Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Camber Thread

1M views 5K replies 748 participants last post by  aznmode 
#1 · (Edited)
well, the first thread seemed to have a lot of speculation and questions...
now that the camber is beginning to trickle into shops and hit the trails, i figure we'd get a new thread going with some real life experiences and pics...from us who are really riding them (not just getting them for free to test ride).
here's my 2011 camber elite..size medium..

here's what i've changed:
-sram x.7 drivetrain
-truvativ stylo crankset
-pg990 cassette
-pc991 chain
-phenom saddle
-sunline v1 am wheelset
-maxxis advantage front / maxxis larsen tt rear tires (set up tubeless)
-esi chunky grips
-crank bros egg beater sl pedals
-truvativ stylo race 100mm stem
-truvativ stylo race seatpost

weighs in at 27lb 10oz...which for a 5" travel trail bike is pretty good imo.

See less See more
#1,184 ·
I have had the 2011 Camber Elite 29er for about two years. I got one of the very first ones in August 2010. Right away, the Avid brakes had the noise/vibration/turkey gobble problem. The LBS put a solid rotor on the back and replace the semi-metallic pads with organic. The problem went away and has not returned and braking has been excellent. Early on, I had an issue with the Ario shock losing pressure in cold weather. I determined it was the air valve on the shock. I tightened it down with a valve tool and have had no other issues with the suspension.

I have replaced the cockpit (bars, stem, grips and seat post) with Crankbothers Cobalt 3 items. Functionally and weight-wise, the Crankbrothers products are similar to the stock items, but the grey-blue color looks very sharp on this bike. Last year, for Christmas, I bought the bike XT shifters, crankset and cassette. The drivetrain has been bulletproof since day one and the XT parts dropped about a pound from the bike. The cheapo stock cranks and cassette were functional but real boat anchors.

When new, The Captain tires had an excellent mix of speed and grip, but after 1200 miles or so of New England singletrack, they have worn enough where the reduced grip is becoming noticeable. I’m thinking of putting on some of the new Purgs, but I’ll take any recommendation of others who’ve replaced their Captains.

The bike has lived up to expectations. I paid $1850 for it in 2010 and it was the cheapest big-name full suspension 29er available (at least at my LBS’s). It is a tank and will roll over tons of stuff much faster than my 26er would. It does lack a bit in the agility department—super tight technical sections and step-ups, but it flies otherwise.

I’m thinking the bike may get some new hoops for the holidays. I would like to save 400-500 grams over the stock wheels. Any recommendations?

#1,185 ·
The bike has lived up to expectations. I paid $1850 for it in 2010 and it was the cheapest big-name full suspension 29er available (at least at my LBS's). It is a tank and will roll over tons of stuff much faster than my 26er would. It does lack a bit in the agility department-super tight technical sections and step-ups, but it flies otherwise.

I'm thinking the bike may get some new hoops for the holidays. I would like to save 400-500 grams over the stock wheels. Any recommendations?
Thanks for the update. I've got a 2012 Camber 29, so it's basically the exact same bike. I need to do the cranks and shifters to XT as well, but we're not there yet. But I did do the wheels, and I think it's made a big difference. I got Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29ers, and they aren't the lightest (lighter than stock though), but they are strong, stiff, and how they roll. Definitely recommended for the price.

I'm in Southern NH, so not so different from MA. I'm running Maxxis Ardent on the front and Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the back, and it's far above the stock tires in terms of traction, and has really helped me clear some tricky, rooty climbs that I couldn't before.

#2,172 ·

The new fork arrived Saturday. (with custom Red FOX decals to match the color scheme). I decided to get the Talas 150/120, and keep the bike at 120mm most of the time. The 150mm is reserved for the fast DH parts of the trails.

I also finally reached the 25lbs mark (actual is 25.6lbs) and closer to the under 25lb XC weight goal ..

Not a bad weight for a FS 120mm bike that has 2.35 tires.

- XT drivetrain and brakes
- Hope Pro2 Evo + ZTR Crest + DT spokes + Highroller 2.35 60TPI Exxon
- Truvative T40 handlebar, stem, Noir seatpost
- Fox Talas 150/120 RLC 15QR

#423 ·
Sid Nitzerglobin said:
Any chance it will take the 38T and bash from the stock S-2200 crank set on my Pro? Looks like the hash marks end at 36T from your pics.

I've been kicking around the idea of the Traverse ALs as replacement wheels. Just knocked my front 420SL out of true last week. Didn't take long...
The MRP chain guide comes in 2 sizes, the one I am using is 32-36 and then there is a 36-40.

#1,111 ·
2012 Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29er

I just pick this baby up today. This is my first FSR and first carbon frame bike. I put 11 miles on it today right after I picked it up.:D I had a blast!! I'm so happy with this purchase.

Attachments

Reactions: aikane
#1,118 · (Edited)
2013 Camber Pro 29er: 26lbs - 8oz.s
2013 Camber Comp 29er: 28lbs - 5oz.s

A difference of 1lb 13oz plus blacklight command post that adds approx 1 pound net equals a total comparable difference of 2lbs 13oz. The 2013 Camber Pro lists at $8,300.00 the Camber Comp at $2,600.00. BTW I am pretty sure these are Large size frames in the pictures below just based on visual proportions.

Here is the math for the cost per pound:

$8,300.00 - $2,600.00 = $5,700.00 divided by 2.8125 lbs equals $2,026.67 per pound :rolleyes:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

#1,176 ·
question for everyone her. I had a crash on my 2012 camber comp 26, a while back and, just went out riding for the first time last weekend. Riding now I feel like I am too far forward on the bike when coming off of jumps. Do you guys think a shorter stem would help? I am thinking swapping the 90mm for a 70mm. Has anyone else felt this way.

also I have been feeling like the front shock compressed to much.I weigh about 155 and have it set to 90psi which is a little higher then recommended. Any ideas on what else i can do? I have the rebound set to fast as well.

#1,182 ·
I've been riding a 2011 camber comp (26") for about 1.5 years now and think it was a great value bike. No long term problems and I ride it quite hard a couple of times a month. "Quite hard" meaning approx 20 mile trails though rocky muddy trail-centre routes in Wales (UK). I'm not the biggest fan of the tektro draco brakes and am in the process of replacing with Shimano Deore M596. Other upgrades I've made so far was to shorten the stem to 70mm (original stem was 110mm I think!), drop the large chainring for a bashguard and to add a dropper seatpost (reverb).

The reverb was obviously a great addition but as a value-for-money upgrade - replacing the large ring with a bashguard has made it much more mobile over rocks and roots.

Love the bike and would highly recommend it.

#1,183 ·
My story is very similar to Poodie's. I own 2011 26in Camber Expert for about 18 months. I also ride UK trail centers (High Lodge, Chase Trails, and Swinley Forest). I ride about 25-40 miles a month on the weekends. I have numerous issues with stuck pistons on the Avid Elixir brakes. A random piston will stick out and will not full retract into the brake housing, partially applying the pad into the rotor. This occurred three times with the front brakes and once with the back brakes since I had it. The brakes are great when the pistons are not sticking.

I swapped the tires for Kenda Nevegals. That my only upgrade so far. I will be getting a new brake set up soon. I am looking at Shimano set ups. I am also considering upgrading the Fox Triad to a Fox RP23.

Overall its been a great ride. I have put a beating on it, and everything has held up well, except the brakes. I also recommend it, but they dont offer the 26 in model anymore.

#1,187 ·
Just purchased a 2013 Camber Comp carbon and was wondering if anyone knows the weight of the Roval wheetset that comes stocked on this bike. Being my first 29er and all I feel the wheels have a lot of flex to them. Is this just a matter of the larger wheel size or is it worth upgrading to a stiffer wheelset? Put about 70 miles on the bike so far and just can't get use to the noodly feel of the wheels. But again, I've been riding only 26ers for the past 8 years primarily running flows w/chris kings.

#1,194 ·
Got to ride a 2013 Camber Pro Carbon today at a demo event.

Insanely fun bike. Great handling with great handling skills. It wasnt the fastest I rode (in fact if felt the slowest) but it was the smoothest for sure. I can see how lots of you guys like the bike. It was comfortable yet still felt lively. The carbon wheels didnt have any flex that I felt and Im 220lbs and rode the XL. Very fun ride but just not for me.

#1,202 ·
Bit of an update

I converted to 1X9 keeping the stock 32t on the front for now. Just replaced the stock cassette with a HG61. I think that's a SLX cassette. The stock cassette on the Comp is insanely heavy. Even tho the new cassette is 12-36t it might be as much as half a pound lighter than the stock cassette. The stock HG30 is the heaviest cassette I've ever held in my hands.
The stock stem is very flexy. Really got on my nerves. The Alivio cranks that come on it stock are junk. Very heavy. Not rated for aggressive riding. The middle and granny gears were steel. Going to put a Renthal 32t chainring on it.
Not impressed with the front derailleur. For now it is just locked into place with longer bolts until I can get the MRP G2 mini.
The rear SLX derailleur works great! And I love the shadow design! It's so weird not having to lookout for the rear derailleur on trails!
I don't like that a bike of this level came with Alivio shifters but I understand that they were trying to reach a price point. Realistically I bought this bike for the frame and fork. And had planned on upgrading most everything on it so I'm not upset. I did not care for the different geometry of the Stumpjumper FSR even tho the parts are quite an upgrade. But... That being said after having converted to 1X9 I can't really complain at how the right side Alivio shifter performs. Albeit it's pretty heavy. Eventually it'll get swapped out with XT or XTR but its no emergency.
Honestly the shifting has dramatically improved since upgrading to the HG61 rear cassette. Just about the crappiest Shimano cassette I've experienced. Absolute heavy junk. It does not have the same shift ramps as on anything between SLX-XTR.
The stock bar is made out of 6061 and I dig it. It's comfortable so it'll stay on for quite a while. The seat post is 6061 as well so even tho it might be a bit heavy its strong. I cut 2&1/2" off it. I cut 3/4" off each end of the handlebars.
The stock seat was to me painful. I put my old body geometry Specialized seat on it.
The fork is heavy but strong and stiff. I am a big guy 6'1" 275 pounds and I get air so it's an ideal fork for me now. I am working on getting down to 220.
The wheels are a puzzle. Again I am sure it was done to reach a price point; the front and rear hubs are different. The rear hub is sealed cartridge bearing and one of the smoothest hubs I've ever felt straight from the factory. The front hub is... Traditional bearing races and frankly feels cheap. A lot of cost cutting happened here. Also this hub was unbelievably tight from the dealer/factory. To the point it would only turn about 1/4 rotation. I adjusted it much better but the seals suck. At the very least I am going to replace the front wheel. Most likely get a different wheelset. I'm looking at the Crossmax wheelset

#1,216 ·
I converted my Camber comp to a 1x9 set up using an ethirteen chainguide and 34t ring. I'm still using the stock SLX long cage rear derailleur. Is there any benefit other than ground clearance to switch to a medium cage rear derailleur. So far I have no problems with chain tension, chain drops, etc.

Thanks
Blair

#1,230 ·
Bit of an update,I think I've got my shock sorted now, but the back end is still feeling a bit wobbly.
I just put my superstar 203 floating rotors on front and back, will post a pic later.
Back to the wheels, My lbs reckon it could be the dt Swiss wheels ( to be honest, they do say max weight 90kg and I am about half as much again). He said about upgrading to some mavic cross max slr's, nice but a bit out of my price range. Have found some Easton havens at half price online. So a couple of questions to those in the know please.
1 can I run a 15mm axle through the stock fork on my 2011 camber expert
2 what width rear wheel do I need 135 10mm or 135 12mm?
3 are they any good as a wheel set?

Any Info / advice greatly appreciated

Simes

#1,268 · (Edited)
New Camber Owner

Hey Everyone
New to the forums. Just picked up a 2013 Camber Comp to replace my 12 year old Cannondale F800. Went on a 15 mile ride Saturday, and I had a blast. This may be my last bike (I'm 56. been riding since 1984), but I was beating the youngsters up the hills.Tried to launch off everything I could. Hairy downhills with lots of leaves still. It will take some time to get used to 2X10 gearing, disc breaks, FS, and 29 inch wheels. A completely different animal. Hope we have a mild winter like last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.