Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748 LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,600 of 4728
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    " SUPER CAMBER EVOLUTION " I had a 2014 camber. 110 mm travel, 70 head angle. Only the frame left. I put evo link in so 120mm rear. A 140mm fork up front. 67.8 head angle now. I now have a "super camber" as you say. I think climbs better than a standard 130mm bike and descends better than a standard 130mm bike. My head angle is more slack than a 2015 non evo stump jumper with less pedal bob than stumpy. I am an idiot nut job myself.

mtbr member
    As far as chain/chainstay clearance goes, just look at the profile views of the 29er and 650B on the Specialized website. The 29er has a different DS chainstay that drops down behind the chainring providing much more clearance with the chain.

Official Specialized Camber Thread-camber.jpg
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Finally picked up my '17 Camber Expert Carbon 29 yesterday. I had store credit at my LBS so I ordered it to hopefully resell it to recoup some money. Well I saw the bike in person for the first time and the thought of selling it went out the window. All black carbon with the black Fox 34 fork is just mean looking. Bikes I had in the past were Stumpjumper FSR Comp and Ibis Mojo SLR. This is my first 29er and for some reason it felt more plush during my test ride compared to my previous bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What is the widest rim and tire that will fit the camber 650B?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB9488 View Post
    What is the widest rim and tire that will fit the camber 650B?
    so, specialized is using these roval 29-30 mm internal rims on most of its bikes, including its plus bikes the 6fattie. so the rim will accommodate up to a 3 inch wide tire.

the bike itself is advertised to handle up to a 2.6. there is SOO much clearance, i bet 2.8 is possible, but its very risky. the documentation will tell you 2.6. so if you want to be safe, do that.

for example, this guy who put a 2.8 on the stock roval rims with a non plus, non boost fork just fine. you can see, there is literally zero tire clearance left. risky but probably possible. 2.6 on the back.

Industry Bike Check: Sebastian Maag's Specialized Enduro EVO | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

Sebastianís bike has one major show-stopping change: the tires. For the front heís gone for a chunky 2.8″ Specialized Butcher with its sturdy grid tread providing masses of traction, and the less aggressive Slaughter (with a width of 2.6″) for comfort and minimal rolling resistance at the rear. As neither frame nor forks feature the new Boost standard, there is barely any tire clearance to speak of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    New 40 mil stem and Diety Blacklabel 25 bars, 787mm wide!!Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_4026.jpgOfficial Specialized Camber Thread-img_4027.jpg
    2016 Specialized Camber 27.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does anyone have a 140mm fox34 factory fork on a 2016 camber? Any input? They are on sale for $500 was thinking of upgrading from my revelation fork

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmefixmyhead View Post
    Does anyone have a 140mm fox34 factory fork on a 2016 camber? Any input? They are on sale for $500 was thinking of upgrading from my revelation fork
    I do, rides great. Big improvement over the stock fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Has anybody upgraded to the xo1 cassette on the 17s? I bought the xg-1195 10-42t cassette but not sure which driver body I need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Can anyone help me? I'm looking to get a camber 650b (base model) and I noticed that the 29'er version, which is the same price as the 650b, has a 2x drivetrain instead of the 1x drivetrain on the 650b. Do you know why that is?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Plus Size Tires

I'm about to pick up a 2017 Camber Comp 29er and was wondering if anyone knows of any tires in the 29 x 2.6 size? Most everything I see online is 2.3 but I want to go a little wider if I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Shelton View Post
    Can anyone help me? I'm looking to get a camber 650b (base model) and I noticed that the 29'er version, which is the same price as the 650b, has a 2x drivetrain instead of the 1x drivetrain on the 650b. Do you know why that is?
    I suspect it's because they went to a boost rear end on the 650b version - a lot of boost bikes can't fit a front derailleur. The 29er is still 142mm. Not sure what the reasoning behind that was - you'd expect to see boost on the 29er first - but that's the way they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphTX View Post
    I'm about to pick up a 2017 Camber Comp 29er and was wondering if anyone knows of any tires in the 29 x 2.6 size? Most everything I see online is 2.3 but I want to go a little wider if I can.
    Nobby Nic is - afaik - the only tire sold in 29x2.6" atm, but I doubt you'd be able to fit a 2.6" tire in the back on the Camber 29. It's not boost and there's not all that much clearance. WTB makes a 2.5" Breakout, but again, not sure that'll fit. Keep in mind, the 29x2.3" Ground Control that comes on the bike is a pretty undersized tire. Never measured it, but it's noticeably smaller than the 2.35 Ikon/2.4 Ardent I have on my bike right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Does anyone know if the 2016 Camber 29 base model freehub driver will fit a Shimano or SRAM 11 speed cassette? I recall reading that it will fit shimano but I can't find where I read it.

The spec sheet says "Specialized, Hi Lo disc, 4x sealed cartridge bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 28H"

mtbr member
    It will fit any Shimano 11-speed mountain cassette, as well as the SRAM PG-1130 (11-42). SRAM XG cassettes will not fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Cool thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colticus View Post
    A local graphic shop charged us $90 to cut custom stickers. My wife's bike is a 17 black and blue.

This looks excellent, really well done!
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Has anyone experienced a creaking sound while peddling while seated? i have the 2016 camber comp carbon 650b and thats what i am experiencing. Sounds like its coming from the linkage or BB.

Also, has anyone experienced brake pad rattle with the stock Shimano Deore BR-M506 front brake?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zth25 View Post
    Has anyone experienced a creaking sound while peddling while seated? i have the 2016 camber comp carbon 650b and thats what i am experiencing. Sounds like its coming from the linkage or BB.

Also, has anyone experienced brake pad rattle with the stock Shimano Deore BR-M506 front brake?
    I have a 2016 camber comp carbon 29... Also creaks like no other, I believe it is the press fit bottom bracket that causes this. Brake rattle... but I upgraded to Hope V4's. However, the rotors came loose on me often while riding the Shimano Deores, back the torx button heads out and put a little thread locker on them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just picked up my Camber Pro Carbon 650b. Came from a Stumpy 650b. My buddy who owns the shop has the 29er version so I had to make mine look different so I went gold. The prices he gave me on the cassette I can sell the x01 cassette for without losing money.

So far..
    XX1 Eagle Cassette
    XX1 Eagle Chain
    Absoluteblack Oval
    ESI Extra Chunky Grips

Probably going to order Guide RSC's, I really do not like the last XT's I had and these don't feel the greatest either.

Official Specialized Camber Thread-16904950_10206370902070814_8339326851671960000_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet bike! What size oval chainring, and how much clearance do you have from the chainstay? More pics to drool over would be nice as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BykerMike View Post
    Sweet bike! What size oval chainring, and how much clearance do you have from the chainstay? More pics to drool over would be nice as well.
    30t, I was gonna go 32t but I've never needed a high gear always lower. Luckily only went 30t because with the stock spacer it was ever so slightly touching the chainstay. The ring is a 6mm offset and if I read correctly the stock is 3mm. I'd like to get a solid spacer rather than adding a couple but haven't had a chance to look around on the internet.

I'll get some more pics when I get out in the woods with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've got a 2014 Camber Comp Carbon. It has a FOX Float CTD Evolution 29 fork and a Custom FOX Float CTD Evolution rear shock. I believe these can both be setup for a remote lockout? But I'm not 100% sure. I would love to put one of these on it Fox Three Postion Remote Lever > Components > Forks & Suspension > Remotes | Jenson USA . Anyone have any input that could help me out? And if so I'm also wondering how you might go about running the cable to the rear shock on a carbon bike.

Full specs on the bike if it helps at all. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...arbon-29/49624

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Shelton View Post
    i asked the same thing. my LBS had no good answer. something stupid like "650B people probably want 1x11 and ride more aggressively, 29er people will ride this more like a XC bike and would like 2x10??"

which is dumb, all people can benefit from a 1x11 regardless, and thats what the market wants. bikes have the same build so would it be a cost cutting measure? i doubt it. like exact same parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by coleam View Post
    I suspect it's because they went to a boost rear end on the 650b version - a lot of boost bikes can't fit a front derailleur. The 29er is still 142mm. Not sure what the reasoning behind that was - you'd expect to see boost on the 29er first - but that's the way they did it.

Nobby Nic is - afaik - the only tire sold in 29x2.6" atm, but I doubt you'd be able to fit a 2.6" tire in the back on the Camber 29. It's not boost and there's not all that much clearance. WTB makes a 2.5" Breakout, but again, not sure that'll fit. Keep in mind, the 29x2.3" Ground Control that comes on the bike is a pretty undersized tire. Never measured it, but it's noticeably smaller than the 2.35 Ikon/2.4 Ardent I have on my bike right now.
    nope - the 650B with Boost can fit a front derailur. the seat tube had a curvature / indent for the space needed to put one on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
    Does anyone know if the 2016 Camber 29 base model freehub driver will fit a Shimano or SRAM 11 speed cassette? I recall reading that it will fit shimano but I can't find where I read it.

The spec sheet says "Specialized, Hi Lo disc, 4x sealed cartridge bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 28H"
    At least on Camber 2017 models, the base and comp models aparently have some rebranded, low end DT Swiss, Specislized OEM hubs that DO NOT accept an XD driver. They do starting at the higher end expert models. it jumps from NX to like XO1...a big jump.

The 2017 Stumpjumper COMP DOES come with an XD driver. You can see because they have the full SRAM GX, not NX. so even the stumpjumper lower end models have a slightly better spec than the comparable camber models.

After contacting my LBS, they said though all bikes have OEMed DT swiss hubs, the "higher end models" have higher caliber ones. NO XD DRIVER IS MADE for the lower end ones.

Basically, im SOL. I need a new wheelset (400+ for a high quality aftermarket wheel with XD driver hub?)

Given that the stumpjumper COMP is 3000, has the XD driver, better drivetrain, and a stock dropper post, im afraid to admit its a FAR better deal monetarily if you care about those things. the Camber comp is 2500. retail on all those upgrades plus labor is nearly 1000 bucks (say 400 for a wheel, 300-400 for dropper, and 100 for GX cassette)

I love my bike, but if i would have been confronted with these challenges at time of purchase, id probably have bought the stumpy....especially since im taking my fork to 140 mm, using an offset bushing etc to make my head angle 67.5 or 67 like a stumpy, adding plus tires, etc, im pushing more towards an aggressive bike not a XC one anyways.

oh well. a learning experience.... now when i invest in my next full carbon super bike i will know all the intricate details of bike technology first hand and be an informed buyer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've bought a BikeYoke for my 2016 Camber and gonna put a Ohlins STX 22 on it. But can anyone tell me what hardware to buy?
    - 6x22/22,2mm
    - 8x22/22,2mm
    - 8x26mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ike_ View Post
    At least on Camber 2017 models, the base and comp models aparently have some rebranded, low end DT Swiss, Specislized OEM hubs that DO NOT accept an XD driver. They do starting at the higher end expert models. it jumps from NX to like XO1...a big jump...
    Yeah it does suck that it doesn't have an XD drivers especially the 2017 models.

I was able to get a good deal on an XT 1x11 kit with an 11-46 cassette so Im happy. I'll post some impressions once I get it installed.

Besides fit and form type parts this is the only real upgrade that I plan to install on this bike. After this all the upgrades get expensive real quick and a new bike seems more practical.

So unless something breaks ill keep on riding it until I feel that it's holding me back in progress (which I'm not there yet)

To its credit I've taken this bike to some pretty rough stuff and hit some 4-5ft drops and nothing has broken and when the suspension bottoms out it hasn't been rough at all. The only real drawback was the drive train. Everything seems to be doing its job.

mtbr member
    When I was cross shopping the 2017 Camber Comp Carbon and SJ Comp Carbon I found they kinda gimped the Camber a bit, which sucks because I really wanted the Camber. I thought the SJ would be too much bike. The jury is still out. I got the SJ CC and its been stuck in the garage all winter because of lovely CO snow/wind..

SOON!

mtbr member
    Just picked up my 17 comp 27.5. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet besides around the block and the weather forecast doesn't look promising for the next week or so, but here she is.

Shaved the reflectors and stickers, added Raceface Chester plats, and a IR dropper post.

Stoked for spring!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Itching to get riding again but we're getting 18" of snow instead

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

SUPER CAMBER EVOLUTION - Continued

Quote Originally Posted by alu s works View Post
    " SUPER CAMBER EVOLUTION " I had a 2014 camber. 110 mm travel, 70 head angle. Only the frame left. I put evo link in so 120mm rear. A 140mm fork up front. 67.8 head angle now. I now have a "super camber" as you say. I think climbs better than a standard 130mm bike and descends better than a standard 130mm bike. My head angle is more slack than a 2015 non evo stump jumper with less pedal bob than stumpy. I am an idiot nut job myself.
    Well, I just bit the bullet for you fine folks. I just ordered a maxxis Rekon+, 27.5 x 2.8 tire for my 650B 2016 camber.

I also ordered a sunrace 11-46 cassette and new sram x1 chain.

Per my research supplied earlier in this thread - a lot of people online claim maxxis plus tires are smaller than advertised - say like 2.6-2.67, especially on smaller rims. People report on about 30 mm Id rims, they are pretty much 2.6 inch tires. Specialized advertises the boost spacing can accomodate 2.6 inch tires.

I just ordered 1 tire as a test for the front fork. i figure, i aint going to run a fat tire in the back and a skinny up front, so if i cant get a fat up front, the whole thing is shot. if it does fit, i can buy a 2.8 for the back. that way, instead of buying 2x (really expensive) tires and risking being out $160 or so, im only out like 70-80 for one tire until i can sell it used.

@ sunrace - im going to rock a 28T oval chainring with an 11-46 cog - which basically gives me a Sram Eagle with the low end. im a big poon, and this can probably help me get over tough stuff or hills.

Sram long cage derailurs are supposed to accomodate up to 49 T in the back (says wolf tooth about thier massive cogs) and Sunrace claims the 11-46 is still compatible with B screw adjustment.

End Goal - the Super Camber (aka the Beast)

2017 650b Camber Comp

fork lengthened out to 140 mm
    2.8 inch tires (2.6 inch as backup)
    11-46 cassette
    28 or 30 T absolute black chainring
    Fox Transfer dropper post
    Offsetbushing.com bushing to slacken geometry
    head angle slackened to roughly 67 -67.5 degrees (like a stumpjumper)

will keep you all posted. I really hope im not out 80 bucks on the tire!

I also hope Sunrace shifts well....its its crap-tastic its coming off asap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well, I just bit the bullet for you fine folks. I just ordered a maxxis Rekon+, 27.5 x 2.8 tire for my 650B 2016 camber.

I also ordered a sunrace 11-46 cassette and new sram x1 chain.

Per my research supplied earlier in this thread - a lot of people online claim maxxis plus tires are smaller than advertised - say like 2.6-2.67, especially on smaller rims. People report on about 30 mm Id rims, they are pretty much 2.6 inch tires. Specialized advertises the boost spacing can accomodate 2.6 inch tires.

I just ordered 1 tire as a test for the front fork. i figure, i aint going to run a fat tire in the back and a skinny up front, so if i cant get a fat up front, the whole thing is shot. if it does fit, i can buy a 2.8 for the back. that way, instead of buying 2x (really expensive) tires and risking being out $160 or so, im only out like 70-80 for one tire until i can sell it used.

@ sunrace - im going to rock a 28T oval chainring with an 11-46 cog - which basically gives me a Sram Eagle with the low end. im a big poon, and this can probably help me get over tough stuff or hills.

Sram long cage derailurs are supposed to accomodate up to 49 T in the back (says wolf tooth about thier massive cogs) and Sunrace claims the 11-46 is still compatible with B screw adjustment.

End Goal - the Super Camber (aka the Beast)

2017 650b Camber Comp

fork lengthened out to 140 mm
    2.8 inch tires (2.6 inch as backup)
    11-46 cassette
    28 or 30 T absolute black chainring
    Fox Transfer dropper post
    Offsetbushing.com bushing to slacken geometry
    head angle slackened to roughly 67 -67.5 degrees (like a stumpjumper)

will keep you all posted. I really hope im not out 80 bucks on the tire!

I also hope Sunrace shifts well....its its crap-tastic its coming off asap.
    Once my controls blow out in the east coast rocks I'm gonna go 2.6 Butcher slaughter grid combo I ran on my stumpy.

I have a absoluteblack 30t on with my Eagle and it is ridiculous. Spinning for days. I ended up ordering a 32t because I had the wrong 6mm offset ring anyways. Now I have a gold ring laying around.

I'm a little interested in doing the fork to 140mm and this offset bushing you speak of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    so from offsetbushing.com they know specialized bikes. Their service communicates via facebook message and is on there all day, you get a response back within minutes. I told them my bike model and they stated - 8 mm bolt, 26 mm. So when I ordered, in the comments section i put this exactly:

"Details: 2017 Specialized Camber Comp 650b - Fox Float DPS with Autosag - was told 8mm bolt with a 26mm wide bushing like stumpjumper"

Because Cambers have that dumb*ss proprietary yolk, we can really only use 1 8 mm bushing, which does a 2 mm frame move, which equates to roughly a 0.5 degree head angle change. if i could put a bushing in the back too, it would be a full 1 degree. with 6 mm bolts x2 they can get a 1.5 degree head angel change (because smaller bolts, more room to move the offset, so the smaller bolts used in the frame, the more drastic they can make a change). As mentioned, this just isnt possible with the camber. besides, with the fork, thats too damn much change.

That being said - I installed it myself in 10 min. the tolerances are PERFECT. went in easily with just my hands, snugly, no play, with the existing specialized DU bush, seals, and HW.

They give you a new DU bush and recommend using it. That requires removal of the shock and a DU bush tool, and probably makes this an hour job.

However, just undid the bolt, left the rear yolk on, and after inspection the bushing fit so perfectly i saw no reason to change out the DU bush.

no tools, competed the swap with just my bare hands, screw back in the shock- 10 minute job. WORKS GREAT!

____

About the fork - go online and buy a 140 mm revelation (or whatever fork you have, research it) air spring. a tech will have to tear down your fork, remove the old air spring, install the new one. adding 10 mm to the fork is roughly a 0.5 degree HA change slacker.

air spring was 25-30 bucks. labor was about 60 bucks.

total change is taking my head angle from 68 degrees to nearly 67 degrees with both upgrades.

there is a noticable change but not drastic. when sitting on the bike you "see more front wheel" because the bike has slackened a bit. but not so much so i can tell any change climbing. and the 140 mm travel is cool. i mean, personally, with any reasonably technical trails, on a 650b, i think you will use all of it. it is sort of like being on a stump jumper. not as slack. SJs are 150 mm travel and designed to be 67. i think they just sit slacker, perhaps with some rake changes as well? but my bike is getting close.

Fantastic upgrade. a bit pricey, meh, opinion. adding 10 mm travel and changing geometry 0.5 HA degrees, may be worth an $80 job to you. most likely a 1 time, set and forget. i mean, will you ever change it back as long as you own the bike? if you like it, probably not.

Id say those two make my bike a sleeper. you can see the outside upgrades but you probably cant tell its slacked out with longer travel until you ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'll probably do the fork thing for now because I wouldn't mind having a bit more travel up front.

More pics...
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-fb_img_1489449374735.jpg
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-fb_img_1489449050850.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey guys, I got a question. My tires, after 1 year, are done. So it is time for me to change them. I was thinking on using this as an excuse for an upgrade.

Do you have any suggestion? I heard about changing the purgatory tires for Bontrager XR2 team (2.35) with round profile. I ride on a very slippery sandy terrain (desert)

Another option I'm considering is jumping to 2.8, but I dont know what modifications I would have to do to the bike in order those tires to fit.

Any advice? THanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quick question... I'm converting my 2016 Camber comp to Shimano XT m8000 1x11 and XT m8000 brakes... I'm getting the XT cranks... do I need a new BB? If so what is the inexpensive but decent option?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can anyone tell me whether the current and 2016 Camber use 142+ (hilo) hubs on the rear Roval Traverse wheels? I'm planning to sell them and don't want to mislead anyone that they will fit in any 142 frame. I've checked the website and it doesn't specify 142+...

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ctiank View Post
    Hey guys, I got a question. My tires, after 1 year, are done. So it is time for me to change them. I was thinking on using this as an excuse for an upgrade.

Do you have any suggestion? I heard about changing the purgatory tires for Bontrager XR2 team (2.35) with round profile. I ride on a very slippery sandy terrain (desert)

Another option I'm considering is jumping to 2.8, but I dont know what modifications I would have to do to the bike in order those tires to fit.

Any advice? THanks!

Is your bike a 29er or 650b? what ID are your rims? I know a lot of the recent specialized stock rims are 29 ID wide, which should accomodate a plus tire fine. Its a clearance issue mostly. if you have 29er or BOOST, could be close. See above, im risking it. There is always 2.5 and 2.6 wide as well. 2.6 are up on specialized website under GRID casing for butcher and slaughter. not sure why only those two if i remember correctly. they have 2.8 options for other treads.

When i get my tire and install it, i will take some pictures and post back. probably should help you. what i really need are some digital calipers....

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Is your bike a 29er or 650b? what ID are your rims? I know a lot of the recent specialized stock rims are 29 ID wide, which should accomodate a plus tire fine. Its a clearance issue mostly. if you have 29er or BOOST, could be close. See above, im risking it. There is always 2.5 and 2.6 wide as well. 2.6 are up on specialized website under GRID casing for butcher and slaughter. not sure why only those two if i remember correctly. they have 2.8 options for other treads.

When i get my tire and install it, i will take some pictures and post back. probably should help you. what i really need are some digital calipers....
    Its a 29er. I had Purgatory control on the front, and Purgatory ground control on the rear. According to the technical specifications, my rims are Alex XD, 650b, 24/28h.

I arrived from the shop a couple of minutes ago, I was getting ready to leave the same tire in the back, and go for a butcher on the front, but at the last minute I changed my mind. I decided to go for the Bontrager XR4 Expert 2.4. I liked the side protection they have, and the more aggressive design.
    I punctured my rear tire on the side, so why I would go for the same one? The side wall it is much better on the XR4 than the ground control.

I'm not an expert rider, so I dont know if I will notice the difference, we will see. This will be a learning experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

29 or 650b?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    I do, rides great. Big improvement over the stock fork.
    Which Camber 29r or 650B?

I own a carbon comp 29r and I am thinking to upgrade the fork to a fox 34 factory. The question is 130mm or 140mm?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

SUPER CAMBER EVOLUTION - continued

So, 2.8 Maxxis Rekon plus fits!!! plenty of clearance. And i got the Sunrace 11-46 installed fine. plenty of derailur clearance!

Have not ridden the tire yet. I say tire, cause i have not bought the rear one. I wanted to see if 2.8 had clearance in my fork. so im half a plus bike. I have a 2.8 in the front and a 2.3 in the back. hey, i have a low rider bike haha.

The Sunrace cassette appears to shift crisply and fine. the biggest problem i notice is that when in teh 46 T cog and pedaling backward, it will automatically downshift back to the 10th gear, 40T. i have heard this issue with most non Sram or Shimano aftermarket cassette cogs. the biggest ones dont like back pedaling. It appears chainline also plays an effect, the chain is clearly coming in at an angle. When you back pedal, you can see the chain sorta "un seat". That, and probably not a SRAM designed part, its just not good as retaining the chain.

However, if you are busting your butt in a 46T cog up a hill, when will i ever be back pedaling? Perhaps some hard technical sections. not sure. Will test it out.

on to the pictures! (oh right, the tire is on backwards. I didnt notice that until about 30 min after i mounted it. fixed that later).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_6399.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_6400.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    sunrace cassette with pc-x1 chain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_6406.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice i just got that exact cassette. Upgrading my bike to XT. And just won an auction for a 2016 pike rct3 160mm for $350 (gonna change the air shaft to 140mm)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    29er? Or 650b?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey guys, 2 quick questions.

1) I want to change the stock pedals. What size do I need to be looking at? This is what I have in mind:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1C9T7ACO5T769

2)I just changed the chain and the cassette, and when im climbing, it feels rough. I can feel a slight vibration through the pedals. Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, 2 quick questions.

1) I want to change the stock pedals. What size do I need to be looking at? This is what I have in mind:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1C9T7ACO5T769

2)I just changed the chain and the cassette, and when im climbing, it feels rough. I can feel a slight vibration through the pedals. Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.
    1) Those will work. Not sure what you mean by size - the threads need to be 9/16", which is pretty standard, and platform size (if you want flats) is a personal preference thing.

2) What chain and what cassette? What shifter and derailleur do you have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    1) Those will work. Not sure what you mean by size - the threads need to be 9/16", which is pretty standard, and platform size (if you want flats) is a personal preference thing.

2) What chain and what cassette? What shifter and derailleur do you have?
    Thaks for your reply. Great, I will order those pedals.

The bike is a camber 29 2016 and its pretty much stock. I had to change the rear cassette, chain and tires on the last tune up/

The front derailleur is a SRAM X7, mid direct mount, w/ Taco Blade and the rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore Shadow, 9-speed, SGS long cage.

The new chain is a shimano CN-HG53 and the new rear cassette is a Shimano HG400

mtbr member
    Thaks for your reply. Great, I will order those pedals.

The bike is a camber 29 2016 and its pretty much stock. I had to change the rear cassette, chain and tires on the last tune up/

The front derailleur is a SRAM X7, mid direct mount, w/ Taco Blade and the rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore Shadow, 9-speed, SGS long cage.

The new chain is a shimano CN-HG53 and the new rear cassette is a Shimano HG400
    Well, those are the proper parts. Hard to diagnose further without actually examining the bike in person - could be a number of things. If you had the shop do the work, go back and explain the issue. Any good shop will stand by their work and either explain what's going on if there's nothing wrong or fix it free of charge if they made a mistake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Well, those are the proper parts. Hard to diagnose further without actually examining the bike in person - could be a number of things. If you had the shop do the work, go back and explain the issue. Any good shop will stand by their work and either explain what's going on if there's nothing wrong or fix it free of charge if they made a mistake.
    Will do so. Today I went for the first ride since I change all those parts, and when climbing it feels weird. At first at thought it was my OCD jaja, but I can hear some uncommon noise and I can feel the small vibration through the pedals.

Thanks for the advice coleam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaura View Post
    Which Camber 29r or 650B?

I own a carbon comp 29r and I am thinking to upgrade the fork to a fox 34 factory. The question is 130mm or 140mm?

I've got 2016 Carbon Comp 29er. I upgraded the fork to Pike. Started with a 140mm and after two rides realized that it just drifted too much on switchbacks and climbs, the extra 20mm of travel just didn't make sense for the style of riding I was doing. Aure, the longer travel is nice when you point the bike downhill, but I ride technical trails out here in Santa Cruz CA and half the fun is going up. Machined it down to 130mm and I'm still debating going back to stock 120.

With that said, upgraded fork is definitelt a necesity, the stock revelation is a noodle...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I can say i rode one of the more technical trails in the area with the tire at 13 psi and it held up fine. i dont have any hesitations on the 2.8 maxxis rekon in my camber. I havent gone off any jumps or big drops however.

I do want to get that rear tire in the mail. riding on a 2.3 in the back was slightly disappointing. i feel like i got a "floating" feeling up front, and really wanted to see what a fat tire would do in the back for climbing traction. Also felt slightly faster due to larger diameter and more momentum, but probably also due to the confidence and "fun factor".

I will post clearance on the 2.8 in the rear once i get it on. Really like that upgrade.

want to reiterate, I have a 2017 with BOOST. would not advise doing this on a non boost, or perhaps non 2017 model, dont want to make promises on clearance etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying4Pandas View Post
    I've got 2016 Carbon Comp 29er. I upgraded the fork to Pike. Started with a 140mm and after two rides realized that it just drifted too much on switchbacks and climbs, the extra 20mm of travel just didn't make sense for the style of riding I was doing. Aure, the longer travel is nice when you point the bike downhill, but I ride technical trails out here in Santa Cruz CA and half the fun is going up. Machined it down to 130mm and I'm still debating going back to stock 120.

With that said, upgraded fork is definitelt a necesity, the stock revelation is a noodle...
    Very interesting...

I could maybe go for a Pike Dual 2015 (120-150), then I could have both long and short travel...

Stock Revelation sucks... that's a fact.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Very interesting...

I could maybe go for a Pike Dual 2015 (120-150), then I could have both long and short travel...

150mm is too much travel for a camber. I just bought a pike 160mm and am swapping the air shaft to make it 140mm. I'll let you know how it rides. My bike is 27.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very interesting...

Meh. I disagree. Its mediocre sure. Its not a pike or fox 34. Have you played with it? Ive put a lot of time into the compression, rebound and pressure. Think ive got it just about where i like it.

I do have to say, fat, low pressure 2.8 tires definitely hide a lot of short comings....for example, small bump compliance of the fork.

My bike basically floats now. But its certainly not a 2.2 29er short travel XC bike thats for sure...no plus bike will be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

prepping towards XC

Guys, I've gone around in circles since my first full-sus which was a '14 Evo. I've just sold my Epic, and ordered a Comp Carbon 29 to replace it, and to complement my Stumpjumper which will do all the gnar-duty.

I'm going to rig my Camber towards long & adventure-style XC/trail races, including some gravel and fire-road stuff.
    I've done a few on the Epic WC, and I feel that bike was more of a short race/sprint rig, and a bit too nervous and fragile for the races I enjoy. The Stumpy is too sluggish on the gravel bits, and it's set up for riding very rough trails/enduro.

It will have the wheels replaced with Traverse Fattie 29s, as they're lighter, solid, and far stiffer than the standard wheels. I'll fit Fast Trak 2.3s tubeless, change the handlebar for a flat carbon version, and probably swap the crank with my Stumpy (GX) as I need the 28t ring more on that bike.

Any other tips on making the Camber a faster XC/trail adventure-bike? I also need to focus on comfort, as these races mean anything from 5 to 24 hours of saddle time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I want one of 140mm but I have the Pro Carbon 650b and it comes with 34 elite performance fork. Can this model be switched to 140mm from 130mm also? I can't find anything on the fox site.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wwwoooo new toy day! Going on my camber comp. Got that black on black pike for $360 as a new take off! Juhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58d3042f...85747_982.jpg?
    st gotta lower it from 160 to 140mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by knutspeed View Post
    Guys, I've gone around in circles since my first full-sus which was a '14 Evo. I've just sold my Epic, and ordered a Comp Carbon 29 to replace it, and to complement my Stumpjumper which will do all the gnar-duty.

I'm going to rig my Camber towards long & adventure-style XC/trail races, including some gravel and fire-road stuff.
    I've done a few on the Epic WC, and I feel that bike was more of a short race/sprint rig, and a bit too nervous and fragile for the races I enjoy. The Stumpy is too sluggish on the gravel bits, and it's set up for riding very rough trails/enduro.

It will have the wheels replaced with Traverse Fattie 29s, as they're lighter, solid, and far stiffer than the standard wheels. I'll fit Fast Trak 2.3s tubeless, change the handlebar for a flat carbon version, and probably swap the crank with my Stumpy (GX) as I need the 28t ring more on that bike.

Any other tips on making the Camber a faster XC/trail adventure-bike? I also need to focus on comfort, as these races mean anything from 5 to 24 hours of saddle time.
    whats wrong with it as is?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Wwwoooo new toy day! Going on my camber comp. Got that black on black pike for $360 as a new take off! Juhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58d3042f...85747_982.jpg?
    Thats sexy. i do wish i had a pike. is that a sunrace cassette? 11-42 or 11-46? if you wanted black on black, sunrace does make a blacked out cassette.. you are REALLY going to like this setup. a lot like what i did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thats sexy. i do wish i had a pike. is that a sunrace cassette? 11-42 or 11-46? if you wanted black on black, sunrace does make a blacked out cassette.. you are REALLY going to like this setup. a lot like what i did.
    It's the sunrace 11-46

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I would just say carbon everything. The Camber is surprisingly heavy which is no big deal to me as I was riding a stumpy and dont do races like that. I know it sounds ridiculous lol like weight weenie stuff but there really isn't anything else to do.

I would have thought the epic excelled in the long adventure catagory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I feared that much

The Epic might excel for certain riders, and I think it's brilliant, but...when stuff gets rowdy it's just too...much fuzz. Especially after 5 hours in the saddle. The brain worked great, but is expensive to service. If you're going for a win, go Epic. If fun & survival is the idea, Camber does that better IMO.

mtbr member
    Wheels and cassette are the biggest places to save weight on the Camber. Looks like you already plan to do the wheels, but I'd also switch to an XD driver cassette at the same time. The 2017 Comp Carbon switched to the NX (Shimano freehub) cassette to cut costs, and it's a boat anchor. You can cut around 200g switching to just the GX cassette.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Wheels and cassette are the biggest places to save weight on the Camber. Looks like you already plan to do the wheels, but I'd also switch to an XD driver cassette at the same time. The 2017 Comp Carbon switched to the NX (Shimano freehub) cassette to cut costs, and it's a boat anchor. You can cut around 200g switching to just the GX cassette.

yes well...according to my local bike shop / specialized, the hub that comes with the comp models has no XD driver available. So there is no upgrade path without getting a new rear hub, with labor included to re-lace the wheel, you may as well just buy a new wheel.

That, and the XG cassette is like 80 and an XD driver is like 100. so new wheel, cassette, XD driver(if doesnt come with new wheel) is EXPENSIVE upgrade.

This is a prime example if when you just need to pay a bit more for a higher end model at time of purchase.

Not saying there isnt some work around or XD driver that COULD fit, im just relaying what a LBS told me after contact Specialized. I have a hard time believing no XD driver on the market wont fit. but it could lead to more frustration than its worth.

IMO - just get an aftermarket non SRAM cassette like a shimano XT. not the lightest, but i dont see half the mountain bikers on the planet complianing about XT stuff. or get a fancy 3rd party one like e-thirteen.

Actually, given what i stated above, pay the $150 bucks and get a XTR cassette at 328 grams. thats cheaper than most mid-high end Sram stuff (given about 100-200 for a cassette and then you need the driver). Shimano cassettes should still shift fine. My 2008 stumpjumper came STOCK with Sram drivetrain but with a shimano cassette, from the factory (i think those were original specs).

If you are really "XC" oriented, yes wheels, but personally i would keep the roval rims. the 29 mm ID can fit basically a 2.2 to a 2.8 tire. thats awesome. the flexibility is worth it IMO.

if i where you:

Light tire like maxxis Ikon = could save you up to 200 grams per tire, 400 grams!!
    Light saddle = 180-200 grams (saves you probably 800-100 grams
    Carbon bar = save probably 80-100 grams
    XTR pedals = could save 100-150 grams over cheap ones like M520s
    light foam grips = could save anywhere 30-60 grams
    XTR cassette = about 200 grams

all of that could potentially shave off about 2.5 pounds off the bike while keeping stock wheelset. icing in the cake may be carbon seat post.

another place to shave is cranks, but i think those are pretty cost prohibitive to go carbon or pay for another metal set.

mtbr member
    ...The brain worked great, but is expensive to service. If you're going for a win, go Epic. If fun & survival is the idea, Camber does that better IMO.
    I rode a '16 Epic a number of times over week on rough rocky rooty trails. I wound up running with the the Brains fully faded all the time and thought it was OK. My understanding is that the fade control is a variable bypass of the inertia valve so fully faded you're running the "normal" compression damping and the inertia valve has very little or no effect. Anyway, as soon as I started dialing in some Brain, the choppy stuff got unpleasant.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    yes well...according to my local bike shop / specialized, the hub that comes with the comp models has no XD driver available. So there is no upgrade path without getting a new rear hub, with labor included to re-lace the wheel, you may as well just buy a new wheel.

That, and the XG cassette is like 80 and an XD driver is like 100. so new wheel, cassette, XD driver(if doesnt come with new wheel) is EXPENSIVE upgrade.

This is a prime example if when you just need to pay a bit more for a higher end model at time of purchase.

Not saying there isnt some work around or XD driver that COULD fit, im just relaying what a LBS told me after contact Specialized. I have a hard time believing no XD driver on the market wont fit. but it could lead to more frustration than its worth.

IMO - just get an aftermarket non SRAM cassette like a shimano XT. not the lightest, but i dont see half the mountain bikers on the planet complianing about XT stuff. or get a fancy 3rd party one like e-thirteen.

Actually, given what i stated above, pay the $150 bucks and get a XTR cassette at 328 grams. thats cheaper than most mid-high end Sram stuff (given about 100-200 for a cassette and then you need the driver). Shimano cassettes should still shift fine. My 2008 stumpjumper came STOCK with Sram drivetrain but with a shimano cassette, from the factory (i think those were original specs).

If you are really "XC" oriented, yes wheels, but personally i would keep the roval rims. the 29 mm ID can fit basically a 2.2 to a 2.8 tire. thats awesome. the flexibility is worth it IMO.

if i where you:

Light tire like maxxis Ikon = could save you up to 200 grams per tire, 400 grams!!
    Light saddle = 180-200 grams (saves you probably 800-100 grams
    Carbon bar = save probably 80-100 grams
    XTR pedals = could save 100-150 grams over cheap ones like M520s
    light foam grips = could save anywhere 30-60 grams
    XTR cassette = about 200 grams

all of that could potentially shave off about 2.5 pounds off the bike while keeping stock wheelset. icing in the cake may be carbon seat post.

another place to shave is cranks, but i think those are pretty cost prohibitive to go carbon or pay for another metal set.
    He said he was already going to pick up a new wheelset, which is why I recommended the cassette as well. If sticking with the stock wheels, then you're right, you're better off buying the XTR cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Super Camber Evolution - Complete!

So i got the Maxxis Ikon+ 2.8 rear tire on there. She fits fine! Have not had a chance to ride it yet. though this is a "cross country" tire (i ride in dry, dusty on hardpack texas terrain) it actually has some squared edged little side knobs which appear to be as agressive as the stock ground control that was on my bike. This is an aftermarket 3C maxtera 120 TPI tire, so it should be super grippy. The stock specialized was thier low end $30 buck ground control model. That, and being a plus tire at low pressure i anticipate this thing hanging on like velcro. The front Rekon+ has an astonishing amount of grip, especially in the corners. I did lower the rebound to account for "bounciness"

out of the box they measure 66-67 mm which is 2.598 inches. perfect! word is if you air them up to 30-35 psi and keep them for a few days they will stretch, but in this case i dont want to do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_6440.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_6443.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    the total height of the wheel from the floor is 28 inches exactly. so the tires added about a half inch to the diameter. so, i guess, that may or may not make you a tad bit faster, unless sag evens it out (for the same reason 29er is faster...in this case for every tire rotation you are moving 0.5 inches further). However, my extra speed is contributed to being more confident on the bike and having more FUN!

Stock tires
    Ground Control Sport 650B x 2.3 = 800 gr
    Purgatory 650B x 2.3 = 760 gr

Maxxis Ikon+ 3C maxterrra 120 tpi = 770 gr
    Maxxis Rekon+ 3C maxterra 120 tpi = 780 gr

So i basically added no weight and went plus. amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_6445.jpg  

mtbr member
    Stock tires
    Ground Control Sport 650B x 2.3 = 800 gr
    The stock rear tire on all Camber models is a GC Control casing, which weighs 700g in 650b x 2.3. Your pictures earlier in the thread support that. The GC Sport has a wire bead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    cool. well still, im happy to sacrifice less than 70-100 gr per tire to go plus. i feel like people demonize them as being boat anchors. for thier benefits (traction, speed, roll over, feel etc) i think its not really that big of a deal, kinda like how 29ers are significantly heavier.

but yeah i will just be more weight conscious with upgraded parts in the future to compensate.

mtbr member
    Hubs on 2017 Camber Pro Carbon 29? Does anyone know the specs on the hubs on this model? They are not listed on the Spec web site. How many engagement points on the rear hub? Driver body? Material? Also, does any one know the weight of the wheelset on the Pro Carbon 29? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradwin2 View Post
    Hubs on 2017 Camber Pro Carbon 29? Does anyone know the specs on the hubs on this model? They are not listed on the Spec web site. How many engagement points on the rear hub? Driver body? Material? Also, does any one know the weight of the wheelset on the Pro Carbon 29? Thanks!
    They are the Roval Traverse 29s. DT360 internals, alloy, 1770g. 3-pawl hub. Don't know the poe of the top of my head, but it's decently​ high.

mtbr member
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The DT360 hub has 24 points of engagement using the 3-pawl hub. DT branded this setup as an efficient and cheaper alternative to the ratchet style hub in the 180/240/350 hubs. In the 360 hub, the 3-pawl drive ring can be removed and replaced with the ratchet drive ring BUT if you were to swap the entire ratchet system over it WILL NOT operate. With the freehub in place(wheel off the bike) it does seem to operate like a normal 350 hub but once the wheel is installed into the frame and axle torqued the freehub is basically locked up. There just isn't enough room for the ratchets to open up and spin independently.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Picked the Camber up today. When I ordered the traverse fatties with it, my LBS offered to keep the stock wheels and give me an even better deal. So, yeah, XD and GX cassette fitted. Also swapped the stem for a 60mm (XL frame) at no cost. Fitted tubeless new 2.3" Gripton Fast tracks tonight, along with a carbon 780mm bar from another bike. It looks super sexy!

Another question - I will need to have larger chainrings handy for races. I'm used to changing rings on the GX cranks. Di I need a special tool here, and can I buy any RF cinch rings, like Race Face Direct Mount Cinch Narrow Wide Chainring | Chain Reaction Cycles ?

Thanks for all comments!

mtbr member
    Yep, the Aeffect crankset uses Cinch rings. Tools you'll need to swap them are an ISIS/Octalink-style crankarm extractor (the Aeffect crank doesn't have a self-extracting bolt) and a cartridge BB tool (Park BBT-22 or BBT-32) to remove the lockring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I rode a '16 Epic a number of times over week on rough rocky rooty trails. I wound up running with the the Brains fully faded all the time and thought it was OK. My understanding is that the fade control is a variable bypass of the inertia valve so fully faded you're running the "normal" compression damping and the inertia valve has very little or no effect. Anyway, as soon as I started dialing in some Brain, the choppy stuff got unpleasant.
    I just had my rear Brain shock replaced with a Fox Float. World of difference going downhill and up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Out of curiosity, how much does the bike weigh? I'm getting a Camber Comp pretty soon and am looking to turn it into an XCBeast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yep, the Aeffect crankset uses Cinch rings. Tools you'll need to swap them are an ISIS/Octalink-style crankarm extractor (the Aeffect crank doesn't have a self-extracting bolt) and a cartridge BB tool (Park BBT-22 or BBT-32) to remove the lockring.
    Thanks! I'll order some tools.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Kermit

Official Specialized Camber Thread-img_4647.jpg

...and here she is. '17 Comp Carbon 29, size XL. I'm about 6.3'' and it fits perfectly. The dropper post goes all the way into the frame, so tricky to get it up in the mech stand. Looks dead sexy, proportions just perfect! Actually looks longer & slacker than my size L '16 Stumpy. I know it isn't slacker

A few mods out of the box:
    - Traverse fattie wheels (30mm inner diam.)
    - Fast Trak Gription 2.3'' tubeless (this bike will be tuned towards XC/adventure-racing)
    - Renthal fatbar carbon 780mm
    - XT trail/SPD platform pedals
    - 60mm mountain stem, flipped
    - small front mudguard, taped up parts of the frame for protection

Coming up:
    - 3-4 tokens for the fork
    - 32t chainring

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynchonite View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much does the bike weigh? I'm getting a Camber Comp pretty soon and am looking to turn it into an XCBeast.
    I have a 650b Pro Carbon and it weighs like 27 pounds (I forget the exact but it wasn't much lighter than my old stumpy). I wouldn't consider the Camber a cross country beast just because of the weight. I'm guessing the comp is gonna be a couple heavier also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sent my Fox 34 Performance Elite out to Fox, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Pushing it to 140mm. I also ordered some tokens for the fork and volume spacers for the rear shock.

I need to figure out what I want to do for tires. Once these control casings get in the east coast rocks they will be blowing out sidewalls quick. I don't think I want 2.8's but 2.6's are intriguing. Anyone rolling 2.6's have some feedback?

mtbr member
    Fork offset on 2017 Camber?? Website geometry chart says 46mm; but specifications say 51mm fork. Does anyone know for sure what the correct offset is? (I am assuming the geo chart is incorrect, but want to be sure.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I agree that it's too heavy to be a straight-up race bike. Both my old XC race bikes were north of 28 lbs with no suspension whatsoever, so I figure if it's about there or less I'm already ahead. Lots of easy and cheap places to shave weight on the Comp (half a pound in that boat anchor of a cassette alone if you swap it out for a Sunrace MX8 11-42). I'm kind of interested in doing the "Project Alloy Trail Bike" thing except, you know, actually building a cheap, cheerful, and light bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

You should try AWK Kit on the Pike. I have just installed it on mine.

It's amazing!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You should try AWK Kit on the Pike. I have just installed it on mine.

It's amazing!!!
    What is that? I just went out for my first ride on my new setup and it's a night and day difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    It's a kit to install on the left stanction. It substitutes the stock chamber with a double air chamber.

You don't need tokens anymore.

On the first part of the travel the fork is much stiffer so it doesn't dive continuosly (just when is really needed), on the middle part is where you notice the high performace of the kit. It's like you have added tokens and they are removed when more travel is needed.

For me this has been a great upgrade (150 bucks)

In a future I will also install Fast Kit Catrige (high speed and low speed compression) which is said is much better than the stock catrige. But thats about 300Ä...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It's a kit to install on the left stanction. It substitutes the stock chamber with a double air chamber.

You don't need tokens anymore.

On the first part of the travel the fork is much stiffer so it doesn't dive continuosly (just when is really needed), on the middle part is where you notice the high performace of the kit. It's like you have added tokens and they are removed when more travel is needed.

For me this has been a great upgrade (150 bucks)

In a future I will also install Fast Kit Catrige (high speed and low speed compression) which is said is much better than the stock catrige. But thats about 300Ä...
    If it's such a good upgrade why doesn't sram build the fork like that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well Manitou has already started to use it.

Just google it. You will find information on the internet.

Maybe you can find some more information about AWK here:

AWK Dual Air Chamber for 35mm Pike/Boxxer | Ridemonkey Forums

This is a review of the FAST catdrige (I don't have this kit installed on my bike so I don't know how it works):

FAST Suspension 3-Way Factory
    Last edited by alfaura; 04-05-2017 at 12:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4647.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	1129460

...and here she is. '17 Comp Carbon 29, size XL. I'm about 6.3'' and it fits perfectly. The dropper post goes all the way into the frame, so tricky to get it up in the mech stand. Looks dead sexy, proportions just perfect! Actually looks longer & slacker than my size L '16 Stumpy. I know it isn't slacker

A few mods out of the box:
    - Traverse fattie wheels (30mm inner diam.)
    - Fast Trak Gription 2.3'' tubeless (this bike will be tuned towards XC/adventure-racing)
    - Renthal fatbar carbon 780mm
    - XT trail/SPD platform pedals
    - 60mm mountain stem, flipped
    - small front mudguard, taped up parts of the frame for protection

Coming up:
    - 3-4 tokens for the fork
    - 32t chainring
    I just ordered a 2017 Comp Carbon 650B in Carbon/Neon Blue. Should be here in a day or two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm so confused! I currently ride a rockhopper 29er but ordered a 2017 Comp 650b (will be in next week). Bike shop told me they would return the 650b and order 29er if I wanted. Should I stay on 29er and get the comp 29? I'm 6-01

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by codyfruge View Post
    I'm so confused! I currently ride a rockhopper 29er but ordered a 2017 Comp 650b (will be in next week). Bike shop told me they would return the 650b and order 29er if I wanted. Should I stay on 29er and get the comp 29? I'm 6-01
    29ers vs 650b just comes down to preference. 29ers will ride slightly smoother over rough terrain, have slightly better rollover ability, and be slightly more stable overall. 650b can be slightly more nimble, which is more noticeable on machine style trails, or high speed trails with a lot of turns.

For the type of riding I do, longer trail rides over a variety of terrain, I picked a 2015 Camber EVO 29er - and I absolutely love it. That all being said, it's currently set up with 650b wheels & 2.8 tires for winter riding - and is an absolute blast. (I'll go back to my usual 29x2.4 when it dries out)

**Just to reiterate, the differences are slight. Riding two bikes back to back, you might notice a difference, but specific bike geometry will have a greater impact overall.**

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So if I went with 29" I could switch to 650b if I wanted? I know the geometry is different between the 2. Fork stroke, chain stay. Etc

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by codyfruge View Post
    So if I went with 29" I could switch to 650b if I wanted? I know the geometry is different between the 2. Fork stroke, chain stay. Etc
    Yes? But I wouldn't recommend planning anything around it. I did it for shits, giggles, and the extra tire width. It sets the bottom bracket lower than I'm comfortable with for rocks/logs, so I don't plan to use it for anything too technical in the current setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jester6578 View Post
    Yes? But I wouldn't recommend planning anything around it. I did it for shits, giggles, and the extra tire width. It sets the bottom bracket lower than I'm comfortable with for rocks/logs, so I don't plan to use it for anything too technical in the current setup.
    Thanks for the information. Since I'm accustomed to the 29" I believe it's best for me to stick with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Picking up my XL Camber Comp tomorrow! STOKEDSTOKEDSTOKED!! Anyway, my goal, stated here for everyone to hear, is 25 lbs cheaply and cheerfully. Taking a step backward by putting a Command Post IRCC on it but this is Utah and I'll be damned if I own a mtb without a dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Good luck with 25lbs with a xl frame. I'm nowhere near that with a medium carbon model with carbon cranks, wheels, bars and a few other weight reducing mods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We're going full Eddy Merckx if need be: drilling holes in the frame and everything. But yeah, 25 lbs is definitely more a dream than a certainty...

mtbr member
    My son wants 27.5 plus on his Camber 29. This seems like it is possible? I35 with 2.8? I did read some post above. I just want to confirm details. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 374