Page 59 of 113 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2824
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    For me, I did replace the shifters. I put SRAM X0 Grip Shift on. When I change the brakes, I will order a set of Shimano XT trekking levers from Europe and use the XT brakes with finned pads.

Why trekking levers? They are longer and should give much better hand position around the Gripshift.

Shifters are a very personal thing to choose. You either like thumbs or grip shift. If you like thumbs, you either like Shimano or SRAM. For me, I liked Shimano thumbs but my hands always hurt after a ride, so I switched back to grip shift and it all went away.
    Nice to see real changes to make a bike personal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After missing the deal I wanted on the reverb I kind of got sick of waiting to get the new post and swapped over my saddle to a Charge spoon anyway. It's white with red logo, so looks the part too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have been watching some YouTube vids on the Spesh SJ EVO, the UK one if it differs, anyway there isn't a UK camber EVO so wanted to ask:
    Was there a US camber EVO? (if so how did it differ from stock version)
    If not, has anyone made there own? ( if so, what changes did you make)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    There was a good write up on the '13 camber 29er (base model) in this months Mt. Bike Action.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dee View Post
    I have been watching some YouTube vids on the Spesh SJ EVO, the UK one if it differs, anyway there isn't a UK camber EVO so wanted to ask:
    Was there a US camber EVO? (if so how did it differ from stock version)
    If not, has anyone made there own? ( if so, what changes did you make)

Thanks.
    There is currently a Camber Carbon Evo. The Evo appears to be set up more for XC racing than a normal Camber. Lighter front fork (SID), lighter wheels, drops the dropper seat post and higher gearing (38/24 vs 36/22). Those are the only real difference so far as I can see on the Spec site...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    The EVO is a good direction for the camber I think, I would probably go that route over time. Or with a fox 34 with low travel, and syntace wide wheels and command post.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    As it stands, I would LOVE to have a Fox 34 with 120mm travel...I think you can reduce the travel of the plain 34 FLOAT 29.... but the question is, can it be reduced enough... 120 or 110?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Here is my Camber EVO. This pic was taken when brand new. A similar bike was offered in Europe last year, 2013 is the first year in the states. I think Spec should offer it a 1 x 10 like the other EVO's . I recently converted mine. I think it is a great bike.

[/IMG]
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Please till me why should I pick the camber over giant trance 29er? Because I cant decide one over the other

mtbr member
    New, i'd go with the the Trance.
    FWIW I've had a Trance 26 and currently ride a Reign. I bought the Camber 29er because it was used and cheap! I was looking at Anthems when I stumbled across mine. I was looking for more of an XC 29er and the Trance is more trail/AM

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Depending on how big you are, the Trance has a pretty high leverage ratio compared to the Camber. A clydesdale "theoretically" will be better suited to the Camber. This was my case... I am a big guy and the Giant bikes stood no chance under me.... the pressures required in the rear shock were just too high.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is currently a Camber Carbon Evo. The Evo appears to be set up more for XC racing than a normal Camber. Lighter front fork (SID), lighter wheels, drops the dropper seat post and higher gearing (38/24 vs 36/22). Those are the only real difference so far as I can see on the Spec site...
    Thanks for that info. I had been thinking of 'EVO' as in beefed up/more rugged - didn't know Spesh used it for other types too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rularn View Post
    Please till me why should I pick the camber over giant trance 29er? Because I cant decide one over the other
    What sort of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dee View Post
    What sort of riding do you do?

Well I consider my self to be a well rounded rider, I ride everything between pure XC endurance racing to All mountain tours. My local trails is not pure XC nor pure AM, somewhere in between where a camber would be perfect. But I also want a bike that can handle a week or two in the alps where the terrain is a bit more rough.
    I think a bit more travel would help, but I dont want to take the XC potential away. Im not into competition in any way but a sumpjumper would be to much I guess when Im not doing these alptours.
    Last edited by rularn; 01-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Depending on how big you are, the Trance has a pretty high leverage ratio compared to the Camber. A clydesdale "theoretically" will be better suited to the Camber. This was my case... I am a big guy and the Giant bikes stood no chance under me.... the pressures required in the rear shock were just too high.
    Im 192 cm and ~90 kgs (6'4 and 200 lbs), would that be to much for a Trance to handle? Damn, its to many good bikes out there

The camber looks awesome, but I dont know how rough terrain it can handle. I've seen a few of them crack (seat tube). It doesnt mean that I'm not trusting specialized to offer me a new frame if that happen but the Camber might not be constructed for a week or two in the alps.
    Last edited by rularn; 01-11-2013 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think to beat trance is the stumpjumper fsr

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    At 200, you would be fine on just about any bike. Most mfgs plan on up to 250lbs.

If I were your size, it would come more down to the LBS that would be supporting me. Around me, there are no shops selling Spec and Giant, so it would be one or the other (although some sell Spec and Trek).

I really think the real comparison would be better made between the trance and the Stumpy FSR. Then you would simply need to test ride both and decide. The rear suspension is completely different and you may like one over the other by a good margin... read all you want online, but test ride everything you can before deciding, you will be happy you did.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member

Q

At 200, you would be fine on just about any bike. Most mfgs plan on up to 250lbs.

If I were your size, it would come more down to the LBS that would be supporting me. Around me, there are no shops selling Spec and Giant, so it would be one or the other (although some sell Spec and Trek).

I really think the real comparison would be better made between the trance and the Stumpy FSR. Then you would simply need to test ride both and decide. The rear suspension is completely different and you may like one over the other by a good margin... read all you want online, but test ride everything you can before deciding, you will be happy you did.
    Test rides are key.... however, a test ride in a parking lot over some curbs or parking blocks, a few bunny hops... that doesn't tell you the whole story. Some shops offer a "demo program", you pay $X.XX and take the demo bike for a day, two days, three days, depending on what the shop offers... some will allow you to swap between the available demo bikes during the period of time you've paid for. A lot of times this money goes towards the purchase of a bike (not an extra cost). My advice... find a shop that will let you demo these bikes, ideally one shop with both, or, find a friend(s) with these bikes who will let you swap with him out on the trail and get at least a good 15-20 minutes of saddle time, on dirt, over rocks, at speed..... get some climbs, get some descents. If you can get a real back to back experience on the bikes, you'll know which you like better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    There was a good write up on the '13 camber 29er (base model) in this months Mt. Bike Action.
    The January issue? I looked at it on the newsstand and could not find a review.

mtbr member
    February maybe? I just got it at home last week. Read it and threw it away. Do home subscriptions get released before newsstands or visa versa? There was a good review of the Trance 29er too.

Edit: I just looked it up online, and it's the Feb issue.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt View Post
    Test rides are key.... ~snip~.
    I should have been more clear.... take them on a demo ride. That's what made my mind up on a FS over a HT... I paid $50 to demo ride a base 2012 Camber 29 and the money was applied to the new bike purchase.

If one shop doesn't have both, just chalk the $50 you *may* lose to one shop or the other riding both bikes as to a cost incurred in making sure you were 100% happy. Money well spent IMHO.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    February maybe? I just got it at home last week. Read it and threw it away. Do home subscriptions get released before newsstands or visa versa? There was a good review of the Trance 29er too.

Edit: I just looked it up online, and it's the Feb issue.

It is February, I have it on Ipad. It is base 3 ring Camber, 32.2lbs. still a good review of a Camber's capabilities.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does anyone know if the 110 mm Fox Float on the 2012 Camber Comp can be changed to 120 mm?

Fox doesn't offer any 110 mm forks, which makes me think that this is a 120 mm fork with a spacer in it. Is this true?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Okay Camber owners -- I have been struggling over which bike to get for months. I have cleaned out my garage to the point where I only have 1 bike in the quiver (I wake up with cold sweats on a regular basis) and want to add a FS 29er. My single ride is a '12 S-Works HT.

I've been riding 20 years and have the skills to ride my HT anywhere I want to go, but enjoy having options. I would say I'm an aggressive XC type that enjoys the reward of carving a nice descent after the climb. I am drawn to the Camber on paper, but it's just not quite calling out to me in-person (throwing a leg over).

Am I missing anything between the '13 Epic Marathon and either a '13 Camber Expert or Camber Expert EVO R -- again XC instincts pointing to EVO R. Really want to hear how well the Camber climbs compared to the Epic or my current HT.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rjcsocal; 01-14-2013 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhan View Post
    Does anyone know if the 110 mm Fox Float on the 2012 Camber Comp can be changed to 120 mm?

Fox doesn't offer any 110 mm forks, which makes me think that this is a 120 mm fork with a spacer in it. Is this true?
    Still waiting on somebody to pull thier forks apart.

Page 59 of 113 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast