• 09-24-2014
    sml-2727
    For SLX Rotors and two adapters its going to cost me almost 70 bucks, after my last ride and the brakes not lining up right, it kinda scared up the original rotors so im better off with new ones.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • 09-24-2014
    Trail_Blazer
    If your interested I have a brand new set of slx rotors for sale that I got for my 2nd wheelset that I'm selling because I never used them on my Camber 29er.
    I will throw in 2 shimano adapters free if you like.
  • 09-24-2014
    RUSOR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikewadley View Post
    Rusor; I like that helmet, which one is it? I don't know about you but the more I ride my EVO, the more I like it.

Hello, I asked my friend and it's a CASCO helmet.

The Evo is really a fun bike :)
  • 09-25-2014
    Dangur
    I've got a 2013 camber comp, stock, except for pedals. So I've got the Reba RL fork and the Monarch in back.

How much action are you getting out of your Monarch? Even on the gnarliest trails, popping small jumps (2 feet of air max), the red rubber ring thingy shows I still have about 1cm of travel left to go. I can't get any more air out of my shock using the autosag feature... Any thoughts?
  • 09-25-2014
    Bike&Fish
    That is all the travel. I wondered the same long ago. Asked my LBS and got that answer.
  • 09-26-2014
    Knight511
    You can always verify the max travel by letting all of the air out of the shock and see where the oring lands.
  • 09-26-2014
    Flash
    Damn. I'm an inbetweener. I had a 2012 large 29er. Eventually sold it because it was too long. Back hurt on steep climbs. I'm usually great at bike set up but just couldn't get it right. Rode a few other brands and now I'm looking at a 2013 Camber Comp. Once again despite minor geometry changes the large feels too long. Medium feels too short. At 5'11", IS 32 I'm thinking medium with set back post and 90mm stem. I really love the rear suspension and Camber feel so I've been wanting to get back on one.
  • 09-26-2014
    JOHNRB
    As I've been posting, I have been thinking of extending the travel on my fork or upgrading. I decided to get it extended and my LBS did it for a few hundred bucks. Took it for a run today. What a difference, not night and day mind you more like dawn and day difference, but the extra travel and rebuild made the Reba feel plusher and the change in Geo is the thing I enjoyed the most. Things just felt a little more doable and confident. I am running a 2013 Reba.
  • 09-27-2014
    LukeSPOOK
    I'm 5'10" and run a Medium 2013 Camber with a 120mm Reba Solo Air and a 90mm stem.
    Liking the bike more and more as suspension frees up a little more with use.
    Found the Camber works at its best when you push it a little harder !
  • 09-27-2014
    TomW in KC
    Thinking about converting to Shimano XT Brakes
    I have a '14 Camber Expert Carbon Evo and I am considering coverting to Shimano XT brakes. Can someone with a '15 Camber Expert Carbon EVO tell me what Mismatch adapter is being used to link the X01 shift Lever to the brake levers?
  • 09-29-2014
    oliosky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNRB View Post
    As I've been posting, I have been thinking of extending the travel on my fork or upgrading. I decided to get it extended and my LBS did it for a few hundred bucks. Took it for a run today. What a difference, not night and day mind you more like dawn and day difference, but the extra travel and rebuild made the Reba feel plusher and the change in Geo is the thing I enjoyed the most. Things just felt a little more doable and confident. I am running a 2013 Reba.

how much did you extend the reba by? and what is the part number if you dont mind me asking?
  • 09-29-2014
    JOHNRB
    I extended it to 120. Was thinking of going to 130 but thought the Geo may have changed a bit to much for how the Camber is designed, but may have been ok. I measured the head angle and it's a bit under 69.5 degrees. Just after one ride on a track I have ridden a lot, I think it was worth it. Sorry don't know the parts number it was all handled by my Local Bike Shop, but they had to order 2 parts one for the Rebound adjuster and the Dampener assembly.
  • 09-29-2014
    sml-2727
    Hey guys, I have read in other threads people swapping out there rear triangle with a EVO triangle. Is it really that easy? does this turn a regular spec to a EVO model? I would think the EVO models have different geometry all together. If it is really that easy, where could I purchase this?

I did not read it on a thread I saw it on Ebay!
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite EVO 29 LRG RockShox Monarch RC3 Pike Lev | eBay
  • 09-29-2014
    themtbcat
    I believe the part you have to swap to convert it into an evo is a rear suspension link and not the rear triangle. but not 100% sure
  • 09-30-2014
    kevbeer
    Hi I have a 2012 camber comp 26. I am getting ready to update the crankset, rear cassette, and chain. What do you guys think about this:

Shimano FC-M590 Deore 170mm 2-pcs Crank & BB 22-32-44, Black
    SRAM PG-990 9-Speed Cassette - 11X34
    SRAM PC 971 Chain - 9-Speed

Thanks
  • 09-30-2014
    aznmode
    Re: Official Specialized Camber Thread
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    Hi I have a 2012 camber comp 26. I am getting ready to update the crankset, rear cassette, and chain. What do you guys think about this:

Shimano FC-M590 Deore 170mm 2-pcs Crank & BB 22-32-44, Black
    SRAM PG-990 9-Speed Cassette - 11X34
    SRAM PC 971 Chain - 9-Speed

Thanks

I have a 2011 and upgraded to shamans SLX crank. Sram 990 cassette and sram 991 chain. Besides lighter weight. I couldn't tell much difference from stock.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  • 09-30-2014
    themtbcat
    If you are upgrading the drivetrain I might suggest spending the little extra dough and going 10 speed or at least 1x
  • 09-30-2014
    kevbeer
    thanks aznmode, interesting...how much wait did it shed, ball park?

thanks themtbcat, but no thanks. im just looking to replace worn 3x9 parts with slightly better 3x9 parts, leaving shifters and derailleurs as is. I cant hang with 1x or even 2x honestly. and 10 spd...that upgrade essentially costs more than this bike used cost me.
  • 09-30-2014
    uppo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    That is BS. A Shimano Rotor is shaped just like an Avid rotor.
    180mm is 180mm.
    6 bolt is a standard for all wheel hubs and rotors.

Get the right adapter online and install it then go show the LBS how dumb they are.

180mm is 180mm. But Avid is 185 and shimano is 180. Not the same.
  • 10-01-2014
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by uppo View Post
    180mm is 180mm. But Avid is 185 and shimano is 180. Not the same.

Avid has been using 180 rotors for 3-4 years.

But you also need to check the rotor brake track width. Some are much narrower than others and you do not want too much of pad hanging off the inside.

Plus some calipers will not clear the center carrier of some of the two piece rotors.
  • 10-01-2014
    sml-2727
    Quote:

Originally Posted by themtbcat View Post
    I believe the part you have to swap to convert it into an evo is a rear suspension link and not the rear triangle. but not 100% sure

After a little more research you are correct, but finding the parts is another thing.
  • 10-01-2014
    Trail_Blazer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    finding the parts is another thing.

My LBS said they would order the parts for me if they are available from Spec. Have you looked at that route yet?
  • 10-01-2014
    aznmode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    thanks aznmode, interesting...how much wait did it shed, ball park?

I would say about a pound to pound and half.

• 10-01-2014
    kevbeer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I would say about a pound to pound and half.

nice...1.0 lb loss would totally be worth the +$100 on part cost considering I am already going to be replacing worn components anyway....
  • 10-02-2014
    googas7070
    Quote:

Well I took my bike with me to the LBS and asked if they have any adapters in stock, well if course they did not, but he insisted that the Avid rotors on the Camber will not work with Shimano brakes. He tells me they will never line up perfectly and I will most likely go through more pads. Is this a load of BS? or is he right, after looking up prices for Shimano rotors Im going to just buy new rotors, there pretty cheap.

I have the original Avid rotors on my Camber Comp using Shimano brakes. No problems at all.
  • 10-02-2014
    scottie mac
    Buddy has run his with avid rotors and xt brakes without issue. Once he switched to ice tech rotors, the brakes did seem to stop a little better.

SM
  • 10-02-2014
    Knight511
    I just put my new brake order in.... time to get rid of the Elixer 3R filth. LoL

Front: Shimano Saint M820 lever/caliper squeezing a 203mm rotor
    Rear: Shimano SLX M675 squeezing a 180mm rotor

:) Just waiting for them to get here from CRC.
  • 10-03-2014
    JCL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Damn. I'm an inbetweener. I had a 2012 large 29er. Eventually sold it because it was too long. Back hurt on steep climbs. I'm usually great at bike set up but just couldn't get it right. Rode a few other brands and now I'm looking at a 2013 Camber Comp. Once again despite minor geometry changes the large feels too long. Medium feels too short. At 5'11", IS 32 I'm thinking medium with set back post and 90mm stem. I really love the rear suspension and Camber feel so I've been wanting to get back on one.

No no no no no!

Go large and run the shortest stem you can handle. I have a 40mm and 780mm bar and I'm 5'8" on a medium.

There are NO disadvantages apart from the extra frame weight.
  • 10-03-2014
    aznmode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    No no no no no!

Go large and run the shortest stem you can handle. I have a 40mm and 780mm bar and I'm 5'8" on a medium.

There are NO disadvantages apart from the extra frame weight.

I'm in between small and medium but felt more agile on a small so that's the size I ended up with and switched the stem to a 100mm. Wonder if I should've gone the other way around.

• 10-05-2014
    JCL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I'm in between small and medium but felt more agile on a small so that's the size I ended up with and switched the stem to a 100mm. Wonder if I should've gone the other way around.

One mans agile is another's twitchy ;)

I'm up in BC and like as much weight behind the front axle as possible. There used to be a disadvantage in running such short stems when climbing steep tech (which was mostly imagined, seat angle was far more critical, but that's another story:) ) but whit 29" the extra BB drop puts so much mass (the rider!) below the axle centreline that the bikes don't rock back on rear travel causing the front to go light.

The bikes are already quite long in reach and a wider bar can easily triangulate your arms which spreads your weight more forward.

Give it a go next time.
  • 10-08-2014
    sml-2727
    Hey guys I was thinking of upgrading to the SRAM 1x11 and wanted to know if I needed anything special done to my bike first before I go this route. bike is a 2013 camber comp..... Or I might just go the oneup method being it is a lot cheaper.
  • 10-08-2014
    mikewadley
    I have both setups and I would recommend saving money and doing the oneup conversion. There's not enough difference to justify the extra cost.
    Quote:

Hey guys I was thinking of upgrading to the SRAM 1x11 and wanted to know if I needed anything special done to my bike first before I go this route. bike is a 2013 camber comp..... Or I might just go the oneup method being it is a lot cheaper.

• 10-08-2014
    sml-2727
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikewadley View Post
    I have both setups and I would recommend saving money and doing the oneup conversion. There's not enough difference to justify the extra cost.

Thanks. I have the 1X10 set up now with a 32t front and have been getting tired on long rides, so I just through my front derailleur back on and went back to 2x10, I gotta admit the extra gears are nice. Will going to a 30T up front and oneup and the rear be just as good? also did you go with a 40 or 42 in the rear?

I also want to put on a new crank but not sure what to get, I found a few nice raceface ones on ebay but not sure if they are bb30 or not, have you ever dealt with the bb30 adaptors?
  • 10-08-2014
    neblackb
    Official Specialized Camber Thread

Just got my Camber Expert Carbon Evo frame in. Can't wait to built it up and hopefully ride it before it gets too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 10-08-2014
    sml-2727
    Quote:

Originally Posted by neblackb View Post

Just got my Camber Expert Carbon Evo frame in. Can't wait to built it up and hopefully ride it before it gets too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sweet, im thinking of doing the same for my next bike.
  • 10-08-2014
    mikewadley
    I went overboard and put an XX1 crank and 28T up front and a 40T/16T Oneup conversion on the back. I saved over a pound of weight which made a huge improvement in the bikes performance.

Quote:

Thanks. I have the 1X10 set up now with a 32t front and have been getting tired on long rides, so I just through my front derailleur back on and went back to 2x10, I gotta admit the extra gears are nice. Will going to a 30T up front and oneup and the rear be just as good? also did you go with a 40 or 42 in the rear?

I also want to put on a new crank but not sure what to get, I found a few nice raceface ones on ebay but not sure if they are bb30 or not, have you ever dealt with the bb30 adaptors?

• 10-08-2014
    mikewadley
    Love that color scheme!

Quote:

Pretty sweet, im thinking of doing the same for my next bike.

• 10-09-2014
    aaron_reigler
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 930014
    My 2011 Camber Elite in it's most current state. Upgrades include:
    3x9 XT/SLX/Alivio replaced with RaceFace NW 36t on XT crankset, Along with X9 RD and Shifter, 1x9
    Crankbros Seatpost
    Specialized Carbon XC bar paired with a SL stem
    SLX brakes, replaced the junk Avid Elixers I was never happy with
    Stan's Arch wheels laced to X9 hubs, tubeless with Fast Trak 2.2 front, SW Renegade 1.95 rear (not pictured)
    With not much being left stock beyond the suspension it's sits around the 27.3lb range, surprisingly. For the trails I ride and races I do it's been a great bike and well set-up.
  • 10-09-2014
    sml-2727
    Anyone run a Butcher on the rear and front on there Camber? Right now im running the Ground control 2.1 on the rear and Butcher 2.3 on the front.
  • 10-10-2014
    Trail_Blazer
    When I tried a Butcher on my rear wasnt so great at climbing and cornering. The GC is a better Rear tire.
  • 10-10-2014
    sml-2727
    Quote:

When I tried a Butcher on my rear wasnt so great at climbing and cornering. The GC is a better Rear tire.

Was it a GC 2.1 or 2.3? Most people seem to go with the slaughter on the rear.
  • 10-10-2014
    Trail_Blazer
    Quote:

Was it a GC 2.1 or 2.3? Most people seem to go with the slaughter on the rear.

I have every format of GC from 1.9 2.1 2.3 Sworks Regular and Grid. They all work flawlessly for me. The only diff between these is weight from thinner side casing and size width.
  • 10-13-2014
    Shardizzle
    guys, i have a 2013 camber comp. i was adjusting the shock pressure, i wanted to pump it up 5 psi, when i heard a sound akin to shooting a bb gun. The autosag valve shot off, and i am still looking for it. what i think happened is that the silver/grey cover might have come off while i was riding, maybe because of a branch, then the actual inside of the valve is what shot off in my garage. the shock does not hold air now. i hope this is warranty-able. has this happened to anyone here?
  • 10-13-2014
    matuchi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shardizzle View Post
    guys, i have a 2013 camber comp. i was adjusting the shock pressure, i wanted to pump it up 5 psi, when i heard a sound akin to shooting a bb gun. The autosag valve shot off, and i am still looking for it. what i think happened is that the silver/grey cover might have come off while i was riding, maybe because of a branch, then the actual inside of the valve is what shot off in my garage. the shock does not hold air now. i hope this is warranty-able. has this happened to anyone here?

Are you talking about the valve core?

If you are you should be able to buy another one and put it back in with a valve core tool.
  • 10-13-2014
    Trail_Blazer
    Yea the valve core is easy to replace.
  • 10-13-2014
    Shardizzle
    I don't know if they would sell autosag valve cores. I think you guys are talking about the Schrader valve to put air in the shock. On the autosag valve, there's a silver thing you unscrew and push in to have it set the sag. There's also an internal core, which shot off when I tried to put some air in. I'm going to lbs today to see what can be done
  • 10-13-2014
    Trail_Blazer
    That stinks. Gotta keep that autosag button tightened.
  • 10-13-2014
    Shardizzle
    Quote:

That stinks. Gotta keep that autosag button tightened.

No joke. Lbs said warranty might apply, but 2 or 3 weeks is the expected turn around. Guess that's better than $300 for a new shock :(
  • 10-15-2014
    cannondaleCAD3
    I am also thinking of changing the Butcher tire to the rear and run the GC in front. The reason for this: The Butcher is throwing tons of sand, Stones and gravel into my face. I hope the GC will perform better. If it Comes to traction and cornering I never had a tire which was better than the Butcher. Does anyone use the GC as an front tire and the butcher in the rear? Thx
  • 10-15-2014
    MostChillin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cannondaleCAD3 View Post
    I am also thinking of changing the Butcher tire to the rear and run the GC in front. The reason for this: The Butcher is throwing tons of sand, Stones and gravel into my face. I hope the GC will perform better. If it Comes to traction and cornering I never had a tire which was better than the Butcher. Does anyone use the GC as an front tire and the butcher in the rear? Thx

I just got a used Camber Comp Carbon (highly upgraded - pics coming) and haven't had a ride on it yet but it has a 2.3 Butcher in the front with a 2.3 GC in the rear. I'll post my impressions once I get a couple of rides in...

That being said, with regard to sand, stones, etc. getting kicked-up... I live in a location that has a fair amount of sand and was experiencing the same situation with different tires in the front of my hardtail. I installed a Mucky Nutz short fender and it has all but eliminated the issue. There is another similar option in a Marsh Guard (basically the same thing just different brands). You may want to give that a shot before you give up on the Butcher in the front that you seem to like very much.

Can't wait to get on my new Camber. Have a few upgrades arriving the next couple of days before pics and shake down rides this weekend.

And I publically need to eat crow because I said I would never own or ride a Specialized... I test rode the Camber last Spring and really enjoyed it but couldn't overcome my distaste for the brand. And then I had another shot on one a few weeks ago and just couldn't ignore anymore what an exceptional bike this is - especially for the riding that I do. So I found an excellent deal on a barely ridden used Comp Carbon with Pike RCT3, Reverb, Roval SLs and full XO so I pulled the trigger. Stoked.