Page 71 of 124 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3082
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am able to get a super deal on a 2013 camber comp 29er from my LBS, and was positive that was the bike I wanted. Today I saw a 2012 camber comp carbon 29er for the same price. they both have the same drivetrain, but the carbon has better brakes, and fox suspension.

What do you guys think?

I know I will be very happy with the 2013, but I am a big fan of carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reviller View Post
    I am able to get a super deal on a 2013 camber comp 29er from my LBS, and was positive that was the bike I wanted. Today I saw a 2012 camber comp carbon 29er for the same price. they both have the same drivetrain, but the carbon has better brakes, and fox suspension.

What do you guys think?

I would get the 2012.
    Ride like you stole it!

2015 Camber Carbon Expert EVO
    2014 Camber Comp

dying hurts.
    carbon frame, better brakes and fox fork for the same price?
    who gives a damn if it's last years model....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reviller View Post

What do you guys think?

My brother bought his 2013 carbon in January for 150.00 more than my 2012, that I bought in october.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Ride them both, they are different in ride quality. I faced the same question and bought the 2013 Comp... it felt more lively than the carbon comp. (my opinion based on riding them back to back... it may or may not be shared by you or anyone else).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Ride them both, they are different in ride quality. I faced the same question and bought the 2013 Comp... it felt more lively than the carbon comp. (my opinion based on riding them back to back... it may or may not be shared by you or anyone else).
    Unfortunately I don't have that option, the carbon is not in town. Thanks for the input.

Freelance Whatever

Alu/Carbon differences

I was looking at the 2013 Comp and the Carbon Comp when a friend clued me into something that I hadn't noticed. When riding the Comp, the large felt okay, and was thinking that if I went Carbon, I could get the same size. But looking at the Spec site and the measurements..I didn't realize that the frames were that much different. My friend said that he preferred the Aluminum for the smaller upper link and the rear pivot location. Looking at the swingarms, the rear pivots are in slightly different locations. The frame geometry also is noticeably different and the linkage is smaller. I think the M in a carbon flavor would be more my size (confirmed by the Camber sizing thread). Crazy stuff...Guess I need to request bigger monitors at work, so I don't miss that stuff when doing my "research".
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdownca View Post
    I was looking at the 2013 Comp and the Carbon Comp when a friend clued me into something that I hadn't noticed. When riding the Comp, the large felt okay, and was thinking that if I went Carbon, I could get the same size. But looking at the Spec site and the measurements..I didn't realize that the frames were that much different. My friend said that he preferred the Aluminum for the smaller upper link and the rear pivot location. Looking at the swingarms, the rear pivots are in slightly different locations. The frame geometry also is noticeably different and the linkage is smaller. I think the M in a carbon flavor would be more my size (confirmed by the Camber sizing thread). Crazy stuff...Guess I need to request bigger monitors at work, so I don't miss that stuff when doing my "research".
    Thanks for that info. That is something I never would have thought about.

The carbon is off the table now, due to it being sold. I can't wait for the snow to be gone here so I can get out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm new to the site and have a few questions regarding upgrades, I have a 2012 Camber Comp all stock. I am looking at doing some up grades to reduce weight. First thought is Enve riser bar and seat post. Any other ideas or other areas that I should look at upgrading first?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You won't lose much weight with the bar and stem. If you want to shed weight on the bike, look to the wheels and tires. Lighter wheels and tires (tubeless) will go MUCH further than the bar/stem. Replacing the bar/stem to lose weight is a couple of steps above replacing hardware with titanium, yes, you will lose weight, but you really won't notice it. Start with wheels if you have the money or some lighter tires if you don't.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just picked up a 2012 carbon expert and love it. Dropper post replaced with a regular post, easton haven carbon bar next will be stans crests then it will be perfect imo.

Forgot to mention i set personal best times on just about every trail i ride and was not even trying to do that since it was my first real ride of the season.
    Last edited by Bmann_mtb; 04-26-2013 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Knight511, thanks for you advise. Any that you would recommend? I have looked into Stan's. I have been looking at swapping out the cassette as well. Not hugely concerned about weight but shedding a few LBS is always nice.

Freelance Whatever
    +1. Anytime you want to throw money at your bike and feel an immediate change, make it the rotating weight. After that, I would start looking at any "housebranded" stuff on the bike as usually that's where they can cut corners, but the Specy stuff is pretty good in that department..
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    That isn't a question one can just throw answer to. Wheels are rider dependent. How much you weigh? What type of rider are you? What type of conditions do you ride in?

For me, a clyde, I am concerned more about strength than weight in my wheels. I pick Stan's Flow EX hoops laced with 14g spoked to a 36 hole Hope Evo 2 rear hub. The front hub? With our OS28 end caps, we are kind of stuck with the OEM hubs.... I am okay with that for the front.

A lighter and daintier rider would want to get a rim that is lighter yet strong (any other Stan's rim for example). A lighter rider can also go to 32 spokes to shed a bit more weight.

Wheels are a tough question that needs more details to answer even remotely well.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread

^What is considered as light weight rider? I'm looking at changing to a lighter tire too and this info can help me decide what to get. Thanks in advance. I got a medium camber, I'm 5'9" 165#. I would assume I'm a light weight rider.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Camber Comp
    Upgrades: 2012 2x10 | X9 Shifters | X0 FD | X9 RD | X7 Crankset | X9 Cassette

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    Jinda- mid weight. We're about the same size. Lightweight is more around the <= 150# range. I wouldn't worry about lighter tires. Wheels- maybe, but it depends on the type of riding you do and your suspension set up. If you're more xc than trail you could lighten your wheel set quite a bit from a stock bike, depending on which model you have.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Changing to a lighter tire will actually make the MOST difference in rotational weight as it is the longest distance away from center. It isn't magic, it is physics. Less rotational weight takes less energy to move and the further away ffrom center the weight is, the more energy it takes.

As for rims, at your weight and if you are more of an XC rider, you can use the Stans Crest rims... more trail/AM? Go for the Arch. Both save considerable weight over the OEM and Flow EX as the weight is, again, far from center. Build the wheels using 14/15/14 butted spokes and the hubs you chose.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread

Thanks^

I understand the physics around it. It's like torque/moment. But I don't have the experience or knowledge about the rider's weight relation in regards to tire and rims or wheels as a whole. Like what weight and riding style can a specific wheel combination support.

But I guess supported weights can be verified from the technical specs, it's just that, there are still some intangible aspects that only experienced riders like yourself are aware of.

I'll check your recommendations about Stan. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Camber Comp
    Upgrades: 2012 2x10 | X9 Shifters | X0 FD | X9 RD | X7 Crankset | X9 Cassette

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    At your weight, your rim choice will have more to do with your riding style and your location. If you beat your wheels up, you will need stronger wheels. If you are a more graceful rider, you can use lighter. 165 is really an average weighted rider (MAYBE 15 pounds above "average"). You can get away with a lot more than a steam rolling, fatty like myself

Anyway... check out prowheelbuilder.com.... when you look at the rims, sort by strength and I would venture to say anything rated a 3 or higher (3-5) you can use with no problem. 3 for graceful rider, maybe a 4 if you beat them up.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Great ride today at Hobbs State Park, AR. Big elevation changes were working the legs pretty hard but the views were worth it. We even came across 3-4 deer. Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_1873.jpegOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_1878.jpeg
    Last edited by mikewadley; 04-21-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Ride like you stole it!

2015 Camber Carbon Expert EVO
    2014 Camber Comp

mtbr member
    Much dirtier on my ride today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here.

I have a 2012 camber elite with the RockShox rockshox ario rl rear shock, I want to upgrade it and want to know if the fox float rp23 will ok, I've found one on chainreaction and with a code I have if works out quite cheap.. If it does fit is it an easy job as I'm new to FS. Hear is what in thinking of buying

Fox Suspension Float RP23 Rear Shock 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was just looking at that myself last night.

I found this which seemed to suggest that you could do the 51mm without any adjustments (not even an offset bush required).

Upgrading Specialized Camber 29er Ario RL rear shock

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is what's on it now

Rear Shock: RockShox Ario RL, air spring, 200x51mm

And I have just ordered this

Fox Suspension Float RP23 Rear Shock 2012 - 200mm - 51mm Stroke

Hopefully it will just be a easy swap

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperatedan85 View Post
    This is what's on it now

Rear Shock: RockShox Ario RL, air spring, 200x51mm

And I have just ordered this

Fox Suspension Float RP23 Rear Shock 2012 - 200mm - 51mm Stroke

Hopefully it will just be a easy swap
    Report back. I don't know enough about suspension tuning, but is it as easy as that?

Page 71 of 124 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 121 ... LastLast