Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,200 of 4641
    mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. You have joined an elite group of discerning mountain bikers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Official Specialized Camber Thread

Quote Originally Posted by muddy guy View Post
    Great photos on bucket. Welcome to camber country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    Fisheyed Camber...I am digging the color scheme.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys! Took those pics with my gopro
    11 Spec Camber Expert - Truvativ AKA Stem, RaceFace Ride Handlebars, Wolftooth NW chainring
    http://goprohero-reviews.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here it is! After a ride the other day one thing I've realized what I want is a better front tire for gripping corners at speed. I was thinking of a maxxis minion 2.5. Anyone here running one? Any other suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    2.2 Specialized Purgatory works for me. It's not too heavy, goes tubeless well and has side knobs for off camber routes. I don't know about Minions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks, do you think there's really much of an advantage to running a wider tire as opposed to a 2.2 or similar?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Can anybody tell me what brake pads I should put on my stock 2013 camber comp?

It has elixer 3r brakes (duh) but SRAM/Avid sells sintered metal and organic pads for that brake, and I don't know what originally came with the bike. I'm obviously a bit of a noob here, but my understanding is that you don't want to replace sintered metal with organic, or vice-versa. Is this correct?
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I replaced mine with metallic and didn't give a crap what came stock. Organics are lack luster in high heat situations (like pointing the bike down a long hill). Actually... the 3Rs are just lack luster all the way around.... after replacing the pads and riding for a few months, I dumped them for a set of brakes that could actually stop me while pointed down (Saint M820 front and SLX rear).
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by electricCAMEL View Post
    Thanks, do you think there's really much of an advantage to running a wider tire as opposed to a 2.2 or similar?
    I try to get an aggressive tread in a 2.2 or 2.3 size. But I start with tire weight. 2.4s are fun but the rotating weight is a buzz kill. LIGHT INEXPENSIVE DURABLE. Pick two. I choose light and durable. I never cheap out on tires or any bicycle components.
    My advice is do research and stay away from heavy tires.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post

It has elixer 3r brakes (duh) but SRAM/Avid sells sintered metal and organic pads for that brake, and I don't know what originally came with the bike. I'm obviously a bit of a noob here, but my understanding is that you don't want to replace sintered metal with organic, or vice-versa. Is this correct?
    My camber expert came with elixir 5s and organic pads
    11 Spec Camber Expert - Truvativ AKA Stem, RaceFace Ride Handlebars, Wolftooth NW chainring
    http://goprohero-reviews.com

mtbr member

I much prefer to use sintered pads in winter when its cold,wet and muddy as the sintered pads are harder and will last longer in gritty conditions and then change to organic when spring comes and the trails are generally cleaner.
    Organic do feel to have more power in clean conditions but they wear out too quickly for me in winter.
    Choosing between organic and sintered can depend on the kind of riding you do,the kind of surface you ride on,and rider weight too

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the responses, everybody. I'm getting the impression that switching from metal to organic IS NOT a bad/harmful thing to do to your bike?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses, everybody. I'm getting the impression that switching from metal to organic IS NOT a bad/harmful thing to do to your bike?
    I think the not switching between the different kinds of pads stems from bikes that had cheap discs (not stainless steel) and using the sintered pads would eat through the disc! ,ive got an Avid HS1 disc on the front,a Hope on the back and both work great with no signs of anything but the usual wear.

mtbr member
    if anyone rides mostly in the dry, i highly recommend the new slaughter tire

The Fastest of Bananas
    Have you tried the Butcher? Its super grippy

mtbr member
    yep butcher front tire on all my bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks, I'll check those out, the slaughter or the butcher look like they might be what I'm looking for... Are specialized's tires usually true to size? Ie. 2.3 is actually 2.3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss002 View Post
    I think the not switching between the different kinds of pads stems from bikes that had cheap discs (not stainless steel) and using the sintered pads would eat through the disc! ,ive got an Avid HS1 disc on the front,a Hope on the back and both work great with no signs of anything but the usual wear.
    Excellent. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So I am new to the Camber family. I have a 2015 Camber Evo Carbon on the way and need help with peoples thoughts for a fork. This starts with thinning out my bike collection. This one Camber is replacing a 2013 carbon Stumpjumper HT 1X11 and a 2014 S-Works Enduro. The reason for getting rid of the Enduro is I just don't use it the capacity it deserves. The reason I am getting rid of the HT is I have a 1X11 Fatboy which an awesome bike and has very similar geo and I have a 29er SS front susp that is also similar in ride type. So in my mind I am combining the HT and Enduro for an in between-er. So I have a 2014 RCT3 Pike that I can reduce travel to 120mm or I have a Rock Shox SID RCT3 WC Carbon crown and steer tube that I can up the travel to 120mm. I love both forks for their intended purpose, but on a 120mm Camber Evo which is the right way to go. I ride anything from smooth windy singletrack to faster downhill sections with the roots and rocks of NE. I will jump and drop every chance I can, 3-5 foot limits unless there is a good transfer. I am generally smooth and ride with finesse and I have rarely broken bike parts and only destroyed one wheel in 10 years. Oh yeah, I should mention this..... I am a weight weenie too! So from the rides that you guys have should I do 32mm or 35mm stanchion? That's what it comes down to because both dampers are good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is your target size? What size is the bike? How much of a weight weenie are you?

Scottie

mtbr member
    FYI- I have my 2013 Camber expert Carbon EVO for sale in the classifieds

2013 Specialized Camber Expert Carbon EVO 29er - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    What is your target size? What size is the bike? How much of a weight weenie are you?

Scottie
    Target size=weight? It is a Medium frame. I am a smart weight weenie, or so I think, I spend the money where necessary in order to have lightweight parts but still are durable, but not necessarily the lightest. In my mind I want the Camber to be lighter than the S-Works Enduro 29, but in reality most of the parts will come from the Enduro. I could us the Traverse SL wheels for durability instead of my Carbon Controls which are 80 grams lighter, but that's not that big of a deal, even though it is the rotating mass. I have a feeling the right thing for me to do is the Pike, but it is a pound more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here is what my build will be with the options next to each other

Frame: 2015 Camber Expert Carbon Evo w/aftermarket Monarch shock (Yellow/Green color that Hobo has pictured back a few pages of this thread)
    Fork: Pike RCT3 120mm or Rock Shox SID RCT3 WC Carbon crown and steer tube 120mm
    Wheels: Traverse SL Carbon wheelset or Roval Carbon Control Wheelset (tires are any combo of S-Works and Control Ground control, Purgatory, Butcher; all tubeless)
    Drive train: S-Works Cranks with Wolftooth 32t N/W ring, XX1 rear derailleur and cassette and shifter
    Brakes: Magura MT8
    Handlebar: Easton EC70 720mm wide or 35mm Carbon Haven 750mm with various stems to fit
    Seat Post: Command IR with SRL or Thomson Masterpiece ( I found that I just don't use the dropper that much)
    Seat: Specialized Henge Ti rail
    Bottom Bracket: CK or Wheels Manufacturing

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    From how you describe your riding style, I'd say to go with the Pike for the stiffness

mtbr member
    Thought I'd report back on my 1x10 setup results. Finally running the full configuration with the RaceFace NW 30T and OneUp Components 42T with 16T on the cassette. My XT DR is not compatible with the RAD cage from OneUp, so I had to go without it. Turns out, it works fine. It took me a bit to get things tuned, but now it is shifting as good as before the conversion.

Gearing in 1st isn't quite as low as before, but not terribly different. It will just make me stronger I suppose. Did my first ride today, wasn't feeling at my best, but overall the bike performed. Very happy with the results so far.

ben

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi,

I'm fresh to the thread and a long time lurker on here.

I recently bought a 2015 Camber Evo Expert with a view to using it for BC Bike Race, I have been doing a bit of a lightening effort on it and have now upgraded to light bicycle rims, hope hubs, tubeless, Thomson bars, absolute black chain ring (really nice) and xtr because I prefer shimano.

Any other bright ideas to get the weight down without spending too much as I am now almost tapped out.

It really is a lovely bike to ride.

Cheers,

Andy

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Bonking ... not feelin' well Chainstay cracked

Hey all,
    I just discovered a nasty crack in the chainstay just where it has a radius behind the crank.
    This is a 2014 Camber EVO size XL which was new in late november 2013 (2014 model). I've enjoyed riding 250km of trails all year with it without any problems other than straight maintenance.

Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_2894.jpg

I've seen what I thought was a paint scratch there before, didn't think much about it, but discovered this after yesterdays ride. Nothing dramatic, just standard rooty trails. However, everything is frozen solid here in Norway these days, so the suspension gets a fair beating.

Anybody know if this is something that Spesh will replace on warranty?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, they should. I have had a replacement chainstay. Cracked in a similar spot. But I guess it would partially depend on your lbs and the condition of your bike, meaning did you abuse it.

mtbr member
    Finally picked up my Camber from the shop having left it there more than 2 weeks ago for a little bit of an upgrade, Rock Shox Pike RCT3. Of course it is the middle of the week, the temps in the morning will be 4 deg f with a wind chill who knows how low and I have to go to work/school so I won't get a ride until Saturday...but I know it will be worth the wait. Upgraded from the Fox Evolution that came on the Camber Comp that I purchased and broke the frame on that was replaced under warranty with the Carbon Pro that I broke that was once again replaced with a Carbon Pro frame. I felt very lucky to get this frame twice. Now I need to get it out and "break" it again. Or not.

Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_2347.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_2351.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_2353_2.jpg
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    ...that I broke that was once again replaced with a Carbon Pro frame. I felt very lucky to get this frame twice. Now I need to get it out and "break" it again. Or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2347.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	953645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2351.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	953646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2353_2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	953647
    Could you elaborate a little on how you broke two frames and where were the failures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The first one I broke was a 2012 Camber Comp 29er M5 frame. This frame failed in two locations, chain stay, non-drive side on the inside facing the wheel mid way down the stay. Second fail, same frame was on the weld of the bottom bracket above the bottom bracket. I believe both fails were done at the same time since I never got to ride the bike with the rear triangle only being replaced (I did ride but there was a terrible creak that would not go away and that's when I found the crack near BB). This is when the frame was warrantied by Specialized (thank you very much) with a 2013 Camber Carbon Pro frame that I rode for all of 6 months when one day after riding a local trail (Franklin State Forest) I noticed a strange looking "crease" in the shape of a "V" beneath the seat post clamp dead center of the top of the top tube. I removed the seat post to find a crack in the seat post leading to the "V" shaped crease in the top tube. Once again Specialized warrantied and replaced the frame with a second 2013 Camber Carbon Pro Frame. I'm either fat, (170 lbs) or I just ride em like I want to break them. By the way, I'm 57 so...
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57 View Post
    The first one I broke was a 2012 Camber Comp 29er M5 frame. This frame failed in two locations, chain stay, non-drive side on the inside facing the wheel mid way down the stay. Second fail, same frame was on the weld of the bottom bracket above the bottom bracket. I believe both fails were done at the same time since I never got to ride the bike with the rear triangle only being replaced (I did ride but there was a terrible creak that would not go away and that's when I found the crack near BB). This is when the frame was warrantied by Specialized (thank you very much) with a 2013 Camber Carbon Pro frame that I rode for all of 6 months when one day after riding a local trail (Franklin State Forest) I noticed a strange looking "crease" in the shape of a "V" beneath the seat post clamp dead center of the top of the top tube. I removed the seat post to find a crack in the seat post leading to the "V" shaped crease in the top tube. Once again Specialized warrantied and replaced the frame with a second 2013 Camber Carbon Pro Frame. I'm either fat, (170 lbs) or I just ride em like I want to break them. By the way, I'm 57 so...
    sounds like you need a camber evo, or maybe even a stumpy haha

mtbr member
    anyone have any luck sourcing a db inline for the camber evo, I think it would be the perfect shock for the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just ordered my plastic pogo stick, the Lamborghini Orange EVO model, the other day. Pretty stoked about it, should be here March-ish. It'll be my first bike from the big S since a 1992 Stumpjumper Pro(bought new when I was 16.) Since then, I've ridden mostly retro-grouchy Bridgestones, Ritcheys, and Salsas with a not so retro(but still steel) Rocky Mountain Blizzard thrown in for good measure. For the last three years, my mountain bike has been a Salsa Fargo so this bike will allow me to spend more time riding and less time answering questions about the "weird" handlebars, and "is that a 'cross bike?"

I think this will be a cool all-day singletrack bike; also hope to do one or two 12 hour races on it this year if my schedule permits. The Fargo isn't going anywhere, except for some long-ass rides...haha, and will still see plenty of singletrack.

Kinda bummed the big S and other companies are starting to only offer XT/XO level parts on plastic frames, I would much rather have the 800 bucks to do other things with. Hope this thing holds up as well as my ferrous bikes have over the years.

I'm going to go ride the fattie now.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Get yourself some plastic fattie wheels to make the package complete...you won't regret it

mtbr member
    What is everyone using as a replacement FreeHub on their bikes? Mine is going to crap and I've been told they are known for this. Below is my post in the Driveline forum about it including a video of the issue.

Cassette freeplay/wiggle -- is this wrong -- video to demonstrate

ben

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Here's my new Evo Camber build 24.75 pounds

2015 Camber Evo Frame Med w/Rock Shox Monarch AutoSAG RT3 (I'm old and reliving the 80's with these colors... I love it!)
    2014 Rock Shox WC Carbon Crown SID RCT3 120mm (I am considering a 120mm pike as I have one, but it is a pound more)
    S-Works Cranks with Wolftooth N/W 32T Chain ring
    Sram XX1 Shifter, Derailleur, Cassette, Chain
    Specialized 142+ Traverse SL 29 Wheel (Option to go Control 29 Carbon wheels) tubeless with Control Butcher Front and Control Purg Rear (Summer option to S-works casing Purg front and ground control rear, save .5 lbs)
    Magura MT8 F (203) & R (180) Brakes
    East Haven 35mm 750mm wide bars (I Might go to the Easton EC70 720mm wide bars)
    Race Face 35mm Stem 70mm (60mm is an option, I need to ride it first)
    Thomson Masterpiece 30.9 seat post (again I have a Command post IR with SRL, but I just don't seem to use them, plus its a pound more)
    Specialized Enduro Locking Grips
    Specialized Henge Ti rail seat
    Crank Bros Candy 3 w/Ti spindle

Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_0234-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    I would go pike all day, but the only reason I ride is for downhill... no experience on the sid tho

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks. I knew most would say use Pike. Yeah, I've ridden the SID on my HT that just sold and like it a lot, but I know it's not the same, even for this bike. It's my inner weight weenie. I am having a hard time with that pound of weight. I own the pike already and have it for sale. If it doesn't sell this week, I will put in the 120mm travel air shaft, put it on the bike and see how it goes. I already have color coordinated decals for it too. NOPE! I don't have a problem. :-)

Actually for anyone who knows what they have on their bikes..... I believe the Camber is Spec'ed with a 46mm offset fork, my Pike is a 51mm offset, does anyone have specific negatives or positives about that change on this particular frame geo?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Just wanted to introduce myself to the Camber Crew. I am located in NC and just started MTB'ing in October. Fell in love with it and went from this:
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-20150113_110200_zpswobcmitp.jpg
    To This:
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-20150113_110106_zps6csrefmw.jpg
    I haven't had the chance to ride it other than up and down my street. Just got it yesterday and of course it's going to rain for the next couple days. However the bike is amazing like night and day from my rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VladConnery View Post
    Just wanted to introduce myself to the Camber Crew. I am located in NC and just started MTB'ing in October. Fell in love with it and went from this:

Name:	20150113_110200_zpswobcmitp.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	955193
    To This:

Name:	20150113_110106_zps6csrefmw.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	955194
    I haven't had the chance to ride it other than up and down my street. Just got it yesterday and of course it's going to rain for the next couple days. However the bike is amazing like night and day from my rockhopper.
    Rain...NO...it rained on day 1 of my new Camber purchase as well. I'm sure a lot will agree...that black and orange color scheme is REDICK! Hope you get a chance to get out an ride it soon! Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Has anyone stripped their 2014 or 2015 carbon Camber frame? I'd be very interested to know the weight of the frame only (with shock). And not the S-Works, the regular carbon one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by siim_s View Post
    Has anyone stripped their 2014 or 2015 carbon Camber frame? I'd be very interested to know the weight of the frame only (with shock). And not the S-Works, the regular carbon one.
    I should have weighed mine out of the box, but I just built it. I always get so fixated on the build I forget to weigh parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hi

I looking at buying a 2013 Camber Carbon and wondered what size people are riding? I'm 5'11 which sits just at the end of medium and beginning of large?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayhigh View Post
    Hi

I looking at buying a 2013 Camber Carbon and wondered what size people are riding? I'm 5'11 which sits just at the end of medium and beginning of large?

Thanks
    I'm 6' even and like the fit of my Large.
    I use a 90mm stem and have the top of my seat 10" above the seatpost clamp.
    Seems like it would work for someone 5'11", perhaps with a slightly shorter stem and seat lowered a bit (depending on leg, torso and arm lengths).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am 5'11". I have a 14 Comp Carbon. I ride a Large. fits like a glove. Stock 90mm stem is the perfect size. Here's mine----plenty of seat post up. Large is the size.Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_0837.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0832.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0834.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by homegrown7 View Post
    I am 5'11". I have a 14 Comp Carbon. I ride a Large. fits like a glove. Stock 90mm stem is the perfect size. Here's mine----plenty of seat post up. Large is the size.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	955708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	955709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	955710
    Nice looking bike! I like the few red accents!
    What kind of wheels and lacing is that? Maybe it's just the picture, but the lacing looks weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 5'10 1/2 and I ride a medium. But, admittingly, I prefer my bikes to be slightly smaller. A buddy has a large evo and it feels huge to me.

SM

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Its an set of Industry Nine wheels with NoTubes ZTR355s with stickers removed. Its a few years old. Set weighs 1580g and is STIFF given the thick aluminum straight-pull spokes. LOVE them...! When they eventually go, I'll buy their latest and greatest..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayhigh View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    I'm 5'11.5" and went with a large. With the seat all the way down the standover height is perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cool, thanks for the advice guys

I'm going to see if my lbs can get a medium and large in to check. I know its a newer model but it should give me a good enough idea.

Members who have read this thread: 384