Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Camber Thread

1M views 5K replies 748 participants last post by  aznmode 
#1 · (Edited)
well, the first thread seemed to have a lot of speculation and questions...
now that the camber is beginning to trickle into shops and hit the trails, i figure we'd get a new thread going with some real life experiences and pics...from us who are really riding them (not just getting them for free to test ride).
here's my 2011 camber elite..size medium..

here's what i've changed:
-sram x.7 drivetrain
-truvativ stylo crankset
-pg990 cassette
-pc991 chain
-phenom saddle
-sunline v1 am wheelset
-maxxis advantage front / maxxis larsen tt rear tires (set up tubeless)
-esi chunky grips
-crank bros egg beater sl pedals
-truvativ stylo race 100mm stem
-truvativ stylo race seatpost

weighs in at 27lb 10oz...which for a 5" travel trail bike is pretty good imo.

See less See more
#57 ·
@johnny, no worries, fits me perfectly.

Tips the scale at 26.2 lbs, here are some details:

- Truvative Noir crank
- SRAM X0 shifters/rd
- Formula K24 hydro / R1 formula rotors
- Hope Pro 2 hubs / Am Class Rims/spokes
- CB Candy SL pedal
- 2.1 Nev front/ 2.0 Karma back
- SL-K Fsa Carbon Hb / SL-K stem/ Oury grip
- Cane Creak Carbon headset / Carbon bottle cage
- Fizik Gobi saddle

#58 ·
Finally sat on and ordered a Camber yesterday - should have it in my mucky paws by middle of this week. Slightly excited as its my first full sus. It's not what I initially planned to get when I decided to go FS a couple of months ago but after riding it and the one that I had planned to buy I'm really pleased things have worked out as they have.

Have gone for the Elite due to better component spec over the Comp, though having ridden the Comp it does seem like a good buy for the relatively small cost.

Roll on the weekend and taking it for a proper blast!

#59 ·
nunomaia said:
I have a couple of questions for folks riding the Camber Comp:
How does the Ario rear shock work regarding suspension bob?;
How are the Tektro brakes regarding stopping power and feel?.
I'm around 155lbs, and use PP almost exclusively. I tested on some paved bike-paths (hard to look down on trails, and roots could affect travel gasket) and get absolutely no bob at all except when standing up and *really* pounding on some steep hills. Even then it's maybe 5% travel. If you're heavier you might see some bob. If you're clyde-ish you may see some bob even when locked out -- the Ario manual shows weight max for lock-out... above a certain weight lockout becomes more propedal-ish.

Can't offer an opinion on the brakes as my elite has Elixr's.

#60 ·
GotoDengo said:
I'm around 155lbs, and use PP almost exclusively. I tested on some paved bike-paths (hard to look down on trails, and roots could affect travel gasket) and get absolutely no bob at all except when standing up and *really* pounding on some steep hills. Even then it's maybe 5% travel. If you're heavier you might see some bob. If you're clyde-ish you may see some bob even when locked out -- the Ario manual shows weight max for lock-out... above a certain weight lockout becomes more propedal-ish.

Can't offer an opinion on the brakes as my elite has Elixr's.
you shouldn't have to worry about blowing the shock with the PP engaged unless doing some significant drops or casing jumps

try to learn to operate the switch with muscle memory

#61 ·
Lambdamaster said:
you shouldn't have to worry about blowing the shock with the PP engaged unless doing some significant drops or casing jumps

try to learn to operate the switch with muscle memory
Que? I haven't had any issues bottoming out. I was relaying my experience with the PP platform and how stiff it is for my weight. For heavier riders, I'm guessing you'll see some bob in PP or even lockout. But thanks for the info about bottoming out. I set mine to about 80% of travel on the roughest trail around here and keep it there. Hasn't gone any further than that.

I do have to reach down to switch b/t PP and open -- I guess that's muscle memory, as the switch is on top and it's pretty easy to reach without even looking. But with all the ups and downs I usually keep it on PP and don't need to mess with it.

#62 ·
GotoDengo said:
Que? I haven't had any issues bottoming out. I was relaying my experience with the PP platform and how stiff it is for my weight. For heavier riders, I'm guessing you'll see some bob in PP or even lockout. But thanks for the info about bottoming out. I set mine to about 80% of travel on the roughest trail around here and keep it there. Hasn't gone any further than that.

I do have to reach down to switch b/t PP and open -- I guess that's muscle memory, as the switch is on top and it's pretty easy to reach without even looking. But with all the ups and downs I usually keep it on PP and don't need to mess with it.
I was replying to where you said:
(hard to look down on trails, and roots could affect travel gasket)
I interpreted that as you look down to the lever to switch it and you are concerned you may blow a seal on the shock going over bumps with PP engaged.

#63 ·
My Camber Comp currently weighs 29.94 lbs.

I have upgraded the stem, handlebars, and seatpost, and currently running it as a 1x9.

What would the best upgrades be to shed a couple of pounds off of this thing??

#64 ·
Crash4 said:
@johnny, no worries, fits me perfectly.

Tips the scale at 26.2 lbs, here are some details:

- Truvative Noir crank
- SRAM X0 shifters/rd
- Formula K24 hydro / R1 formula rotors
- Hope Pro 2 hubs / Am Class Rims/spokes
- CB Candy SL pedal
- 2.1 Nev front/ 2.0 Karma back
- SL-K Fsa Carbon Hb / SL-K stem/ Oury grip
- Cane Creak Carbon headset / Carbon bottle cage
- Fizik Gobi saddle

Nice!

With that kind of gate, that pic is definitely from the PI :p

#66 ·
Lambdamaster said:
I was replying to where you said:

(hard to look down on trails, and roots could affect travel gasket)

I interpreted that as you look down to the lever to switch it and you are concerned you may blow a seal on the shock going over bumps with PP engaged.
Ah, I see. No I was referring to looking down to see if the the shock was traveling at all while I was pedaling in PP. Staring down while pedaling on narrow, rooty singletrack would seem dangerous, and roots and rocks would cause the shock to engage.... making it hard to tell how stiff the platform was (the "travel gasket" I was referring to was the external o-ring on the stanchion -- probably bad wording and the source of confusion, sorry).

Staring at it while hammering on it on a paved path is pretty safe, seems a good control test of the PP platform, and I could make sure any movement of the o-ring wasn't b/c I hit a pothole/crack. Was just testing the pedaling platform. Haven't geeked out on it yet to test small bump compliance.

As an aside, I had the rear shock pressure too high for too long... maybe 40% travel. As I started hitting the more advanced sections of the area trails, I never knew what might be around the corner so I was wary of bottoming out the rear. I bounced around quite a bit, almost like my hardtail. After learning the trails better and hitting the biggest stuff they had to offer, I gradually opened it up to around 80% travel and softened up the rebound. Wow! Like I got a brand new bike all over again. Half of the roots just -- phhht -- up and disappeared :cornut:

#67 ·
bspate said:

I have upgraded the stem, handlebars, and seatpost, and currently running it as a 1x9.

cassette, wheels, tires (run a folding tire tubeless and you'll lose ~1lb or so) saddle...but unfortunately, the fork is where the major weight difference between the comp and the elite, pro etc...comes into play.

#69 ·
bspate said:

I ordered a Camber Comp and made the deal with the LBS on the following upgrades:
- 2Bliss tyres and tubeless
- XT cassette
- deore crankset

These should lower the weight significantly and improve function. I don't plan on upgrading more soon but wheels would be the next logical step. Specialized has some new wheels this year at competitive prices, the Roval Trail I think.

BTW, my Camber should arrive today. :D

#70 ·
Nunomaia - thanks for the compliment!

My rear wheel has a bent sidewall now (still rideable). Looking at various wheelset reviews and sites, I'm not getting out under 2100 grams with my $300ish budget. If the stock wheelset is about 1900 (someone mentioned around this site) Very little weight savings available unless I look at the fork.

#71 ·
rjg5 said:

My rear wheel has a bent sidewall now (still rideable). Looking at various wheelset reviews and sites, I'm not getting out under 2100 grams with my $300ish budget. If the stock wheelset is about 1900 (someone mentioned around this site) Very little weight savings available unless I look at the fork.
I got hope pro2 laced to ztr flow with dt comp spokes for like $350 shipped from CRC
hand built, 1800g, AM strength

2100g is ridiculous for a trail bike

#73 ·
rjg5 said:

Try crazedlist... multi-city craigslist search. You're taking a bit of a chance, and you might get skeptical people not wanting to ship things or fear of getting ripped off, but you might find a decent deal on some used rims.

#76 ·
rjg5 said:

There's also these hand built wheels from BWW for under $300. http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=153

Total weight 1897g. Total price (including tax & shipping) $280.

Thus far, they are working better than I expected :thumbsup:

#77 ·
hmmm-me needs to rethink my wheelset. I was urged by several, even some on this site, to shy away from 1800 gram wheelsets due to my weight (budget) I did call BWW and email, but I did not hget a response. How long does it take them to build/deliiver?

#78 ·
rjg5 said:
hmmm-me needs to rethink my wheelset. I was urged by several, even some on this site, to shy away from 1800 gram wheelsets due to my weight (budget) I did call BWW and email, but I did not hget a response. How long does it take them to build/deliiver?
there's "1800g" wheels that would buckle underneath you and there's "1800g" wheels that you'd never bend out of true on a trail bike.

Weight is not a direct measure of strength.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.