Page 66 of 89 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 4445
    mtbr member

upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by fefillo View Post
    Looking for some opinions and experience for replacing/upgrading the rear shock on my 2013 Camber Comb. I've got a Monarch RL that's got some issues, and even though it's fixable, I think I would rather spend a bit more money and get something new instead.

So... Can I shop around for aftermarket shocks at all or are we limited to going through Specialized for custom specced shocks due to tuning and the linkage wishbone setup?

Either way... What's a good replacement shock in the $300-$500 range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just put a 120mm Pike fork on my Camber EVO repacing my 110mm SID fork. I also bought a Boostvalve Kashima CTD shock ( on E bay ) to replace my CTD Evolution shock. I just recently did this so I'm still trying to sort it all out. I have no doubt the Pike was a good move but the Boost valve has the large volume air can and I am still trying to dial it in. If you can find a cheap CTD Evo shock I would recommend that. Make sure it matches your existing shock length.Official Specialized Camber Thread-camber-upgrade.jpg
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member

Official Specialized Camber Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MObiker View Post
    I just put a 120mm Pike fork on my Camber EVO repacing my 110mm SID fork. I also bought a Boostvalve Kashima CTD shock ( on E bay ) to replace my CTD Evolution shock. I just recently did this so I'm still trying to sort it all out. I have no doubt the Pike was a good move but the Boost valve has the large volume air can and I am still trying to dial it in. If you can find a cheap CTD Evo shock I would recommend that. Make sure it matches your existing shock length.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camber upgrade.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	964717
    What year is your bike? My shock linkage is different and the shock does not have the normal eyelets on both sides, just one.

See here:

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's a great shock. What are your issues with it?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    That's a great shock. What are your issues with it?
    I screwed up the rebound dampening, and instead of buying parts and tools to fix it (or paying someone to do it), I'm trying to figure out if those $100-$150 may be better spent saving them for a new shock.

mtbr member
    What year is your bike? My shock linkage is different and the shock does not have the normal eyelets on both sides, just one.

See here:

Mine is a 2013 Carbon EVO. I am not familiar with your shock set-up but I am sure someone else can help you or find a post on rear shocks in the Specialized forum.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    I'm around 5'10.75" and I've tested both. The large "fit" better, but I preferred the way the medium felt/handled.
    I am a knuckle dragger, long arms, long torso etc. I am 5'11" and my 2013 Camber is an XL, with a longer stem and the seat moved as far back as possible. Fits me great and handles fine in the rough stuff, LBS did not believe it until they fit me on a medium, then large then the XL, but I could barely ride the medium and was thinking on the large, now I am glad I went with the XL
    Cheers,

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The differences in the shocks is simple.

MObiker has an old style of rear triangle. The aluminum Cambers BEFORE 2013 and carbon Cambers BEFORE 2014 used that old style linkage.

Fefillo has the new (and current) style of rear triangle. The 2013 or newer aluminum and 2014 or newer carbon Cambers use that linkage.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, you only have a few choices to replace the new style shock. You can either buy a Rock Shox Monarch exactly like you have now or a Fox found on the higher end Cambers. You are WAY better off fixing your shock than you are replacing it as the "upgrades" will not make much, if any, difference. Spend the money you save on something better, like lighter wheels or something.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

mtbr member
    I was thinking of buy a new fork, Specialized recommends no more than a 120mm on a standard camber, has anyone gone bigger? would 130mm really throw it off?
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    FWIW, you only have a few choices to replace the new style shock. You can either buy a Rock Shox Monarch exactly like you have now or a Fox found on the higher end Cambers. You are WAY better off fixing your shock than you are replacing it as the "upgrades" will not make much, if any, difference. Spend the money you save on something better, like lighter wheels or something.
    Thanks for the feedback. I arrived at a similar conclusion after going through my options with a guy at the LBS.

I'm going to try to fix mine myself, parts are orders. In the meantime, he said he could sell me a used Monarch off a Rumor (it's apparently the same as the one on the Camber but with lady colored stickers) for ~$100.

The more expensive option was converting the bike to EVO, but LBS said the could not find the EVO links listed in Specialized website as if Specialized had stopped selling (the guy had personally done a few conversions and said parts used to be listed).

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    I live in SoCal and own 2 Camber Expert Evos a 2014 and a 2015
    Best mtb made !
    My rides are about 75% climbing
    The 1x11 is great
    I just change the chainring to smaller (28 or even 26)
    I take alot of flak for the 26t but I can climb anything easily
    I dont spin out until about 40mph
    I rarely go that fast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
    I really like the 2014 Camber Expert EVO, but not the 1x11 - with the mountain climbs here in SoCal,Ö.and converting it to a 2x10 would severely inflate the $6k msrp. The Alloy EVO comes with a 2x10, but I donít like the color and I want a carbon frame. So hereís what Iíd like to do.

Purchase a Camber Comp Carbon and convert it to EVO geometry......
    This bike comes with a 110 Fox fork and Iím hoping that I can easily remove a spacer to make it 120 (is this possible?). For the rear, Iím hoping to be able to order an EVO rear shock swing link from Spec and install it for the 120 rear travelÖ.wondering if I can order that part separately and not have to order an new rear shock?

If this is possible, I could have a budget 2x10 Camber Carbon EVO for around $4k.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Detroiter,

You might want to check with your LBS before you buy the bike to see if the EVO link stuff is available. There have been a few folks on here who have tried to do the same thing and were told that Spesh no longer offered the parts for sale.

Another option would be to buy the Expert Evo and sell off the 1x11 set up. You should be able to easily sell that for enough to replace with 2x10. Food for thought. Either way, good luck. You will love the bike.

SM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
    I live in SoCal and own 2 Camber Expert Evos a 2014 and a 2015
    Best mtb made !
    My rides are about 75% climbing
    The 1x11 is great
    I just change the chainring to smaller (28 or even 26)
    I take alot of flak for the 26t but I can climb anything easily
    I dont spin out until about 40mph
    I rarely go that fast
    I hate you...lol the expert evo is my dream bike, I could only wish to own one, came close to it last week, somebody was selling there '14 on ebay I only could only go to 3 grand than I had to bail on bidding, I think it ended up selling for 3400, guy actually added a new raceface next sl crank and xx1 cassette, derailleur and shifter. Its the one that got away.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    What, no cane creek DB shock...cheap skate...lol Nice bike, how well does how the parts perform?

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    The Rockshox Monarch performs better than the CCDB
    I had one on my 14 Enduro
    The Monarch is perfect for the Camber
    Have one on my 15 Stumpy as well RC3 Plus
    Parts work well overall this is the best bike I have ever ridden
    And there have been many

mtbr member
    The Rockshox Monarch performs better than the CCDB
    I had one on my 14 Enduro
    The Monarch is perfect for the Camber
    Have one on my 15 Stumpy as well RC3 Plus
    Parts work well overall this is the best bike I have ever ridden
    And there have been many
    Ok cool, glad mine came with a monarch then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I was thinking of buy a new fork, Specialized recommends no more than a 120mm on a standard camber, has anyone gone bigger? would 130mm really throw it off?
    I replaced stock 100mm SID fork on my Epic with 120mm Fox and love what it did. I seriously doubt going to 130mm would be anything but awesome on the Camber for trail riding. Racers might not like the slower turning, so depends on what kind of riding you do. Have fun with it. I plan on getting a Camber next year and putting a 140mm Pike on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've got a 130mm Pike on my carbon camber EVO (120mm rear) and it absolutely rocks!

mtbr member
    I've got a 2015 Camber EVO completely stock. I was thinking of replacing the wheels, handlebars and stem with carbon versions. I love the wide Roval rims anyone know of a wide carbon rim that I could go with? Whats your recommendation for handlebars and stems? I wouldn't mine putting on a different set of brake rotors. Is there a different brand I can use that will still work with the shimano brakes? Before anyone says it I know none of these items need replacing and the bike performs perfectly as is. I just want to put my spin on an absolutely great bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    I've got a 2015 Camber EVO completely stock. I was thinking of replacing the wheels, handlebars and stem with carbon versions. I love the wide Roval rims anyone know of a wide carbon rim that I could go with? Whats your recommendation for handlebars and stems? I wouldn't mine putting on a different set of brake rotors. Is there a different brand I can use that will still work with the shimano brakes? Before anyone says it I know none of these items need replacing and the bike performs perfectly as is. I just want to put my spin on an absolutely great bike.
    I just put the Roval fattie SL carbons on my camber with 2.3 tire front and rear. They fit great. Bars are sort of a personal thing, but I run 720mm wide easton carbons. I have found most brake rotors are interchangeable, with a slight variation in widths, which MIGHT affect where in lever travel engages pad to rotor. Unless you are extremely sensitive it, and you don't have an adjustable bite point, it probably won't matter much.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    I agree with the Roval Fattie SL's
    Have them on my stumpy
    Hbars and stem I like the RF 35mm Next and the Atlas 35mm in 65mm length
    My 2 cents

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    New to the forum - just getting back into biking and bought a 2014 base Camber. I'm mainly single track XC and some steep up and down - been riding about 100 hours now and love the camber!!!! I'm regretting not buying the Evo - a lot of roots and rocks where I ride and the stock camber rattles my teeth from time to time and the tektro brakes seems to warm up fast!

So looking to folks here for advice - do I got back to my LBS and trade my two month old bike in on a 2015 Evo or do I go shopping and buy a new fork, brakes, and try to convert my rear linkage /shock to the Evo? I think I know the answer....

Does NOT know it all!
    Welcome back! I can't say what is best for you, but when I got back into riding last summer I talked myself out of the base Camber and went with the Camber Comp Carbon - which I like very much. I upgraded to Carbon Wheels, Carbon Easton bar, and Command seatpost - which makes the bike even more likable. My riding buddy wanted a Camber too, but decided due to money issues to get the Camber Comp - and is enjoying it the way it is. Your best bet may be to trade your Camber in for something more to your tastes - too bad you didn't go that way in the beginning. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    New to the forum - just getting back into biking and bought a 2014 base Camber. I'm mainly single track XC and some steep up and down - been riding about 100 hours now and love the camber!!!! I'm regretting not buying the Evo - a lot of roots and rocks where I ride and the stock camber rattles my teeth from time to time and the tektro brakes seems to warm up fast!

So looking to folks here for advice - do I got back to my LBS and trade my two month old bike in on a 2015 Evo or do I go shopping and buy a new fork, brakes, and try to convert my rear linkage /shock to the Evo? I think I know the answer....
    Just keep what you got, the camber is a great bike, why shell out way more money for a tiny more slacker ht angle. What do you mean by "rattles my teeth" I own the comp so the fork may be different. If that's the case spending 300 bucks on a fork would be the way to go, and while your at it go with a 120mm and you have a slacker bike. there are a few Rockshox Revelation RL forks on ebay going for 300 bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Just keep what you got, the camber is a great bike, why shell out way more money for a tiny more slacker ht angle. What do you mean by "rattles my teeth" I own the comp so the fork may be different. If that's the case spending 300 bucks on a fork would be the way to go, and while your at it go with a 120mm and you have a slacker bike. there are a few Rockshox Revelation RL forks on ebay going for 300 bucks.
    Probably sage advice. I have the mechanical spring suntour on there now. Is it going to cause any issue if I upgrade to an air shock like the Reba and go with 120mm of travel while the rear is 110mm? The current suntour is more like an on / off switch and has a lot of drag / stickiness to it. Plus I think it weighs a ton!

I also want to convert over to tubeless - should i ditch the stock specialized rims and go with a modest part of Stan's arch or Flows?

Does NOT know it all!
    My Camber's Roval wheels and my friend's Roval wheels were 2Blis ready - I would just use those to save money.

mtbr member

I was in your same boat last year. Bought base Camber, loved the bike and ended up riding it so much that I wanted to upgrade every other part. Was lucky and was able to find a used Camber Comp same year model. Sold mine for $1500, bought the Comp for $1650.

I would watch for a deal on a used bike if you want to go with the option that makes the most financial sense, but no one is going to judge you if you go the upgrade route.

As far as the wheels go... I would just convert your current rims and beat the hell out of those before upgrading.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    What size do you need ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What size do you need ?
    Replace what's on there now - 15mm front axle and 12 thru x 142mm rear. The spec sheet says they are specialized alloy rims. Nowhere does it mention Rovals.

mtbr member
    Probably sage advice. I have the mechanical spring suntour on there now. Is it going to cause any issue if I upgrade to an air shock like the Reba and go with 120mm of travel while the rear is 110mm? The current suntour is more like an on / off switch and has a lot of drag / stickiness to it. Plus I think it weighs a ton!

I also want to convert over to tubeless - should i ditch the stock specialized rims and go with a modest part of Stan's arch or Flows?
    Yeah there's your problem. As for rims the new Roval Fatties are nice, I just picked up some WTB Frequency I23's w/dt swiss 350 hubs off of pinkbike for 300 bucks.

But to be honest I would keep the wheels and upgrade the brakes, because that was your first complaint, I got Shimano Deores M615 (way better than stock) Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brakes - Front & Rear Set | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member

Replace what's on there now - 15mm front axle and 12 thru x 142mm rear. The spec sheet says they are specialized alloy rims. Nowhere does it mention Rovals.
    You are right, you DO NOT have Roval rims on your base Camber. But they will still convert to tubeless just fine. They should have the brown specialized strip, if not, just wrap with one layer of tape of your choice (Stans yellow tape, gorilla tape, etc.) and get some tubeless valves. That's it.

With some soapy water, sealant and patience I could mount the ground control tires in the Spech rims with just a floor pump after removing the valve core.

Let me know if any of this does not make sense and I can try to explain further.

mtbr member
    If you have the money, upgrading to the Reba, slap some Arches on, and you're brakes of choice. You'll be surprised at the improvement it would make.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    If you have the money, upgrading to the Reba, slap some Arches on, and you're brakes of choice. You'll be surprised at the improvement it would make.
    You're looking at ~$600 bucks there and you're still on a 3x9 drivetrain.

Ride the bike as is as long as you can while saving and waiting for a good deal to show up.

mtbr member
    I have a base model and I changed out the stock forks for a RS SID XX. There was a huge weight saving and a big improvement in ride. The fork bolted right on, but you'll have to have a new hub laced onto the front. The stocker is QR and most good aftermarket forks are thru-axle.
    DaveH
    '15 SalsaHorsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    I have a brand new Fox Float CTD non Kashima taken off (never ridden) of a 2015 Camber Expert
    Will sell cheap if any of you are interested

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a brand new Fox Float CTD non Kashima taken off (never ridden) of a 2015 Camber Expert
    Will sell cheap if any of you are interested
    I'm interested!
    2015 Camber Carbon 29er | 2015 Spec.Roubaix-Disc | Surly Straggler | Look 585 |Cervelo Soloist Carbon | Kona Kapu|MoreÖ.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Sold

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    Chili con carnage, great user name. Enjoy your fork!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey folks.. Long time lurker and rider from the Santa Cruz mountains.

I have lusted after a Spesh Camber for quite sometime, they seem like awesome all around trail bikes.. I think I have read just about every page in this thread.. Lots of great info and pics..

I have been riding a Med. Santa Cruz Chameleon for the last 10+ years.. I love the bike, It was a single speed for many years, but after 2 knee surgeries later I had to add gears, so it's now a 1 x 8..

We bought our fist house a few years ago.. $$ is tight and I know that I will never be able to afford a nice full suspension anytime soon..

I recently came upon a used 2011-2012(?) Spesh Camber from a friend, for VERY cheap, It's in great shape and is primarily stock, the only thing is that it is a size Small.. It'll be my 1st FS bike..

I am torn on what to do, it's almost too good of a deal to pass up, For the most part it seems to fit me fine, especaially coming off of my SC Chameleon..

I am 5'8 on a good day and have test rode 29er Camber's in Med and they seem a little too big to me and with this small Camber It feels light and agile enough, with plenty of control..
    May just go ahead and do it, get a longer stem and ride it for a few years.. If anything my 11 year old who is starting to ride can inherit it..

mtbr member

You may not want to hear this, but... I am 5' 7" and ride a 2013 medium with the seat all the way back. You might be able to squeeze on the small with longer stem, etc. but then you'd be changing the handling too much for what stem would feel right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You may not want to hear this, but... I am 5' 7" and ride a 2013 medium with the seat all the way back. You might be able to squeeze on the small with longer stem, etc. but then you'd be changing the hassling too much for what stem would feel right.

Yeah. I kind of figured that. The med that I had tested just seemed awkward and crazy big/long for what I'm used to. I'm going to give this bike a few rides before I commit to anything.

mtbr member

Hey, if it's such a good deal, you can always use it for a while and sell it I I it doesn't work out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey, if it's such a good deal, you can always use it for a while and sell it I I it doesn't work out.

That's kind of what I was thinking too.. For the price, it's definitely too hard to pass up..

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfolk View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking too.. For the price, it's definitely too hard to pass up..
    Medium is most likely your "best size" but economics play into everything. Use for a while and give it to your son. Then the 2 of you can go out for a ride!!! And then you have an excuse to get e new one. For riding with your son, of course.

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    That's the best reason to buy a camber, to give it to your son so you can get the medium EVO. This guy is brilliant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey Bluebeard, the mtn bike magazines have been raving about that RS1 upside down for work on your camber. Just curious what you think of it compared to other forks. Thanks for your input.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008

RS-1 Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdev1 View Post
    Hey Bluebeard, the mtn bike magazines have been raving about that RS1 upside down for work on your camber. Just curious what you think of it compared to other forks. Thanks for your input.
    This fork has completely ruined me
    I have 2(14 and 15) Camber Expert EVO's (Pike/RS-1), 1 Stumpy Expert EVO(Pike) (15), 1(13) S-Works Epic(120mm SIDXX)
    and a 2011 S-Works Stumpy (Rev XX WC 150 DP) in the works
    All I can say is that I am thoroughly thrilled with the RS-1
    I have 3 bottomless tokens in it and it is magical
    I am working to score another one for the 14 Camber Expert EVO

mtbr member
    I have 2012 Camber Comp. It came with the rear shock list below:

REAR SHOCKCustom Fox Triad II, custom for 29er on-the-fly 3-position compression switch 1) Lock out 2) Open 3) ProPedal, rebound adj., 200x49mm

Right now the shock is losing pressure during rides. Gets down to like 80 psi. I have it in the shop right now for them to look at, but if they tell me it is going to be like $250 to repair and have to send to Fox again I'm thinking of getting a replacement instead.

I want to shop on PinkBike, and I see some descent prices there for good shocks. What is the key thing to look for so I can make sure I get something fits my bike?

I'm thinking of a RockShox Monarch, but will take recommendations. I'd like to spend no more than $250 used.

ben

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    I paid $262.64 shipped for 2015 Monarch RT3 Autosag for my Camber from Starbike
    I bought one for a 2011 S-Works Stumpy as well
    Takes about 2 weeks to get but worth the wait