Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 600 of 4728
  1. #501
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ric426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Jeez, I wish that would just dawn on me!!

    Great avatar by the way. I used to have a completely addicted Golden Retriever Tennis ball fanatic.
    Yeah, once in a while I luck out. Too bad I don't have a set of good 29" wheels and some lighter tires around. I think the bike (and rider) would benefit the most from those.

    The avatar is/was my sweetheart Murphy, the smartest dog I've ever had. She was a fairly petite Golden, but she figured out on her own how to carry three tennis balls at once. She was nuts about Frisbees too. One time I tried to mess with her and threw 2 balls then a Frisbee to see what she'd do. She really blew my mind when she flipped the Frisbee over on the ground, dropped the two balls in it, picked it up and brought all three back to me!
    Like too many Goldens nowadays, she got cancer when she was only 5 and we wound having to put her down. That was a real heart breaker and I still get all teary eyed thinking about her. Like now...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

  2. #502
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    176
    The more I see these upgraded Specialized Cambers the more I like them. I rode the 26" version at a demo a while back and I can honestly say that it is an incredible machine. The price point is attractive as well. It feels more relaxed than the Epic which is what I am looking for. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on a 2012 if money permits this year.

  3. #503
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,006

    New question here. How do I get ride of these stains??!!!

    Local mud near Mt. Diablo CA. I've washed many times and tried rubbing compound but no use.
    Any ideas??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-dsc08222.jpg  

    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

    www.specialized.com

  4. #504
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dwhitt1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    132
    Bleach maybe?

  5. #505
    JRA
    Reputation: BigRuckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    240
    Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. But test a small spot first, it can dull clear coat.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

  6. #506
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28
    I use comet

  7. #507
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    I don't know how mud can stain a painted and clear coated part like that. I'm glad I don't drive through that Mt. Diablo mud in my white car!

  8. #508
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    37
    Can the Camber Comp run 2.5 Nevegals? I'm looking at building a wider wheelset with XT hubs and Sun Rhyno rims but I'm concerned about tire clearance.

  9. #509
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    I run a 2.2 icon exo in the rear and I wouldn't say it's tight, but there is not a ton of room left. I think 2.5 would be really pushing it on the rear, may not fit whatsoever...

    You should be able to pull it off in the front, and squeeze a 2.3 out back, maybe a 2.4

  10. #510
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chameleoneel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    540
    2.5 is huuuge. Even if you could, that stuff is for DH and hucking. Trust me, you'll be just fine with a good 2.3-2.4 and a wider rim. I've got Kenda Excavators (2.35) on 28mm rims for my Enduro SL and LOVE IT.

    *PS, get Excavators instead of Nevegals. Roll noticeably better. Smoother transition. Grip at least as well, probably better.

  11. #511
    JRA
    Reputation: BigRuckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by tnevaneb View Post
    Can the Camber Comp run 2.5 Nevegals? I'm looking at building a wider wheelset with XT hubs and Sun Rhyno rims but I'm concerned about tire clearance.
    That would be a tight fit. If you want to try it, I would buy them from someplace that would allow a return.

    I take it your not going for speed or lightweight? That combo will add a good pound to each end of the bike.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

  12. #512
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. But test a small spot first, it can dull clear coat.
    x2 on the Magic Eraser. Thing can take little surface rust spots out of metal.

    Regarding the dulling of clear coat just hit it afterwards with a buffer and some wax. Restores the clear coat.

  13. #513
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev View Post
    Ya man....I can't believe they would put those brakes on that bike. Sometimes specialized really disappoints. The camber looks good at $1650, reality is..it's really closer to $1900 due to immediate need for brakes..etc.
    You might be able to adjust the pads in closer. Look up the "business card" adjustment and see if it will work for those. The thickness of a bus. card is what you want to see between rotor and pads.
    i dont know what morons you've had set up your bike/ brakes but ive been on my camber for 3 months and my dracos are very precise and responsive the only thing they lack is on the fly lever adjustment like the elixir levers but i mean its only the cheapest price point that they come on

  14. #514
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    can anyone suggest a good head set and stem for my camber comp looking to save weight yet need durability

  15. #515
    Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Reputation: Sid Nitzerglobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    651
    2.5 should fit up front w/ no issues, however as mentioned, the rear probably won't fit. 2.4 MK fit on the rear w/o issues, 2.4 TK is really close and leaves very little clearance.

    Now that it's dried out a bit I'm running TK 2.4 F and 2.2 R and loving it.

  16. #516
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Who else out there has pictures?

  17. #517
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dwhitt1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    132
    Can anyone tell me how the rear shocks are holding up? Ride quality? I'm thinking of upgrading soon.

  18. #518
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwhitt1981 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the rear shocks are holding up? Ride quality? I'm thinking of upgrading soon.
    if your gunna grab one spend a little more and get the expert with the fox triad the ario on the elite and comps are ok but something with dampening is a little nicer i think im gunna put the monarh plus rc3 on my comp

  19. #519
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dwhitt1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    132
    the only problem is elite is about as high as I can go.

  20. #520
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Already had to have my lbs send my fox shock off. it sounded like a can of marbles

  21. #521
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwhitt1981 View Post
    the only problem is elite is about as high as I can go.
    the ario isnt a bad shock just lacks compression adj im on a comp and still riding the ario and it soaks up very well i keep the psi a little higher than recommended

  22. #522
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dwhitt1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    the ario isnt a bad shock just lacks compression adj im on a comp and still riding the ario and it soaks up very well i keep the psi a little higher than recommended
    Cool thanks. How are the brakes on the comp?

  23. #523
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwhitt1981 View Post
    Cool thanks. How are the brakes on the comp?
    ive seen alot of people *****ing but ive had no problems with mine the elixers are a nicer brake and come with a better rotor

  24. #524
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Yeah, seems like alot of people are having issues with their brakes and havent had any issues with my expert

  25. #525
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24

  26. #526
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Those green stickers really bug the hell out of me!!! I can't even believe they would have them on that bike...

  27. #527
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrepeau View Post
    x2 on the Magic Eraser. Thing can take little surface rust spots out of metal.

    Regarding the dulling of clear coat just hit it afterwards with a buffer and some wax. Restores the clear coat.
    Comet - negative.
    Bleach - nope.
    Mr. Clean - nah.

    WTF!? I may look to some automotive rubbing compounds next.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

    www.specialized.com

  28. #528
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    Those green stickers really bug the hell out of me!!! I can't even believe they would have them on that bike...
    Yeah, I just ride the pee out of the thing. Not to big of a color scheme freak

  29. #529
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28
    Few new parts and up grades on my expert. That I have done in the last few weeks
    XTR rear derailleur, SLX cranks, Elixir R SL brakes, clean sweep XX rotors with ti bolts and Crank Brothers Joplin. Iím having too much fun with this thing!!!

  30. #530
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28






  31. #531
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    did you stick with the 3 ring primary? do you notice any difference in the rear derailer?

  32. #532
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Got a few hundred $ for upgrades on my Elite 29'r. Taking suggestions on where I should start. I am thinking cassette, bars, seat post and saddle, but I am open to suggestions.

  33. #533
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmason View Post
    did you stick with the 3 ring primary? do you notice any difference in the rear derailer?
    I have a 2 ring primary now and yes I feel the different with the derailleur.Its the mid cage. Smother and last slap. That is the only problem I have had with the bike is the chain drop.

  34. #534
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by bskins View Post
    Got a few hundred $ for upgrades on my Elite 29'r. Taking suggestions on where I should start. I am thinking cassette, bars, seat post and saddle, but I am open to suggestions.
    carbon bars are a good start i upgraded to the easton haven carbon, and got the remote lock out for the front fork

  35. #535
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Pretty fancy new 2012's, kinda surprised with the carbon models, figured they'd keep them to the epics. Only "real" difference now will be brain vs. no brain for 2012. I'm sure the carbon pro will be over 5k!!! xx components, Fox rp23, fox rlc, carbon frame.....

    Went to a tapered headtube, but still open dropouts w/ OS endcaps, not bad, but would just rather the "real deal" 15mm thru-axle setup....

    Bump to 110mm travel front/rear as well for 29ers, 26ers stay at 120, maybe there using a standard 2.0 stroke shock, ditching the proprietary BS




  36. #536
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ric426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    422
    It's a sweet bike for sure and I'd love to ride one, but man, there's no chance in heck that I'll ever own a $6500 bike. Not unless I won the lottery or give up any dream of retiring in a few years. I guess living with the tanked Michigan economy for so long changes your perspective, but it amazes me that there are that many people out there who could spend that much on a bike.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

  37. #537
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    Pretty fancy new 2012's, kinda surprised with the carbon models, figured they'd keep them to the epics. Only "real" difference now will be brain vs. no brain for 2012. I'm sure the carbon pro will be over 5k!!! xx components, Fox rp23, fox rlc, carbon frame.....

    Went to a tapered headtube, but still open dropouts w/ OS endcaps, not bad, but would just rather the "real deal" 15mm thru-axle setup....

    Bump to 110mm travel front/rear as well for 29ers, 26ers stay at 120, maybe there using a standard 2.0 stroke shock, ditching the proprietary BS
    Do you know if there will be a carbon 29er version?

  38. #538
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    I believe 10 camber models total, 3 or which are carbon 29ers. I'll have to double check to make sure that's right correct, but that's what I remembered....

  39. #539
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Anyone know if Specialized going to launch Camber Carbon 26er?

  40. #540
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    thinking of getting a camber also....just wanna ask for suggestions on which size should i get? iam 5'8"...thanks

  41. #541
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by difflock120 View Post
    thinking of getting a camber also....just wanna ask for suggestions on which size should i get? iam 5'8"...thanks
    im 5'8" and ride a 26" med the 29" med felt too big

  42. #542
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58
    Does the 2011 or 2012 Camber use a standard size rear shock? (No proprietary mounting hardware, through hole, etc)

  43. #543
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Allenfstar--I think you be fine on a medium or you could even ride a small with a bit longer stem, I never rode a small, large was def too big.

    B52doc-- it's proprietary 1.9 x 2.0, however a 2.0 will fit with no issues, it will give you bit more travel actually or you can run the 2.0 with a spacer from Push. Not sure how running a 2.0 would affect future warranty work for you...

    I'm not really a fan of the triad and have had a few problems with them. The latest has been good tho, and I don't want to spend 300+ on a new shock, plus the triad isn't in demand like the rp23 or monarch so you'll be lucky to get anything for it. More or less a if it isn't broke don't fix it kinda deal!!

  44. #544
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58
    Thanks for the reply! I was curious because I am looking at a Camber for my brother and I have a Monarch laying around with no home.

  45. #545
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post
    Allenfstar--I think you be fine on a medium or you could even ride a small with a bit longer stem, I never rode a small, large was def too big.

    B52doc-- it's proprietary 1.9 x 2.0, however a 2.0 will fit with no issues, it will give you bit more travel actually or you can run the 2.0 with a spacer from Push. Not sure how running a 2.0 would affect future warranty work for you...

    I'm not really a fan of the triad and have had a few problems with them. The latest has been good tho, and I don't want to spend 300+ on a new shock, plus the triad isn't in demand like the rp23 or monarch so you'll be lucky to get anything for it. More or less a if it isn't broke don't fix it kinda deal!!
    my 26" camber is a med the 29er felt too bulky in the med frame but 29ers arent really my thing anyway

  46. #546
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,005
    Any word on the 2012 Camber 29er prices?

  47. #547
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GotoDengo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by ds33gt View Post

    B52doc-- it's proprietary 1.9 x 2.0.
    Not true. Where are you getting that? All cambers, 2011's at least, have 7.875x2.0 shocks, which is a standard size. Stumpy stroke is 1.9. Cambers are one of the few entry level FS bikes that have standard shock sizes... pretty ironic. Fuel EX6/7/8, Trance Xx, etc, now have proprietary shock sizes.

    1.9x2.0? You get more stroke than the entire length of the shock?

  48. #548
    JRA
    Reputation: BigRuckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    240
    The Camber 29ers shock is 7.875x1.9. I'm guessing that is what they are referring to.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

  49. #549
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    The Camber 29ers shock is 7.875x1.9. I'm guessing that is what they are referring to.
    In metric, that must be a 200 x 50mm, a common size.

  50. #550
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174

    Camber 650b conversion

    Has anyone converted a 26" Specialized Camber to 650b? If so, what has been the result and what did you use to make the conversion.

    I have searched the 650b forum for Camber conversions with no results and posted a question as well, but so far, no replies.

  51. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    22
    put on xt groupset/ am clas wheelset. weight dropped 2 lbs. from 30 to 28 pounds.

  52. #552
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    22
    some pics. wasnt able to fit the 2012 XT front derailleur and rotors. might be going tubeless next to shave off a little more weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-dsc01490.jpg  

    Official Specialized Camber Thread-dsc01491.jpg  


  53. #553
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,613
    Nice bike, but just a small fashion note

    I think the gold deraileur cable housing is a bit much. I think it would look good if you could run interrupted housing with just the gold loop up front and at the deraileur, but the whole length stands out too much and you can see every wiggle. Black against the black paint would make it it disappear; maybe better??

    Ok, sorry for the trivial sidetrack.

  54. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    183

    Camber Bottle Cages?

    Anybody running the Specialized Zee Cage on their small or med. frame Camber? I like the look of this one cause it side loads...

    As hot as it has gotten down here in NC (110 heat index tomorrow) I'm going to have to start carrying a bottle with some Hammer Heed or electrolyte mix drink to supplement my straight water in my camelbak and the normal hammer gels.

    Never ridden with a bottle but never had a summer this hot either so...... Any luck with the Zee cage or any other cage on the smaller size camber frames (SM/MED) that don't bang up your frame when taking the bottle in and out???
    Thanks,
    TJM

  55. #555
    Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Reputation: Sid Nitzerglobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    651
    Works fine w/ a 20 oz Camelbak Podium Chiller bottle and a Zee cage on my L Camber. I'm gonna guess the cage should fit just fine, but you might have issues w/ large size bottles on a small or medium frame.

  56. #556
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8
    21Oz Podium Chill fits in my medium frame.

  57. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031 View Post
    Anybody running the Specialized Zee Cage on their small or med. frame Camber? I like the look of this one cause it side loads...

    As hot as it has gotten down here in NC (110 heat index tomorrow) I'm going to have to start carrying a bottle with some Hammer Heed or electrolyte mix drink to supplement my straight water in my camelbak and the normal hammer gels.

    Never ridden with a bottle but never had a summer this hot either so...... Any luck with the Zee cage or any other cage on the smaller size camber frames (SM/MED) that don't bang up your frame when taking the bottle in and out???
    Thanks,
    TJM
    i run just an aluminum e cage on my med comp with no trouble

  58. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    I too am in the same boat. 105 and humid with the heat index today. Going to give it a shot here in Ohio

  59. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8
    ^I hear ya, I'm in the Kansas City area...gonna give it a shot here in about 30 mins. Always dicey when you go down in the trees...could be cooler...could be hotter!

  60. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM0031 View Post
    Anybody running the Specialized Zee Cage on their small or med. frame Camber? I like the look of this one cause it side loads...

    As hot as it has gotten down here in NC (110 heat index tomorrow) I'm going to have to start carrying a bottle with some Hammer Heed or electrolyte mix drink to supplement my straight water in my camelbak and the normal hammer gels.

    Never ridden with a bottle but never had a summer this hot either so...... Any luck with the Zee cage or any other cage on the smaller size camber frames (SM/MED) that don't bang up your frame when taking the bottle in and out???
    Thanks,
    TJM
    I am running it with a S size 26er, 21 oz. Little Big Mouth bottle, no interruption loading and off load the bottle, but the zee cage inner shinny surface turned dull due to frequent rubbing, overall, zee cage is cool for me.


  61. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    specialized camber comp

    hi guys. i've been reading from you a lot but this is my first posting. i've been thinking of getting the specialized camber comp and i just wanted to know if it has a lockout on the front suspension? in their website it says that it has a turnkey damper, rebound adjust but didnt say anything about lockout.. kindofa noob here any info would greatly be appreciated.

    thanks

  62. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    22
    both the front and rear shocks have lockouts

  63. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    hello i'new in the forum.Ihave a stumpjumper carbon frond suspension and Ineed som help

  64. #564
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_P View Post
    hi guys. i've been reading from you a lot but this is my first posting. i've been thinking of getting the specialized camber comp and i just wanted to know if it has a lockout on the front suspension? in their website it says that it has a turnkey damper, rebound adjust but didnt say anything about lockout.. kindofa noob here any info would greatly be appreciated.

    thanks
    the forks on that have a l/o but its called turn key dampening because there is a "blow off" to thelock out that still lets the fork compress slightly its a very practical trail lock out i have a camber comp and have had it for about 4 months and put alot of miles on it it has been a great bike and i would highly recommend it

  65. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by angelos t View Post
    hello i'new in the forum.Ihave a stumpjumper carbon frond suspension and Ineed som help
    what help do you need?

  66. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    183
    Thanks for the replies on the bottle cages. Went with a flat black alloy zee cage and the new Specialized Purist Watergate bottle.

  67. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madsedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,488
    Update on my Camber expert....
    With the following parts changes I am down to a little over 27 pounds...
    -Phenom Pro seat with carbon rails
    -removed front shifter, using der for chain guide until my MRP gets here
    -1x10 set-up with race face single speed 34t ring up front
    -removed the gear indicator from rear shifter
    -yanked/sold the stock wheels, running Mavic Crosstrails
    -captain controls 2.0 front and rear tubeless
    -eggbeaters

    Future plans...
    -yank the front der and install the MRP BB mounted guide this week
    -yank the 203/185 G3 rotors for 185/160 rotors
    -Sette evo stem, new carbon bar, KCNC bolted seat post clamp
    -new crank, possibly a Noir 1.1 or Truvative OCT 1.1

    With the future tweeks I want to do over the next couple months the bike should be around 26#, possibly in the 25's and thats plenty light for me.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

  68. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    32

    2012 Camber line up pics

    Hi guys,
    for those who want to see 2012 Cambers pics, this is a nice link: http://specialized-2012.pinkbike.com/album/Camber/
    i did not find 26' pro. the 26' expert is now 2x10 and tapered ht.

  69. #569
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr View Post
    Hi guys,
    for those who want to see 2012 Cambers pics, this is a nice link: http://specialized-2012.pinkbike.com/album/Camber/
    i did not find 26' pro. the 26' expert is now 2x10 and tapered ht.
    Good find! Any luck tracking down the specs on the expert or pro or if either will be M5? It seems like every other Spec bike's specs have been found but the Camber.

    Edit :
    Why did you camber owners go with a camber over the stumpjumper comp?

  70. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    88
    Nom camber pro yet and only fox forks for the 29er? Specialized needs to spread the love.

  71. #571
    Time Traveler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5
    I just became a proud owner of a Camber Comp. My first full suspension bike. Gave it a bit of a shakedown this morning and so far, the bike is amazing. So worth the money....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo-1-.jpg  

    Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo-2-.jpg  


  72. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8
    ^Hipstamatic! Those yellow cambers look nice IMO.

    Still don't have enough posts to throw up the pics of my 26" Camber Pro yet. This is #7! Only mod I've made is a tubeless conversion.

  73. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8
    Anyone have any experience with a Crank Brothers Joplin 4 Seatpost mounted on a camber?

  74. #574
    memento mori
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    374
    any idea if the 29ers are coming with fox 34's or 32's?

  75. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Would the Camber Comp be a good purchase for 220 lb guy wanting to ride Lots of long rooty, techy climbs and ride balls-out down hill on steep rooty, rocky trail decents taking 3ft drops.

    I am 6ft 215-220lbs. I've been riding an upgraded 4 series trek (38.4 lbs) for a couple years and I am doing a lot bigger down hills but still climb a lot. Looking for something lighter, climbs well, but can handle lots of, but not huge,drops and jumps.

  76. #576
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck View Post
    Would the Camber Comp be a good purchase for 220 lb guy wanting to ride Lots of long rooty, techy climbs and ride balls-out down hill on steep rooty, rocky trail decents taking 3ft drops.

    I am 6ft 215-220lbs. I've been riding an upgraded 4 series trek (38.4 lbs) for a couple years and I am doing a lot bigger down hills but still climb a lot. Looking for something lighter, climbs well, but can handle lots of, but not huge,drops and jumps.
    id recommend saving a couple hundred extra and get a stumpjumper comp or sj evo comp you will bottom out the suspension on the camber on anything bigger than like 2 ft

  77. #577
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Stupid question, but do we need a special crank puller to pull our stock crank off? I see that on both sides the arms use pinch bolts but I dont see there being a typical bolt on the ends of the arms like most bikes. Anyone have any insight on how to take the crank off to grease it up?

  78. #578
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    id recommend saving a couple hundred extra and get a stumpjumper comp or sj evo comp you will bottom out the suspension on the camber on anything bigger than like 2 ft
    Thanks for the reply, that is what I was worried about.

    I was just looking at the Fantom on bikesdirect.com. Wow! gonna be hard to keep my eye on specialized with the way those bikes are set-up for the price. The pro or the step up would make me more than happy i think. About the same price as a camber and less than a SJ.

  79. #579
    mtbr member
    Reputation: madsedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,488
    For the Shimano crank on my expert model it was a breeze.
    -I used a pair of thin pliers that I partially opened inside the non-drive side of the crank to back out the cap on the end of the crank, if you look you'll see what I'm talking about.
    -The removed the pair of pinch bolts and slide off the arm on the non-drive side.
    -Remove the chain and pull the crank out, clean and regrease before putting it back.

    If its a little snug to pull out just lightly tap it with a rubber mallet or wooden hammer handle, this also works for re-installing.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

  80. #580
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    @kdrchuck fantom is the same travel as camber though so youll see the same problem and granted im a specialized wh0re but motobacane simply does not make a bike as well as specialized id still tell you wait longer save more money and go stumpy evo you will not regret it

  81. #581
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    For the Shimano crank on my expert model it was a breeze.
    -I used a pair of thin pliers that I partially opened inside the non-drive side of the crank to back out the cap on the end of the crank, if you look you'll see what I'm talking about.
    -The removed the pair of pinch bolts and slide off the arm on the non-drive side.
    -Remove the chain and pull the crank out, clean and regrease before putting it back.

    If its a little snug to pull out just lightly tap it with a rubber mallet or wooden hammer handle, this also works for re-installing.
    Thanks man, going to give it a try here in a few minutes. One of the local trails here has two creek crossings that get hammered through and can only image what that BB will start to look like. Is that bolt thing on the end of the crank arm just there to keep the arm from coming off if the pinch bolts come loose?

  82. #582
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,005
    What are the prices on the 2012 FSR 29ers?

  83. #583
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by paumd View Post
    both the front and rear shocks have lockouts
    Thanks for the info

  84. #584
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    the forks on that have a l/o but its called turn key dampening because there is a "blow off" to thelock out that still lets the fork compress slightly its a very practical trail lock out i have a camber comp and have had it for about 4 months and put alot of miles on it it has been a great bike and i would highly recommend it
    Thanks for the info. I'll be picking up my camber comp tomorrow.

  85. #585
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    @kdrchuck fantom is the same travel as camber though so youll see the same problem and granted im a specialized wh0re but motobacane simply does not make a bike as well as specialized id still tell you wait longer save more money and go stumpy evo you will not regret it
    I'm no expert by far. But I figured I could tune the Reba and rear shock on the pro enough to handle the big stuff when I'm on it (not often) and soften it back up for my normal xc riding.

  86. #586
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck View Post
    I'm no expert by far. But I figured I could tune the Reba and rear shock on the pro enough to handle the big stuff when I'm on it (not often) and soften it back up for my normal xc riding.
    take it how you will but i work in a shop in a fairly large city and we see alot of trouble with motobacane/bikesdirect.

  87. #587
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    take it how you will but i work in a shop in a fairly large city and we see alot of trouble with motobacane/bikesdirect.
    Sorry to off the thread subject but, What problems. Could they be coming from poor initial set-up?

  88. #588
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck View Post
    Sorry to off the thread subject but, What problems. Could they be coming from poor initial set-up?
    one case in particular had a seized bb right outta the box, sevral hanger issues, zero warranty support, the usual hazards of buying anything as important as a bike online.

    may i just add LIFETIME WARRANTY ON SPECIALIZED FRAMES

  89. #589
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    no tapered ht on fantom either

  90. #590
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    88
    I don't like the idea of buying a bike without trying it first, but I would be in the same situation with specialized. The closest shop is 45 min away and he doesn't stock any full suspension bikes. He is happy to order it but I have to commit to it first.

    The info is great. Another (maybe the best) option would be for me to go with a cannondale or trek which I could try in my LBS. If they have anything.

  91. #591
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    zero warranty support, the usual hazards of buying anything as important as a bike online.
    Not to drag this thread down with another BD pissing match but to say there is no warranty support is bogus. I have a Phantom and when I had a problem with the headset (probably my fault for over-tightening)
    They sent me a new one and upgraded it to cover the cost of having my LBS put it in. This took maybe two days to get it and another to get it installed. I thought it was outstanding service.

    More recently my brand new Stumpjumper had an issue with the front hub. (not my fault) and it took almost two weeks to get it back from the shop waiting on the Spesh rep to approve and then to get the parts and then to get the wheel built. Don't get me wrong they fixed it and it's been great.

    Both companies handled the problem but to say something like BD has no warranty support is just incorrect. You may see problems with their bikes but I have never owned a bike that didn't have some issue at some point even a brand new $3k Specialized.

    I'm NOT bashing any brand or anyone but let's keep things accurate.

  92. #592
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Not to drag this thread down with another BD pissing match but to say there is no warranty support is bogus. I have a Phantom and when I had a problem with the headset (probably my fault for over-tightening)
    They sent me a new one and upgraded it to cover the cost of having my LBS put it in. This took maybe two days to get it and another to get it installed. I thought it was outstanding service.

    More recently my brand new Stumpjumper had an issue with the front hub. (not my fault) and it took almost two weeks to get it back from the shop waiting on the Spesh rep to approve and then to get the parts and then to get the wheel built. Don't get me wrong they fixed it and it's been great.

    Both companies handled the problem but to say something like BD has no warranty support is just incorrect. You may see problems with their bikes but I have never owned a bike that didn't have some issue at some point even a brand new $3k Specialized.

    I'm NOT bashing any brand or anyone but let's keep things accurate.
    keep things accurate? i work in a shop and am speaking from direct experience doesnt get any more accurate. your experience may have been different.

    with that out of the way
    @kdr trek makes a good bike, i dont know how the newer cannondales are, now having ridden quite a few diff full suspension bikes fsr/horst link is arguably the best suspension design

  93. #593
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    has anyone been having any issues with the shimano deore xt rear derailer? Seems like im running up to the LBS every other week for a tune!

  94. #594
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    22
    no. but my front xt brake has been leaking for 3 days now. its coming from the reservoir cover

  95. #595
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmason View Post
    has anyone been having any issues with the shimano deore xt rear derailer? Seems like im running up to the LBS every other week for a tune!
    how old is your bike, and what is the trouble youre having

  96. #596
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrchuck View Post
    Would the Camber Comp be a good purchase for 220 lb guy wanting to ride Lots of long rooty, techy climbs and ride balls-out down hill on steep rooty, rocky trail decents taking 3ft drops.

    I am 6ft 215-220lbs. I've been riding an upgraded 4 series trek (38.4 lbs) for a couple years and I am doing a lot bigger down hills but still climb a lot. Looking for something lighter, climbs well, but can handle lots of, but not huge,drops and jumps.
    I've got nearly 300 miles racked on my camber now after a few months of ownership. What a piece of junk this bike is. I've had problems with the brakes and derailers multiple times. I am now looking at buying a second bike after just getting in the hobby because I am tired of missing days of riding with a bike that can't seem to stay together.

    Even worse, R'n'R cyclery didn't tighten my rear wheel after installing a new chain. When messing around doing a stoppie, my back wheel fell out the frame and I came down on my rotor, bending it. I am pretty much done with specialized as I bought the bike for the free tune-ups. All I seem to get everytime I go in there are more head aches.

    If I were you, I'd honestly look at something else as this bike can't handle ****. I am 6" 180lbs and don't think I dish it out that hard.

    Good luck!

  97. #597
    I don't huck.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickk6 View Post
    I've got nearly 300 miles racked on my camber now after a few months of ownership. What a piece of junk this bike is. I've had problems with the brakes and derailers multiple times. I am now looking at buying a second bike after just getting in the hobby because I am tired of missing days of riding with a bike that can't seem to stay together.

    Even worse, R'n'R cyclery didn't tighten my rear wheel after installing a new chain. When messing around doing a stoppie, my back wheel fell out the frame and I came down on my rotor, bending it. I am pretty much done with specialized as I bought the bike for the free tune-ups. All I seem to get everytime I go in there are more head aches.

    If I were you, I'd honestly look at something else as this bike can't handle ****. I am 6" 180lbs and don't think I dish it out that hard.

    Good luck!
    Oh boy. Where to start?

    You realize of course, that the brakes and shifty parts are not made by Specialized and they will likely be comparable or exactly the same as offered on any other brand at the same price?

    Do yourself (and us) a favor...learn to work on your bike and know when it needs adjustment or repair and do it yourself. It takes some time, but is well worth it. I would never ride a bike that someone else worked on with checking the work they did first...bolts tight, etc.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

  98. #598
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Oh boy. Where to start?

    You realize of course, that the brakes and shifty parts are not made by Specialized and they will likely be comparable or exactly the same as offered on any other brand at the same price?

    Do yourself (and us) a favor...learn to work on your bike and know when it needs adjustment or repair and do it yourself. It takes some time, but is well worth it. I would never ride a bike that someone else worked on with checking the work they did first...bolts tight, etc.
    I do realize this. I would not buy another "comparable" bike. I bought a specialized based on the fact it had FREE tune ups. I work 60+ hours a week, so wrenching my own bike seems like fun, I just don't have time for it between wrenching on my truck, cars, motorcycles and jet skis.

  99. #599
    stumpyexpert
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    55

    Camber Comp

    Here is my Camber Comp. I've Changed a few bits. I've replaced the fork with a Rockshox Reba SL 120 with a 20mm bolt thru maxle. Totally transformed the front end. Feels very soild. I've also changed the stock brakes which were totally garbage they lacked any sort of feel. Replaced them with some Avid Elixir 5's with 185mm rotors F&R. Also added some XT clipless pedals.

    I think I will also changed the chainset to XT aswell. Will post some more pics as i go along
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-good.jpg  

    Official Specialized Camber Thread-good-2.jpg  


  100. #600
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Oh boy. Where to start?

    You realize of course, that the brakes and shifty parts are not made by Specialized and they will likely be comparable or exactly the same as offered on any other brand at the same price?

    Do yourself (and us) a favor...learn to work on your bike and know when it needs adjustment or repair and do it yourself. It takes some time, but is well worth it. I would never ride a bike that someone else worked on with checking the work they did first...bolts tight, etc.
    Yep, you see that quite a lot on here.

    The problem with Specialized is not because the bikes are poor, its just that they attract a wide range of people with varying skillsets.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 374

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •