Page 62 of 88 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 4376
    JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    People are saying the Pike/Charger has better damping and lower stiction than the new 36 so that should tell you something. Regardless I would discount the 32 due to the crown flex alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Fox 36 sits higher in its travel, and is a little racier than the Pike. Both are great forks. For most riders, the Pike will be the better choice, IMO.

Fox 36 is a complete redesign, Fox 34 and Fox 32 are still the old design. I'd expect 34 and 32 to be updated soon.

Based on aftermarket pricing and the service intervals they want, currently no Fox gets on my bikes except OEM.

Even if you're looking for a light XC setup, with only ~150g difference I would go for the Pike any day. You will notice the flex of the 32 compared to the Pike. The Pike also sits higher in its travel and has better compliance and better traction. Based on my experience, there's no department in which the Fox 32 matches the Pike.

If you're a weight weenie (that's ok) and the Pike feels like too much fork for your particular setup, I'd suggest getting a Rockshox SID.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone ever experience a plastic on plastic crackling sound coming from the crank/bb area when you pedal hard? I'm on a '14 Carbon Expert stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Fox 36 is a complete redesign, Fox 34 and Fox 32 are still the old design. I'd expect 34 and 32 to be updated soon.
    Even if you're looking for a light XC setup, with only ~150g difference I would go for the Pike any day. You will notice the flex of the 32 compared to the Pike. The Pike also sits higher in its travel and has better compliance and better traction. Based on my experience, there's no department in which the Fox 32 matches the Pike.

If you're a weight weenie (that's ok) and the Pike feels like too much fork for your particular setup, I'd suggest getting a Rockshox SID.
    Thanks for the reply! I am trying to keep the weight down but I hadn't really considered the SID. Is it stiff enough to handle 120mm as a 29er? How does it compare to the Fox?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The SID is a little stiffer and firmer than the Fox. The Fox is slightly plusher. My experience is based on a SID with Brain and a Fox 32 (Factory, no Terralogic) however, so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Reba RLT (old) 120mm 29": 1662g 9mmQR

SID World Cup (old) 120mm 29": 1440g 9mmQR
    https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/sid-world-cup

SID RCT3 (New) 120mm 29": 1588g 15mm Maxel

PIKE RCT3 120mm 29": 1876g 15mm Maxel

mtbr member
    200grams diff from old Reba to Pike.

mtbr member
    400grams diff from old SID to PIKE

mtbr member
    300grams diff from New SID RCT3 to PIKE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I am trying to keep the weight down but I hadn't really considered the SID. Is it stiff enough to handle 120mm as a 29er? How does it compare to the Fox?
    I had a 100mm travel SID 32mm fork with a 9mm QR axle on my Epic and found it to be a noodle, so flexy that it was scary on steep technical terrain. Replaced it with a 120mm travel Manitou Tower Pro with a 15mm thru-axle and all was good. Not sure whether the major factor was the different fork or the larger axle, but I'll never use a 9mm QR front axle again.

I have the Factory Fox Float, 32mm with 15mm axle, on my Camber and it seems fine so far. I wouldn't stress over a few grams in such an important suspension component - get the fork that suits your riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    300grams diff from New SID RCT3 to PIKE
    Because... MATHS!

Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    I wouldn't stress over a few grams in such an important suspension component - get the fork that suits your riding style.
    That's exactly why I wrote the SID off originally - but I haven't ridden one in years so was curious when it was suggested.

I think the Pike is more than I need for this bike (thats why I have my 27.5 AM rig). Everything being equal, I could probably just toss a coin between the two. But with the Pike being a couple of hundred more expensive for me I'll probably go with the Fox and upgrade to a carbon handlebar (or cranks).

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member

Progress on my camber evo, didnt realize the picture was so off, will get a better one when my cranks come in ans complete the bike this week hopefully

Monster FTW

Official Specialized Camber Thread

New pics with the Monarch and new post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey new to the forum as well mtb'ing. But I'm picking up a 2013 Camber Comp tomorrow and have a couple of questions. I was set on building a new carbon setup but came across this deal, and said maybe before I go all out like I did on my TarmacPro, I should make sure I like mtb'ing before going overboard, lol.

I would like a lighter setup, I already have order: carbon handlebar, carbon seatpost, and have an extra carbon stem already.

I would like to do a full 1x11 setup, but have been reading about a similar 1x11speed ratios, going 1x10 30t front with 11/36+ adding the OneUp 42t conversion. Has anyone done this with the Camber Comp, keeping the stock X9 rear derailleur and shifter????

PS...there are some really nice bikes in here!!

Chance

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceG View Post
    Hey new to the forum as well mtb'ing. But I'm picking up a 2013 Camber Comp tomorrow and have a couple of questions. I was set on building a new carbon setup but came across this deal, and said maybe before I go all out like I did on my TarmacPro, I should make sure I like mtb'ing before going overboard, lol.

I would like a lighter setup, I already have order: carbon handlebar, carbon seatpost, and have an extra carbon stem already.

I would like to do a full 1x11 setup, but have been reading about a similar 1x11speed ratios, going 1x10 30t front with 11/36+ adding the OneUp 42t conversion. Has anyone done this with the Camber Comp, keeping the stock X9 rear derailleur and shifter????

Chance
    Here's my Camber Comp with stock crank and X9 RD conversion to 1x10. 36t Raceface NW + Wolftooth 42t. Been on this setup for ~6 months. Shifts great. Official Specialized Camber Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417668652.638079.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fefillo View Post
    Here's my Camber Comp with stock crank and X9 RD conversion to 1x10. 36t Raceface NW + Wolftooth 42t. Been on this setup for ~6 months. Shifts great. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417668652.638079.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	943820
    That looks like a nice setup! Exactly as I would want but with a 30t instead of the 36t. Was the install straight forward?

mtbr member

That looks like a nice setup! Exactly as I would want but with a 30t instead of the 36t. Was the install straight forward?
    Pretty much. I think the hardest part was getting the chain rings off the original crank. Those bolts were really tight! After that, biggest challenge was adjusting the derailleur so that it shifts smoothly through the whole range. B tension screw adjust did the job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Chance
    Chance, I highly recommend Wolftooth. They're only $20 more than OneUp and are MADE IN THE USA!! ......and they come in more color options too... I just converted my Camber (front chainring only-left my cassette stock--flat where I live...) and lost 372 grams by doing so!!! I love it.

I'd suggest to leave the bike as-is with what you've done for now and ride it for a bit and if you fall in love with dirt, don't piddle with any other small component upgrades, save and go STRAIGHT for lighter wheel set. It will make a BIG difference above anything else. I upgraded my stock wheels on my '14 Camber Comp Carbon (2030g) to a set of I9s (1580g) and dropped 450g. Thas's a full pound!! and the bike accelerates like lightning as a result now...

mtbr member

Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread

Just chiming in to echo/reinforce what home grown said. Buying a good wheel set will go further then any other upgrade to improve performance. I put a pair of Mavic SLR with some tubeless GT S-works and saw a noticeable difference. I've seen a few places were you can get the old chrome and black set like mine and half price since the new models has came out. I think the new ones a bit wider but I'm still running 2.3" tire without a problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by homegrown7 View Post
    Chance, I highly recommend Wolftooth. They're only $20 more than OneUp and are MADE IN THE USA!! ......and they come in more color options too... I just converted my Camber (front chainring only-left my cassette stock--flat where I live...) and lost 372 grams by doing so!!! I love it.

I'd suggest to leave the bike as-is with what you've done for now and ride it for a bit and if you fall in love with dirt, don't piddle with any other small component upgrades, save and go STRAIGHT for lighter wheel set. It will make a BIG difference above anything else. I upgraded my stock wheels on my '14 Camber Comp Carbon (2030g) to a set of I9s (1580g) and dropped 450g. Thas's a full pound!! and the bike accelerates like lightning as a result now...
    Homegrown, I'm glad you posted this... I've been giving a lot of thought about upgrading my wheelset recently!

Your Carbon Comp still had the regular aluminum Roval wheels, right? Control Trail (non carbon)?

Monster FTW
    my '14 Camber Comp Carbon came with the regular aluminum Roval Control Trail
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty trails View Post
    just chiming in to echo/reinforce what home grown said. Buying a good wheel set will go further then any other upgrade to improve performance. I put a pair of mavic slr with some tubeless gt s-works and saw a noticeable difference. I've seen a few places were you can get the old chrome and black set like mine and half price since the new models has came out. I think the new ones a bit wider but i'm still running 2.3" tire without a problem.

Sent from my sm-n910v using tapatalk
    sharp wheels!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Your Carbon Comp still had the regular aluminum Roval wheels, right? Control Trail (non carbon)?
    .....our stock wheel set is not a Roval wheelset by any means... They are Specialized wheelsets with Roval rims, NOT the Roval Control, Control Trail wheel sets... The Roval Control/Control Trails are UPGRADE wheel sets. Our stock wheel sets weigh 2,030 grams and are HEAVY, HEAVY.. The Roval Control (aluminum) upgrade wheel sets weigh 1,550-1,680g depending on year model. The Carbon's are even lighter!! (1,370g). However, the value is the 2015 Roval Control 29 wheelset--$600 and 1,550g. Buy those and you are taking a little over 1lb out of the wheels!! <<best bang for the buck!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Smile Finished Project !!!

I've finished up my 2014 Camber Comp Carbon and wanted to show it off a bit and tell what I've done...

Size Large bone stock 28.3lb.
    Modified finished weight 25.5lb.

Upgrades:

FastTrak 2.2 rear tire -30g
    Tubeless conversion -50g
    Industry Nine Stan's Crest wheel set -450g
    XTR 11-36 cassette -125g
    removed pie plate/dangler/trim seatpost -80g
    seat post clamp -45g
    1x conversion -372g
    ESI Chunky grips -45g
    Magura SL 18mm rotors -46g
    Shimano to SRAM -60g
    added: Zee cage +45g

TOTAL REMOVED: 1,260g or 2.8lb.Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_0832.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0834.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0783.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0829.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0835.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_0837.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cassette $180 Jenson USA
    pie plate/trim seatpost/remove dangler $0
    Fastrak 2.2 and tubeless conversion $0 (no cost upgrade from shop at purchase)
    seat collar $19 Jenson USA
    Magura Rotors $64 Jenson USA
    ESI Chunky grips $15 Jenson USA
    1x conversion $68 wolftoothcycling.com
    Shimano to SRAM $0-$20 ebay purchase then sell..
    Industry Nine wheel set $380 ebay used
    Industry Nine 142mm rear axle $70 industrynine.net

TOTAL $$ to drop almost 3 pounds... $816.00

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by homegrown7 View Post
    I've finished up my 2014 Camber Comp Carbon and wanted to show it off a bit and tell what I've done...

Size Large bone stock 28.3lb.
    Modified finished weight 25.5lb.

Upgrades:

FastTrak 2.2 rear tire -30g
    Tubeless conversion -50g
    Industry Nine Stan's Crest wheel set -450g
    XTR 11-36 cassette -125g
    removed pie plate/dangler/trim seatpost -80g
    seat post clamp -45g
    1x conversion -372g
    ESI Chunky grips -45g
    Magura SL 18mm rotors -46g
    Shimano to SRAM -60g
    added: Zee cage +45g

TOTAL REMOVED: 1,260g or 2.8lb.
    That's a great looking bike and I bet it rides awesome too.

I too swapped my rear tire from 2.1 GC to a 2.2 FT and haven't been missing any traction.

One question... Zee cage on your X-9? Can you elaborate? Or are you talking about your water bottle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    One question... Zee cage on your X-9? Can you elaborate? Or are you talking about your water bottle?
    The Zee cage is just the Specialized bottle cage..

I swapped from the Shimano SLX shifters and XT rear der to SRAM X7 shift and X9 rear der to shave 60grams, plus I'm a SRAM guy...

Yep, the Fastrak 2.2 rolls faster and is lighter and I've lost no traction that I can feel...

mtbr member
    I've decided to sell my '13 camber comp and im going with a yeti sb95, the camber is a great bike, I just wanted something a little more aggressive, I was going back and forth on new wheels and fork for the spec, but for the cost I was almost at the price of the yeti.

I'm pretty sure I should at least get 1000 bucks for the camber, I have it completely stock now.
    2016 Scott Scale 710 Plus
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Chance
    In regards to the 1x setup. I took Fefillo's advice on the RaceFace NW and WolfTooth 42t. Pretty slick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    nice

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg

Medium Expert Carbon Evo. Was right around 26.25 all stock. Added roval carbons, purgatories from and rear, tubeless, xt pedals and took off all the misc. stuff I didn't need. Also changed bars to a slightly lighter riser pair. New weight 25.67. Thinking about dropping the dropper post, I just don't use it much. Most of the times I forget, lol. I think without the dropper and some slightly lighter rubber, I could get it in the high 24s. Love the bike. REALLY love the pike. I went from a high 23lbs epic carbon to this. The epic still climbs better, but I was expecting it to. Everywhere else, this thing better suits my riding and is a heck of a lot more comfortable, especially on longer rides.

Would highly recommend the evo. Really awesome ride.

Scottie

mtbr member
    Very nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	944635

Medium Expert Carbon Evo. Was right around 26.25 all stock. Added roval carbons, purgatories from and rear, tubeless, xt pedals and took off all the misc. stuff I didn't need. Also changed bars to a slightly lighter riser pair. New weight 25.67. Thinking about dropping the dropper post, I just don't use it much. Most of the times I forget, lol. I think without the dropper and some slightly lighter rubber, I could get it in the high 24s. Love the bike. REALLY love the pike. I went from a high 23lbs epic carbon to this. The epic still climbs better, but I was expecting it to. Everywhere else, this thing better suits my riding and is a heck of a lot more comfortable, especially on longer rides.

Would highly recommend the evo. Really awesome ride.

Scottie
    Ride like you stole it!

2015 Camber Carbon Expert EVO
    2015 Roubaix Sport
    2014 Camber Comp

mtbr member
    Camber evo expert frame finished

The scale at my shop said 27 pounds but I think its off, considering stock is like 26.5

Xtr brakes x01 drivetrain next sl cranks deity carbon bars and 50mm stem, hope pro 2s to wtb i23, titanium railed henge etc

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	944635

Thinking about dropping the dropper post, I just don't use it much. Most of the times I forget, lol. I think without the dropper and some slightly lighter rubber, I could get it in the high 24s.

Scottie
    I can help you get rid of the dropper! ;-)

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo1337 View Post

The scale at my shop said 27 pounds but I think its off, considering stock is like 26.5

Xtr brakes x01 drivetrain next sl cranks deity carbon bars and 50mm stem, hope pro 2s to wtb i23, titanium railed henge etc
    Mine is also 27lbs with similar spec. By the time you put real tires on them they're only a pound and a half off an E29".

What I want is an Epic with Camber Evo geometry, without the Brain, a Charger damped Reba, real tires and 25ish lbs. It might need a 170lb rider weight limit but I'm getting tired of overweight trail bikes.

Apologies for the negative comments regarding your new bike. It's still the best trail bike on the market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Buddy has an aluminum evo comp with x01 crank, wolfs tooth crankring, xt brakes, xt pedals, I9s and 2.3 purgatories in the front and rear, set up tubeless. It is 26.65 in medium.

SM

**edit, in this pic, it was with i9s and I think the rear tire was a ground control. But, when I had my carbons with purgatory rubber, it was about the same, maybe a tenth or two less

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Mine is also 27lbs with similar spec. By the time you put real tires on them they're only a pound and a half off an E29".

What I want is an Epic with Camber Evo geometry, without the Brain, a Charger damped Reba, real tires and 25ish lbs. It might need a 170lb rider weight limit but I'm getting tired of overweight trail bikes.

Apologies for the negative comments regarding your new bike. It's still the best trail bike on the market.
    yeah im just not sure what part about mine is heavier than the stock, im guessing the tires is the main thing since I went butcher grid (they were out of controls) and slaughter control

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I run the Grid's on the front anyway. Controls are too pingy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    I run the Grid's on the front anyway. Controls are too pingy.
    yeah i have gone through 3 controls on my other bike just by tearing sidewalls, decided for more aggressive riding its going to be grids only

mtbr member
    I've had the same issue with the Controls. Once I switched to the Grids, I haven't had a problem since.

yeah i have gone through 3 controls on my other bike just by tearing sidewalls, decided for more aggressive riding its going to be grids only
    Ride like you stole it!

2015 Camber Carbon Expert EVO
    2015 Roubaix Sport
    2014 Camber Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Nothing like cleaning your bike up after a mudfest of a ride! Hope y'all got a chance to ride some this weekend! #cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I can help you get rid of the dropper! ;-)
    If you are serious, send me a PM. I am going to remove the dropper, internally routed cable and dropper shifter with mount.

Scottie

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If anyone wants to command post IR, its for sale - $185 shipped in the US.

SM
    Last edited by scottie mac; 12-08-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: error

Does NOT know it all!
    If anyone wants to command post IR, its for sale - $185 shipped in the US.

SM
    If this will fit my 2014 Camber Comp Carbon I'll take it.

The Fastest of Bananas
    It will fit

Does NOT know it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    It will fit
    I'll take it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sold to matuchi, pending payment. That was quick, lol.

Scottie

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Great build! Is that frame a size Large? How tall are you?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MattThien View Post

Nothing like cleaning your bike up after a mudfest of a ride! Hope y'all got a chance to ride some this weekend! #cheers

Such a nice color.