Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647
Results 4,601 to 4,669 of 4669
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New question here. Fork issues..

So my brand new Camber Comp Carbon has done a few rides, not much, a total of 260km. Probably about 10 hours total. I've gone really easy stuff with it, since I have a Stumpy for gnar.

Noticed on yesterday's ride, that theres a distinct "click/clunk" noise from the fork. Rattles when riding over bumps/roots, and I can provoke the noise by pushing on the handlebars and letting go. It comes as the fork rebounds. Only occurs if the compression dial is set fully open. Before the last ride, I added 2-3 clicks of rebound damping, because I felt it was a bit bouncy. Apart from that, I haven't touched it.
    It also makes the "wheezing" sound on rebound, has done so from the start. Not sure if I had this on any other RS forks. And no - it's not the head tube bearings.

Is this normal, or another monday-solo-air-fork from RS? I've owned 5 Specialized FSRs since 2012, and all of them have had fork issues (Solo air Rebas, Pike, and Revelations) requiring early/frequent service, and two of them got replaced on warranty since the service center couldn't fix the issues.

I'll try and reset the rebound knob tonight and see if the noise goes away.

Bloody annoying, since my Stumpy is out of service (shock in for 2nd service in under a year, loses rebound all together).

mtbr member
    2018 Camber? I just noticed that J Graves ran a Camber 29 at Sea Otter, with a custom Ohlins shock, Ohlins 140 29 fork, and largish volume 27.5 wheels. This was for the dual slalom event, but might it be hints of Camber mods for next year?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    He just created a frankenbike to suit the races at Sea Otter. Seemed to work quite well for him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Speaking of frankencambers - since my fork had to go to the shop, I fitted the 140mm Revelation RCT3 from my Stumpy (rear shock in for service..). Contrary to what many people say, it works just fine. I've done all types of trails, even some gravel and asphalt, and the bike really dosn't feel that different. Steering seems quicker, perhaps because the donor for has 46mm offset, and the original is at 51.
    Slammed the stem to get an ok riding position.
    It's better on downhills, slightly less livel on climbs and accel, but I'd have no propbs running this setup permanently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    Speaking of frankencambers - since my fork had to go to the shop, I fitted the 140mm Revelation RCT3 from my Stumpy (rear shock in for service..). Contrary to what many people say, it works just fine. I've done all types of trails, even some gravel and asphalt, and the bike really dosn't feel that different. Steering seems quicker, perhaps because the donor for has 46mm offset, and the original is at 51.
    Slammed the stem to get an ok riding position.
    It's better on downhills, slightly less livel on climbs and accel, but I'd have no propbs running this setup permanently.
    On the new bikes The front triangles of camber/stumpjumper are the same, so other than warranty liability big company BS would it not be that a camber can be modded to literally be a stumpjumper? Its the same bike. Your rear suspension setup will affect things? But point is adding a 140 mm fork to a camber is no issue at all! Heck, 150 would peobably work if you took into account head tube spacers, trail/fork offset, etc.

Coming from me, i added travel to my fork, added an offset bushing to slacken the bike out, added plus tires...my bike is basically just like jared graves "frankenbike". Its friggin awesome is what it is. Rides amazing well and more stable.

Frankly, my opinion is a stock 650b sucks sorta. Its really twitchy and unstable. It needs a longer wheelbase, 29er, or plus tires.

Id say all the mods i did truely made the bike the way it shohld have been stock from specialized (im now in the boat that its either plus or 29er, 650b is dead to me unless you ride enduro or downhill).

I dont see any purpose in a 130 mm or less regular 650b bike, with a 68 degree HA (steep by todays standards) and super short 1119 cm wheelbase. That whole equasion spells twitchy as hell. Which is exactly how my stock bike was. I didnt like my stock revelation without adding travel and bottomless tokens. Basically, i like the foundation of the bike i bought, but my bike now rides so reduculously different (better) i dont even think i can call it a Camber any more. But in a GOOD way.

Disclaimer - in now way am i encouraging people to mod their bikes in any way to void their warranties, simply speakig from my personal experience and opinions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Cheapish, Cheerful, and Light Camber

Just finished the Camber Comp 29 today and am unbelievably stoked to get out on it! Will have pics soon, but the weight after initial substitutions comes out almost exactly at 29 lbs for an XL. I went for some low-hanging weightfruit: tubelessness, a carbon bar, and swapping to a 1x drivetrain. I figured that the 1x would cancel out the dropper, but it turns out that the spider and extra rings were actually heavier than the dropper, so bonus. I'm pretty optimistic atm about hitting ~25 lbs.

Cheap and easy next steps: tires (once these are worn/blown out); banish the Maxle for a tooled TA; switch the PG-1130 (538 claimed) out for a Sunrace MX8 11-42 (401 claimed). Big stuff on the horizon: wheels, fork, crankset \shudder. Either way, the Camber already has more gears than my old Karate Monkey, lower gears, has two more shocks than the Monkey, and is already lighter than it. Life is good.

Changes so far:
    -Set up tubeless w/ stock tires and provided valves, tape, etc.
    -Swapped out 750mm alloy bar for 720mm S-Works Mini Rise bar
    -Swapped grips for ESI Extra Chunky (Red)
    -Removed all front-shifty bits and installed a red Raceface CINCH direct-mount narrow-wide -34t ring (the Taco Blade is there until Spesh gets more of the spacers for the pivot in stock)
    -Installed Command Post IRCC 125 dropper, ISSI Triple pedals

Weight: 29 lbs on the dot

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I work for a Spesh dealer and I have never heard of a fork swap voiding a warranty. That said, I'm not a rep for Specialized so who knows, maybe it is a thing that I've just never encountered. Swap away, I say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynchonite View Post
    Just finished the Camber Comp 29 today and am unbelievably stoked to get out on it! Will have pics soon, but the weight after initial substitutions comes out almost exactly at 29 lbs for an XL. I went for some low-hanging weightfruit: tubelessness, a carbon bar, and swapping to a 1x drivetrain. I figured that the 1x would cancel out the dropper, but it turns out that the spider and extra rings were actually heavier than the dropper, so bonus. I'm pretty optimistic atm about hitting ~25 lbs.

Cheap and easy next steps: tires (once these are worn/blown out); banish the Maxle for a tooled TA; switch the PG-1130 (538 claimed) out for a Sunrace MX8 11-42 (401 claimed). Big stuff on the horizon: wheels, fork, crankset \shudder. Either way, the Camber already has more gears than my old Karate Monkey, lower gears, has two more shocks than the Monkey, and is already lighter than it. Life is good.

Changes so far:
    -Removed all front-shifty bits and installed a red Raceface CINCH direct-mount narrow-wide -34t ring (the Taco Blade is there until Spesh gets more of the spacers for the pivot in stock)

Nice work! What about seat? I mean if going all out, top end carbon rail seat? Some of those seats are under 200 grams. Like 180. Some heavy padded seats are 280-380 grams. Just as long as you like the comfort...not worth a bad ride to save grams. Ive been eyeing the Tioga Spyder saddles...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Changes so far:

You won't hit anywhere near 25lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey all, has anyone tried the base model 2017/2016 camber 650b or 29er with the x-fusion shock? Any experience with an x fusion shock would be good to know about.
    Last edited by Honda Guy; 05-03-2017 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ike_ View Post
    Nice work! What about seat? I mean if going all out, top end carbon rail seat? Some of those seats are under 200 grams. Like 180. Some heavy padded seats are 280-380 grams. Just as long as you like the comfort...not worth a bad ride to save grams. Ive been eyeing the Tioga Spyder saddles...
    I was thinking about it - hadn't considered it seriously, for some reason. The idea is to get it light w/out spending a bucket so I figured that I would try out the Henge for awhile since I've never ridden one before and then look at swapping out the saddle. While NAHBS was in town, a guy stopped by our shop with a full-carbon saddle: no padding, no nothing. He swore that it was comfy, though.

You won't hit anywhere near 25lbs.
    Hope springs eternal. We'll get crafty if need be.

Official Specialized Camber Thread-34af7be888e62c4a75530a0d1932713f.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I was thinking about it - hadn't considered it seriously, for some reason. The idea is to get it light w/out spending a bucket so I figured that I would try out the Henge for awhile since I've never ridden one before and then look at swapping out the saddle. While NAHBS was in town, a guy stopped by our shop with a full-carbon saddle: no padding, no nothing. He swore that it was comfy, though.

Hope springs eternal. We'll get crafty if need be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34af7be888e62c4a75530a0d1932713f.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	1134736

Well good luck.

I have Carbon everything along with other lightweight components and I'm still at 27lbs 2 ounces.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Changes so far:

You will not see 25lbs on an XL camber comp. I know someone that installed the sworks rear triangle on a M Expert frame, as well as other carbon bits and still isn't below 27lbs. Instead, how about working on that engine or losing 10lbs off your body? You'll notice way more a difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmotard View Post
    You will not see 25lbs on an XL camber comp. I know someone that installed the sworks rear triangle on a M Expert frame, as well as other carbon bits and still isn't below 27lbs. Instead, how about working on that engine or losing 10lbs off your body? You'll notice way more a difference.
    Why do you assume that I have ten pounds to lose? My BMI and my engine are both fantastic. The comment's either patronizing or condescending. You probably didn't mean it that way but that's how it comes off.

Getting a low-end FSR to a race weight (it would be far and away the lightest race bike I've ever owned) is just a fun project. It's a hot rod. If I can show people that it can be done without mortgaging anything or selling their body, then even better. A lot of people seem content to poo-poo the idea but they forget that it's a bike, not a moon shot. Twenty-five pounds is a goal. I have no idea if I can actually get it down that far, but F it, why not have fun and try?

Also, thanks to the heavy-AF RF Aeffect crankset and adaptors, it's looking like the best $/lbs deal might be changing out cranksets. Also, I realized that the Command Post IRCC doesn't accept carbon rails, so the very lightest saddles are off the table, but the weight losses at the top ends are pretty minimal, while the very-top-o-teh-line stuff is waaaaaaaaay more expensive than the next step down.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can get a larger rail clamp for the Command post to run carbon rails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    You can get a larger rail clamp for the Command post to run carbon rails.
    Thanks! I wasn't seeing that option. I'll have to take another look - do you know the part #?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Why do you assume that I have ten pounds to lose? My BMI and my engine are both fantastic. The comment's either patronizing or condescending. You probably didn't mean it that way but that's how it comes off.
    Easy killer, it was just a normal assumption and I really meant nothing by it. I will say though my Large Expert was right at 27lbs.....tubeless but without pedals, or anything in the swat compartment and without the swat chain tool in the center cap. So with all that crap its now just below 30, a friggin' tank it is. I don't mind the weight though since I do not race XC with it, I have a Scale RC for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Easy killer, it was just a normal assumption and I really meant nothing by it. I will say though my Large Expert was right at 27lbs.....tubeless but without pedals, or anything in the swat compartment and without the swat chain tool in the center cap. So with all that crap its now just below 30, a friggin' tank it is. I don't mind the weight though since I do not race XC with it, I have a Scale RC for that.
    I see that response - lose some weight, etc. - a lot on this kind of topic. Don't know why. I think people are offended by the idea of buying speed, or amused by it. Anyway, I know you weren't trying to be a jerk and I didn't mean to call you one - no harm no foul.

Anyway, I'm actually trying to make the bike more like a budget version of a Scott Spark (they do make some good-looking bikes). I think that pushing south of 27 lbs is going to be the hard part, because by then I'll have exhausted all the big weight upgrades like wheels, crankset and such. I think that that SWAT Box is part o' the problem for the carbon versions, because they have to reinforce the crap out of that area. If I find something that helps us both drop some weight off our beasts, I'll be happy.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, my Large SWorks Camber stock with pedals was 27lbs. That is tubeless but with somewhat beefy tires, and nothing in the SWAT. I'm not trying to say it can't be done and I wish you all the luck in the world but 26lbs is probably as low as I could get my bike if I wanted, but then it would be unreliable for long rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Purdue22 View Post
    For what it's worth, my Large SWorks Camber stock with pedals was 27lbs. That is tubeless but with somewhat beefy tires, and nothing in the SWAT. I'm not trying to say it can't be done and I wish you all the luck in the world but 26lbs is probably as low as I could get my bike if I wanted, but then it would be unreliable for long rides...
    That makes me feel much better about my 27lb camber.

mtbr member
    Can you tell me the weight and size of your S-Works (without the SWAT tools and without pedals)? Thanks.

mtbr member
    If I recall correctly it was just under 26.5lbs without pedals and with stock tires ran tubeless. That's for the 2016 SW Camber Large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Had a chance to put some actual miles under the new Camber, which I've named "the Love Boat." So. Much. D@mned. Fun. I thought that coming from a rigid, I would spend a lot of my life hating pedal bob, but I hardly noticed the suspension once on the trail. Even set a couple uphill PR's on it (I never noticed before how much time/energy you spend on a rigid just avoiding stuff). Coming down was waaaaaaay more fun, too. Anyway, here it is up at Elephant Rock in Bountiful, UT.
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_5457.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Purdue22 View Post
    If I recall correctly it was just under 26.5lbs without pedals and with stock tires ran tubeless. That's for the 2016 SW Camber Large.
    That's pretty light for a FS trail bike! Any pics?

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks! I wasn't seeing that option. I'll have to take another look - do you know the part #?
    Sorry for the slow reply - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/eq...adapter/116732

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi guys

This March I gave my self a 2016 Camber Expert Carbon 29, which I'm totally stoked about - what a bike!

I'm from Denmark and we do NOT have a lot of rocky trails We do have very very nicely build XC trails.

My tires are now worn out. Bike is born with Purgatory front tyre, and Ground Control rear tyre. My question is if you guys have any good advices for tire setup for XC riding, tubeless of course.

Thanks in advance!

BR
    Lasse

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andkjaer View Post
    Hi guys

This March I gave my self a 2016 Camber Expert Carbon 29, which I'm totally stoked about - what a bike!

I'm from Denmark and we do NOT have a lot of rocky trails We do have very very nicely build XC trails.

My tires are now worn out. Bike is born with Purgatory front tyre, and Ground Control rear tyre. My question is if you guys have any good advices for tire setup for XC riding, tubeless of course.

Thanks in advance!

BR
    Lasse
    How many miles do you have on them? Surprised they are worn out already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOAA View Post
    How many miles do you have on them? Surprised they are worn out already.
    Sorry, should've metioned taht I bought the bike used. It is from May 2016. I dont think they are totally worn out, but close to. And I think the wide (2.3") rather rough Purgatory tyre, is a bit over kill for our kind of trails.

Bike has Roval Traverse 29mm. rims. Is it a bad idea with 2.1" tires on these rims?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    just admit you want new tires no matter what. That's ok.

2.1 vs 2.3 will be a difference just as as much as the specific pattern / tire type and whether you run low pressure or not. It's not a bad idea but what do you want to accomplish? looking for speed as you don't need the traction?

Some of the 2.1 are for racing and a bit more fragile, you would need to figure out what you want to accomplish, and which compromise you want to make.

I'm not sure ( ie i don't know) if you can run 2.1 and sufficient enough low pressure, and if that is a requirement. I'm heavy, went to narrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sorry, should've metioned taht I bought the bike used. It is from May 2016. I dont think they are totally worn out, but close to. And I think the wide (2.3") rather rough Purgatory tyre, is a bit over kill for our kind of trails.

Bike has Roval Traverse 29mm. rims. Is it a bad idea with 2.1" tires on these rims?
    Maybe Fast Trak on the rear and Renegade/Ground Control up front. If you don't have a lot of rocks skip the "Grid" versions. Seems crazy to be putting 2.1s on that bike but if it fits your local I guess that's fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My question about the 2.1" is only because I have some Schwalbe Thunder Burts from my previous bike, in my workshop.

I think I'm gonna try GC in the front, and FT in the rear, both 2.32".

Thanks guys!

Lover
    Nov 2014
    Exactly my bike and tyre combination for my dutch xc rides

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would run Maxxis Minion SS with Silkworm Protection in both the front and rear. They are only slightly heavier than the other tires listed above but they are a much more durable and capable tire...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anybody know what the rear brake hose length is on the 2016/17 Camber 29 large? I have a set of Shimano Deore's lying around with 1750mm hose length and I am not sure if they will be long enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Anybody knows the difference in terms of weight between s-works camber frame and the standard camber carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

I recently installed Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 on the front and Maxxis Crossamark 2.20 on the rear.

Only one week later I have gone back to Purgatory and Ground Control. I have realized not only that Specialized has made a really great jobs with these tires but also that these rims feel much better with wider tires.

Sometimes in order to save some weight we forget what kind of bike we have bought. Definetively wider rimer with wide tire are one of the reasons that makes this bike so fun.

When I first bought Ingnitor 2.35 I dind't realize that real width is ETRTO 54... far from the 58 of the stock tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I actually went with 24mm internal width Reynolds carbon rims and run 2.3 butcher up front and purgatory rear. It's way stiffer in the corners and all around much more stable than the stock rims that are 29mm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Anybody know what the rear brake hose length is on the 2016/17 Camber 29 large? I have a set of Shimano Deore's lying around with 1750mm hose length and I am not sure if they will be long enough.
    Funny you should ask. I just removed a leaking rear brake hose from my 2016 FSR 6 Fattie yesterday, which shares the Camber's front triangle and routes the hose the same way. It was around 1600 mm, so you'll be fine with the 1750.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Agreed. I just did a quick measure on my large 2016 Camber and it was less than 1600mm so you will be fine. Confirmed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Almost finished my base model 2016 Camber 29. Well Monday adding a Wolftooth 49/18 expander to my Shimano cassette.

Upgrades
    Fifty-Fifty - 50 stem, 780 riser bar
    Raceface narrow wide 30 1x11 on stock crank
    NX derailler and shifter
    Shimano XT cassette 11-42 (going to switch this with a 11-46 plus to 49 expander off my Yetti SB5.)
    Stock wheels with tubeless Maxxis Ardent Race.
    Specialized Commander dropper post 100mm. Tried a Bikeyoke 125mm dropper post but it was too tall for the small frame.
    WTB Silverado seat because I needed a lower stack height.
    X-Fusion Trace RL2 set at 130mm. I had it at 120mm but 130mm seems perfect for trails.
    Syntace X-12 System 142x12mm traxle 1.0 mm thread pitch - strange my stock axle keeps loosing up after a few rides. Problem solved with a allen key.
    Bikeyoke rear yoke but haven't decided on the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a 205x53mm Camber Rear Shock (2016 or newer) that they want to sell or trade for a 205x53mm Fox Rear Shock with the Brain (Shock which came with my 2016 SW Camber)? It is fully functional but I want to try something different now. PM me if you have anything to sell or trade and thank you in advance for your time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

my camber

out on a trail with the sierra mountains in the background.Official Specialized Camber Thread-20170530_130104.jpg

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    142+ question - I think i know the answer but before I pick one up...

If a camber comes with 142+, can I simply run a 142 and adjust the derailleur?
    I would likely be changing wheels so I'd order 142 standards(non +) and sell the 142+
    Any issues with this at all?
    I assume I couldnt swap back and forth

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes, you will be fine. It's when people that normally have 142 and want to run 142+ that may run into issues. Because theoretically they both have the same axle spacing at 142mm but 142+ has a freehub that sits 2mm closer to the drive-side chain-stay. And depending on the frame, the chain may rub the inside of the stay in the smallest cog.

I ran into this problem installing Roval Control Carbons on my '16 Scale 900 RC, by which my remedy was to swap to a shimano freehub and run an XT cassette.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I replaced the rear frame with an Sworks unit and there is a notable decrease in vibrations back there *thumbup*

Official Specialized Camber Thread-camber.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just add a Pike RC 140mm on my 2014 Camber 29 (entry level one, non-evo, 110mm travel), and its AWESOME. The fork totaly transformed the bike, much more capable and playfull. Also I put offset bushing on the shock eye, about 1,7mm of and it gave a slightly slacker head angle, I believe its a bit less than 68° now.

Now Im thinking to replace the x-fusion rl rear shock, that have lots of friction and its definitely noticeable during the ride (and needs service too). Theres not much options because the proprietary mount and custom size (197x48mm). Also, its a 2014 aluminum frame that I plan to replace next year or so, and dont think makes sense spend 400USD on a Monarch Plus Debon Air (wich is excellent, have it on a Nomad 3).

Brifely, my options are:
    - Monarch RT 197x48 (came on a 2017 Stumpjumper)
    - Fox Brain 197x51 (came on a 2013 SJ)

I imagine that the Monarch RT would be a big improvement in suspension specially paired with the Pike and its the "right" option on first thought.

But the brain fox maybe is a good alternative, because in theory, its the same e2e lenght (197mm) but have more stroke like de EVO model with 120mm travel. And I would have the brain stuff as a bonus.

Am I thinking right or its better stick with the Monarch RT?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quick note, your head angle has slackened and raised the BB by adding 20mm more fork travel. So my assumption is your slacker than you think.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quick note, your head angle has slackened and raised the BB by adding 20mm more fork travel. So my assumption is your slacker than you think.
    I took it on the account. In theory each 1cm increase in travel slacks about 0.5 degree.

Default Head Angle with 110 travel fork: 70°
    Head Angle decrase 1.5° with 140mm fork: 68.5°
    Head Angle decreese 0.6° 1,7mm offset bushing: 67.9°

I tried to measure with cellphone app, but its almost impossible to get accurate readings.
    But is steeper than my Nomad (65°) and lot slacker than a 71° XC bike.

mtbr member
    The brain is not a bonus. And I would never recommend running a shock with a longer stroke than stock, especially since you're already using offset bushings, which have the same effect on suspension action as running a longer stroke shock.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just ordered 2.75x2.6 maxxis reckons for front and rear after tearing a sidewall on the rear ground control. I figure if I need more bite in front ill order a 2.6 dhf and keep the second reckon for a spare since I seem to go through rear tires more often. I should have them next week ill post back with pics and first impressions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BykerMike View Post
    Just ordered 2.75x2.6 maxxis reckons for front and rear after tearing a sidewall on the rear ground control. I figure if I need more bite in front ill order a 2.6 dhf and keep the second reckon for a spare since I seem to go through rear tires more often. I should have them next week ill post back with pics and first impressions.
    do you have the 2017 650B or 29er? 2017 model 650B is boost and will fit maxxis 2.8s easily front and rear!!! can you change your order? may be worth it to get a plus bike

Regardless, I have a Rekon on the front. AWESOME tire. good mix of grippy but good rolling. saved me a bunch of times. mine are 2.8 so adds even more grip. these would own front and back. I highly doubt you will need more grip.

i liked the purgatory, but a 2.3 purgatory versus a 2.6-2.8 Rekon is no contest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Revelation fork issues

So, my fork is 6 months old. Ive had this issue and i think i just relaized it, or its getting worse.

I've never gotten full travel out of my fork. it was stopping like an inch from teh crown. I figured this was normal. then 1.5 inches.

Now its like 2 inches and its a hard stop. Basically, i only get may 85 mm of travel out of my fork. its ridable, but seriously, WTF. I just paid to have it upgraded to 140MM and i only get 80?

Per my research, seems like its "hydro-locked" due to some leaking or bad seals. but the fork is only 6 months old.

QUESTION -

Does anybody have experiences with Rockshox (revelation) forks coming mis-tuned from the factory?

Its still warranty so good news i probably get a cheap fix out of this...

mtbr member
    do you have the 2017 650B or 29er? 2017 model 650B is boost and will fit maxxis 2.8s easily front and rear!!! can you change your order? may be worth it to get a plus bike

Regardless, I have a Rekon on the front. AWESOME tire. good mix of grippy but good rolling. saved me a bunch of times. mine are 2.8 so adds even more grip. these would own front and back. I highly doubt you will need more grip.

i liked the purgatory, but a 2.3 purgatory versus a 2.6-2.8 Rekon is no contest.
    Yea I have the 17 Boost 650b Camber Comp aluminum... Too late to change order, but we should compare measurements once I have them mounted. I thought about 2.8s especially since the weight is so close, but wasn't sure that they would fit with adequate clearance, especially with mud guards.

Are you on stock rims? What are you running in the rear?

mtbr member
    So, my fork is 6 months old. Ive had this issue and i think i just relaized it, or its getting worse.

I've never gotten full travel out of my fork. it was stopping like an inch from teh crown. I figured this was normal. then 1.5 inches.

Now its like 2 inches and its a hard stop. Basically, i only get may 85 mm of travel out of my fork. its ridable, but seriously, WTF. I just paid to have it upgraded to 140MM and i only get 80?

Per my research, seems like its "hydro-locked" due to some leaking or bad seals. but the fork is only 6 months old.

QUESTION -

Does anybody have experiences with Rockshox (revelation) forks coming mis-tuned from the factory?

Its still warranty so good news i probably get a cheap fix out of this...
    Funny I realized the dirt line on my stanchions was about a good inch from the top on mine as well. I was thinking about letting a few psi out, but now I wonder if there might be an issue. I'll mess with it over the weekend and find out. Might have found a justification for that Fox 34 that I've been eyeballing lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    @BykerMike

If you acroll back in this thread i documented my entire experience with pictures. 2.8 fit on the stock bike, stock rims, everything stock, fit perfectly with ample clearance. The stock 2.6 max recommendation is ultra conservative.

The roval rims are the exact same ones they use on their fattie models.

You have to assume a large company like specialized appeals to the masses, and most people are idiots, so it avoid abundant warranty claims their spencs on everything are super safe with tons of wiggle room.

This is a prime example of that.

Another factor - they cant maintain specs of 3rd party tire brands and all tires are different.

Out of the box, maxxis 2.8s are really about 2.6. They can be stretched to 2.8 by airing them up to sbout 35 psi and letting them rest for a week or two or perhaps after a long while of use.

Sorry to tell you- your rekon 2.6 is most lilely 2.3-2.4 out of the box. You paid 60 bucks for basically the same thing that you had as the stock 2.3 purgatory (assuming the purgatory was 2.3 really, hell it could have been smaller too).

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Funny I realized the dirt line on my stanchions was about a good inch from the top on mine as well. I was thinking about letting a few psi out, but now I wonder if there might be an issue. I'll mess with it over the weekend and find out. Might have found a justification for that Fox 34 that I've been eyeballing lol.
    Yeah. Well mine was an inch and it crept to like 2 inches. I think i crossed the line from "this is normal" to "where did all my travel go?" Cause its a five inch trsvel bike and im getting like 2 inches travel out of it.

mtbr member
    @BykerMike

If you acroll back in this thread i documented my entire experience with pictures. 2.8 fit on the stock bike, stock rims, everything stock, fit perfectly with ample clearance. The stock 2.6 max recommendation is ultra conservative.

The roval rims are the exact same ones they use on their fattie models.

You have to assume a large company like specialized appeals to the masses, and most people are idiots, so it avoid abundant warranty claims their spencs on everything are super safe with tons of wiggle room.

This is a prime example of that.

Another factor - they cant maintain specs of 3rd party tire brands and all tires are different.

Out of the box, maxxis 2.8s are really about 2.6. They can be stretched to 2.8 by airing them up to sbout 35 psi and letting them rest for a week or two or perhaps after a long while of use.

Sorry to tell you- your rekon 2.6 is most lilely 2.3-2.4 out of the box. You paid 60 bucks for basically the same thing that you had as the stock 2.3 purgatory (assuming the purgatory was 2.3 really, hell it could have been smaller too).
    The stock purgatory was pretty close to 2.3, and honestly I liked it, had they spec'd tires with grid casing I probably wouldn't be swapping them. I've heard Maxxis is notorious for overstating widths so it will be interesting to see how wide they are but I'm expecting at least a true 2.5 on 29mm rims.

At the end of the day I'm really not sure I buy into the plus bike craze so measured width isn't as important to me as my own subjective opinion of real-world performance. If they are close to the claimed weight, grippy, durable, and fast rolling I will be a very happy guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The stock purgatory was pretty close to 2.3, and honestly I liked it, had they spec'd tires with grid casing I probably wouldn't be swapping them. I've heard Maxxis is notorious for overstating widths so it will be interesting to see how wide they are but I'm expecting at least a true 2.5. At the end of the day I'm really not sure I buy into the plus bike craze so measured width isn't as important to me as my own subjective opinion of real-world performance. If they are close to the claimed weight, grippy, durable, and fast rolling I will be a very happy guy.
    Its a great tire regardless.

My stock maxxis 2.8s mounted to those rims measured like 2.598 with calipers... whatever it was exactly is back a few pages in this thread. I did a few updates over time. Seach like 10 pages back and move forward. Id be interested to see if they have stretched out a bit since.

mtbr member
    I've got a Maxxis Forekaster and Rekon in 2.6 on the way. Excited to get some bigger tires on it. Was going to change the travel on my Pike to 140, but I like how it rides currently - so maybe ill bump it in the future.

mtbr member
    Mounted up my 2.6 Rekons and really like them. They measured 2.535" wide on stock rims and give me an overall diameter of 28.25", one weighed 750g, the other 760.

Mounted them tubeless no problem, I'm running 20PSI front 25 rear and they roll well and provide a ton of traction. Aside from all that, they make the bike look the business.

mtbr member
    Nice, the Rekons look like a good fit. I actually changed the order to a 2.6 DHF/Forekaster. Hoping everything fits on my non-boost rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Nice, the Rekons look like a good fit. I actually changed the order to a 2.6 DHF/Forekaster. Hoping everything fits on my non-boost rear.
    Hope it fits too, any updates? I want to see what they look like.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have a base camber 29, will the Maxxis Rekon 2.6 fit both front & rear?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUNT 24/7 View Post
    I have a base camber 29, will the Maxxis Rekon 2.6 fit both front & rear?

Thanks
    Not sure, mine is 27.5 with boost hubs and they fit with no issue at all.

mtbr member
    Not sure if everyone knows, but Bikeyoke.de now has yokes for the 16+ Cambers to run non proprietary shocks.

Ive been toying with the idea of jumping back on a SJ or similar frame but the urge hasnt really gotten to the point of seriously acting.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Not sure, mine is 27.5 with boost hubs and they fit with no issue at all.
    I think it will, but not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-2016-camber-comp-carbon292.jpg
    Any input on the wheels you are all using? I've got an opportunity to pick up a set of Ibis 928's for a good price. They are 28mm Outter, 22mm Inner, Carbon. As opposed to the stock 2016 CCC29 rims I've got that are 33mm Outter, 29mm Inner, Aluminum.

Can anyone weight in on the pros vs cons? I know all the benefits I'm getting with a lighter wheel, but I don't know the downsides I'll see from running a narrower Rim. I don't have gripes about the stock Rovals aside from they are heavy and I am looking at lightening up the rotating mass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Im on a set of Reynolds carbon rims laced to dt350s. They are 24mm inner I think 29 outer. They are slightly more narrow than stock but I love them and the tire profile. They handle so good and accelerate quickly out of corners. Grip greatly improved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

occ member

And now for something a bit different

2011 Camber rolling on 26x2.8" tires on 29i Flow MK3/Hope wheels.

Official Specialized Camber Thread-pdrm1491.jpg

Experimenting with wider riser bars and shorter stems atm.

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Members who have read this thread: 397