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1480528204
    Indeed! Function-wise it looks great, but I agree with you on the excessive logo placement. Not too keen on that .

I found this, and it looks like something worth trying, though I'd wrap the tube in Saran Wrap or something and just stick the tube between the rails and the seat with some zip ties to hold it in place.

mtbr member
    I tried putting the tube under the seat, and barely managed to do so. It's cramped and doesn't look too nice, though. Maybe with a black bag or a small, waterproof pouch. Still need to try it out and check if the tire will catch what I didn't manage to fit under the seat. It's a 29er tube. 27.5 or 26 will probably fit better in that small space. The zip tie should stop it from wiggling out.

WIP concept pic:

I placed my pump on the fork. The base has been zip-tied to the lowers and some Gorilla Tape has been used to improve friction as well as reduce rattling noise. My hope is that, with this mounted in front of the fork, it will fall towards the outside, or the spokes will hit it away before it gets a chance to get jammed between the spokes and the fork if it were to fall off for some reason.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, and so are alternatives!

mtbr member
    Honestly I'd rather use a pack than tape much more than a tube to the bike. If that rubber band snaps and the pump goes into your spokes...
    I know people don't like packs, but I have tools and spares in there so I never have to worry if I've left something behind (I run tubeless but carry a tube).
    I sweat so much anyway that a sweaty back doesn't worry me.
    If you were going minimalist then I would tape a tube to the bike, then take a decent multi tool and CO2 rather than trying to attach a pump to the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notched View Post
    Honestly I'd rather use a pack than tape much more than a tube to the bike. If that rubber band snaps and the pump goes into your spokes...
    I know people don't like packs, but I have tools and spares in there so I never have to worry if I've left something behind (I run tubeless but carry a tube).
    I sweat so much anyway that a sweaty back doesn't worry me.
    If you were going minimalist then I would tape a tube to the bike, then take a decent multi tool and CO2 rather than trying to attach a pump to the bike.
    Thank you for your comments, Notched.

I agree with you on the pump into the spokes issue. I'm not entirely sure whether that will be good enough to hold the pump through really rough stuff or for an extended period of time, though it worked well for about 3 months on my Rallon before I zip-tied the base to the downtube. If it were to release the pump and it managed to get into the spokes in a certain way, I'm sure I'd have a terrible time because of it.

I could try to zip-tie the base to the bottle cage, though. I might have enough clearance there for it to hit neither the crank nor the downtube when it rattles.

I like my pack, actually, but for short rolls in the morning on consecutive days, my pack ends up terribly smelly, so I have to unpack everything and wash it frequently or run a smelly pack. Suggestions on this issue are also welcomed!

I don't like how the tube looks at the moment, but that's the only spot on the Enduro where I don't think it's offensive to my sight, LOL. I think taping it to such a nice frame would be blasphemous!

mtbr member

2017 S-Works Enduro FSR 29/6Fattie

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-endurotemataweb.jpg
    14 S-Works Crux - XTR Di2
    16 S-Works Crux - XTR Di2
    17 S-Works Enduro FSR - XTR Di2
    17 Intense ACV - XTR

mtbr member
    I like my pack, actually, but for short rolls in the morning on consecutive days, my pack ends up terribly smelly, so I have to unpack everything and wash it frequently or run a smelly pack. Suggestions on this issue are also welcomed!

I don't like how the tube looks at the moment, but that's the only spot on the Enduro where I don't think it's offensive to my sight, LOL. I think taping it to such a nice frame would be blasphemous!
    Maybe tape it into one of the gaps behind or in front of the X brace? As for the pump, if you are creative you could use one or two of the bolts for the cable stays on the downtube? As for the smelly pack, I can't do much to help, I tend to leave mine in the sun to dry after each ride, doesn't seem to smell that much.

mtbr member
    Maybe tape it into one of the gaps behind or in front of the X brace? As for the pump, if you are creative you could use one or two of the bolts for the cable stays on the downtube? As for the smelly pack, I can't do much to help, I tend to leave mine in the sun to dry after each ride, doesn't seem to smell that much.
    Thanks for the tips, Notched. I'll see how that goes.

The cable stays work, but it means having a muddy pump with this weather. I'll try setting the pack out to dry in the sun.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We are getting the new 2.6" Spez tyres in March. Anyone have experience with such a wider tyre on a 27.5 Enduro with the Roval Fattie 650b rims?

The Fastest of Bananas

650b Enduro, fits the Rekon. Measures at 2.6.

The Fastest of Bananas

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A question for enduro evo 650b owners here. How does it pedal uphil with the stock van r shock? Is it much worse than a standard enduro or yt capra or similar.

mtbr member
    Got bored with the black on my 2013 E29 comp SE so I painted it (with a twist).

Waiting for a new dropper to arrive, and looking for a new shock.

mtbr member
    Looks good, what is the fork? Maybe Monarch Plus for the rear? I had one for mine before going coil.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Thats a Formula fork. Havemt seen one in the wild yet

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Got bored with the black on my 2013 E29 comp SE so I painted it (with a twist).

Waiting for a new dropper to arrive, and looking for a new shock.

Nicely done!

mtbr member
    That's indeed a Formula ThityFive 160mm fork. I trimmed the decals a bit, the bright red '35' didn't match with the frame. Very supple fork. I was looking to get an Öhlins shock, but some don't reccommend that, so I think the best option is a Fox Float X2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Guys if you wanna pep up your Pike a bit then I highly recommend the Vorsprung Luftkappe with SKF green seals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was finally successful in the quest to find a replacement for the Specialized Command Post dropper post with more travel. My choice was limited because I have a Medium frame and am on the taller end for that frame, and with long legs. Thus I wanted something with as much travel as possible, but that still fits in the limited available space of the frame.

First I looked at the available 170mm options. 9point8 and Reverb in 170mm were too large. Vecnum Moveloc would have worked, because of the external cable routing it needs a bit less space in the frame, but the company has severe difficulties with production and has not been able to deliver for quite some time.

But now the German company BikeYoke released their Revive dropper post, including a 160mm variant. Their construction seems a bit different than that of the other vendors and despite having only 10mm less travel, it is 5-7cm shorter than the 170mm options and only slightly longer than the Specialized Command Post in 125mm. So I preordered one in November and got it delivered last week, as promised by BikeYoke.

Another reason for making it a great option for Specialized bikes is that the release mechanism is nearly identical to that of the Command Post. I only had to replace the small barrel at the end of the inner cable but otherwise could reuse the Specialized trigger and the internally routed cable.

From my initial impression, the Revive looks very solid, but I was not yet able to ride with it (temperatures here are currently well below zero degree Celsius) and of course cannot yet say anything about long-term reliability. However, nothing is perfect, so I also have two things I do not like so much. First, adjusting air pressure seems quite cumbersome, you need tools and an included adapter for that. And second, the post has no scale for insertion depth printed on it. So there is no easy way to remember your choosen insertion depth.

Hope this helps maybe the one or another here who might also be looking for a dropper post with more travel than Specialized offers.

Cheers, Robert
    Last edited by the-ninth; 01-22-2017 at 01:10 AM.

mtbr member
    @the-ninth: I have the same problem, a Medium frame, but 25cm of post showing, so I need/want a dropper with a substantial drop. I looked at a number of options. The 9point8 Fall line should fit, as well as the derivates from Raceface and Easton. But reliability issues reported in the forums scare me. The Fox post should fit with only 6mm to spare, so I won't risk it as there is a 'pipe' running across the frame where the bearings for the suspension are (23.5cm down from the top of the seatpost). So yes, the only viable option is the Revive. So I'm looking to order one in the near future.

I also tried the Nobby Nic 2.6" 29er tires in the rear triangle and they fit. This is on the standard rims that are 23.5mm inside width. So on wider rims, they might not fit. The NN 2.6 is only slightly larger than a 2.4" Hans Dampf on the same rim.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Does anyone have a front derailleur on their 2015 Enduro 29? I read on page 6 of this manual that it's possible, so I was wondering. Here's the manual. I hope I'm looking at the right one and understanding it correctly. https://media.specialized.com/suppor...0000040894.pdf

I'm getting ready to build mine up, and I've selected an 11-46 for the rear, but I want a really low 1st gear, so I was toying with the idea of getting a 26T front chainring, but then I might not be satisfied with my top speed, so that's why I'm thinking about going with a 2x setup.

Even if I go with a 28T to match the low gear of the latest Enduro 29 (30T going to a 50T), that might not give me enough top end. I have another bike with a 38/24 going to an 11-42, so I'm going to keep it in the 24T to see how things go. I ride trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Does anyone have a front derailleur on their 2015 Enduro 29? I read on page 6 of this manual that it's possible, so I was wondering. Here's the manual. I hope I'm looking at the right one and understanding it correctly. https://media.specialized.com/suppor...0000040894.pdf

I'm getting ready to build mine up, and I've selected an 11-46 for the rear, but I want a really low 1st gear, so I was toying with the idea of getting a 26T front chainring, but then I might not be satisfied with my top speed, so that's why I'm thinking about going with a 2x setup.

Even if I go with a 28T to match the low gear of the latest Enduro 29 (30T going to a 50T), that might not give me enough top end. I have another bike with a 38/24 going to an 11-42, so I'm going to keep it in the 24T to see how things go. I ride trails.
    What you are looking for is called a taco blade and makes putting a front mech possible. I have 11-42T at the rear and have 3 blades for front that I change depending on what I am riding. 30/32/34. I most keep on my 30 as I do a lot of climbing. I really think 11-46 with a 30/32 should give you what you need plus leave you with some top end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You need a taco blade and the proprietary SRAM FD that goes with it. You should be able to find these for sale on ebay or pinkbike. I picked up a spare set for $30 about 2 years ago. Worst case you can order from your Spesh dealer but that shouldn't be necessary, so many people took these off. I don't know why the FD has a proprietary mount, I still can't see any reason they couldn't have just made it a DM style. Surely it would have cost less to form the blade differently than to have SRAM make a custom FD but whatevs.

You may or may not find this post interesting, at one time I was interested in putting Di2 on the bike so converted my taco blade to DM. I will say while the SRAM FD worked fine the side swing Shimano works even better. I still think about Di2 but I hate the idea of using batteries on my mountain bike and really the shifting is top notch anyway.

How to mount a DM type FD on your E29

As you can see I run 2*11 with a 22t low gear and there are lots of days on the trail+road where I use the full range.

ABC= Always Be Climbing
    FD for life !

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have a question about rear brake hose routing. I'm building up a 2015 Enduro 29, and on the seatstay right next to the brake post mount there is a threaded hole in the middle of the F in FSR. What is that hole for? I was wondering if it was used for securing the brake hose or something else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    ABC= Always Be Climbing
    Put that chain lube down! Chain lube is for climbers only.

mtbr member
    I have a question about rear brake hose routing. I'm building up a 2015 Enduro 29, and on the seatstay right next to the brake post mount there is a threaded hole in the middle of the F in FSR. What is that hole for? I was wondering if it was used for securing the brake hose or something else.
    Mine is a year older. Holds the brake line.
    Brake Line

mtbr member
    Sometimes that brake guide causes the hose to route in a strange way where it might not move smoothly through the whole range of the suspension. Try it with the shock removed and make sure it moves to your liking. With my previous brakes I decided using that guide sucked and just zip-tied the cable there with some soft-side velcro underneath to put the cable at a better angle. Then I moved to Saint brakes, and the banjo is on the other side of the mounting bolt so now it doesn't make sense to attach the hose to the seat stay at all:

So, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    After 1 1/2 years I am finally content with my build, at least for now.

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2015-specialized-enduro-elite-29-resized.jpeg

A 2015er Specialized Enduro Elite 29, with some modifications:

• Cockpit: 35mm stem and 800mm bars from Syntace, with Ergon GE1 grips
    • Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 cranks, 170mm, with 26T chainring and Specialized Bennies pedals
    • Brakes: SRAM Guide Ultimate
    • Dropper post: BikeYoke Revive 160mm
    • Tires: front Maxxis Shorty, back Maxxis DHF, both in 2,5“

Cheers, Robert

mtbr member
    [*]Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 cranks, 170mm,
    Nice build. Looks like it will take anything you can throw at it. Were 170mm cranks standard? Mine are 175mm and I'd like to go shorter.

mtbr member
    After 1 1/2 years I am finally content with my build, at least for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 Specialized Enduro Elite 29 Resized.jpeg 
Views:	232 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	1123454

A 2015er Specialized Enduro Elite 29, with some modifications:

• Cockpit: 35mm stem and 800mm bars from Syntace, with Ergon GE1 grips
    • Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 cranks, 170mm, with 26T chainring and Specialized Bennies pedals
    • Brakes: SRAM Guide Ultimate
    • Dropper post: BikeYoke Revive 160mm
    • Tires: front Maxxis Shorty, back Maxxis DHF, both in 2,5“

Cheers, Robert
    Nice build, Ninth. Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice build. Looks like it will take anything you can throw at it. Were 170mm cranks standard? Mine are 175mm and I'd like to go shorter.
    The bike came with 175mm X1 cranks and 30T. Went for the XX1 to get 26T, since the mountains here in Austria are not doable for me with 30T. Bought the XX1 used from a friend, so the 170mm just kind of happened. I also regularly ride some technical uphill and figured the shorter cranks won't hurt, but I think in practice the difference is neglible.

What's your reason for wanting to go shorter?

Cheers, Robert
    Last edited by the-ninth; 02-25-2017 at 12:51 AM.

mtbr member
    What's your reason for wanting to go shorter?
    Cheers, Robert
    Mainly to reduce pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is any one running a bike yoke with a coil setup, like the Cc IL coil or others just curious on fitment and any real world reviews.
    Pics would be nice.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone looking for an Ohlins TTX22M shock? I have one I am trying to sell but no takers on Pinkbike as of yet..fresh service from Specialized and hasn't been mounted on my bike since I got it back. Comes with a 522 and 548 (currently mounted) springs. Might be the wrong thread but wanted to get it out since this is an enduro only thread. Looking for $500Official Specialized Enduro Thread-p5pb14357259.jpgOfficial Specialized Enduro Thread-p5pb14357258.jpgOfficial Specialized Enduro Thread-p5pb14357257.jpg

mtbr member
    What stroke is it? 57mm, 63mm or 70mm?

mtbr member
    ... and eye to eye? (8.75" for Enduro Evo, 8.5" for all other models)

Or maybe simpler, what bike did it come off of?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What stroke is it? 57mm, 63mm or 70mm?
    57mm is the stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    ... and eye to eye? (8.75" for Enduro Evo, 8.5" for all other models)

Or maybe simpler, what bike did it come off of?
    sorry about that..I had it mounted to a 2016 Enduro Elite, so non-evo model.

again my bad on not knowing all the sizes...but I do know its an amazing shock for the rowdy crowd!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey guys just got my s-works 650b, bike looks awesome I'll have to wait for the snow to be gone to test it out. Had a few questions. Wondering about the carbon traverse wheels? People say they have been popping spokes easy? Thinking about trying to sell them and get an aluminum wheel set ? Also wondering on the stock stem it comes with 60mm. I will be doing mostly bike park and rough downhill trails on this bike. Is 60mm what I should run or I was thinking maybe 50mm? And the ohlins shocks been reading some bad reviews on that? I tried the 3rd highest setting on compression and didn't seem much stiffer than 1 or 2. Bike hasn't even seen dirt yet

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmoto View Post
    Bike hasn't even seen dirt yet
    Then stop worrying and start riding.

I am sure that for almost every part of every bike you'll find bad reviews somewhere.

And for the stem, get a feel for the bike as it is first, and then try another stem and see how that compares. Best way to make such a kind of decision is based on your own experience.

mtbr member
    Time for another project...

I am Specialized
    Fresh WT (wide trail) rubber and new oval spiderless n/w chainring! 🚵 🤘 👌

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Fresh WT (wide trail) rubber and new oval spiderless n/w chainring! 🚵 🤘 👌

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Looks awesome, man! Kudos 👍

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What's the widest tire a 15' enduro 650b can run? I'm looking for something to handle narly New England singletrack. Wet rocky rooty ect

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dcycleman View Post
    What's the widest tire a 15' enduro 650b can run? I'm looking for something to handle narly New England singletrack. Wet rocky rooty ect
    Are you talking about the rear stay? If so the largest I have put in there was a 2.5" Butcher DH and that was almost too wide because when mud/rocks get in the tread it will start to rub on your stays...which takes the paint right off. But it will fit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by asboites View Post
    Are you talking about the rear stay? If so the largest I have put in there was a 2.5" Butcher DH and that was almost too wide because when mud/rocks get in the tread it will start to rub on your stays...which takes the paint right off. But it will fit!
    Cool thanks man, I guess I'll go with a 2.4 then. Mabe maxxis minion 2.4

mtbr member
    May 2015

Orange you happy its an enduro?

Well I am about finished with this 2016 Specialized Enduro Elite 650b..I never got around to upgrading the wheels because the Roval's I got from another model worked like a charm for the time I needed it. Looking to get a 2017 Enduro Elite later this spring so if anyone is looking for a bike this one will be up for sale soonish.

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-img_0662.jpg

Frame: 2016 Specialized Enduro Elite 650b Medium
    Fork: 2016 Fox Factory Float 36 (160mm)
    Shock: 2017 Push Industries ElevenSix
    Stem: Renthal Apex 50mm
    Bars: Renthal FatBar Carbon 780mm
    Grips: Renthal Lock-On Kevlar
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 series
    Brakes: Sram Guide RSC 200mm Front / 180mm Rear
    Dropper Post: 9point8 Fall Line 150mm
    Seat: Specialized Power Expert 155mm
    Downtube Guard: Rockguardz
    Crank: Shimano Saint M820's 170mm
    BB: Wheelsmfg PF30
    Sprocket: Renthal 1XR 30t
    Drive train: Sram GX Casset and derailleur
    Chain guide/Bash Guard: Oneup Components ISCG05 Bash Guide
    Wheels: Roval Traverse Fattie 650b
    Tires: Specialized Butcher DH 2.5" Front / Butcher 2.3" Rear
    Sealant: Stans
    Pedals: Crankbros Mallet DH
    Fender: Muckynutz
    Extras: Specialized right side water bottle cage with EMT tool, 3M wrapped rear seat stays, Lizard Skins Large frame guard on downtube.

mtbr member
    I went with the Raceface 150mm dropper. Fits like a charm and works ok. It's still early though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm still running the stock Specialized dropper which has significant setback regarding the seat position. Can anyone comment on their experiences moving to a non-setback post? My worry is that I'll wind up running the post way back on the rails and I've actually bested two seat rails on a hardtail that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Can anyone comment on their experiences moving to a non-setback post?
    In my case the seat was way forward on the stock post with setback, so moving to a non-setback post made a lot of sense. I am 5'10" on a Medium frame, and choose the seat position based on standard bike fitting methods and also the fact that having the seat further back causes me knee and back pain. Always thought there must be something wrong with either my body geometry or Specialized's choice of a setback post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting, I'm also 5 10 on a M. I have a mid-sole foot placement tendency which moves me about an inch further Forward than the typically clip less position. I had to bump the stem out to 50mm to feel like I wasn't sitting totally upright.

Any 5 10ish folks on a large with non-setback post?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As said on here many times, Specialized are short in the reach even with the 25mm seatpost set back. Not great for longer torso riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Im 5'10" and I was on a medium for a while with a non setback post. and while I was comfortable some of the time I always felt that I was hanging over the front of the bike way too much putting me in a bad position while going downhill. So I just bought a large frame to try out. Im in the process of swapping the parts over. Ill post more about it when I get some riding time in.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just bought a used Command Post 125mm, and through some parts of the travel, I can feel something that can described as gear grinding. Through that portion, it will let me stop at any height. I have another 125mm Command Post that only lets me stop at 3 heights. Are there different versions of the 125mm internally-routed Command Posts? I'm wondering if there is something wrong it or if that's how it's supposed to behave.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The current iterations have 12 steps within their adjustment range. The detent notches are noticeable as it goes through the travel. These models are denoted with "cc" as in here: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...st-ircc/104981

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I picked up a new 2016 Enduro Comp 29 from my shop for $2200 out the door. 2 rides on it and I couldn't be happier. It's a big change from my 13 year old 26" steel hardtail, but I acclaimated quickly. This thing doesn't flinch. I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Can't speak to the grinding but I believe there are indeed two different types of Command Post. The 3 position version and the multi position version. Not sure they make the 3 position one any more.

They're fairly easy to strip down. Some good videos on youtube or vimeo showing the steps. Way easier than a reverb to strip.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks so much. That is what I needed to hear. Mine has a "cc" in its name.

Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    The current iterations have 12 steps within their adjustment range. The detent notches are noticeable as it goes through the travel. These models are denoted with "cc" as in here: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...st-ircc/104981

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BoardinBob View Post
    Can't speak to the grinding but I believe there are indeed two different types of Command Post. The 3 position version and the multi position version. Not sure they make the 3 position one any more.

They're fairly easy to strip down. Some good videos on youtube or vimeo showing the steps. Way easier than a reverb to strip.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just picked up a 15 specialized enduro comp 29". It was a little spur of the moment so I hadn't done as much research as I usually do. I'm having a tough time figuring out what the "comp" build entails. Does anyone know the difference between it and any other enduro?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The Comp is aluminum, has different drivetrain components, has a different rear shock, etc. Take a look at their website to compare the differences.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bike-archive

How much did you get it for?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I didn't know they kept specs for older bikes on the site, thanks! I paid 1900 after tax. It was a last min "might as well stop in here first" as I was on my way to drop 2700 on a giant trance. I'm happy with the decision

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Whoa that's a great price! What shop?

In looking at a '15 elite 29. Stock roval wheels and SRAM drivetrain. I'm pretty into it, but had a question. Is it possible to get a shimano freehub fo these wheels? I am fairly certain i can get a full SLX drivetrain online for the cost of just the SRAM cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yes, that is a great price. I did however get my Enduro 29 Comp for just under $1500 shipped from a seller on eBay. I've seen a couple other go for around $1500-1600 recently. Mine came with Roval wheels with a Shimano-compatible freehub, which was exactly what I wanted because I wanted to use the 50T OneUp Shark (I love it!).

You might want to try asking Specialized about the freehub. They respond quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Whoa that's a great price! What shop?

In looking at a '15 elite 29. Stock roval wheels and SRAM drivetrain. I'm pretty into it, but had a question. Is it possible to get a shimano freehub fo these wheels? I am fairly certain i can get a full SLX drivetrain online for the cost of just the SRAM cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ended up getting a comp for $1600 yesterday. If I had only been patient another day i could got an elite for $1500! Oh well, I'm still stoked on the comp i got and the price i paid. Spent a bit of time fitting a reverb and some wider bars. Going to replace the fox ctd with a monarch. There's one for sale nearish to me that has the 650b linkage. Could be fun to play with that as well. Also ordering a 30t direct mount ring to go with some carbon bb30 cranks i bought by mistake last year.

Phone is not letting me add a pic so, another time for that. First ride is in 8 hours.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thoughts on the Ohlins STX vs the Fox CTD? A big part of me wants to ditch the Fox and get something different. On the other hand, when I was riding the other day I didn't think about the shock at all except to turn it to climb mode on the dirt road climbs. Has anyone made the same move? What benefits did you feel?

Here's a pic of my new baby. 3rd Enduro over the years and really enjoyed day 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Enduro Thread-0519171508.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Looking into buying an Enduro, (2017 Lowest Model 650B)

How does it handle slow speed technical climbs and rock gardens? My local has a bunch of these but still had quick flowy descents, drop offs etc. If it doesn't handle these things well, what would you guys recommend?

Members who have read this thread: 271