mtbr member

Official Specialized Camber Thread

Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    I'll take it.
    It's a trap, it won't fit!
    Sell it to me! ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    Great build! Is that frame a size Large? How tall are you?

Thanks!
    Thanks man. Its a size large im about 5'11

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Hero View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	945151
    ......damn, that's a great color combo!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Mine is also 27lbs with similar spec. By the time you put real tires on them they're only a pound and a half off an E29".

What I want is an Epic with Camber Evo geometry, without the Brain, a Charger damped Reba, real tires and 25ish lbs. It might need a 170lb rider weight limit but I'm getting tired of overweight trail bikes.

Apologies for the negative comments regarding your new bike. It's still the best trail bike on the market.
    FYI, for all the weight weenies out there (of which I am quickly becoming one of) my bike dropped a about 13oz by going from a dropper to a stock Specialized aluminum seat post. Mine now sits at 25.83lbs with 770mm bars, 2.3s front and rear and a water bottle holder. The pike is about 3/4lbs heavier than a reba, so that is pretty close to the difference between the carbon and aluminum frames. So, I think that 25lbs-ish could be attained with some lighter bars, seat, etc.

Scottie

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    anything under 26# on a Camber 29er is VERY respectable! congrats!

mtbr member
    yeah for me i'm not willing to loose the dropper at all, not worried too much about weight 27 pounds is still the lightest bike I have ever owned

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    All good, I was just passing on what I've learned with this thing. I agree, not really sure there is much difference between a high 25lbs bike and a low 27 one other than the old placebo effect.

SM

mtbr member
    forsure, its definitely a preference thing!

also wanted to let people know that the 2015 evo expert frame in size large on the dealer site shows sold out in both colors, with no estimated time for a restock. place your order now if your on the fence and aren't a size large. Not sure if they are doing another run this year, but typically they would have an arrival date.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homegrown7 View Post

......damn, that's a great color combo!!
    Yep!
    Soon as I seen it, I knew I had to grab one. Best color combo and paint scheme ever done by specialized. (in my opinion)
    Time is an illusion,
    Rising from time,
    Steep is the mountain which we climb.

Monster FTW

Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    FYI, for all the weight weenies out there (of which I am quickly becoming one of) my bike dropped a about 13oz by going from a dropper to a stock Specialized aluminum seat post. Mine now sits at 25.83lbs with 770mm bars, 2.3s front and rear and a water bottle holder. The pike is about 3/4lbs heavier than a reba, so that is pretty close to the difference between the carbon and aluminum frames. So, I think that 25lbs-ish could be attained with some lighter bars, seat, etc.

Scottie
    Thomson Masterpiece works very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Hero View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	945151
    That Black and Orange is SLICK!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When I bought mine, I was buying it for the geo and the features, I wasn't all that impressed with the orange color. But, IMO, it looks MUCH better in person than on the site. Having said that, I REALLY like that black and blue scheme. Looks great!

SM

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well here is my 2013 Camber Comp after my first MTB ride!(cleaned everything but the wheels). It weighs 29.6lbs as it sit with light and tube, setup tubeless. After my planned carbon bits arrive, and switching over to a 1x10 setup, I think I can get this down to 26lbs before switching over to a lighter wheelset...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    take... say, 1 pound off that 29.6 by losing the tube and light and you're at 28.6lb. handlebar and stem may net you ~100g max and seat post another ~100g max. that's 200g + another ~360g for the 1X conversion = 560g. That is 1.25lb 28.6-1.25= 27.4 lb.

check out my post 2 pages back on this thread for weight references on my build.

you'll need to swap the cassette for an XTR, grab some ESI grips and a $20 lightweight seat post clamp and you should see a 26 on the scale... ---get your wheelset and you'll see a 25. THAT YELLOW--BLACK LOOKS GREAT!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does Spesh have some new colors? I was on the site yesterday and they have a neon yellow Comp Evo that I have never noticed before. It is REALLY bright, lol.

CHanceG, that black and yellow looks great together.

SM

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by homegrown7 View Post
    take... say, 1 pound off that 29.6 by losing the tube and light and you're at 28.6lb. handlebar and stem may net you ~100g max and seat post another ~100g max. that's 200g + another ~360g for the 1X conversion = 560g. That is 1.25lb 28.6-1.25= 27.4 lb.

check out my post 2 pages back on this thread for weight references on my build.

you'll need to swap the cassette for an XTR, grab some ESI grips and a $20 lightweight seat post clamp and you should see a 26 on the scale... ---get your wheelset and you'll see a 25. THAT YELLOW--BLACK LOOKS GREAT!!!!!
    Yeah I checked that out. I already have a xx 11/36 and xx crankset and a light seat clamp. Not gonna change anything until to weather gets nasty again and start getting too cold for me to ride. Thanks for the advise!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks fellas!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Does anyone know who has or what is the lightest Camber with an all aluminum frame set?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Are you talking about off the self or build?

The one my buddy built is a 2014 camber evo aluminum, ice tech rotors, xt breaks, xt pedals, xx1 crank, wolfs tooth 28t, roval carbon controls (not the sl's) with pergatory 2.3s front and rear. It ended up tipping the scales at 26.6-26.8 depending on if you had the swat multi tool on the bottle cage or not. It also had ergon grips which are a little on the heavy side. There is still room to drop a few grams here and there. For an aluminum 120mm bike, I didn't think that weight was bad at all.

SM

mtbr member
    Mine is a 2012 Camber Comp. I'm pretty new to working on it myself. Installed a Race Face 30T Narrow Wide today. Took much longer than it should have since I didn't have a Pin Wrench, had to wait for the bike shop to open, they didn't have one in stock for sale. I have a couple of points that might save someone else a butt load of time.

Remember this is the S-1250 crank. That dust cover on the drive side does not need to be removed. You'll just need a 10mm hex socket on an impact wrench. It will self-extract the crank arm as it loosens with dust cap in place.

Next point is the screws that hold on the 22T Chainring will work on the 30T replacement sprocket. No need to buy extras from the bike shop (which I will now return).

In hindsight, such a simple upgrade that took me far too long to complete. But, on the brightside I didn't muck anything up in the process, so that is good.

Now waiting on the One Up 42T for the cassette to arrive.

Can't say that removing all of the unnecessary parts is going to save a ton of weight, but every gram probably counts.

ben

Does NOT know it all!
    I want to say a big Thank You to Scottie Mac for selling me his Command Post. He's a great guy to deal with and I'm giving him some reputation points for this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Glad you got it Frank! Thanks.

Scottie

Monster FTW

Cleaned, installed 40t+16t, new pics.

mtbr member

OneUp 40t+16t

Looking good, Jason!
    How's the shifting onto the 40t? Did you have to max out the B-screw? Do you foresee a need to replace the stock RD cage with the OneUp RAD cage to relocate the upper pulley?

Also, do you notice the larger 3-tooth jumps (13-16-19) compared to the stock 2-tooth gaps (13-15-17-19) in this region of the stock system?

Monster FTW

I did not max out the b screw, but it's getting pretty close. I did the 40t not the 42t, so the rad cage isn't needed. It works really well on the stand, but I haven't gotten proper trail time on it yet.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Looking good, Jason!
    How's the shifting onto the 40t? Did you have to max out the B-screw? Do you foresee a need to replace the stock RD cage with the OneUp RAD cage to relocate the upper pulley?

Also, do you notice the larger 3-tooth jumps (13-16-19) compared to the stock 2-tooth gaps (13-15-17-19) in this region of the stock system?
    IMO with the 40t cog, the RAD cage is needed, and I do have trail time with and without. I have also worked on a customer bike without the rad cage with a 42t. It will only shift "ok" without the rad cage, for it to work as good as a normal setup, it needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Mine is a 2012 Camber Comp. I'm pretty new to working on it myself. Installed a Race Face 30T Narrow Wide today. Took much longer than it should have since I didn't have a Pin Wrench, had to wait for the bike shop to open, they didn't have one in stock for sale. I have a couple of points that might save someone else a butt load of time.

Remember this is the S-1250 crank. That dust cover on the drive side does not need to be removed. You'll just need a 10mm hex socket on an impact wrench. It will self-extract the crank arm as it loosens with dust cap in place.

Next point is the screws that hold on the 22T Chainring will work on the 30T replacement sprocket. No need to buy extras from the bike shop (which I will now return).

In hindsight, such a simple upgrade that took me far too long to complete. But, on the brightside I didn't muck anything up in the process, so that is good.

Now waiting on the One Up 42T for the cassette to arrive.

Can't say that removing all of the unnecessary parts is going to save a ton of weight, but every gram probably counts.

ben
    Did you really need an impact wrench to remove the crank?

Monster FTW
    you are correct FastBanana, I read up and the RAD cage does help even with the 40t. I'll order it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Did you really need an impact wrench to remove the crank?
    Yes, a wrench alone it wasn't budging. I was afraid to use the impact wrench, but read online where someone else did it without issue.

Are you sure that the RAD cage is needed. That is the first I've read someone say that.

ben

mtbr member

Yes, a wrench alone it wasn't budging. I was afraid to use the impact wrench, but read online where someone else did it without issue.

Are you sure that the RAD cage is needed. That is the first I've read someone say that.

ben
    My 2013 Comp came with SRAM X9 RD, I'm assuming your 2012 too?. RAD cage is only for Shimano RDs.

The Fastest of Bananas

ben
    Yes Im sure. Im my opinion, unless it shifts perfect, its not good enough. Why would you not spend 50 bucks to make it right?

mtbr member
    Yes Im sure. Im my opinion, unless it shifts perfect, its not good enough. Why would you not spend 50 bucks to make it right?
    Well, at this point I'll try it first and see what happens. I'm kinda disappointed so far with how quickly One Up processes orders. Had I known, I probably would have ordered it with the 42T.

Also, mine is a Shimano RD, medium GS cage. But, it doesn't not have a clutch, so I was also confused thinking that the RAD was only intended for RD's with a clutch.

ben

mtbr member
    On another note...My bike came with the fork listed below. Which Fox fork is this when referencing it in their maintenance manuals? 32, 34, etc. And what can be done to it to improve handling. I've never really been very happy with its performance. Seems there really isn't a way to tune compression dampening except with the lock out ring. I've played with various pressures. Now playing with rebound settings.

Fox Float Evolution RL 29, open bath damper, tapered steerer, LO and reb adj., standard drop-outs, 110mm travel

ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anyone running a PIKE with 51mm offset on the camber? Need to decide soon with which offset I'll buy one. Found a place where you can have them directly as 120mm or 130mm with 51mm offset! The OEM's are 46mm, right?

mtbr member
    Not running one yet but I did order one through my local shop. Awaiting arrival. I was assured it would be here in time for Christmas and that the 51mm offset 120mm travel was the model I needed on my Camber.
    2016 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Monster FTW

I have a 46mm pike on mine. The factory Evo has a 46mm.

mtbr member
    Got my 1x10 set up done. Rode earlier in the week with the 30T chainring and stock cassette. Only missed having the granny gear in a few places.

Today I put on the 42T along with the 16T on the cassette. Had to spend a lot of time tuning the RD. Discovered I routed the chain wrong. After that was fixed I got it to where it would shift up very cleanly, but it isn't shifting down very well. Especially from the 32T to the 28T for some reason -- takes two tries on the lever sometimes to drop.

I need to check my chain length as it may be too short, but from all of the posts I've read I don't really think that is the issue. Stock was 22/36T with 11-36T cassette. Now 30T with 11-42T. Can't imagine that the chain is too short.

ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It sounds like you might have too much tension on the cable. If anything, I tend to have slightly lower tension than higher tension - you can always overshift a bit going up, but going down it shifts to the same index every time.

But if I'm having issues with my RD that I can't easily sort, I go back to beginning:

• Undo the shift cable
    • Check cables for friction, if they're contaminated, install new cable & housing
    • Check the high limit screw
    • Check the low limit screw
    • Check the b-tension screw
    • Tighten any barrel adjusters most of the way in
    • Make sure your shifter is all the way in the highest/hardest gear (smallest cog)
    • Reattach cable
    • Shift one gear lower (up the cassette)
    • Use barrel adjusters to take up any slack to get the chain to shift to the next cog. If needed, tighten a bit more so that the up-shifts are clean
    • make sure the down shifts are still good
    • Go ride & use barrel adjuster to take out any slack that appears as you ride

Let me know if that helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    It sounds like you might have too much tension on the cable. If anything, I tend to have slightly lower tension than higher tension - you can always overshift a bit going up, but going down it shifts to the same index every time.

But if I'm having issues with my RD that I can't easily sort, I go back to beginning:

• Undo the shift cable
    • Check cables for friction, if they're contaminated, install new cable & housing
    • Check the high limit screw
    • Check the low limit screw
    • Check the b-tension screw
    • Tighten any barrel adjusters most of the way in
    • Make sure your shifter is all the way in the highest/hardest gear (smallest cog)
    • Reattach cable
    • Shift one gear lower (up the cassette)
    • Use barrel adjusters to take up any slack to get the chain to shift to the next cog. If needed, tighten a bit more so that the up-shifts are clean
    • make sure the down shifts are still good
    • Go ride & use barrel adjuster to take out any slack that appears as you ride

Let me know if that helps!
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. About the only thing I have left to try from your list is to loosen the clamp on the cable and not pull it so much before I tighten it. Barrel nut is at the lever and is turned full loose. Easy enough to play with even on the trail though.

ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. About the only thing I have left to try from your list is to loosen the clamp on the cable and not pull it so much before I tighten it. Barrel nut is at the lever and is turned full loose. Easy enough to play with even on the trail though.

ben
    I used to do the same thing - pulling the cable as tight as I humanly could. Figuring out that I could just pull it "hand tight" and take up the rest of the slack with the barrel adjusters actually made it easier and quicker to set up - with better results.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hey Guys,

Looking for a set of Carbon wheels for my Camber Evo Expert. Bike is stock right now (except XT Brakes), really enjoying it! Ride quite a bit of XC/Trail with my girlfriend who is going pretty well, have done a few XC races this year for fun, I'm a roadie as well so wanted to see how that translated to XC! I mainly ride rooty rocky mountain trail stuff, nothing too gnarly, but also do quite a few trips to AZ (Sedona/Phoenix) & Moab Utah every year, and planning some trips to the coast of BC this year.

I was pretty happy with the Camber Evo doing some sport level XC races, and am planning to do a few more (maybe max of 5) this summer in the sport category. I've looked at getting a dedicated XC bike like an Epic, but for now I think I want to stick to the Camber as a one trick pony until I really decide how into XC I am. I'm also interested in dabbling in some of the BC enduro series stuff this summer in the Kootenay region.

So for this year I've kinda decided instead of jumping into a bigger 6" bike or a 4" bike I'll keep riding the Camber Evo, which I'm finding is really suiting me, I love long climbs, steep aggressive climbs, ripping through AZ desert flowy single track, but also bombing (as much as I can on 120mm) Moab rocky descents or rooty, tight descents.

So I'm thinking to satiate my bike buying desires I'll 'race' up the Camber Evo a bit for 1 more season of experimenting. I'm 160 pounds.

I'm looking at the Roval Carbon Control SL 142+ 29ers. They sound pretty good, really light, being XC wheels... But I'm a bit nervous about taking them on some fast rocky descents, in say the Moab area. But I'm not much of a big air guy, just a few foot rock drops at the most. Are these pretty good all round trail wheels or pretty much XC? I see they are specced on the 2015 Stumpjumper FSR S-Works which is definitely a trail bike...

Roval Fatties Carbon SL 142+ 29ers. I've just a bit hesitant on these as they seem a bit more burly than what I might need. $1500 price is definitely helping to keep them on the list.

The new IBIS 928 Carbons have also caught my eye @ $1300, haven't been able to find any ride reports on them though & not sure about their hubs.

What do you guys think? I know quite a few guys have gone with the Roval Carbon Controls, just wanted an opinion on their 'trail worthiness'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I now have two pairs of Roval carbon wheels: the Control Carbon 29 and the Traverse FATTIE 650b. If I get a camber this spring (which I plan to), I will be selling the Control 29ers to get a pair of the Traverse Fat 29ers (or actually might keep them for my CX wheels).

I didn't buy any of these because they were light. OK, well that's part of it, but they are much more than that. Compared to similar aluminum wheels they are lighter, stronger, stiffer, and tougher. I've also been hugely impressed by the Fattie rims. The extra internal width allows me to run significantly (4-5psi) lower pressure compared to even the regular Roval Carbon wheels. This translates to more confidence and control on the trail. And when I was experimenting with pressure, the tires became too soft before they burped (I've NEVER managed to burp them).

I don't think you could go wrong with either wheelset, but if you're going to be XC/Trail riding with some races thrown in, I would get the Fatties hands down. If racing will be your priority, the SL's drop weight and are still trail worthy (but not Enduro). As far as I know, the rims between the SL and the Control 29ers is the same, the weight difference comes from fewer spokes and lighter hubs (which has far less of an effect).

As for the IBIS: I've heard good things about the rims, and so-so things about the hubs. (vs the Rovals which are DT Swiss - solid and easily rebuildable)

On a side note: I have an Epic - and I'm planning to sell it in the spring to buy a Camber Evo frame. I'm going to build it up as a light weight, fast, trail, 29er that I'll have no reservations racing. And I'm planning to run Fattie wheels.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have been riding Roval SL 142+, 2012 model for two years. With any carbon wheelset on Rocky fast downhill trails you can't afford to ding the rim. I broke my first rear wheel on the very first ride, stock tire that came with my epic S works, a renegade 1.95. Had to replace the wheel. Went to a knobby Nick 2.35 and have never had trouble. Very rocky where I ride. So it depends on the tires you use and how much air you put in. Understand, having said that, I ride under 20 pounds PSI with sealant but the tire is a bigger volume tire and this works fine. Never had another ding.
    By the way this ultralight wheel set increased my riding enjoyment immeasurably. Nothing else, even suspension, made such a big improvement for me. In my opinion this wheel set was worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. Went in to a shop today & they had a set of Roval Fattie Carbon Sl's on a bike in the showroom (that also happened to match the Evo), hummed & hawed about it for a bit but decided to go for it. Took them out for a spin, definitely enjoying them! Bike feels pretty sharp & precise, but had a bit of time off the bike so hard to remember exactly what it felt like before, but hey $1500 for wheels is cheaper then another bike right?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That is an absolutely stunning camber, beautiful! Those wheels suits it very well. Makes me wanna ride, but "winter is coming", actually its already here

Here's mine. Got a N/W chainring waiting on the shelf but haven't got a beefier fork yet. The Reba is quite good also. Still hunting for that Evo link. LBS was not sure which part it is in their catalogue/system, they had an idea but were not certain.

Changes from stock:
    - Roval Carbons
    - SLX brakes with Ice-tech rotors
    - 120mm Reba
    - RF Turbine stem
    - Rotor SP1 seatpost
    - WTB Devo Carbon saddle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-camber.jpg  

mtbr member
    My new (to me) 2011 Camber Expert!!!

muddy guy
    Jan 2011
    Great photos on bucket. Welcome to camber country.

mtbr member
    Fisheyed Camber...I am digging the color scheme.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Snowtime.... fatboy time..... but we love the camber so much he is close with us for Chrismas and new year..... See you on trails next year Camber boys and girls

Official Specialized Camber Thread-dscn3108-x2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hey guys! New to the forums as well as the Camber game! Just purchased a used 2014 camber. Been sifting through the pages here and see some really great stuff. Took her on her maiden voyage today (still able to here in AZ) and it was great. Looking forward to getting advice/ideas/etc from this forum in the future!