Page 64 of 127 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3155
    mtbr member
    Anyone have the White/Red Camber Comp? What do you think about the white? Any issues?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I have the white. I love the white and red. And what kind of issues would you expect?

Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    I have the white. I love the white and red. And what kind of issues would you expect?

I love the white but heard it was hard to clean. A few posts about black shoe marks that could not be removed too. I have the demo out for a ride tomorrow and then I'm ordering the white/red next week. Any advice on must have upgrades?

mtbr member
    Love the white!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Like I posted above, I just washed the bike Friday. There is a sticker protecting the seat stay on the drive side that has picked up some dirt just under its lip that may suck some in the future. I will just buy some clear protective vinyl and wrap the stay after pulling off the smaller sticker. Your shoes will leave some marks on the rear end, but anyone that complains about them not coming off has never REALLY washed or detailed a car.

To remove the marks, I use just a small touch of Goof Off on a rag and the marks come RIGHT off. Be warned, the hard plastic chainstay protector MUST be removed to use Gofo Off (or similar product) because the product will attack the plastic and it leaves black streaks that have to be removed. Any time you use a harsher solvent like Goof Off (on any painted surface, car bike or otherwise), you absolutely MUST rewax the area you cleaned with it.

For gentle washing (not TONS of mud) I use an automotive quick detailer spray (McQuire's Quick Detailer) because it is spray on, soak for a second and wipe off, no rinsing needed (less water used cleaning a bike is better IMHO). I follow that up with a spray wax (McQuire's Quick Wax or NXT spray wax are my preferences). If the bike were muddier, I would use a mild automotive car wash soap (NEVER use dish soap on cars or bikes, it strips any protective wax off and will dry the clear coat and paint out). I think I have Turtle Wax car wash in the garage currently.

This is the chain stay with the protector removed. The black mark you can see is actually from the plastic protector and will clean off with Goof Off too. I removed the protector for the photo so you could see how clean it is.

This is the seat stay up close. You can kind of see the edge of the sticker I mentioned above.

I assure you, both of these had shoe marks on them prior to being cleaned.... both cleaned up perfectly. I love my white bike. I only bought it after I got the white car (which I NEVER buy white cars, but the crystal white pearl is gorgeous in person). The white rack was an accident (I was driving a black car when I ordered it and just forgot to tell them I wanted the black rack). I am a color coordinating whore though when it comes to parts on my bike... you know... red parts as things get replaced.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    And I know the chain needs to be cleaned.... that is on today's list of work.

And for the record, I think black bikes are WAY over played now and are boring as crap. I often complain about the lack of colors from the big 3... my first bike was teal to purple fade (Trek 930), after that was a NEON red Klein (they called it "race red") and then a blue over carbon soft tail. All these muted, sad colors like flat black and brown made me sad when I started shopping, I was VERY happy to see the white/red option on the new frames. It isn't necessarily a cool color, but it is FAR better than just another black bike IMHO. I would have LOVED a mango orange or Kermit green bike from Niner, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I had two white cars which I liked the color of. If the carbon was in white it would be better than the silver and natural.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The white car is great until I have to clean it. White doesn't hide anything, so there is a lot more work. It doesn't help that Speed3s run rich and have plenty of soot to deal with.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Like I posted above, I just washed the bike Friday. There is a sticker protecting the seat stay on the drive side that has picked up some dirt just under its lip that may suck some in the future. I will just buy some clear protective vinyl and wrap the stay after pulling off the smaller sticker. Your shoes will leave some marks on the rear end, but anyone that complains about them not coming off has never REALLY washed or detailed a car.

To remove the marks, I use just a small touch of Goof Off on a rag and the marks come RIGHT off. Be warned, the hard plastic chainstay protector MUST be removed to use Gofo Off (or similar product) because the product will attack the plastic and it leaves black streaks that have to be removed. Any time you use a harsher solvent like Goof Off (on any painted surface, car bike or otherwise), you absolutely MUST rewax the area you cleaned with it.

For gentle washing (not TONS of mud) I use an automotive quick detailer spray (McQuire's Quick Detailer) because it is spray on, soak for a second and wipe off, no rinsing needed (less water used cleaning a bike is better IMHO). I follow that up with a spray wax (McQuire's Quick Wax or NXT spray wax are my preferences). If the bike were muddier, I would use a mild automotive car wash soap (NEVER use dish soap on cars or bikes, it strips any protective wax off and will dry the clear coat and paint out). I think I have Turtle Wax car wash in the garage currently.

This is the chain stay with the protector removed. The black mark you can see is actually from the plastic protector and will clean off with Goof Off too. I removed the protector for the photo so you could see how clean it is.

This is the seat stay up close. You can kind of see the edge of the sticker I mentioned above.

I assure you, both of these had shoe marks on them prior to being cleaned.... both cleaned up perfectly. I love my white bike. I only bought it after I got the white car (which I NEVER buy white cars, but the crystal white pearl is gorgeous in person). The white rack was an accident (I was driving a black car when I ordered it and just forgot to tell them I wanted the black rack). I am a color coordinating whore though when it comes to parts on my bike... you know... red parts as things get replaced.
    Thank you for taking the time to write this up and attach pictures. Good advice on cleaning and washing the bike. I have to admit, I haven't been that careful on my current bike but the Camber is a big step up.

I have a Bright White Jeep with red/black seat covers so I was actually joking about buying a bike that matched. After seeing your pictures, it will look good on the back of the Jeep on the way to the trails.

I'm about to head out for a test ride on the demo but after a short ride yesterday I'm all but sold on the Camber Comp and I will be ordering the White/Red. I agree with you on color options. Specialized does offer a few more colors in other countries but not in the US.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I will give you just 1 piece of advice... as soon as you bring the bike home and before you ride it... get a rag out and wax the bike, it makes clean up much easier.

Also, you asked about "must have upgrades," and the only thing I would recommend is a set of pedals that you like. If you have old pedals you like, put them on and ride. I had the shop replace the shifters to grip shift because that is how I roll.... and grip shift is MUCH easier on my hands. The bike makes me really happy and the only planned upgrade for the beginning of this year is to switch to tubeless. Wheels to be built later in the year (I am a super Clydesdale and the stock wheels may or may not be strong enough to handle my fat ass). The bike is great out of the box.... just be sure to break the brakes in properly, they aren't too bad (I do have to clean my rotors and pads with rubbing alcohol every other ride as dust makes them a bit unhappy).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I will give you just 1 piece of advice... as soon as you bring the bike home and before you ride it... get a rag out and wax the bike, it makes clean up much easier.

Also, you asked about "must have upgrades," and the only thing I would recommend is a set of pedals that you like. If you have old pedals you like, put them on and ride. I had the shop replace the shifters to grip shift because that is how I roll.... and grip shift is MUCH easier on my hands. The bike makes me really happy and the only planned upgrade for the beginning of this year is to switch to tubeless. Wheels to be built later in the year (I am a super Clydesdale and the stock wheels may or may not be strong enough to handle my fat ass). The bike is great out of the box.... just be sure to break the brakes in properly, they aren't too bad (I do have to clean my rotors and pads with rubbing alcohol every other ride as dust makes them a bit unhappy).
    Just got back from a 12 mile ride on the demo and I'm sold! Now I understand what everyone is talking about on the Camber, it took my riding to the next level. The guys I ride with had a hard time keeping up and usually they are waiting on me on my old hardtail. I'll be ordering the white/red tomorrow for sure. The LBS said they would set it up as tubeless so I thought I would try that since it's easy enough to change back if I have issues. I already have new grips(ergon), pedals(VP Comp), and a WTB saddle. The only other option I'm considering is a new set of wheels. The shop will build a custom set and take the stock ones in on trade. They are telling me it will save about 1 pound of spin weight in addition to another ~1/2 pound for going tubeless. I keep hearing this is one of those must have upgrades and makes a big difference in climbing and acceleration. I'm in the clydesdale class as well, so my only concern is can they handle the weight. Now comes the hard part ~ waiting until it is delivered. The good news is Specialized has plenty of white in stock so they are telling me it shouldn't take more than 5 days. Thanks for all the help and advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Personally I really don't like the camber I own the 2012 camber comp and so far the head set bearings have warn out somehow and the rear hub bears are screwed got it all replaced all good now.....
    Maybe I just had a bad rin with it but I now have a 2013 trek remedy 8

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Remedy View Post
    Personally I really don't like the camber I own the 2012 camber comp and so far the head set bearings have warn out somehow and the rear hub bears are screwed got it all replaced all good now.....
    Maybe I just had a bad rin with it but I now have a 2013 trek remedy 8
    Putting aside the fact that you've had mechanical difficulties, did you like it otherwise? Did it ride well? And shouldn't those things have been fixed under warranty? I haven't had a single mechanical problem with my 2012 Camber.

Other than the Elixir brakes, which were Satan's own beasts of Hell, and have now been replaced by SLX brakes.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at the Archive for the 2012 Camber comp 29, I shows it with Fox shocks. Just want to confirm that's what the 2012 came with. bike shop says they can get me a good deal on a 2012.

mtbr member
    I have a 12, it has Fox front and rear.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    I emailed local bike shop, they said they could do the 2012 camber comp 29 for $1350 on sale, Does that sound about right price wise? I emailed him again to make sure we are both talking about the 29. price sounds to good to me.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by jammin View Post
    I emailed local bike shop, they said they could do the 2012 camber comp 29 for $1350 on sale, Does that sound about right price wise? I emailed him again to make sure we are both talking about the 29. price sounds to good to me.
    It's a great price. The frame isn't as advanced as this years, but the component spec is much better. It's basically half off for a one year old model.

mtbr member
    That's what I was going to say
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)

mtbr member
    Figured it was to good to be true, Turn's out that price was for the 26" wheel version, he miss read, what a bummer.

mtbr member
    That's disappointing

mtbr member
    Let me ask you guys this, Is the clearance there on the fork and rear triangle on the 2012 model with the 26" wheels to fit 29" wheels?, Maybe i could get the 26" model for now then over the winter upgrade it to 29" wheels. Then sell the 26" wheels for some extra cash.

mtbr member
    I think no. Larger wheels require more clearance so they would not fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    I think no. Larger wheels require more clearance so they would not fit.
    Ok, Wasn't sure if they used the same triangle on the rear and same fork. thx.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Not to mention that the 26" Camber Comp was not as well equipped as the 29er. Also be aware that if you are going to look to reduce weight in the future, the M5 framed 2013s are something like 1.5 pounds (total bike) lighter than the 2012 with the M4. The carbon bikes use to be ~2 pounds lighter but they are now only ~0.5 pounds or so.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    A 2013 just isn't in the budget, I put out emails to 6 more shops with in a 50 mile radius, so will see what happens.

Page 64 of 127 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 ... LastLast