Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Man I cant stop buying upgrades. Just added Ritchey WCS carbon handle bar. A little shorter(660mm) than stock(680mm). With all my upgrades I think I got it down to 28lb possible 27lb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Man I cant stop buying upgrades. Just added Ritchey WCS carbon handle bar. A little shorter(660mm) than stock(680mm). With all my upgrades I think I got it down to 28lb possible 27lb.
    Hehe I think I will suffer the same fate I just got my 2011 Comp yesterday and will try it for a ride in our local trail later this day.

I am already thinking of replacing some parts but maybe I will have to try the stock first and see.

I feel like its a bit heavy so I will surely replace some of it
    Whats your camber model btw?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    get a new wheel set and some carbon bars

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    get a new wheel set and some carbon bars
    Thanks for the advise. Are those the very 1st things that I have to change to make a big difference in weight?
    EDIT: Sorry for the stupid question. I am really new to this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    Hehe I think I will suffer the same fate I just got my 2011 Comp yesterday and will try it for a ride in our local trail later this day.

I am already thinking of replacing some parts but maybe I will have to try the stock first and see.

I feel like its a bit heavy so I will surely replace some of it
    Whats your camber model btw?
    Congrats. I have the 2011 Comp charcoal and silver in small. Ya try stock first. It's great stock but I wanted it lighter so I upgraded some stuff. Again these are my upgrades which werent really necessary but just wanted them:

Avenir 200 hybrid lightweight saddle ($32)
    Forte all carbon seat post ($77)
    Lightweight Platform Pedals ($80)
    SLX crankset ($150)
    Ritchey WCS carbon bar ($92)
    =$431 already not including tax

Next is XT shifters....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the advise. Are those the very 1st things that I have to change to make a big difference in weight?
    EDIT: Sorry for the stupid question. I am really new to this.
    you can shave lots of weight im running a 2011 camber comp med and i've switched to easton haven carbon bars ($160) and mavic cross ride wheels ($250) its not a huge weight loss pound and a half tops but the increase in control is exponential

mtbr member
    I had more or less the same feeling at first so I changed the stock saddle (that sould be pretty good) for a more comfortable WTB saddle but switched it back after a while and now I got used to the Henge saddle and like it ... it's all about getting used to I think. Well, it's my fist full sus so people with more experience may think differently ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here. Camber expert 29er

Anyone know why there is no Camber expert 29er (non-carbon version) in the States? I see that it exists in some other countries (New Zealand for example). It's a shame, because I like the color scheme a lot more, and would rather spend some extra cash upgrading components than moving to a carbon frame.

Do you think bike shops in the US would be able to order this model?

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 365rider View Post
    I had more or less the same feeling at first so I changed the stock saddle (that sould be pretty good) for a more comfortable WTB saddle but switched it back after a while and now I got used to the Henge saddle and like it ... it's all about getting used to I think. Well, it's my fist full sus so people with more experience may think differently ...
    I probably didnt give the stock saddle enough time but after 2 days of riding with it I was hurting and decided to change it. Its a nice looking saddle though. How long did you ride till you got used to it? I may try it again.

This is the saddle I ended up with. As light as stock and comfy. It's not as low profile and I think looks pretty decent once its on the bike. The image on amazon makes it look thicker than it is. I'll probably post actual pictures later.
    Amazon.com: Avenir Men's 200 Series Hybrid Saddle (Black): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I changed my shifters to XT's last night and its a big improvement. Much precise shifting and shorter throws. Definitely a worthy upgrade IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr View Post
    hi,
    Specialized updated US site. Only 2 26" options . Prices rised...

Camber Pro Carbon 29 $8300
    Camber Expert Carbon 29 $5100
    Camber Comp 29 $2750
    Camber Comp $1850
    Camber Elite $2200
    Camber 29
    Any idea why the US doesn't get any non-carbon 29er options above the comp?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Updated pics with all my upgrades installed. I like how the cranks and saddle matches well with the overall bike color.

mtbr member
    nice....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet bike. Is that the 2012 carbon expert?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coach2win View Post
    nice....
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by protobiont View Post
    Sweet bike. Is that the 2012 carbon expert?
    EDIT:
    I'm not sure if you were referring to my bike or not but mine is 2011 camber comp. The white, black and red I believe is 2011 camber elite.
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Camber Elite
    Last edited by aznmode; 09-26-2011 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    double post..oops

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks!

I'm not sure if you were referring to my bike or not but mine is 2011 camber comp. The white, black and red I believe is the 2012 camber comp judging by the color scheme.
    Yeah, I was referring to yours. Thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty set on getting a 2012 29er soon. Gonna try a demo bike next month. Very nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, I was referring to yours. Thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty set on getting a 2012 29er soon. Gonna try a demo bike next month. Very nice looking bike!
    Thanks...It's a great bike. I didnt really need all those upgrades but I think the most worthy upgrade are the XT shifters. Those Alivio are crap IMO and they put them on the comp and the Elite. If you can find a 2011 model I would go for it rather than 2012 which you can get (if you can find one) pretty cheap. They are identical except for the color difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks...It's a great bike. I didnt really need all those upgrades but I think the most worthy upgrade are the XT shifters. Those Alivio are crap IMO and they put them on the comp and the Elite. If you can find a 2011 model I would go for it rather than 2012 which you can get (if you can find one) pretty cheap. They are identical except for the color difference.
    Yeah, my LBS doesn't have any 2011's in stock. But it looks like I'd have to get the 2011 pro 29er in order to get similar components to the 2012 comp 29er. I'm not sure how much difference the shift to M5 aluminum makes (although some reports make that seem to be a typo). For that matter, I dontnknow how different the rockshox is from the fox shocks. If any are available at a good price, I'll certainly try to test them and compare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    nice rides guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    guys, what's your best upgrade so far?? tnx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    xt groupset. brakes also

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    how about xtr or sram xo? or sram x9? i got the xt shifters FD, and xtr RD

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a question guys. I really have no idea about MTB yet so pls bare with me
    I noticed the differences in gearing among 2011 camber models:

1. Comp and Elite have 3x9 (27 speed)
    2. Expert have 3x10 (30 speed)
    3. Pro 2x10 (20 speed)

I am assuming numbers 1-3 is in order of being 3 as the higher end model due to price differences. Is 2x10 better than 3x10 or even 3x9? Why did they put lower number of speed options on the higher models?

I just need to know the reason behind for future upgrade considerations. I thought it wont be practical lets say upgrading my shifters to another 9 speed different model if 10 speed is the way to go. Since upgrading from 9 to 10 will likely affect my cogset, chainring and possibly the rear wheel set.

Not sure if im making any sense here so please have patience with me

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gancho13 View Post
    how about xtr or sram xo? or sram x9? i got the xt shifters FD, and xtr RD
    x9 is basically the equivalent of XT's. As far as XTR and X0s, IMO is overkill. At least for the type or rider I am. But if I had the $ I'd probably get them.

mtbr member
    Is it worth upgrading Shimano SLX shifters to XT or XTR? Noticeable performance gain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOisDAN View Post
    Is it worth upgrading Shimano SLX shifters to XT or XTR? Noticeable performance gain?
    From what I read when I was researching SLX to XT is that they are pretty much the same with XT have some metal parts (downshift lever) and the feel of XT being better cause of it. I've never tried an SLX but if the levers are plastic like the Deore or Alivio then I would rather pay a little bit more for the XT. That's what I have now on my Camber and I love it.

In your case though I think SLX to XT wouldnt be a significant upgrade. But to go XTR might be overkill as you would pay a whole lot more. Just stay with the SLX till it breaks IMO.
    Last edited by aznmode; 09-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    guys, what's your best upgrade so far?? tnx
    For me its going to XT shifters over the Alivio and going to SLX cranks. More precise and faster shifting and smoother and stronger pedaling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    if that's the case, ill just wait for my buddies to upgrade or buy new groupset so i could get their xtrs or xos lol tnx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I can't really figure out how to post pics (I don't use a hosting site) but I upgraded about everything on my Camber comp.

Fox 32 120mm RLC fit fork
    Fox RP2 shock (dont really use propedal so RP23 was not needed)
    Shimano XT deraileurs
    SLX shifters ( I had them already)
    XT Chain
    XT cassette
    XT cranks (made them a double and added a blackspire bashring)
    XT disc brakes
    Stans Arch wheelset
    Purgatory sworks front Captain control rear

So far I would say the front fork and XT brakes were the best bang for the buck!
    Last edited by Djg24; 09-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    I can't really figure out how to post pics (I don't use a hosting site) but I upgraded about everything on my Camber comp.

Shimano XT deraileurs
    XT Chain
    XT cassette
    XT disc brakes
    Stans Arch wheelset
    Purgatory sworks front Capton control rear

So far I would say the front fork and XT brakes were the best bang for the buck!
    That sounds like some great upgrades man. I considered buying a COMP and upgrading it cause I liked the 2011 black/gold/white frame cause I went to App State. I'm a bit inpatient so I sprung for the PRO and still ended up upgrading quite a bit on it. I'm running Arch's on Hope Pro 2's tubeless and love them!
    When you write a reply scroll down and you will see a button that says "upload images" click it and upload your photos that you have on your computer. They have to be a certain size. I just scale mine down in the basic "paint" application in windows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did you all upgrade at the time of purchase? If so how did that work? If not, what did you do with the original components? How does the cost of upgrading compare to the cost of buying a better spec'd bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    upgrading is addicting haha nice upgrade guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Shimano XT deraileurs
    XT Chain
    XT cassette
    XT disc brakes
    Stans Arch wheelset
    Purgatory sworks front Capton control rear

Wow I'm so jealous. I would love to convert my Comp to XT groupset. How much have you spend already?

For uploading you can do what TJ said or you can sign up for photo bucket or flicker and upload pics there and then post the links here. I like using photobucket cause they have an app for my android phone. So I can upload as a take the pics with my phone. Then just go back to photobucket app and get the link. I'd love to see how your bike looks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Did you all upgrade at the time of purchase? If so how did that work? If not, what did you do with the original components? How does the cost of upgrading compare to the cost of buying a better spec'd bike?
    I bought the bike for the frame as i had most of the upgrades, all of the unwanted bits went on ebay and i did ok out of it. The only part of the bike that is unchanged is the fsa headset everything else is upgraded and it now weighs just over 27.3lbs .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Here it is!

Thanks for the tips on posting the pictures. I just finally finished it and it is going on Ebay tonight. Pics look so pretty, I'm sad to see it go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-imag0090.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-imag0092.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-imag0093.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-imag0094.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I also forgot to add, that it is set up tubeless (also a great upgrade)
    and it has a 75mm easton stem.

I was going to install easton bars and seatpost to complete it, and to hopefully get it near 25lbs (it sits right around 26lbs) but ran out of time as my new bike showed up earlier than I expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the tips on posting the pictures. I just finally finished it and it is going on Ebay tonight. Pics look so pretty, I'm sad to see it go!
    Oh my that is gorgeous. Even I am sad to see you let it go. How much are you listing it for and what is replacing it?

And do you still have the stock parts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you, I really do love the bike but I bought it a couple of months ago when I was waiting for the 2012 's. I liked the bike so much I decided to upgrade it and get it the way I wanted it. I actually forgot that I had pre-ordered the 2012 stumpjumper carbon evo. at another bike shop. They called the other day to tell me it was in and I was going to tell them I didn't need it anymore but I decided to go down and look at it first. What can I say, I loved the look of it and decided to take it, so now my camber has to go.

I'm going to list my Camber for $1500. it's a steal really.

Almost forgot, I have all the stock parts also and they will also hit ebay. Although the stock wheelset has a stan's tubeless kit installed, but I had to get the arch rims!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you, I really do love the bike but I bought it a couple of months ago when I was waiting for the 2012 's. I liked the bike so much I decided to upgrade it and get it the way I wanted it. I actually forgot that I had pre-ordered the 2012 stumpjumper carbon evo. at another bike shop. They called the other day to tell me it was in and I was going to tell them I didn't need it anymore but I decided to go down and look at it first. What can I say, I loved the look of it and decided to take it, so now my camber has to go.

I'm going to list my Camber for $1500. it's a steal really.

Almost forgot, I have all the stock parts also and they will also hit ebay. Although the stock wheelset has a stan's tubeless kit installed, but I had to get the arch rims!
    Ok I probably would keep the stumpjumper too over the camber lol. That is a great deal for a camber in that caliber. I'm sure it'll go fast. I wouldve snagged it if I didnt have a camber already. But let me know when you posts those stock parts up. I have a buddy I'm talking into getting a Recon shock like mine.

BTW what size is that bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My bike is a small.

If you or your friend wants any parts just Private message me and I promise I'll hook you up.

To get back on track, has anyone seen a carbon camber in person yet? I'm curious as to how they look in person.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My bike is a small.

If you or your friend wants any parts just Private message me and I promise I'll hook you up.

To get back on track, has anyone seen a carbon camber in person yet? I'm curious as to how they look in person.
    Oh man a few weeks too late. I wouldve bought your bike. Mines a small too.

PM sent...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    just want to share my camber

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gancho13,

Is that a 140mm fork? Bike looks nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Djg24,
    thanks

that's 160mm magura wotan, travel adjust to 120mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My bike is a small.

Dj sorry I got a PM confused as you and replied. Anyhow I just sent you one. By the way how to you like the rp2 vs the ario?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Djg24,
    thanks

that's 160mm magura wotan, travel adjust to 120mm
    Nice. Any reason you went with a 160mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dj sorry I got a PM confused as you and replied. Anyhow I just sent you one. By the way how to you like the rp2 vs the ario?
    Love the Rp2! Feels more linear and super smooth. I didn't run the ario for more than 5 miles but the RP2 felt smoother immediately. The ario always felt like it had some stick at the beginning of the travel. However I probably didn't ride it long enough to get the seals broken in. I tried to go back to the ario once but just riding around for a few minutes I decided to go back to the Fox. It feels that good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Love the Rp2! Feels more linear and super smooth. I didn't run the ario for more than 5 miles but the RP2 felt smoother immediately. The ario always felt like it had some stick at the beginning of the travel. However I probably didn't ride it long enough to get the seals broken in. I tried to go back to the ario once but just riding around for a few minutes I decided to go back to the Fox. It feels that good.
    Thats great to know. I had bought one for my 2009 fsr xc which was 7.5 x 2 but I sold the bike it before I installed. But that size wont fit on my camber now so I was just wondering if I should start looking for another one. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    @Djg24

PM sent

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice. Any reason you went with a 160mm?
    well, it's free, my buddy gave it to me so m goin to use it, 2nd, w have really rough trails here in our town, 160 really eases it out hehe makes going down easier

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    well, it's free, my buddy gave it to me so m goin to use it, 2nd, w have really rough trails here in our town, 160 really eases it out hehe makes going down easier
    I would be very concerned about stressing and/or cracking the welds around your head tube with that big a fork. The bike is built for 120mm and I'd maybe see getting away with 130 or a 140mm at most but even that's pushing it. You may consider selling or trading the bike for a new or used Enduro Comp. That bike is and will be the long travel monster you want.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031 View Post
    I would be very concerned about stressing and/or cracking the welds around your head tube with that big a fork. The bike is built for 120mm and I'd maybe see getting away with 130 or a 140mm at most but even that's pushing it. You may consider selling or trading the bike for a new or used Enduro Comp. That bike is and will be the long travel monster you want.
    Good luck
    actually, my other buddy is upgrading his frame, and m gona get his titus el guapo, m just gettin all mountain parts so if i get frame i dont need to be rushin to get all mountain parts

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    actually, my other buddy is upgrading his frame, and m gona get his titus el guapo, m just gettin all mountain parts so if i get frame i dont need to be rushin to get all mountain parts
    Now your talking. That El Guapo would love to have that 160mm fork mounted on it. You can probably get good money out of that Camber frame if you stick it on ebay. The very few framesets I've seen on there from time to time are snatched up pretty quick. Don't know why Spesh doesn't offer just the frameset in the US...I have a feeling they'd sell the sh** out of them. I called directly before ordering my pro to see if I could convice someone to speak with my shop about getting just a frameset but no dice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    yeah i know!, even here, ive only seen 2 camber pro, the funny thing is, in here they dont sell the built bike of the camber pro, and they only sell the frame, the most common here is the frame only, btw, i leave in the philippines hehe maybe theyr thinking if they sell the built bike camber pro here it is very expensive that they would rather get the lower model of the stumpy with lower price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Advice on my Camber Pro 2011...

Hi everyone....my FIRST post!

I recently purchased a 2011 Camber Pro in size LARGE. I am 5'9.5" in height and probably should have purchased a MEDIUM.

Anyways, the seller (used bike) was very generous and dialed in the bike for me, but eventually, I think I will be wanting a medium frame.

What is the best way for me to exchange my large frame for a medium frame? The classifieds? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance for you advice......
    Last edited by Marsride; 10-02-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Put the wrong size for the frame!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsride View Post

I recently purchased a 2011 Camber Pro in size LARGE. I am 5'9.5" in height and probably should have purchased a MEDIUM.

Anyways, the seller (used bike) was very generous and dialed in the bike for me, but eventually, I think I will be wanting a medium frame.

What is the best way for me to exchange my large frame for a small frame? The classifieds? If so, which one?

You can try the following but not guaranteed youll find one
    craigslist: orange county classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (not sure why its defaulting to orange county but you can change it)
    eBay | Electronics, Cars, Clothing, Collectibles and More Online Shopping
    Pinkbike.com: Latest biking news, photos, videos, events and more!

I'm not sure its possible but you can also try contacting Specialized to see if they can somehow sell you a frame only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

What is the best way for me to exchange my large frame for a small frame? The classifieds? If so, which one?

Im 5`10" and got the large frame and found the stock 105mm stem to long for me so i bought a shorter 60mm stem and the bike feels so much better. I could be worth a try b4 you swap frames.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If possible, I'd like to get some feedback on what folks think I can expect in transitioning from a 2003 stumpjumper fsr comp to a 2012 camber comp 29er. I'm 5'7 140lbs, and ride mainly north Florida single track. Lots of roots, a mixture of flowy and technical stuff.

I've enjoyed every minute of the 2003 stumpy (minus a little neck soreness on long rides), but I have permission to upgrade, and really like the look of the new cambers. Most of my riding buddies have switched to 29er bikes and they all rave about them, so that plus the way specialized seems to be only selling 29ers in the higher range are leaning me towards the 29 version of the bike.

I know I should ride the bike first to make a good decision, but I might have a chance to buy the bike months before I'm able to ride a demo. So I'm really asking if folks think the new camber will be a big improvement over my 9 year old stumpy, are the nine years of technological upgrades in suspension and components noticeable, etc.? Any thing to be wary of? I really like the bike shop, and I have no regrets with my other spec bike, so I don't see myself trying another brand unless the Camber were somehow a terrible bike.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Actually the previous owner did this for me.....switched from the 105mm to a 90mm. Told me that anything shorter would not be good.

Did you ever test ride the medium to see how much of a difference there is between the two sizes? Will changing the stem from the 105mm to 60mm stem size make up for the difference in frame sizes?

Thanks again for your original post and info....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @proto ride a 29er before you buy one

@marside it really wont make the big of a difference your stand over height and reach will still be long

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Actually the previous owner did this for me.....switched from the 105mm to a 90mm. Told me that anything shorter would not be good.

Did you ever test ride the medium to see how much of a difference there is between the two sizes? Will changing the stem from the 105mm to 60mm stem size make up for the difference in frame sizes?

I tried both size frames at the shop and the med size felt like i was over the wheel to much and on the large i was streaching out a bit . Imo Its better to use a sort stem over a long stem any day of the week as it gives you better control , if you have a short frame and long stem then your going to be over the front end to much where as i like to have the frame just right with a short stem as it gives a sharper feel to the steering and makes the front end more solid.

Large frame top tube ...590 mm + stem 60mm = 650mm
    Medium frame top tube...561mm + stem 90mm = 651mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

105 to 60mm will definitely change reach. I used to have a medium FSR xc and went from the stock 90mm to 60mm stem and made it a lot more comfortable along with able to maneuver the bike better due to steering change. However I still felt the bikes wheel base was still too long so I went with the smaller Camber. On the other hand my friend has a small motebecane with 100mm stem and he rides very well. He should actually be riding a medium. But I can't keep up with him. So I think try it out first and see if you like the 60mm stem. The owners opinion about less than 90 is not good is subjective and really only you will know what works for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wils07 View Post
    I tried both size frames at the shop and the med size felt like i was over the wheel to much and on the large i was streaching out a bit . Imo Its better to use a sort stem over a long stem any day of the week as it gives you better control , if you have a short frame and long stem then your going to be over the front end to much where as i like to have the frame just right with a short stem as it gives a sharper feel to the steering and makes the front end more solid.

Large frame top tube ...590 mm + stem 60mm = 650mm
    Medium frame top tube...561mm + stem 90mm = 651mm
    i run a medium camber with a 75mm stem and offset seat post keeps me off the front wheel but also keeps me off the top tube when things go awry

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ok, need some input here.

I've been looking at the camber for a while now and went to my LBS to price it out. I need a XL or XXL frame. My store ordered a XL 2012 Camber 29er for me to try out. If I like it it'll be mine for ~2100 OTD.

If I don't get this, I will wait a year and get it at the end of the model year. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Ok, need some input here.

I've been looking at the camber for a while now and went to my LBS to price it out. I need a XL or XXL frame. My store ordered a XL 2012 Camber 29er for me to try out. If I like it it'll be mine for ~2100 OTD.

If I don't get this, I will wait a year and get it at the end of the model year. What do you guys think?
    Are you asking mainly about the price? I think that you can assume another 200-300(?) to come off of the price at the end of the year... So is it worth 250 dollars to wait, but take the risk of the bike not being available? I guess it all depends on what you are riding now, and how much that amount of money means to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hardrock disc 29er. A few upgrades to make it rideable.

Here lies the dilemma though. They knocked off about 900 on this years Stumpy FSR Comp 29er but there are no more XL or XXL in stock. They do have a large but I don't fit.

Id like to have the M5 because at my frame size it adds near a lb to the weight to go to M4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well, 900 is certainly more of a discount than I was thinking. But what was the original MSRP of the Stumpy comp?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    2700. They have it listed for 2599.

Yea, the place is pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So, mark ups are usually higher on higher end bikes. So maybe use $500 in your calculations...

I'd go ahead and get it if it were me... In 12 months you'll be thinking the same thing if they run out of the xl bikes again, and the 2013 bikes will have some new feature that makes them better.

What about checking other stores in nearby towns for deals on the 2011 stumpy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The other two stores that carry Specialized refuse to talk about lowering the price EVEN if the bike is paid and ordered. Rather annoying but neither are that good as Ive found out dealing with both of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My new 5.10 Baron and Weinbrenner to go with my 2011 Camber Expert..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by samuel1996 View Post
    My new 5.10 Baron and Weinbrenner to go with my 2011 Camber Expert..

Very nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Let's see some 'before and after' photos.....maybe in a couple of months from now. ))

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Went for one hour ride yesterday, surprisingly found that USD 25 Weinbrenner is comfort and stiff when pedaling (but not sure how long it can last). I think I will wear the 5.10 Baron to dance floor but not the trail.. Haa

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Help needed on preasure for my Camber bike shocks!

Can someone provide a link to the Fox website that has a chart showing weight \ air preasure for their shocks? I tried to locate one, but no cigar.

I have a 2011 Camber Pro. It is a size large and I weigh 175 lbs.

I have a shock pump, so I am ready to adjust the shocks.

Thanks in advance for the help....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Help needed on preasure for my Camber bike shocks!

Can someone provide a link to the Fox website that has a chart showing weight \ air preasure for their shocks? I tried to locate one, but no cigar.

I have a 2011 Camber Pro. It is a size large and I weigh 175 lbs.

I have a shock pump, so I am ready to adjust the shocks.

Thanks in advance for the help....
    http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/..._air_Chart.pdf

Just remember that the psi given may not be the best for you. Use it as a starting point and adjust from there depending on your riding style and/or terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Wow, great chart b52doc!! I looked everywhere on the Fox website, but couldn't locate this. Many thanks for your help and reponse to my request. )))))

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Know of any good YouTube videos on 'bike cleaning'?

I went through a dozen YouTube videos on 'how to clean your (mountain) bike' the other night. None of them seemed to 'make sense' and most of them had 'home grown' methods on how to clean her up after a dirty day on the trail.

Has anyone seen a video that appears to be the 'correct' way to clean your bike (especially) your gears and chain?

TIA

Mark in San Diego

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    get a bottle of finish line speed degreaser or fast orange a good gear brush and a chain cleaner...follow instructions on packages

mtbr member
    Thought I'd join in.....

I upgraded from a Trek Marlin 29er to the Camber 29er. It's the low man on the totem poll of Cambers, but it's a big upgrade for me and I can't find any fault with it.

Camber 29 by jpottsphotography, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, just got off the phone with specilaized CS.

I was looking at getting a Camber 29er and was wondering about the M5 or M4 issue. The base Camber 29er uses strictly M4. I would have to go to the Camber Comp 29er to get M5.

The problem with me is the frame size. I already carry around extra weight just by getting the XL or XXL and the CS rep said that the M5 saves almost 1 lb on the XL frame alone.

Just strange but now I feel like I need to wait and see if I should spend the extra $250 and go with the Stumpy Comp.

mtbr member
    Well, just got off the phone with specilaized CS.

I was looking at getting a Camber 29er and was wondering about the M5 or M4 issue. The base Camber 29er uses strictly M4. I would have to go to the Camber Comp 29er to get M5.

The problem with me is the frame size. I already carry around extra weight just by getting the XL or XXL and the CS rep said that the M5 saves almost 1 lb on the XL frame alone.

Just strange but now I feel like I need to wait and see if I should spend the extra $250 and go with the Stumpy Comp.
    But then you would be trading 29" for 26" tires. If the extra pound bothers you more then the advantages of the larger tire, then that would be the way to go. Not to mention the components look better on the Stumpy Comp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What is the best way for me to exchange my large frame for a medium frame? The classifieds? If so, which one?

I have a sweet looking Camber Comp medium in perfect condition. I think I would like to try a large. I would be willing to swap frames for a large. I can do all parts swaps by myself so that is not a problem for me. My frame is the 2011 in a 2 tone that they call silver/charcoal. I love the paint. It beautiful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    But then you would be trading 29" for 26" tires. If the extra pound bothers you more then the advantages of the larger tire, then that would be the way to go. Not to mention the components look better on the Stumpy Comp.
    Sorry, I meant 29er to 29er. Im 6'5, a 26" feels funny even in a XXL frame.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I meant 29er to 29er. Im 6'5, a 26" feels funny even in a XXL frame.
    I'm 6'3 (with long monkey arms) at 235lbs and the XL Camber feels nice. I didn't know they made a XXL, though it would have probably been too big for me. Personally if the components on the Camber 29 suited me I'd be hard pressed to spend an extra 800 for the Stumpy Comp 29 just to save a pound. Then again, I don't race, and I felt like I was really being spendy getting the Camber anyway. I could see how the choice could be hard comparing the Camper Comp 29 to the Stumpy Comp 29. At any point I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I love decisions were there's no wrong answer, just more right ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    WTF now I just got this email back. It took them a week to answer that is why I had called them.

All of the 2012 cambers are M5. There are some mistakes on the website and on some of the decals that were sent out (saying M4). We are working on fixing these issues. Bottom line, all 2012 alloy Cambers are M5.
    I ride a 21" Hardrock now and its a tad small in the cockpit for me. My LBS ordered an XL so I will see.

The Stumpy has the extra travel as well. Comparing the Camber Comp 29er to the Stumpy 29er and they are literally almost the same bike except for the travel and geometry. Its so weird that Specialized has done it like that.

The Camber 29er in Medium is 30 lbs 3 oz and the Stumpy 29er in large is 28 lbs 14 oz. I have no doubt that a lot of the weight is in the wheels for the Camber though.

Hard choices. LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    WTF now I just got this email back. It took them a week to answer that is why I had called them.

I ride a 21" Hardrock now and its a tad small in the cockpit for me. My LBS ordered an XL so I will see.

The Stumpy has the extra travel as well. Comparing the Camber Comp 29er to the Stumpy 29er and they are literally almost the same bike except for the travel and geometry. Its so weird that Specialized has done it like that.

The Camber 29er in Medium is 30 lbs 3 oz and the Stumpy 29er in large is 28 lbs 14 oz. I have no doubt that a lot of the weight is in the wheels for the Camber though.

Hard choices. LOL
    It's a heavy bike for sure and you're right that a lot of that is carried in the wheels. The rovals that come on the '12 Comp 29er I can feel spinning when I catch some air. I bought a large and it came in just over 29 lbs with pedals. My bike is one of those that was sent out with M4 badges instead of M5.

The Camber fits what I was looking for; a cost effective full suspension 29er that I tinker with later if I want. The pricing and standard size rear shock, that I can swap later or get something Push tuned, sealed the deal.

The geometry on both bikes are so similar its kinda of a toss up between the two. The Camber comes with 110 mm of travel but is probably only a spacer removal away from being 120. For 90% of the trails I ride, 4 inches of travel is more than enough. The drivetrain is solid with the XT rear derailer and SLX shifters. I prefer the "snap" feel of the SRAM XO but the current setup works without any complaints.

mtbr member
    looking to get a 2012 camber expert carbon 29er. I'm just on the verge of a med to large frame. Im riding a trek fuel ex 6 med frame right now. it seems at times it might be a bit small. My buddy also says he thinks i should get a large frame. Im 6 10 150. Any thoughts would be great thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I will be selling my 2011 large camber frame soon with a 2012 fox rp23 kashima coated shock. The frame is in very good condition and comes with front mech headset seat and seat post.
    It will be on ebay this wk end but b4 i do is anyone interested????

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    im interested i have a 2011 camber comp with a fox float r 140 up front with a stands wheel and hope hub. i want to get the rp23 for the rear. how much do you wan for just the shock? pm me
    Go big or Go home. It was a hell of a day if you have broken bones!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    finally got my first upgrade on my Camber

Blackspire Sub4 Pedals

And a new riding shoes, Five Ten Free Rider

I am going to test both later after work

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    finally got my first upgrade on my Camber

Blackspire Sub4 Pedals

And a new riding shoes, Five Ten Free Rider

I am going to test both later after work
    Nice pedals. How light are they?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice pedals. How light are they?
    Thanks. Label say its 360g a pair. Haven't check it yet though.

mtbr member
    I think those 5.10 free riders are the best looking 5.10's I've seen. Way nicer than my ugly Impacts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    A question from a newbie: Is the Spec. Camber FSR comp even a bike? I was at the store today and he told me that its the cheapest new specialized suspension bike that actually has some value. But I can't seem to find anything online about it! even the specialized website doesn't list it. He said that it was around $1550 and the 'normal' 2012 Camber Comp starts at around $1850. I was wondering because he gave me that price and I was looking at an 'unused' 2008 Stumpjumper FSR comp for around the same. thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mohsin View Post
    A question from a newbie: Is the Spec. Camber FSR comp even a bike? I was at the store today and he told me that its the cheapest new specialized suspension bike that actually has some value. But I can't seem to find anything online about it! even the specialized website doesn't list it. He said that it was around $1550 and the 'normal' 2012 Camber Comp starts at around $1850. I was wondering because he gave me that price and I was looking at an 'unused' 2008 Stumpjumper FSR comp for around the same. thanks
    I guess its a bike Most of the posters on this thread is a Camber owner.
    I'm not sure what you are looking for but if you are looking for the links, here it is:

2011 Camber Comp: (You have to look at the archive to find the previous years' models)
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Camber Comp

2012 Camber Comp:
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Camber Comp

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has anyone modified their RockShox SID 29 from 110mm to 120mm.
    Last edited by FSRJeff; 10-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a 2011 epic carbon comp 29er, first 29er and a great bike.

Looking for second fun bike…little more suspension & slacker head angle, SJ FSR 29er maybe a little too much. 2012 Camber 29er appears to be good choice…yet to test ride & have failed to sell my 2009 SJ FSR 26er so far.

There was a comment in a earlier post that the RockShox SID RLT 29 110mm fork might be only a spacer removal away from being 120mm.

Has anyone modified their RockShox SID 29 from 110mm to 120mm.

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 368