Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If you look at the shocks, you can see in the second picture that the EVO kit that comes with the Fox RC2 has a special spring retainer. And in the first picture, the RC4 has the stock split retainer that comes stock from Fox. You can also see in the first picture that the spring retainer sits differently.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by camarosam View Post
    So how does the bike feel?
    Do you still have 6" of travel in the rear? Or do you have more now?

This is kind of weird because the bike was designed for a 2.1 stroke and you've made it into a 2.5 stroke. This is quite interesting.
    Bike feels like it should, much better than before, it is still 160mm of travel. No change in stroke just a better performing shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Gecko View Post
    Bike feels like it should, much better than before, it is still 160mm of travel. No change in stroke just a better performing shock.
    Thats pretty sweet, with all the adjustments that the rc4 has to offer as well.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 enduro comp that has been upgraded with the most amazing hammerschmidt crank set and X0 components all around. I'm looking for a new set of lighter yet strong wheels that some of you guys have upgraded too. I'd like to build them with the hope pro 2 hubs because I ride a lot of trails with hikers and ipods.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i like my crossmax xt wheels. They actually did some dh duty at Stevens Pass bike park and they seem to have held up just fine. not sure if they have the right number of spokes for you though.

Those atomlab pimplites that were posted earlier seem like a good option too.

-joel

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    i like my crossmax xt wheels. They actually did some dh duty at Stevens Pass bike park and they seem to have held up just fine. not sure if they have the right number of spokes for you though.

Those atomlab pimplites that were posted earlier seem like a good option too.

-joel
    With the rims being processed in T10 method, oversized nipples and Philwood spokes, I think it can be abused in anyway. I would said it is a good long term investment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Gecko View Post
    I have 2 questions for you-

1- Do you actually own an Enduro?
    2- Have you actually done this mod?

I am showing all of you this so if anyone else wants to do this mod they have the correct information.

This pic shows the 8.5x2.5" shock installed with NO spacer.

This pic shows the Evo link that is designed to use that size shock.

This last pic shows at full compression the frame is nowhere near touching.

Yes I own an Enduro a I also have the Evo Extension but Iīve never tried it with 2,5" stroke.

The thing is, that you said: "with the Evo link, the way it connects to the shock limits the travel to 2.125"" which is wrong if you use the the Evo Spring retainer.
    Now, as I see your pics, I understand way this mod works in your case. Itīs because of the use of a non-custom retainer.
    With the retainer installed on the Evo models, this wonīt work.

mtbr member
    Another possible problem is the distance from the chainrings do the ground at full compression, if you land off a jump on more agressive soil with rocks and roots you might be in problems :-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post
    Yes I own an Enduro a I also have the Evo Extension but Iīve never tried it with 2,5" stroke.

The thing is, that you said: "with the Evo link, the way it connects to the shock limits the travel to 2.125"" which is wrong if you use the the Evo Spring retainer.
    Now, as I see your pics, I understand way this mod works in your case. Itīs because of the use of a non-custom retainer.
    With the retainer installed on the Evo models, this wonīt work.

After looking at retrofreds pics I can see the different spring retainers, you're right and I stand corrected. The Evo spring retainer must come with the kit if you get the links and the shock together. I used the standard off the shelf retainer that comes with the fox shock, when I intalled the links I didn't measure the stroke I just confirmed that there was no frame contact.

I would highly recommend to anyone putting on a new shock to double check the frame clears at bottom out. Last thing you want is to have frame contact at full compression.

mtbr member
    Hy there,i have a 2010 Enduro comp and change my wheels to sturdier ones,Superstar Evo Switch Hubs with Mavic 521 rims the problem is that the 10mm axle doesnīt sit correctly on the rear dropouts,what should i do?Try another 10mm axle?

Last edited by bullit43; 07-12-2012 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^ I think the Lyric comes with 20 mm axle so 10mm axle will not fit. You need to buy 20mm adaptors from Superstar.

mtbr member
    Sorry,forgot to say that is in the rear dropouts ( the frame not on the fork ),but thanks anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, of course(10mm) stupid me! I have one set of Switch Evo hubs too but my rear hub is QR so I cant help you, sorry.
    Last edited by JaMMu76; 07-12-2012 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMMu76 View Post
    Yes, of course(10mm) stupid me! I have one set of Switch Evo hubs too but my rear hub is QR so I cant help you, sorry.
    I wouldn't entirely know, but I know DT Swiss makes a conversion kit to make a 9x135 QR into a 10x135 through axle. Google it and see what they look like, its specifically designed for a 9mm rear end and will work. Whereas the one you have know, was originally designed for a 10mm rear end and may be different. Hope this helps.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

catracho in aztecaland
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post

If you look at the shocks, you can see in the second picture that the EVO kit that comes with the Fox RC2 has a special spring retainer. And in the first picture, the RC4 has the stock split retainer that comes stock from Fox. You can also see in the first picture that the spring retainer sits differently.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    So definitely the stroke on this is reduced right? Sorry I am getting confused.

I don't see how the links being different (shorter?) will modify the travel or shock's stroke. That might just affect the bottom bracket height and bike's angle. All of this given the shock still has the same eye-to-eye length 8.5".

The shock must have a limited stroke to still be having through leverage ratio 160 mm rear wheel travel.

So, is the stroke reduced or not?

P

eBiker
    Back on track...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Enduro Thread-enduro_2012.jpg  

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-rock-frop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have the broken frame still, I'll buy the linkage off you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Hy there,i have a 2010 Enduro comp and change my wheels to sturdier ones,Superstar Evo Switch Hubs with Mavic 521 rims the problem is that the 10mm axle doesnīt sit correctly on the rear dropouts,what should i do?Try another 10mm axle?

Did u have any washer on the 10mm rear ? Mine atomlab comes with thick washer

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post

Very nice build!

What rise is your handlebar? I'm planning on changing my 720mm, 1'' rise protaper for a wider bar and I intend to get a renthal, but not sure about going for a 20mm or a 30mm rise...

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks nice! Great do-it-all bike!

catracho in aztecaland

Specialized Enduro 2013

Any of you planning to upgrade to this beauty?

Specialized S-Works Enduro 2013
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2013-specialized-s-works-enduro-mountain-bike-600x362.jpg  

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Possibly

It will be interesting seeing how the Evo model with 180 front/rear handles the bigger hits. I could feel my 2011 Enduro flexing at the rear so not sure now if I just want to haver a lighter Enduro like the one above and a Demo8 which could be built fairly light too.

Am certainly looking forward to understanding how they are going to position the three varieties of Enduro, the 100mm SX, the 165mm air model and the 180mm SXTrail version. Would be cool if they were based off the same frame and a clevis & fork swap allowed you to setup as each type.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if they are going to be increasing the travel to 180mm on the enduro evo for 2013, will be curious to see if they will continue to make the sx trail for 2013? Crist by the time my back heals, the 2013 will be out and my 2011 will out dated. Oh well, going to be riding my 2011 for years to come. Something tells me once my back heals, I won't be riding as aggressively as I once did. It sucks to get old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tugamik View Post
    Very nice build!

What rise is your handlebar? I'm planning on changing my 720mm, 1'' rise protaper for a wider bar and I intend to get a renthal, but not sure about going for a 20mm or a 30mm rise...

Cheers.
    Renthal 20mm rise cut to 740mm wide :P stiff as hell.

mtbr member

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast