Page 59 of 88 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 4375
    Monster FTW

Thought I would update this with my build with the weights I've figured out, maybe it will help someone...

My bike started out as a Carbon Comp and is now Carbon Evo I LOVE it.

2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

Monster FTW
    Oh and the total weights per Excel are:

12426g

or

27.39 lbs

That's with pedals, cages, and tools.

I weighted it at the LBS at 27 lbs 11 oz before I swapped out some parts. Need to re-weigh it, but I'm just riding it at this point...

FYI, I'm running 1x10 and a Butcher 2.3 and I'm VERY happy with it all. The Butcher grips for days, but it's not a tire for weight weenies. I think a 2.3/2.1 GC combo might be the sweet spot...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    I have a Mucky Nutz on the way that I will install on my Camber tomorrow with Butcher 2.3 on front. I will let you know my experiences with both the bike and Butcher after this weekend.

I, too, wanted an EVO. My riding style is inline with the purpose of the EVO and I test rode an EVO both times. That being said, the deal I got on the custom Comp was too good to pass up and I'm 1/2 way to EVO with a 120mm Pike RCT3 (+ other upgrades). I imagine I will end-up updating the shock to a Monarch Debonair Autosag or a Cane Creek Inline.

Nice bike, Redaggie. We are headed in similar directions... Question - did you only add the 197x51 shock or did you change anything else? I ask because in these two threads, there is great debate about what is required to go from a standard Camber to an EVO:

Camber EVO conversion
    Specialized MTB Questions?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.
    I have read both of those threads and no where do I see how you convert a non evo to a evo.....
    2016 Scott Scale 710 Plus
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

Monster FTW

Official Specialized Camber Thread

No frame changes. Just the shock link and rear shock swap from the Evo. The frames are the exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster FTW
    yes, my LBS ordered it for me as well as the special 120mm air spring to make my Pike 120mm. I'll look at the paperwork and see if the part numbers are on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redaggie03 View Post
    yes, my LBS ordered it for me as well as the special 120mm air spring to make my Pike 120mm. I'll look at the paperwork and see if the part numbers are on there.
    Finally a definite answer. Thank you

mtbr member
    From one year to the next the shock-link my be different, so be sure you order the right one.

Also, I was told the EVO has a different rear triangle which is also an available part to order, approx $300.
    But I have not confirmed if the triangle is actually different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Camber 'stalker' (me) finally took the plunge

So I've been 'stalking' this thread for some time now being a taker. It's time I come out of the shadows and start giving back. I finally found the right bike for me (pretty much due to ALL the awesome content found on this thread throughout the years...thanks everyone!) and couldn't be happier. Meet the newest member of the family...2014 Expert Carbon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sweet Ride, congratulations.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

2015 Camber Elite Carbon Weight

First ride today on my bike and first time on a 29er.

First impressions were great. Climbed well, descends well. Brakes need some bedding in but not the end of the world.

I had some trouble choosing between an Epic and the Camber but finally selected the Camber. After today I think I made the right choice.

Haven't changed a single thing.

Weight - 12.3Kg (27.12 pounds) with candy Sl pedals. Size Large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Congratulation to the new Camber owners ;-)!!! I was also torn between the epic an the Camber. Finally I ended with the Camber expert Evo. My main purpose is CC riding / touring and longer rides over 3 hours, which this bike is perfect for. I tested the normal camber comp, which was also a sweet ride... the next Thing I was not sure if the evo would be the better Thing or, if I should go for the Standard camber. For my purpose the difference between both does not matter, but the 1x11 drivetrain of the evo, as well as the Pike fork made the decision very easy. Any (retired ,-))CC-Racer out there should take a testride on the camber.... I would say, that the ride is almost as fast as any CC-Race-Bike but, with much more fun and a more relaxed / comfortable Position on the bike.

Monster FTW

The rear triangle is the same. Frame is the same. Just the rear shock and link. I'll try to get the part numbers tonight. I keep forgetting to pull out the paperwork.

Monster FTW

Pics from this weekends ride.

Monster FTW

If not I can sell you mine and get another.

mtbr member
    The part numbers are nothing to wait on. Every specialized lbs has to use a website to order parts that is a graphical navigation interface which does not take part numbers.
    They navigate by production year then model of bike then a list of available parts.
    The link is visible on that page with a qty of units available to purchase.
    If the qty is zero, you cant buy it.

mtbr member
    Be sure to sand your rotors with 300 grit before using new pads on them.

mtbr member
    The link is off and on available like all parts from specialized. Your lbs has to look them up live to find out if its available now to order.

mtbr member
    thanks for this thread guys, it may have prevented a problem for me before it started. I recently picked up a 2013 Camber Comp, and after reading through this thread, I decided to check clearances on my BB. Sure enough, my FD shift cable was snug tight against the BB. Seeing some horror stories with gouges getting worn into the BB casing, I put some slack in it so it's not rubbing against the BB every time the frame flexes now. As tight as it was, I think it could easily have created a problem with that heavy shift cable. So thanks guys, great site and resource for info. I LOVE this bike! Already saving my pennies for the EVO version next year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have just purchased a highly customized 2014 Camber Carbon Comp. Is there a smart way to install the rear shock CTD remote - or more specifically - the remote control cable in/on the carbon frame? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Are any of you guys having issues with play in the rear wheel? I adjusted the hub, and it feels good off the bike, but installed, there is a decent amount of side to side play when pushing on the tire. All the linkage bolts feel tight. Do Cambers, or Specializeds in general, have issues with rear wheel play?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I may have spoken too soon and need to give the Trails some more time. I spent time re-adjusting them and went for quick ride at lunch and we're close. I'm going to order new pads and then install a 200mm Centerline on the front and 180mm Centerline in the back and see how they are then. I definitely like the MatchMaker system as it keeps the bars clean.
    The issues with Avid brakes are not their braking performance. In my experience, they even outperform XTs (I ride both) in modulation. However, DOT is a mess and they tend to draw air, so you have to bleed them more often, which makes DOT even more of a mess. Even though I enjoy a clean cockpit, I'd prefer XTR or Saint brakes. I have no experience with the Guide, though, and they are rumored to address some issues the Elixirs have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got my elixir 7s to work what I thought was really good. Used them for three years. Since I sold that bike, I have been riding my buddy's camber evo that he has upgraded to XTs. I will never own another bike without XTs. They just work and are quiet. As close to a set it and forget it brake system as I have ever used.

Scottie

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Is 28.6 lbs heavy for a 2014 Camber Expert Carbon?

Official Specialized Camber Thread-image.jpg

I just bought this 2014 Camber Expert Carbon (everything is stock except some platform pedals I took off my 2006 Trek 4300) and it weighs 28.6lbs. In my minimal knowledge of carbon frames and seeing some of the weights on this forum, that seems HEAVY for a carbon frame and carbon wheel set.

Educate me y'all. What is considered a 'light' MTB?

Name 3 things YOU would do to make this bike even more awesome.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MattThien View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	933559

I just bought this 2014 Camber Expert Carbon (everything is stock except some platform pedals I took off my 2006 Trek 4300) and it weighs 28.6lbs. In my minimal knowledge of carbon frames and seeing some of the weights on this forum, that seems HEAVY for a carbon frame and carbon wheel set.

Matt, I think the 2x drivetrain, dropper post and Fox fork are the obvious "culprits". Are the wheels carbon already?

If you were to go 1x, carbon seatpost, carbon wheels and switch to something like a Sid or Reba, you would probably drop a few pounds. Note that this is just from a weight perspective, performance wise, I would keep your fork and dropper post.

Just go ride the damn thing! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks fefillo. Yes, carbon wheels. I ain't giving up my dropper post (for the simple fact it's cool technology) and you're right, I need to just "go ride the damn thing!" The 1x drivetrain interests me a little...not enough to make the conversion tomorrow, but possibly in the future.

mtbr member

Thanks fefillo. Yes, carbon wheels. I ain't giving up my dropper post (for the simple fact it's cool technology) and you're right, I need to just "go ride the damn thing!" The 1x drivetrain interests me a little...not enough to make the conversion tomorrow, but possibly in the future.
    I agree it's not something you want to do from day one... You want to get to know your bike a better and see what kind of gearing will work for the type of riding you do, but as an example... I went 1x on my Camber for like $200 (Wolftooth 42t + Raceface 36t NW + new chain). Official Specialized Camber Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1414097921.438747.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Totally a great option for a 1x setup. Dang, it's that easy. Add a big ass cog in the back, a single chain ring + a new chain. Boom. Both come in blue too. Would look sick (like your red awesomeness). So adding the 42 in the back, what's that equivelant to, gear wise on a 2x? Do you get much chain slap with this setup? Good news, this 1x setup is better than a single speed #brightside

mtbr member

Totally a great option for a 1x setup. Dang, it's that easy. Add a big ass cog in the back, a single chain ring + a new chain. Boom. Both come in blue too. Would look sick (like your red awesomeness). So adding the 42 in the back, what's that equivelant to, gear wise on a 2x? Do you get much chain slap with this setup? Good news, this 1x setup is better than a single speed #brightside
    With my setup, 36/42=0.86 which is very close to your 22/25=0.88 which is like your 6th gear on a 10sp 11-36. A lot of people will run a smaller chainring up front (30, 32, 34), but I have very few climbs in my trails, so I don't miss them.

There is little to no chain slap (that I can tell or feel) with this setup as the X9 is clutched, but I do manage to drop my chain on the rare occasion going through extra bumpy sections while pedaling.

Edit: Hey, I went back and read your initial post above and saw that you are upgrading from a 2006 Trek 4300. I went from a '05 4300 to '13 Camber! You'll be blown away by this bike regardless of the weight!
    Last edited by fefillo; 10-23-2014 at 07:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have tested a stumpjumper before pruchasing my camber! The stumpjumper had Play in both wheels. Terrible... After I purchased my camber, I found out, that the front wheel had some Play (before the first ride!!!) I contacted the dealer and he toldme not to worry. The Problem will be fixed in the first inspection of the bike. My opinion is,that the roval hubs are likely to get Play, which does not seem very worthy.... I am also worried if the hubs on my camber expert evo will withstand the first 2 years. But if the Problem remains, I will request a warranty Change, which could also be a solution for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Which frame size is this? Even with the front derailleur (etc.), this seems a bit on the heavy side to me. For comparison, my large Enduro 29 is below 28 lbs (with tubes, without pedals).

To drop weight:
    1. Go tubeless
    2. Get rid of front derailleur
    3. Carbon bar

To me, a light MTB depends on the job:

A XC/race hardtail, like the Stumpjumper HT, should be below 22 lbs, ideally even below 20 lbs.
    A race full suspension, like the Epic, should be around ~23 lbs. Of course, if you go S-Works, you'll easily stay below that.
    My 26" Enduro weighs below 26.5 lbs.

I'd consider a 29er trail bike, like the Expert-level Camber or Stumpjumper, to be light at around 26-28 lbs.

mtbr member

I've done a few things mentioned above to reduce weight and a couple of things that added weight and right now my XL Comp Carbon weight is right at 28lbs. My 2012 alloy frame was closer to 32lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fefillo View Post
    With my setup, 36/42=0.86 which is very close to your 22/25=0.88 which is like your 6th gear on a 10sp 11-36. A lot of people will run a smaller chainring up front (30, 32, 34), but I have very few climbs in my trails, so I don't miss them.

There is little to no chain slap (that I can tell or feel) with this setup as the X9 is clutched, but I do manage to drop my chain on the rare occasion going through extra bumpy sections while pedaling.

Edit: Hey, I went back and read your initial post above and saw that you are upgrading from a 2006 Trek 4300. I went from a '05 4300 to '13 Camber! You'll be blown away by this bike regardless of the weight!
    I'm thinking a 1x setup would do me well for the next couple years given where I ride frequently. Some steep short climbs where I (very rarely) get in the small chain ring.

Forgot about the X9 clutch system (love that as well). Why is it rare to see the rubber 'chain guide' (just aft of chainring) on a 1x setup? Seems like most 2x have it.

It's like night and day between the the '06 Trek and this '14 Camber. It's like I went from a Geo Metro to a candy red Ferrari.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Are your wheels tubeless? I assume so but thought I would ask... And tires can make a big difference weight-wise. I have a (custom) Carbon Comp with Roval Control SLs and I'm around 3#+ lighter (rough estimate) with beefy tires - Butcher 2.3 front and GC 23. rear (tubeless).

1x11 rules. I can't imagine ever going back to 2x. The range is perfect - and adjustable with front chainrings. Quiet and smooth come to mind immediately.

I agree - forget the weight and go ride the thing!
    They are NOT tubeless *yet (still need to educate myself on how to make that happen). I'm guessing going tubeless would cut a bunch of weight?

I'd imagine once I go to a 1x I'll never look back to the 2x setup as well. Thanks for your .02 MostChillin!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Which frame size is this? Even with the front derailleur (etc.), this seems a bit on the heavy side to me. For comparison, my large Enduro 29 is below 28 lbs (with tubes, without pedals).

To drop weight:
    1. Go tubeless
    2. Get rid of front derailleur
    3. Carbon bar

To me, a light MTB depends on the job:

A XC/race hardtail, like the Stumpjumper HT, should be below 22 lbs, ideally even below 20 lbs.
    A race full suspension, like the Epic, should be around ~23 lbs. Of course, if you go S-Works, you'll easily stay below that.
    My 26" Enduro weighs below 26.5 lbs.

I'd consider a 29er trail bike, like the Expert-level Camber or Stumpjumper, to be light at around 26-28 lbs.
    Frame size is a Large. Your 3 suggestions seem easy enough. It will be fun to see exactly how much I can knock off eventually. For now, my butt needs to RIDE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post

I've done a few things mentioned above to reduce weight and a couple of things that added weight and right now my XL Comp Carbon weight is right at 28lbs. My 2012 alloy frame was closer to 32lbs.
    First off, that black on black looks AWESOME! 28lbs. Got it. I'm not *that far off. Thanks for the comparison.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Long time lurker first time poster. I got a used base-model '13 Camber 29 a year ago. I'm interested in trying tubeless (if possible) as my tires are due a refresh.

My bike has Alex Rims (24mm). Does anyone know exactly what I need to go tubeless on this bike? Or has anyone done it with these rims?

I've trawled the internets and I'm still unsure; I know I need tubeless valves and I've seen Specialized sell 2Bliss rim strip - but is this the same as the Stans tape people use? Do I need Stans tape and rim tape too? What width would I require of each?

Also tires - is a 2.2 ok on the back of this model bike? - I put the 2.3 off the front on there by accident and it rubbed a bit. And what would people recommend?

Thanks for any help/flaming in advance!

mtbr member
    You should review the tubeless tutorials in the wheels forum.

mtbr member
    Anyone here use there Camber for xc racing? I did my first race last week and had a blast. If i was to throw on a set of carbon wheels could the camber be a good bike for races now and again.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTassles View Post
    Long time lurker first time poster. I got a used base-model '13 Camber 29 a year ago. I'm interested in trying tubeless (if possible) as my tires are due a refresh.

My bike has Alex Rims (24mm). Does anyone know exactly what I need to go tubeless on this bike? Or has anyone done it with these rims?

I've trawled the internets and I'm still unsure; I know I need tubeless valves and I've seen Specialized sell 2Bliss rim strip - but is this the same as the Stans tape people use? Do I need Stans tape and rim tape too? What width would I require of each?

Also tires - is a 2.2 ok on the back of this model bike? - I put the 2.3 off the front on there by accident and it rubbed a bit. And what would people recommend?

Thanks for any help/flaming in advance!
    I converted my Camber base with Stan's tape, valve and sealant. The Ground Control 2bliss on the Alex rims where a bit tricky to get seated with just a floor pump, but with some soapy water and a lot of persistence they mounted fine.

mtbr member

Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread

I converted my Camber base with Stan's tape, valve and sealant. The Ground Control 2bliss on the Alex rims where a bit tricky to get seated with just a floor pump, but with some soapy water and a lot of persistence they mounted fine.
    A bit of advice. Use a presta-schader adapter and use an air compressor. Much easier.

mtbr member

Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Anyone here use there Camber for xc racing? I did my first race last week and had a blast. If i was to throw on a set of carbon wheels could the camber be a good bike for races now and again.
    Don't see why not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for that. Can you confirm what width tape you used? Did you use the rubber rim strip too?

Cheers.

mtbr member

Thanks for that. Can you confirm what width tape you used? Did you use the rubber rim strip too?

Cheers.
    First time I did it I used the Stan's rubber rim strips because I didn't know any better and it worked just fine but after a few months the place where the valve meets the strip got cut up by the rim.

Next time around I did it with tape but I can't remember which one... I want to say it was the wider one? 25mm?

mtbr member
    I've used Gorilla tape and just cut it down to fit. It worked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Long time lurker first time poster. I got a used base-model '13 Camber 29 a year ago. I'm interested in trying tubeless (if possible) as my tires are due a refresh.My bike has Alex Rims (24mm). Does anyone know exactly what I need to go tubeless on this bike? Or has anyone done it with these rims?I've trawled the internets and I'm still unsure; I know I need tubeless valves and I've seen Specialized sell 2Bliss rim strip - but is this the same as the Stans tape people use? Do I need Stans tape and rim tape too? What width would I require of each?Also tires - is a 2.2 ok on the back of this model bike? - I put the 2.3 off the front on there by accident and it rubbed a bit. And what would people recommend?Thanks for any help/flaming in advance!
    Hey man, I have the same model as you. I had endless problems after the shop converted my wheels to tubeless, lost pressure all the time, corroded spoke nipples (from the sealant getting where it shouldn't). I would have preferred to stay with tubes. I changed to ZTR Arch EX rims (Hope Pro2 hubs, DT spokes) and. It has been smiles ever since. What I noticed was how different the internal profile of the rims were, the ZTRs seem far more tubless friendly! I have 2.2 Saguaro's front and back now too. Huge difference, find them way better (feeling on the trail, under braking, cornering etc)than the Spez tyres as stock. Just my 2 c.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for that. Maybe I'll get someone at my local shop to look at it for me, or wait until I need new wheels then.

Thanks for all your help guys.

mtbr member
    I have better luck with the stans tape than the specialized tape. Tape usually can replace a rubber liner and save weight. Get stems with removable valve cores too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    @sml-2727: I am using the 2015 camber expert evo for XC purposes! It works great for Long distance rides and XC! In any case I would not go for an epic because of the "more relaxed" handling and Position on the camber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleCAD3 View Post
    @sml-2727: I am using the 2015 camber expert evo for XC purposes! It works great for Long distance rides and XC! In any case I would not go for an epic because of the "more relaxed" handling and Position on the camber.
    Im thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those, how much does it weigh? And what was your OTD price?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I bought a 2014 Camber Evo this year and love it. I ride 90% of the time on Bays Mountain which is a fast flowing ride with lots of roots and big climbs. There are some rocks but nothing super technical. Average ride is 10-12 miles. I have 350 dollars that I can dedicate to upgrading this bike and was looking to much smarter people than myself to help me decide the best place to upgrade the Camber. My first thought was to put I9 rear hub on the bike but is there a better place to put my money?