Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Camber Thread

1M views 5K replies 748 participants last post by  aznmode 
#1 · (Edited)
well, the first thread seemed to have a lot of speculation and questions...
now that the camber is beginning to trickle into shops and hit the trails, i figure we'd get a new thread going with some real life experiences and pics...from us who are really riding them (not just getting them for free to test ride).
here's my 2011 camber elite..size medium..

here's what i've changed:
-sram x.7 drivetrain
-truvativ stylo crankset
-pg990 cassette
-pc991 chain
-phenom saddle
-sunline v1 am wheelset
-maxxis advantage front / maxxis larsen tt rear tires (set up tubeless)
-esi chunky grips
-crank bros egg beater sl pedals
-truvativ stylo race 100mm stem
-truvativ stylo race seatpost

weighs in at 27lb 10oz...which for a 5" travel trail bike is pretty good imo.

See less See more
#4 ·
Man. The Camber seems so legit. I enjoyed my FSRxc, but it always seemed like it was the cheap bastard child of specialized's FS line up. The Camber on the other hand, looks to have fixed that.
Anyone else ever think the same thing?

#443 ·
My sentiments exactly. This is a very smart marketing move. The only thing that I can't figure out is why it took them 20 years to do it. Any 1st year marketing student will tell you that if you want to sell a different Volkswagen you have to change the name because people will picture the VW beetle when you tell them you bought a Volkswagen. Think about it like this: Toyota - Lexus. Honda - Acura. The entire FSR"XC" designation did nothing but confuse everyone including me at least at first until I researched it further. Camber is a cool name. Excellent choice. Well done, better late than never.

#5 ·
TRY2KPUP said:
Man. The Camber seems so legit. I enjoyed my FSRxc, but it always seemed like it was the cheap bastard child of specialized's FS line up. The Camber on the other hand, looks to have fixed that.
Anyone else ever think the same thing?
just wait til you get on a camber and pedal it...the fsr xc is a pogo stick compared to the new suspension layout by specialized.

#7 ·
Im looking forward to seeing and reading more about them too. My fiancee and I are looking for an FSR bike for her, and have been eye balling a few Mykas, as well as a SWEET 2010 Safire Expert (for the brain) over the past few months. Im wondering if there will be a D4W model of this here Camber?

Either way, sweet bike!

#9 ·
Oz said:
That is a nice looking bike! Why did you change out the parts you did? What crank was on the original bike? Just curious. Looks great, I hope more people join in and post their Cambers as more of them hit the shops.
stock crank is in the first pic- deore octalink..
swapped parts cause i needed a longer stem (shipped with a 75mm) and seapost (shipped with a 350mm)...
had a line on the sunline wheelset, so i took advantage and i prefer sram over shimano.
absolutely no reason to swap any parts other than wanting to, not needing to..
outta the box, this thing was ready to rock!!
i'm kind of a funny guy i guess....the elite only comes in one color combo, and i wanted to make sure mine was set apart...

#23 ·
johnny the boy said:
aren't you 6' and your bike's a medium?
I am 5ft. 11in. and about 202lbs......and yes, it is a medium. I have a rockhopper also that is a 17" bike and it feels small, but I love it feeling that way......like a BMX bike.

The medium Camber felt a little cramped in its stock form for me, but after a few changes, I love it. It still feels small enough in the technical stuff to throw it around, but also feels tall and comfy when I'm just pedaling in the saddle. I think it's a perfect balance of a bike.

It came home at 31.6 lbs.......it's at just under 30lbs right now.

#24 ·
dstdub said:
bspate, is that a storm sl rotor on your camber?

if so, where did you get it?
If you mean brake rotors......then no, they are the stock ones that came with the piece of crap brakes. I hate them and they have way too much play in the levers and are very weak. It's a good thing I don't brake a lot where I ride.

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulic brakes......but I know they have to be better than what I'm dealing with right now. My BB5's on my cheaper bikes are better.......so something is not right. I may need to look up bleeding and adjusting hydraulic brakes....hhmm.

What's the best rear hydraulic brake setup for under $150??

#25 ·
bspate said:
If you mean brake rotors......then no, they are the stock ones that came with the piece of crap brakes. I hate them and they have way too much play in the levers and are very weak. It's a good thing I don't brake a lot where I ride.

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulic brakes......but I know they have to be better than what I'm dealing with right now. My BB5's on my cheaper bikes are better.......so something is not right. I may need to look up bleeding and adjusting hydraulic brakes....hhmm.

What's the best rear hydraulic brake setup for under $150??
Ya man....I can't believe they would put those brakes on that bike. Sometimes specialized really disappoints. The camber looks good at $1650, reality is..it's really closer to $1900 due to immediate need for brakes..etc.
You might be able to adjust the pads in closer. Look up the "business card" adjustment and see if it will work for those. The thickness of a bus. card is what you want to see between rotor and pads.

#513 ·
i dont know what morons you've had set up your bike/ brakes but ive been on my camber for 3 months and my dracos are very precise and responsive the only thing they lack is on the fly lever adjustment like the elixir levers but i mean its only the cheapest price point that they come on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.