Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Camber Thread

1M views 5K replies 748 participants last post by  aznmode 
#1 · (Edited)
well, the first thread seemed to have a lot of speculation and questions...
now that the camber is beginning to trickle into shops and hit the trails, i figure we'd get a new thread going with some real life experiences and pics...from us who are really riding them (not just getting them for free to test ride).
here's my 2011 camber elite..size medium..

here's what i've changed:
-sram x.7 drivetrain
-truvativ stylo crankset
-pg990 cassette
-pc991 chain
-phenom saddle
-sunline v1 am wheelset
-maxxis advantage front / maxxis larsen tt rear tires (set up tubeless)
-esi chunky grips
-crank bros egg beater sl pedals
-truvativ stylo race 100mm stem
-truvativ stylo race seatpost

weighs in at 27lb 10oz...which for a 5" travel trail bike is pretty good imo.

See less See more
#106 ·
I've had a Camber Comp since mid September and am impressed with the geo but it is time to lighten it up and install some higher end components. I should of waited and just ordered an Elite but it was an impulse buy and just had to have it that day. Most of my riding is all over Texas.
So far my list is:

Stans Arch laced to Hope pro II tubliss
Carbon bars ??
Carbon Post ??
Formula Brakes
Forks ??
Rear shock ??
Stem ??
and I am also wanting to change out the whole drive drain most likely to XTR

If you could build your camber any way you wanted on a budget around $2K what would you do?

#108 ·
Franco0220 said:
I've had a Camber Comp since mid September and am impressed with the geo but it is time to lighten it up and install some higher end components. I should of waited and just ordered an Elite but it was an impulse buy and just had to have it that day. Most of my riding is all over Texas.
So far my list is:

Stans Arch laced to Hope pro II tubliss
Carbon bars ??
Carbon Post ??
Formula Brakes
Forks ??
Rear shock ??
Stem ??
and I am also wanting to change out the whole drive drain most likely to XTR

If you could build your camber any way you wanted on a budget around $2K what would you do?
A total of $2k or $2k worth of upgrades? No offense, but I would put the bike up for sale or try taking it back - I know one of the LBS in Dallas area has a 30 day exchange. I would then buy the Elite and have less $ involved in upgrading.

#112 ·
So...I'm going to be the negative nancy in this thread. Stoked for all of you that got your bikes and I hope you enjoy them a ton! but....I test rode a 29er Camber at Rockville Park last week for an event my shop had. I set sag up appropriately and have ridden a stumpy fsr 26" and now my 2011 enduro.
Does anyone who has a 29er Camber find it extremely uncomfortable in the saddle? It had the proper saddle size, 143mm and with proper sag set up, I still found the bike a pain to ride. Hopefully im just weird and no one else feels the same way, but I was curious.

#113 ·
HannahMontana said:
A total of $2k or $2k worth of upgrades? No offense, but I would put the bike up for sale or try taking it back - I know one of the LBS in Dallas area has a 30 day exchange. I would then buy the Elite and have less $ involved in upgrading.
Usually in the past I have built from frame my last bike was a Yeti 575 and a Stumpy FSR before that, like I said it was an impulse buy, plus I have a very bad habit of not being able to leave anything alone (from firearms to cars and anything in between) no matter what parts are on it from the factory, even if I had waited for the elite I would do the same to an extent, I guess I get more satisfaction in upgrading than the initial purchase lol

#114 ·
Franco0220 said:
Usually in the past I have built from frame my last bike was a Yeti 575 and a Stumpy FSR before that, like I said it was an impulse buy, plus I have a very bad habit of not being able to leave anything alone (from firearms to cars and anything in between) no matter what parts are on it from the factory, even if I had waited for the elite I would do the same to an extent, I guess I get more satisfaction in upgrading than the initial purchase lol
I know that feeling. My Comp was an impulse (should have done the Elite). Have upgraded shifters and rear der., seatpost and wheels (had to do the wheels -the crappy 445 bent..)

#118 ·
Larno said:
Heya, I know this post is weeks old and was probably the case at the time but the elite comes in 2 colour combo's now well atleast there were 2 options avalible to me here in New Zealand. I just picked up my elite at lunchtime like 3 hours ago and its sitting in my car while im stuck at work! man i can't wait to get home tonight hehe, I'll post up some pics of mine later on but I went for this colour in the Camber elite, it looks awesome, its a bronze'ish and black combo, the rear shock isnt white in Rl though its blck with the roxshox logo on it:

I wish I had that color option when I got mine. I'm fine with the white, I just like that one better (maybe I'd feel the same way about the white if I had gotten that one first). I actually like the Comp's scheme the best.

#119 ·
Hey rjg5......did you notice a difference with swapping out the 445 wheels??

They seem pretty light and sturdy to me so far.....but would be willing to get some new ones if the weight difference and handling was noticeable.

The wheels look to be weighing in at about 1900 grams for the set, but wasn't sure if it would be worth dropping $500 to save 200-300 grams of weight.

I don't have much experience or knowledge in the wheelset department.

#121 ·
Help me out here guys:
I looked at a Camber Elite today and thought it was very nice. I come from a bmx and dj background. I've owned and raced bmx xc cyclocross and road. The only full sus I've owned was a GT from '93. I am very used to and prefer the solid stiff feel of an aluminum hardtail that is very quick handling ala bmx. That said, age and old injuries are catching up so my lower back is more open to another full sus. I've test ridden one 29er HT and didn't like it at all. I actually went in today to look at a light 26 HT. They sold it so I was looking around and the Camber just looked sweet. So now I'm really thinking hard about this bike. I live in very flat terrain with tight techy trails. Tons of roots and sand. At least 50% of my riding will be on roads, paths, and commuting. I pretty sure I want a 26 but I'm just not sure if I want to go HT or FS. I'll do some small jumps and drops but my extreme days are behind me. And finally, the weight of it. Almost 30lbs and my current bike is barely 20 but fully rigid.

All of that said, I guess my questions are: do you think I'd enjoy this bike? Should I give 29 HT more thought? A 26 HT or maybe a lighter 26 FS?

#123 ·
HT all the way

Like Johnny the Boy said, a Camber won't be ideal for road riding. Personally, I don't own a Camber, but I am extremely interested in purchasing one in the future (probably next year). If you're road riding 50% of the time, then I would use the $1800 that you'd spend on a Camber Elite and get either a lower end Stumpy HT or a high end Rockhopper. From the type of riding you do, I think that a quality HT will serve you better than a FS. Just my 2cents.

#124 ·
OK guys, I'm really having a hard time deciding what bike to get and need help. Leaning Camber (that's why I'm here) but nagged by the Stumpy FSR comp. Price aside, would you go Camber Expert, or Stumpy FSR comp? My last bike was a '98 M4 Stumpy hard tail. I rode it until this year and don't buy bikes often. I mostly ride XC trials and rarely ever jump. Just need to soak up the bumps on my beat up back. These would mostly be 2 to 5 inch tall roots, occasional 1 foot drops, and general single track small bumps. I test road a Camber comp but no LBS has FSR comps to test. I do some off road tri's but am a mid-packer at most races. I am worried that the FSR might feel weird having all that travel. Then again, the Camber isn't that much less travel wise. I'm sure either one would "work" but I want some honest opinions. This will be the bike I ride for the next 5 year at least. So, Camber Expert or Stumpy FSR comp? Thanks for your advice

#125 ·
I honestly think it's really close Scooper. I would ride both, but you've said you can't do that. The Stumpy has better components and more travel, but costs a bit more. I have a Camber Comp, and I hate the rear shock, but the Expert does not have the Ario.

Sorry that's no help, but thought I'd say I think between these two it comes down to personal choice, not which is better. If money was not an argument, I would buy the Stumpy with more travel.

#126 ·
Just ordered a 29er pro model. Nice rootbeer and white color. Pro model has the front and rear fox shocks, carbon SRAM cranks. Should help with the weight a little...

Anyone ride a camber pro or have any info on weight??

LBS said it should be in early December!!

#127 ·
What is weird is that the ONLY thing I am hesitant about the Stumpy is the extra travel? Maybe it isn't that big of a deal. Am I crazy (loaded question) for not wanting too much travel? Problem is I am ignorant of FS to a large degree. Wish I could ride em both. Or buy them both!

#128 ·
johnny the boy said:
28lbs 10oz outta the box
27lbs 10oz currently
Nice lookin' bike.

What did all the upgrades cost ya ?

For $250 more you coulda got the Expert, which would have upgraded the fork to the Reba, and dropped about a lb right away wouldn't it ?

#129 ·
Scooper said:
What is weird is that the ONLY thing I am hesitant about the Stumpy is the extra travel? Maybe it isn't that big of a deal. Am I crazy (loaded question) for not wanting too much travel? Problem is I am ignorant of FS to a large degree. Wish I could ride em both. Or buy them both!
Not at all. I would be all over a Stumpy FSR EVO myself if it had 20mm less travel.

As it is I'm about 50/50 on whether to do the SJ and spacer down the fork and shock or order a Camber Pro and slap an RP23, X.0 RD, X9 shifters, and some new wheels on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.