Page 8 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Genius_rider
    Sep 2010

180 mm rear rotor in medium size

Hi all

The Specialized website shows that the small and medium sized bikes have 160 mm rear brake rotors while the larger sizes get 180 mm rotors. Knowing the several spec errors in their website, I was wondering if any of you with a medium size bike has got 180 mm rear rotors.

I want to fit a 180 mm rear rotor in my bike, which assume will be no problem, but it is worth to double check. I have Formula Oro Bianco brakes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My pro 29, medium frame, 160mm front and rear

I quit e-MTBR
    More parts spec trivia. I was on the phone with Shimano customer service today and asked about the stock cranks on the elite, fc-m521. They are not part of any group (xt, slx, etc) so I asked how the compared.

He said they would fall somewhere between Alivio and Deore, probably closer to Alivio.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    FIXED!!! The problem ended up being in the bolts that hold the suspension parts to the frame. My LBS loosened them, sprayed chain lube in them, tightened them up. And the ride in now silent! Can't believe it but love it!

I quit e-MTBR
    I've been looking around for wheel upgrade options. My wishlist was (1) reasonably strong, (2) enough lighter than the stock (~1900g, apparently) set to make it worthwhile, (3) wide enough to run wider tires, and (4) somewhere around 5-600 bucks. Tubeless compatibility and thru axle option not really important to me at this point.

Haven't really come up with anything that quite fits the bill. The 2010 Easton Havens on sale now at competitive cyclist are close -- strong and wide and cheap but only save about 100g and they've had a lot of reliability problems. People seem to like spinergy xyclones, but they're not as wide IIRC and also not much lighter than stock. I like the idea of a custom wheelset, built around hope pro 2 or the like, but haven't been able to find anything with, say, the approx. weight and width of a Crest and the strength of an Arch. Of course if I had $2000+ I could have it all with the carbon havens, but that's more than I paid for my bike.

All of which has me thinking that dropping substantial wheel weight without sacrificing strength or breaking the bank will be tough. Maybe I'll just stick with the stock wheels for now and make do with just lighter tires and tubes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anybody converted to 2x10? I like the idea, I rarely use the big ring, but I keep reading horror stories about this and that. The XX and XO cranks get great reviews though.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by E46civic
    Anybody converted to 2x10? I like the idea, I rarely use the big ring, but I keep reading horror stories about this and that. The XX and XO cranks get great reviews though.
    I assume you've rejected just replacing the big ring with a bash guard? Hell of a lot simpler than a real 2x10 conversion. (But then so is just buying a Pro.)

Two more measured weights from my Elite 29er:
    - rear tire (Captain sport 2.0 wirebead): 742g
    - tube: 174g

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike
    I've been looking around for wheel upgrade options. My wishlist was (1) reasonably strong, (2) enough lighter than the stock (~1900g, apparently) set to make it worthwhile, (3) wide enough to run wider tires, and (4) somewhere around 5-600 bucks. Tubeless compatibility and thru axle option not really important to me at this point.

Haven't really come up with anything that quite fits the bill. The 2010 Easton Havens on sale now at competitive cyclist are close -- strong and wide and cheap but only save about 100g and they've had a lot of reliability problems. People seem to like spinergy xyclones, but they're not as wide IIRC and also not much lighter than stock. I like the idea of a custom wheelset, built around hope pro 2 or the like, but haven't been able to find anything with, say, the approx. weight and width of a Crest and the strength of an Arch. Of course if I had $2000+ I could have it all with the carbon havens, but that's more than I paid for my bike.

All of which has me thinking that dropping substantial wheel weight without sacrificing strength or breaking the bank will be tough. Maybe I'll just stick with the stock wheels for now and make do with just lighter tires and tubes?
    I don't think you can go wrong with the stans, esp. for the price. Someplace was selling your choice of stans rims laced to hope pro 2's for about the same price as stans w/ ztr's on his website, about 570ish

It may have been orion cycling or something....PM me if your interested and I'll find out!!

Tough to even get the wheels, out of stock in most places...

mtbr member
    have followed this thread with some interest ... the camber 29er was on the list for my next bike ...

after way too much research and working out what i really wanted/needed in my next bike, have bitten the bullet and ordered a camber pro 29er ... arrives in about a week

the pro 29er models aren't readily available here in new zealand, but a few have trickled in under the radar
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great choice, you'll love the camber, only downfall to the bike is a lack of a thru axle, however the OS endcaps do help some as I can only tell on pretty gnarly terrain where this bike really wasn't made to shine in. It does amaze me how this bike feels it has at least 20mm more travel!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    can i put fox fork on my camber elite? tnx

mtbr member
    none of my previous bikes had through axles, so i am used it ... come to think of it, my 3 previous bikes were/are rigids [gt peace 9r, salsa el mariachi, singular swift] so this will be quite novel ...

tried the stumpjumper HT 29er which i did like, and the stumpjumper dualie 29er which wasn't really me ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yea u can put a fox on it. Just make sure it's 1 1/8" steerer and 9mm qr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm thinking of buying Camber Comp and upgrading the brakes with Avids, I have in reserve. Does that fork have standard post mount for front brake and frame IS for rear brake?

Also, are the hubs 6-bolt to fit the rotors?

Has anyone weighted the bike, Specialized don't seem to provide that info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Post front and IS rear. I also have my favorite brakes sitting in a box. I wanted to leave the Tektro's on to check them out. I have about 5 rides on them so far and no noise or fading. They are pretty good. I'm getting plenty of power and getting better with every ride. I might just leave them on. They are much easier to bleed than Avid's and use mineral oil. You should check them out before switching. They are much better than the Auriga's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks for the reply

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepi
    Has anyone weighted the bike, Specialized don't seem to provide that info.
    What frame and wheel size?

My large Pro 26er came in at 28 lbs. 5 oz. IIRC w/ the stock tires, tubes, and grips (which were actually lighter than the ones I threw on right away) and XT pedals w/ the reflectors and dork disc still mounted. It wound up at 27lbs. 12oz. w/ MK SS tires w/ Forte Ultra Light tubes, Ergon GA1 grips, an Incredibell and a Zee cage and the reflectors and dork disc removed the last time I had it at the shop and weighed it.

I'm guessing a Comp 26er in the same size will be somewhere in the mid 29 to low 30lb. region. Sounds like the 29er adds somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5-2 lbs. to the total weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    what tube do you guys recommend,,, for a spare

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown222
    what tube do you guys recommend,,, for a spare
    I go to REI and buy the house brand (Novara) tubes. Every time I've bought one I open it up and "Kenda" is stamped on the tube. Kenda obviously makes some of the most popular tires in the market today so your getting a nice quality name brand tube for a no-name brand price.
    Tubes from Performance Bike work as well too. Their house brand is called "Forte"

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin

My large Pro 26er came in at 28 lbs. 5 oz. IIRC w/ the stock tires, tubes, and grips (which were actually lighter than the ones I threw on right away) and XT pedals w/ the reflectors and dork disc still mounted. It wound up at 27lbs. 12oz. w/ MK SS tires w/ Forte Ultra Light tubes, Ergon GA1 grips, an Incredibell and a Zee cage and the reflectors and dork disc removed the last time I had it at the shop and weighed it.

I'm guessing a Comp 26er in the same size will be somewhere in the mid 29 to low 30lb. region. Sounds like the 29er adds somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5-2 lbs. to the total weight.
    I think my Comp was 30.2 in size L. I killed the fork and am selling off the frame and parts or I would just weigh it for you.

mtbr member
    My Camber Elite 29er does feel heavy at times, I regret not springing for the pro. It's a big bike (size L) in the low 30lb range, I can't complain too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
    Being a short guy, I was thinking about 26r in size S. But Those above mentioned rough estimates give good estimates also. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

heavy Camber....just add money.

Quote Originally Posted by houstsx
    My Camber Elite 29er does feel heavy at times, I regret not springing for the pro. It's a big bike (size L) in the low 30lb range, I can't complain too much.

I have the PRO CAMBER, and it was 28.5lbs without pedals when new. It has since been given a 'makeover' and is at 23.5lbs with pedals.

I had some kit from my other race bike, soooo, over to the 29er it went:

1) XX groupo
    2) Haven 29er wheeset, Raven 2.2 tires, or Bontrager 29-0 super lite!
    3) some carbon bars/post small stuff makes a difference too.

This is an extreme example, but the CAMBER is a great frame for trails/racing....23.5lb race bike - 29er - 4 inches of travel - is fun. yes, I am somewhat crazy.

The big tires that come stock are heavy....but good.

LC

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anyone gone about messing with the fork? I was thinking the 2011 RS Sektor RL U-Turn? I'd like to have a little bit more travel in the front for those steep descents and it'd be nice to crank down for riding singletrack. Besides the uber expensive TALAS does anyone have any ideas for some on the fly adjustments? Has anyone switched it out to anything else? I have the comp so I'd like to switch out the low end recon. Or am I an idiot and not even consider something that can switch on the fly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is there anyone else who had to increase pressure in there fork and shock past what the Specialized Air chart says?

I’m riding a Camber Pro 29er, all stock. For the fork I’m running it at 110 and for the shock I’m running at 180.

I weight around 193, with anything lower than that I feel like I’m using 70% of my travel just going up the driveway. (going from flat to hill)

I feel like if I use stock pressures that I’m going to bottom out fork and shock when I actually hit the singletrack.

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer29er
    Is there anyone else who had to increase pressure in there fork and shock past what the Specialized Air chart says?

Iím riding a Camber Pro 29er, all stock. For the fork Iím running it at 110 and for the shock Iím running at 180.

I weight around 193, with anything lower than that I feel like Iím using 70% of my travel just going up the driveway. (going from flat to hill)

I feel like if I use stock pressures that Iím going to bottom out fork and shock when I actually hit the singletrack.
    there is an excellent post that should help you here: Suspension Set-up Basics for the Beginner

Note, get a friend to hold the bike and help you measure the sag using the o-rings on your shock and fork. Get off the bike VERY lightly so as not to compress them as you exit the bike.

I quit e-MTBR

Iím riding a Camber Pro 29er, all stock. For the fork Iím running it at 110 and for the shock Iím running at 180.

I weight around 193, with anything lower than that I feel like Iím using 70% of my travel just going up the driveway. (going from flat to hill)

I feel like if I use stock pressures that Iím going to bottom out fork and shock when I actually hit the singletrack.
    I have the Elite 29er, so different front and rear suspension, but I've been wondering the same thing. The manual for my Ario says the starting point for rear suspension PSI is half your body weight, and under no circumstances go over 250. I weigh 170 but am having to run 190+ PSI to get the sag close, and I'm probably under-doing it. Like you, I've been wondering if something is amiss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The chart for me fork is 90 shock is 154. So around 20 more pounds than spec. I know kwrides ws just trying to be helpful. I monitor this forum rather closely and I've already read that one. While the stock preasure gets me close to the right SAG, my concern is blowing all of my travel on something that it shouldn't. I could adjust the rebound, but that isn't going help my fear of bottoming out.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    The chart for me fork is 90 shock is 154. So around 20 more pounds than spec. I know kwrides ws just trying to be helpful. I monitor this forum rather closely and I've already read that one. While the stock preasure gets me close to the right SAG, my concern is blowing all of my travel on something that it shouldn't. I could adjust the rebound, but that isn't going help my fear of bottoming out.
    I've wound up around 7.5psi under recommended on my 26er F-120 (tweaking still in progress, but I'm thinking I'll only be going down in pressure from here) and I'm still not using the last 15-20mm on the burliest stuff I've got to ride around here. I'm ~205lbs w/ a full Camelbak.

I'm focusing more on perceived feel and performance on trails than sag however.

The tendency to consistency blow through significantly more of the travel on the shock than the fork has me thinking that I may be keeping alot of my weight back on the bigger hits/ jumps though. The shock feels like it's at the upper threshold of pleasantly firm already at spot on the recommended pressures, so I don't think I'd want to go higher there to try to balance things out.

mtbr member
    picked up my camber pro 29er yesterday and went out for some fireld testing and getting things set up ...

quite impressed with the ride in general, could lighten it like others have done but don't think i'll bother, it is about the same weight as the steel rigids i have been riding anyway ...

what does everyone have their rear shock set at? the lbs had put just over 150psi in it when i checked last night ... the handbook says 174psi, the fox website has figures that range from 170psi through to 220psi depending on where you look and what google brings up ...
    i am about 100kg/220-230lbs and a nana rider

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running about 15% above spec in both fork and shock.

I'm 190lbs spec is 90 for the fork and 154 for shock. I will admit that it's a little harsh, and I'm thinking about reducing a little.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hi i notice a chip paint on my month old spec camber. is it cover by my warranty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superunknown222
    hi i notice a chip paint on my month old spec camber. is it cover by my warranty?
    Warranty is structural only. A "chip" is rarely structural, so probably not. Pic?

FYI.. if you haven't already, get a set of plastic protective stickers and place them where your cables touch the frame. Cable rub, dirt getting trapped b/t cable housing and frame, can saw through paint fairly quickly. I had a nice mm gash under my BB, and a bit of rub on my fork's crown, after only 2 months or so of heavy riding after I got my bike. My LBS gave me a sheet for free when I pointed it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks, ill take it to my lbs this weekend

mtbr member
    I am going to pick up my Camber hopefully friday. I am waiting for a new fork to come just because I had to upgrade. Hehe...... I sold the fork on my Rockhopper, then decided to buy a new bike. So the Recon went on the RH and a SID XX on the Camber. I can't wait!!!

The LBS already swapped out all my SRAM X.9 and the Avid CR's from my RH to the Camber along with my Mavic wheels.

I've been itching to ride. Lets see I bought a new Tarmac road bike last month and this month a new MTB. The wife is not happy! Oh well...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone know what the Camber frames weigh on their own?

Genius_rider
    Sep 2010
    I just got the 180 mm rotors and adapters for my Formula Oro Bianco brakes, as well as a new suspension fork I wanted to upgrade to. Assembling all today and shall be using it during the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BiciMapas
    Hi all

The Specialized website shows that the small and medium sized bikes have 160 mm rear brake rotors while the larger sizes get 180 mm rotors. Knowing the several spec errors in their website, I was wondering if any of you with a medium size bike has got 180 mm rear rotors.

I want to fit a 180 mm rear rotor in my bike, which assume will be no problem, but it is worth to double check. I have Formula Oro Bianco brakes.

Thanks

I quit e-MTBR

RD hangers

Anyone replaced the rear derrailleur hanger on a Camber? Wondering if its going to be a hassle/wait to get one.

Caught a stick in my chain tonight and it sheared the RD right off. Nice night for a long walk.

mtbr member
    Anyone replaced the rear derrailleur hanger on a Camber? Wondering if its going to be a hassle/wait to get one.

Caught a stick in my chain tonight and it sheared the RD right off. Nice night for a long walk.
    its a bugger you can't turn a full.sus into a single speed either after breaking a deraileur or hanger ...

if its any consolation, my first offroad shakedown ride today on my week old camber wasn't too bad at all ...

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch

My LBS threw in a couple of spares when I picked mine up. No idea how long the usual wait might be but they made it sound like they might be a bit of a pain in the ass to get a hold of later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    New wheels, I love this bike!
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    I picked mine up on friday and I have had yet to ride it. Damn life gets in the way.

mtbr member
    does the camber pro 29er have a thru axel?

mtbr member
    no, mine doesn't ...

mtbr member
    my camber pro 29er ... absolutely stock ...

takes a bit of getting used to after the last few years on '1x9 steel rigid 29ers' ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-s_camber.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Np thru axle on the camber, probably the only downfall to this bike, I can live without the tapered steerer, but the thru axle would have really been icing on the cake...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    WEight loss on the pro this week...

Ordered:
    -Stans crests, dt swiss spokes, laced to american classics hubs
    -Maxxis icon exo 2.2's
    -kcnc rotors, 165 grams for the pair
    -xx cassette
    -easton ec90 carbon bar, 635mm
    -titanium stem/bar bolts, titanium rotor bolts, titanium caliper mounting kit

Have to make a trip to fastenal to pick up a few aluminum bolts for cable hangers, bar clamps, etc

Any guesses on total weight loss?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt
    WEight loss on the pro this week...

Ordered:
    -Stans crests, dt swiss spokes, laced to american classics hubs
    -Maxxis icon exo 2.2's
    -kcnc rotors, 165 grams for the pair
    -xx cassette
    -easton ec90 carbon bar, 635mm
    -titanium stem/bar bolts, titanium rotor bolts, titanium caliper mounting kit

Have to make a trip to fastenal to pick up a few aluminum bolts for cable hangers, bar clamps, etc

Any guesses on total weight loss?

about 1500?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    Anyone know what the Camber frames weigh on their own?
    Just weighed my frame. It's a Camber Expert Large with Fox Triad shock (26inch wheel version), with rear mech hanger and cable guides but no headset, no seat clamp and comes in at:

2.8kg = 6.17lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt
    Np thru axle on the camber, probably the only downfall to this bike, I can live without the tapered steerer, but the thru axle would have really been icing on the cake...
    Solution:

When you upgrade the fork, get one with a thru axle and then buy a wheelset with a thru axle hub. I agree that it is a downfall. Hopefully one day all bikes will be thru axle bikes (front and rear) as well as tapered head tubes.

Page 8 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast