Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Camber Thread

1M views 5K replies 748 participants last post by  aznmode 
#1 · (Edited)
well, the first thread seemed to have a lot of speculation and questions...
now that the camber is beginning to trickle into shops and hit the trails, i figure we'd get a new thread going with some real life experiences and pics...from us who are really riding them (not just getting them for free to test ride).
here's my 2011 camber elite..size medium..

here's what i've changed:
-sram x.7 drivetrain
-truvativ stylo crankset
-pg990 cassette
-pc991 chain
-phenom saddle
-sunline v1 am wheelset
-maxxis advantage front / maxxis larsen tt rear tires (set up tubeless)
-esi chunky grips
-crank bros egg beater sl pedals
-truvativ stylo race 100mm stem
-truvativ stylo race seatpost

weighs in at 27lb 10oz...which for a 5" travel trail bike is pretty good imo.

See less See more
#227 ·
Scooper said:
I have a Camber Expert and love it. The BB creaked some on the first few rides and I figured it was loose. Took it back to my LBS who said it was indeed loose and took care of it. Then I got it home and it creaks as much or worse than before I took it in! What would cause a brand new bike with a freshly tightened bottom bracket to creak like that? I even rode out of the saddle to make sure it wasn't my seat creaking. Any thoughts? :mad:
Might have come loose again which could mean a faulty part. They should be able to replace it for you.

#229 ·
Asta said:
I'm sure it will be painted with a protective clear coat. An anodised finish would probably wear off and wouldn't be able to be different colours.
Actually, the finish is pretty darn fragile. If there is a clear coat, it is matte and very very thin.

While I like the color scheme of the bike, I'm a bit bummed on the durability of the finish. I had rub marks three places on my Camber Pro after my first night ride from the velcro I used to strap down the battery and cable for my bar light.

#231 ·
Asta said:
yip, the specialized website says it has a clearcoat.

Its probably just as good as most other bikes. I'm sure yours is no worse than mine and all my friends bikes have plenty scuffs and marks too.
I expect some rub marks, scuffs, and even chips over time, but these showed up after one 1.5 hour ride in exactly the points of contact of the velcro straps. Just for comparison's sake, it is a good deal less durable than my '09 Rockhopper's for sure. The Rockhopper has yet to exhibit any rub marks from the same kind of mounting after many more hours of use.

Not a huge deal to me, just wanted to contribute that my experience w/ the finish on the 26" Pro has shown it to be a good bit less durable than I would have hoped. This is pretty much my only complaint w/ the bike though.

#232 ·
Sid Nitzerglobin said:
I expect some rub marks, scuffs, and even chips over time, but these showed up after one 1.5 hour ride in exactly the points of contact of the velcro straps. Just for comparison's sake, it is a good deal less durable than my '09 Rockhopper's for sure. The Rockhopper has yet to exhibit any rub marks from the same kind of mounting after many more hours of use.

Not a huge deal to me, just wanted to contribute that my experience w/ the finish on the 26" Pro has shown it to be a good bit less durable than I would have hoped. This is pretty much my only complaint w/ the bike though.
Hmmm thats interesting Sid. I have an 09 Stumpy HT and the paint is rock solid on that thing. The only time I've nicked it down to the metal was a fall which my toe spikes ever so slightly grazed the down tube and on the seat tube where I had a stupid day and a pedal wrench slipped out of my hand and nicked the paint. Thanks for the heads up.

#238 ·
i just ordered a camber pro this morning and was super stoked......until i did my taxes tonight and found out i owe $4000 between federal and state. not good, i have learned a value lesson, not to buy a bike before doing your taxes

at least of will have a nice bike to ride to work because i wont be able to afford the gas to drive there........

#239 ·
Tall guys / XL frame?

I'm 6'5 and the Camber is on my shortlist of bikes I'm looking at to make a switch from HT to full suss bike (it will be the first full suss bike for me).

There's an LBS that has a demo bike in a Large frame, but I've got zero chance of getting a ride on an XL. So I'll probably demo the Large because that's my only option but I'm wondering if anyone of a similar height has bought a Camber and if so which size frame did you go for?

#240 ·
Has anyone seen the latest issue of MBA? I saw they did a review on a specialized camber!

I definitely love my Camber, it's awesome! I've had the opportunity to take it to del cerro, santa rosa plateau, and the fullerton loop so far. The camber means buisness.

Anyways, I got my green hydraulic lines to add some spice, also more comfy grips and handlebar!

#241 ·
rodwell said:
I'm 6'5 and the Camber is on my shortlist of bikes I'm looking at to make a switch from HT to full suss bike (it will be the first full suss bike for me).

There's an LBS that has a demo bike in a Large frame, but I've got zero chance of getting a ride on an XL. So I'll probably demo the Large because that's my only option but I'm wondering if anyone of a similar height has bought a Camber and if so which size frame did you go for?
I'm 6ft and ride a L, so I'm guessing it will be way too small for you.

#242 ·
rodwell said:

At 6'5" a XL would prob be right. I'm 6'2" and ride a large stumpy fsr. It will depend on your inseam and what type of trails you ride.
Coming from a HT to a Camber will be like driving a pinto vs. a caddy. You will love riding all over again. If I could only see your face when you bomb down that first hill or climb that first rocky ledge. You will be in heaven...buy it and enjoy. The camber is a great bike if a stumpy is a little to expensive.

#243 ·
samuel1996 said:
Hi TJM0031 and larlev,

I ride my camber for the fifth time today, when I shift to largest rear gear during climbing, it went dis-engaged where I have to spend 20 minutes (first time I am in this situation) to pull out the chain and try to fix it back to the position.

I do notice that the last 2 time during downhill the chain give me some "clicking" sound, any idea/ suggestion if I should take out say one link from my chain to try out?
Sorry for the late response...I agree your limit screw is more than likely not adjusted right causing the der. to shift to far throwing chain. I always, always take a few links out...your issue has to do with adjustment more than chain length.

#246 ·
I think we talked in your other post...gota try them both out and make a decision, I would check and see what kind of deal you can get on the pro 29er. They have an elite at my lbs now for $1750 plus tax. Looks like they are quoting you full msrp. Shud be able to pull at least 10% off msrp

#247 ·
Yes, I think we did and I appreciate the input. I stopped at the Fisher dealer and rode the Rumblefish some and now that bike is at the top of the list (for now anyway). It looks like the Rumblefish I and the Camber Pro would cost close to the same and they weigh about the same. I really wish I could ride the camber pro but all they have is the elite. They are indeed charging full retail where the GF dealer is knocking a little off the price. It's a hard decision and I'm really doing a lot of reading about both bikes. I like the component spec on the Camber Pro slightly better with the exception of the Triad shock. The extra travel on the RF is nice and the rear shock is sweet. Just hard for me given that $3000 +\- doesn't grow on trees. I've got to make this a good decision given that this bike will have to last for a while.

Todd

#249 ·
TX-BoneDigger said:
I like the component spec on the Camber Pro slightly better with the exception of the triad shock.

Todd
Remember the triad 2 on the pro has the pro pedal, so it is a step up from the triad 1 thatdoes not have pro pedal. Granted it's still not an rp23 with 3 stages of pp, I'm sure it will dothe job for me just fine.

From what I have heard from others the triads are improved from the less than stellar performance of a couple years back.

#250 ·
My custom Camber

I finally purchased the Camber frame and finished assembling it. I purchased it replace my 2001 Giant NRS 3 frame that broke back in November. Several of the parts came from the NRS but I made some upgrades and replaced some parts:

Frame: Specialized Camber small
Wheels: Mavic CrossRide
Front tire: Tioga TerraFirma 2.1
Rear tire: Panaracer Cinder 2.1
Brakes: Formula Oro Bianco with 6 inch rotors
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Cranks: XT 175 mm Hollowtech II
Front derailleur: XT
Rear derailleur: SLX
Handlebar: Easton EA30 27 inches
Stem: Ritchey comp 130 mm
Seatpost: Gravity Dropper Turbo with handlebar remote
Saddle: Specialized Phenom
Fork: RockShox Recon 351 with 85-130 mm travel adjust. Set up to 120 mm
Grips: RaceFace ODI
Pedals: Time Attack

Polar CS200 computer/heart rate monitor

Attachments

#251 ·
Camber Comp Coming!

Ordering my Camber Comp tomorrow! Can't wait to get it. I will be upgrading, putting my Talas,XO.Thomson and Crossmax Enduro tubeless on it.Not sure how much it will weigh stock or upgraded. Might even try my Fox RP2 to caompare ride with the Ario. I am ordering a medium. I'm 6' tall and the large just felt a bit big for me. I wish the medium had the 90mm stem rather than the 75mm so I could judge fit a bit better.Any reviews on the Tektro brakes? Hope to post pics soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.