Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3155
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dee View Post
    For those of you with a triad II rear shock. How often do you need to get it serviced? I don't mean just by fox guidelines. Rather in reality.
    On my 2008 Stumpy (which had a triad), I had the shocks torn down every two seasons. Your LBS and Fox will claim to get it done much more frequently, but I was in college and on a tight budget. I average about 50 rides a season 1 to 5 hours per ride. Always seemed to run fine, but that's just me. This is what Fox says. Service Intervals

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. That was the very sort of info I was after.

My Camber is my first FS, although I have been mtbing since mid 80's and ridden a fair few. I was a bit shocked (did you see what I did there?! ) by the service intervals on some kit. I do still have my steel ht with coil fork for those grab and go rides, etc.

I am impressed that the Camber is the most 'right at home' bike I have had since a Fisher I bought in 1990 so can't complain too much!
    Last edited by Super Dee; 12-03-2012 at 02:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if you can eventually upgrade the fork on a carbon model to get a tad more travel on it without voiding the warrantly?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Please help blown triad ii upgrade,

I'm now going to be on my second Triad II...dealer replaced the first one...

Specs are 7.875x1.9

Can the FOX Float CTD 7.875 x 2.0 bolt up?

I don't want to have to customize the shock and have it sent out.... I found a deal one one and want to know if I should grab it.

Bike is a 2011 Camber Pro 29er, small frame.

mtbr member
    I just weighed an XL Camber 29er yesterday - 33 pounds!!! And I thought they said the newer models were going to be lighter!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    I just weighed an XL Camber 29er yesterday - 33 pounds!!! And I thought they said the newer models were going to be lighter!
    Which model Camber? The lower-end Cambers will weight a lot more than the carbon models which have a lighter frame and lighter components. The fact that it is an XL means it will be a bit heftier as well.

mtbr member
    I have 29er expert carbon evo, 26 #'s tubeless. It should be less when I go 1 x 10.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=GnarBrahWyo;9928253]Which model Camber? The lower-end Cambers will weight a lot more than the carbon models which have a lighter frame and lighter components. The fact that it is an XL means it will be a bit heftier as well.[/QUOT

It was the lowest end model....M5 aluminium or something like that.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    It was the lowest end model....M5 aluminium or something like that.
    What year? The lowest model 2012 29er frame is actually the 2011 frame. I have one of those, and it was 31 lbs for a medium stock with pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just a bit of weight info. Maybe useful for people looking at last years model on clearout or second hand even.

My lbs weighed a 26 Camber Comp in large for me when I was looking to go for either that or the Elite model. The Comp was 32lb without pedals and the Elite as near as possible to 2lb lighter.

I ended up with a stonking deal on the Exert though. We didn't weight this one till it had pedals and a bottle cage on it but it came in at 28lb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Evening all, just thought i'd share my (almost finished) 29er build.

The concept started a few months back, looking for a bike with around 2500 budget for mostly trail with some XC and rougher rocky/rooty action.

At 6'4'' I'm definitely in the XL size frame however was struggling to find bikes in my size with a 29er option.

I looked initially at a Stumpy Comp EVO 29er but Specialized don't stock it in the UK and it was a little on the extreme side of my riding. I also looked at a Cannondale Scalpel 3 Alloy but couldn't get one in a XL size. I did however really like the Lefty concept so set out to build a mix and match of what i liked in the bikes i was looking at.

My basic requirements were FS Alloy MTB with 29'' wheels, around 110mm travel with a Lefty set up if possible and decent brakes to slow my not inconsiderable bulk down. Oh yeah, my 2500 budget also stood.

Looking around, the 2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er really started to stand out. Heavily discounted from 2400 to 1700 it had most of what i wanted except forks and brakes. Purchased online, i immediately sold the fox forks (375), Avid Exilir 7 Brakes (100) and the standard SLX shifters (50) bringing my outlay down to 1175.

A brand new XLR140 Carbon from Qwerty cycles (top customer service!) was ordered coming in at 820 delivered! teamed to a tapered Project321 Stem (circa 100). I had my LBS re-lace the still new Specialized wheel to a standard Cannondale lefty Hub and chucked some brand new XT shifters on since they were a good price (10 more than i got for my brand new SLX items).

Perusing Chain-Reactions clearance pages, i spotted some Formula the ONE10 Ltd edition brakes reduced to 320 for both front and rear delivered so they were swiftly ordered!

Chucking the lot together over the last few weeks as the parts have turned up, they is how its looking:

Total price is a touch over my budget but i'm happy with the spec i've ended up with.

I just need to re-shim the fork to 29er spec and am awaiting delivery of a remotely adjustable seat-post to finish the build off. The brakes are spaced correctly with stainless washers at the moment but will be replaced with turned aluminum spacers.

Now, a good day out to set it up properly and start having some fun on it!
    Pete

mtbr member
    hmm..a Specialized with a Lefty, equipped with a mix of Sram, Shimano and Formula components...interesting

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Killer bike, thats sweeter than a S-WORKS! Hows that lefty ride? Are those formulas squeal free, unlike the Avids?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I haven't had the chance to try it yet, Just waiting on the dropper post and some time off work to get out on it. I'm not 100% sure they wont squeal as the avid disks are still on there but if it does squeal i'll upgrade them to something more suited to the caliper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks great. Nice to see another UK owner.

What dropper post are you going for?

Also, not sure if the 29ers suffer the same but I can't see why they wouldn't, which is rear brake cable rub on the inside of the chainstay. You can read on the previous page or so about what I did as prevention.

Enjoy the new bike.

I Ride Bikes
    My 2012 Specialized Camber
    This is a pic from my latest conquer this past weekend. Me and my buddies were the first ever to conquer this mountain on bikes. Under that metal sign is the surveying pin. Pretty awesome feeling when we reached the summit.

I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    My 2012 Specialized Camber
    This is a pic from my latest conquer this past weekend. Me and my buddies were the first ever to conquer this mountain on bikes. Under that metal sign is the surveying pin. Pretty awesome feeling when we reached the summit.

Was that single track going up? How do you like your Camber for AM riding, compard to a Stumpy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    What year? The lowest model 2012 29er frame is actually the 2011 frame. I have one of those, and it was 31 lbs for a medium stock with pedals.
    This was the new 2013 model....it was an XL but still 33 pounds seems like alot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks great. Nice to see another UK owner.

What dropper post are you going for?

Also, not sure if the 29ers suffer the same but I can't see why they wouldn't, which is rear brake cable rub on the inside of the chainstay. You can read on the previous page or so about what I did as prevention.

Enjoy the new bike.
    I wasn't aware of the chain stay rubbing issues but i did have concerns about the control cables rubbing around the headstock of the bike. My plan is to apply a layer of blade tape in this area (and on the chain stay now you've given me the heads up). A clear abrasive resistant strip i use it in work to protect the leading edge of helicopter rotor blades from erosion so this should do the job perfectly and is periodically replaceable.

I've ordered a chinese copy of the ICE Lift V8. MBR magazine gave it a 9/10 review score. The chinese copy appears identical in every way (indeed its probably made on the same production line). I'll swap out any fasteners for Ti/ Stainless as my experience of chinese products (mainly motorcycle parts) is of decent manufacture marred by poor fasteners.

This design also features some features i prefer over more expensive models. The traveling surfaces are protected by a rubber boot similar to that found on the lefty which should help protect the moving surfaces and prevent seizing due to dirt ingress. Similarly the cable entry/activation mechanism is all internal and not exposed like many designs again increasing reliability, indeed the entry point looks like it cab be positioned fore of the seat-stay so reduce the level of dirt thrown onto the entrance from the rear wheel. The entry point for the control cable is also at the bottom of the post which will allow for a more permanent cable routing with no cable movement when the seat is raised and lowered. This should prevent frame finish wear caused by a movement. Oh yeh, its also 65 not 300, worth a try i think!

Fresh Produce: ICE Lift V8 Seatpost

2013 TMARS Remote Adjustable Seat Post 31.6X425mm / 27.2X425mm | eBay

Pete

Competent User

New Brakes on Camber

Question for those of you ditched your Avid brakes (yes, I've tried everything. Seriously). I'm going to put some SLX or XT brakes on the bike, depending on specials and sales in the coming months, and I wanted to know what else I need besides the brakes in terms of mounting up the Shimanos. For example, do I need a new adapter for the 180mm front brake, or can I use the one that's on it? What about the 160 rear? Do I need the IS mount for Shimano, or will the current hardware do the job?

I know I can get the Ice Tech rotors, and probably will, and that I don't want centerlock.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the reply Yamirider.

Let me know how you get on with the dropper post - I recall seeing the ICE one in MBR as I have bought the last couple of issues as they had my Camber Expert in them. In my previous posts on this thread you might have seen Danny's Camber from MBR too.

I got the info on the brake rub from a couple of UK based forums and thought prevention is better than cure.

Let us know how you get on with the dropper. It is something I want to add. I am pretty sold on the Spesh Command version but its good to compare / keep the options open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @ Mazukea - great pics - my son will love them btw as he is Hawaii crazy atm. (big Hawaii five-0 fan)

What pedals do you have?

I Ride Bikes
    @ Mazukea - great pics - my son will love them btw as he is Hawaii crazy atm. (big Hawaii five-0 fan)

What pedals do you have?

I currently have the Spike Spank pedals. I really wish I had clipless pedals for this ride cause some of the climbing was intense. Not very technical, but steep. I just can't decide which pedals to get.

Here's another pic of that ride. In the background is Hualalai. That haze is the picture is vog. It was pretty bad on Sunday cause the south winds were kicking it straight up the coastline

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Was that single track going up? How do you like your Camber for AM riding, compard to a Stumpy?
    It was double track going up. It changed from broken asphalt, to rocks, to dirt, to grass, then powdery dirt, to loose rocks, then it got really steep. I was in granny gear wishing that I had a couple of more granny gears. lol. The last mile up was killer.

I never had a Stumpy, this is actually my first bike. The Camber is doing great for the riding that I do. I noticed that on the downhills my 29er is fast compared to my friends 26ers. I really don't have to pedal to catch up to them. In fact, I usually have to apply my brakes if I'm behind them or else I will be right on top of them. I don't know if that is just a 29er thing though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great pic and thanks for the info on the pedals.

What were your riding buddies riding?

Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast