Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 4728
    mtbr member
    Had a guy at my local trail trade bikes for a run tonight, he had a 2012 Stumpy FSR, he agreed my Camber was faster
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabob King View Post
    silverwulf,

Im looking to pick up a camber soon . I am still not sure if I should go for the comp or the elite. I know the elite has different brakes, crank, and transmission. Do you think those items are worth the extra $300-400? I originally was looking to get a stumpy comp but after riding them back to back on the trail I could not see how the stumpy was 900 more. They seemed very similar.
    I went with the elite because it was "good enough" out of the box for what I want to do with it. I have a roubaix sl road bike that I throw $ at. I didnt want to do that with this bike.
    Everyone seems so caught up in the shocks and forks and like. The stuff that comes on a @$2000.00 bike is NOT bad stuff. get it, ride it, if somethind dosent cut it THEN replace it.
    I understand swapping out a wheel set and tires as that makes a HUGE difference. I swapped out the roval fusee wheels and specialized all conditions tires for a set of mavic cosmic carbone slr with schwable zx ultremo tires and WOW! wheels were only @100g lighter and 100g on the tires/tubes, but the areo advantage of the 50mm carbon rim are sweet.

Anyway back on topic. I bought the elite because I got a sweet deal on it. Its really a good bike. it was snappier than the SJ, and if I REALLY get into this then maybe next year I'll "upgrade" and hand it down to my son.

HTH

edit: I thought I might add that I had my first upgrad done to my bike. After riding it for a few weeks I realized I would really like to have the ability to adjust the compression on the recon gold fork. My LBS called sram/rock shox. He found a Motion controll damper with the adj compression. I also added a pop-loc lever with remote compression adjustment.

Retrospectivly I "could" have just swapped forks and been better off for the $ spent, But I like what I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Had a guy at my local trail trade bikes for a run tonight, he had a 2012 Stumpy FSR, he agreed my Camber was faster
    Cool, but didn't you fill your frame hith helium or something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverwulf View Post
    I went with the elite because it was "good enough" out of the box for what I want to do with it. I have a roubaix sl road bike that I throw $ at. I didnt want to do that with this bike.
    Everyone seems so caught up in the shocks and forks and like. The stuff that comes on a @$2000.00 bike is NOT bad stuff. get it, ride it, if somethind dosent cut it THEN replace it.

Anyway back on topic. I bought the elite because I got a sweet deal on it. Its really a good bike. it was snappier than the SJ,
    THIS. I had no idea what i really wanted in a bike. After getting this i know i want 1x10 and a reba

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, 1x or 2x conversion is next on my radar. I never use the big ring.

mtbr member
    I've taken the big ring off and just adjusted the front Dérailleur, I dropped 95grams of rotational weight for nothing

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Newbie here with a question. Don't want to hijack the thread, but what better place to ask? While looking for my next bike, I narrowed it down to a Trek Fuel EX7 and a Specialized Camber Elite. After reading everything that I could find, I still have a question. What is the difference between these two, and I'm not talking about components or fork/shocks, etc. More in the line of what are the made for, to me, the Camber looks more like an XC "fast" bike, while the Fuel looks more "robust", don't know if it has to do with the rear shock placement. I'm pretty sure that both will be more than enough for my type of riding (XC/singletrack/hardly any jumps) but I'm just trying to figure out which would benefit me the most. I also posted on the Trek/Fuel thread to get a balance opinion. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Camber is pretty robust, I'm 6'3" @ 240lbs and I ride it pretty hard without issue. It's do-all bike that falls between the racer Epic and the AM Stumpy according to Marketing. That description seems pretty accurate according to my limited experience. How that relates to the Trek, I can't answer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Dusty Trails; 04-22-2012 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    I weighed the cassette for a laugh and WTF it weighed 440grams!! The white back plate came in at 28 so it was off straight away.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeque View Post
    Newbie here with a question. Don't want to hijack the thread, but what better place to ask? While looking for my next bike, I narrowed it down to a Trek Fuel EX7 and a Specialized Camber Elite. After reading everything that I could find, I still have a question. What is the difference between these two, and I'm not talking about components or fork/shocks, etc. More in the line of what are the made for, to me, the Camber looks more like an XC "fast" bike, while the Fuel looks more "robust", don't know if it has to do with the rear shock placement. I'm pretty sure that both will be more than enough for my type of riding (XC/singletrack/hardly any jumps) but I'm just trying to figure out which would benefit me the most. I also posted on the Trek/Fuel thread to get a balance opinion. Thanks.
    All I can tell you is that I test rode both bikes, and I liked the feel of a Camber a lot more. They're both going to work for what you're asking about, so it's going to come down to what you feel better riding. Ride them both, and see what feels like a better fit for you personally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Camber bearing removal

Hi everyone, great forum with a real plethora of info here. I hope I can add to things on the back of 20 years riding, racing (TT, xc, dh and enduros) and working in bike shops.

I'm looking to replace all the bearings on a 2011 camber. Has anyone done this and how did you pull the main pivot bearings? 1 on ds and 2 on nds right?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Update,

So I'm probably going down to order my camber today. Is there a weight difference between comp and elite. I know the fork on the elite is about 300 grams lighter. But not sure what the other components would add up to.

Advice would be great since I want to buy later today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Camber Expert, My BMC roadie and the Harescramble toy, enjoying day in the sun..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-2012-03-25-15.04.49.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So I'm about to pull the trigger on a carbon frame camber and build it up, my concern is what type of fork do I run? The forks on the complete model are 110mm, I don't think FOX or Rock SHOX sell a 110mm fork. Do I just get a 120mm and run a spacer in it? 9mm or 15mm

Competent User
    Anyone with a 2012 Camber 29 (or 2011 Camber 29 Elite) do a tubeless conversion on the stock rims? I'd love to spring for new wheels, but that ain't happening right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My Camber all mountain build

My tribute to the versatility of this frame
    Full SLX Group
    Revelation Dual Air Fork (130mm)
    Monarch rc3 plus shock
    Mavic Cross Ride Wheels
    Easton Haven Carbon Bars
    Chromag ranger stem
    thompson elite seatpost
    Chromag Lynx DT saddle
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo-2-.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo-3-.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo-5-.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-photo-7-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am about to purchase a 2011 Camber Comp for $1299. They have one in XL. I am 6'1 and the salesman said I have a large inseam. Is this still too large a bike for me?

mtbr member
    Shouldn't be a problem at that size, but if you feel too stretched out you can always put on a shorter stem. Which might not be such a bad idea anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quadster2005 View Post
    I am about to purchase a 2011 Camber Comp for $1299. They have one in XL. I am 6'1 and the salesman said I have a large inseam. Is this still too large a bike for me?
    check the stand over height, if your nailing your junk on the tt its too tall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quadster2005 View Post
    Go for the Large if you don't want to feel like you're laying over the bike. You'll feel more comfy. I'm 6'1", and I can tell the Large is the right size. You can always add a setback seatpost. The XL will make you feel like your whole upper body weight is on your hands.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    ^^ What he said. I too am 6'1 & on the Large; feels good.
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    i just buy a camber elite 26, 2011 at a great price, is almost new i have some questions for the camber riders,
    how the ario works is good or should i start to search for a upgrade in this shock?
    i notice that is only lock out and open, in my others bikes i use most of the time the pro pedal mode, im not shure how is gona work in the climbs, because if you put the lock out and the shock is so hard whats the point of climbing in a full suspension bike is gona feel like a hardtail.
    and somebody try a longer travel fork on the camber? like 130 or 140 max, i have a almost new rock shox revelation set to 140 from my old 2009 stumpjumper fsr comp, and the fork is so good that i have to try on this bike, any advice welcome, pictures later.
    Last edited by brunomu; 05-03-2012 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonathan85 View Post
    Go for the Large if you don't want to feel like you're laying over the bike. You'll feel more comfy. I'm 6'1", and I can tell the Large is the right size. You can always add a setback seatpost. The XL will make you feel like your whole upper body weight is on your hands.
    It funny how two inches makes that much difference, or for that matter 15mm. I'm 6'3" and felt pretty good on my stock XL, but by putting a stem on that is 15mm shorter it's pretty much perfect. I felt like I had too much body over the handle bars on down hill runs. Doing that also helped my keep my butt on that sweet spot in the saddle, and improve handling response some. If you have a chance to ride both sizes do so, pick the one that feels best and if you need to dial it in by changing a few components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brunomu View Post
    i just buy a camber elite 26, 2011 at a great price, is almost new i have some questions for the camber riders,
    how the ario works is good or should i start to search for a upgrade in this shock?
    i notice that is only lock out and open, in my others bikes i use most of the time the pro pedal mode, im not shure how is gona work in the climbs, because if you put the lock out and the shock is so hard whats the point of climbing in a full suspension bike is gona feel like a hardtail.
    and somebody try a longer travel fork on the camber? like 130 or 140 max, i have a almost new rock shox revelation set to 140 from my old 2009 stumpjumper fsr comp, and the for is so good that i have to try on this bike, any advice welcome, pictures later.

i run a 130mm 08 revelation, and if your an aggressive rider i would definitely plan on replacing the rear shock i put monarch rc3 plus on mine though rt3 or a fox rp23 would be better for xc

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just converted the stock Roval wheels on a 2012 Camber Comp 29er. Pulled the tires and tubes off of the Rovals and then cleaned the rims very well with iso alchohol. Next, applied two wraps of the Stans yellow tape and then inserted tubeless valve stems (ones with a removable core). Mounted the stock Spec tires, wet down the rim and tire beads with soapy water. Added 2.5 scoops of Stans latex solution and aired them up with a small electric compressor. Have ridden 25-30 miles so far and there have been zero problems. Lowest air pressure has been around 27-28 lbs which is about as low as I want to go with 195 lbs of body weight.

mtbr member
    whats up everyone...I haven't been a regular rider on my bike in quite a few years (shame on me) but way back when, I decided to try to get back into it I bought a used 1998-1999 FSR (not sure if it's a Comp or Enduro as all the stickers were pulled off and there were some upgrades done before I bought it....see attached pic below)

After riding my FSR and having FS, I really wanted to stick with FS and I really loved the specs of the Camber. I haven't done much riding since college and before that I was primarily into BMX'ing. It's so crazy how far bikes have come since I used to drool over the Cannondale Super V, Trek Y-22, and Klein Mantra bikes back in the day.

So the last few weeks I've been trying to find a LBS that actually stocked a FS mountain bike and I have always loved Specialized and wanted to stick with them. After shopping around, I ordered a 2012 Camber Comp 29 from Ben's Bikes in Milwaukee. I wasn't sure which size to get, I was on the far extreme for XL (I'm 6'5, 270, 34" inseam) But wasn't sure I would be comfortable on an XXL. The second my salesman at Ben's Bike's started talking to me he said that I was definitely an XXL and that's what I ended up ordering.

The last few replies on here are scaring me about sizing. My issue was that no one around here stocks any FS bikes so I had nothing to compare it to. I really hope I didn't make a giant mistake, I guess when my bike comes in and gets built I'll find out.....yikes! I'm a little nervous.....

TLDR: I just ordered an XXL Camber Comp 29, I'm 6'5" and worried it may be too big
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-dsc_0696.jpg  

Competent User

My new 2012 Camber 29

It's my first real bike in a very long time. It's totally stock other than some new grips, and XT pedals. My first order of business, which is far away, is new, light, tubeless rims. Eventually. For now, I just gotta ride the thing and get better at that. It's a beautiful machine.

Thanks for all the helpful info, folks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allenfstar View Post
    i run a 130mm 08 revelation, and if your an aggressive rider i would definitely plan on replacing the rear shock i put monarch rc3 plus on mine though rt3 or a fox rp23 would be better for xc
    thanks,if i plan to change the shock i just have to pick the right size for the camber? in this case is 7.875x2.0 and is low, medium and high tune in the rock shox monarch, which i chosse?,thanks.
    Last edited by brunomu; 05-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.

That guy
    That sure is a "beautiful machine" Mr.Quint!
    Love the red white and black!

mtbr member
    Is there any ideas if I replace my stock fork to be 140mm the nstead of 130mm? Any suggestions please?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks,if i plan to change the shock i just have to pick the right size for the camber? in this case is 7.875x2.0 and is low, medium and high tune in the rock shox monarch, which i chosse?,thanks.
    At 5'9" and 160lbs i went with a standard air can mid tune

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elvinomarin View Post
    Is there any ideas if I replace my stock fork to be 140mm the nstead of 130mm? Any suggestions please?

the stock fork is only 120mm i moved to a 130mm with no trouble 140 may be pushing it though

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    That sure is a "beautiful machine" Mr.Quint!
    Love the red white and black!
    Thanks! I originally tested it at a shop who only had the black and yellow, which I just didn't like. Then I saw the red one at a different shop, and liked it a lot more, and they were selling it cheaper. The first shop was good with in picking out a bike, and test riding, so I went back to them to ask if they price matched, or could get a red one, and they said no to both, so I had to move on. I look at it and smile everything I go through the garage.

mtbr member
    i just get a camber elite 26 and the first thing that i notice is that the seat post donīt go all the way down when i want to lower the saddle height for the downhills,i look inside the seat post tube and in is a little hole about 4 inches inside, like the union from the top tube and that hole is stoping the seat post to go lower, is all the frames have this or mine is wrong? in my others bikes (stumpjumper,pitch) i can lower the saddle all the way for the downhills, this is really a bad thing i donīt feel right whit the saddle in the mid position descending, any suggestion?

mtbr member
    the stock fork is only 120mm i moved to a 130mm with no trouble 140 may be pushing it though
    Allenfstar,
    Thanks for your response, btw what's size of your Camber?

That guy
    i just get a camber elite 26 and the first thing that i notice is that the seat post donīt go all the way down when i want to lower the saddle height for the downhills,i look inside the seat post tube and in is a little hole about 4 inches inside, like the union from the top tube and that hole is stoping the seat post to go lower, is all the frames have this or mine is wrong? in my others bikes (stumpjumper,pitch) i can lower the saddle all the way for the downhills, this is really a bad thing i donīt feel right whit the saddle in the mid position descending, any suggestion?
    I am having the same issue with my 2011 26" To me,it seems like the post goes all the way down to where the tube bends for the FSR link on mine.It just seems like a really long post.

The only thing I can think of is to cut down the post, or maybe its better to get a new shorter one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I am having the same issue with my 2011 26" To me,it seems like the post goes all the way down to where the tube bends for the FSR link on mine.It just seems like a really long post.

The only thing I can think of is to cut down the post, or maybe its better to get a new shorter one?
    just cut it unless you want a better post its that way on all 26" cambers

mtbr member
    just cut it unless you want a better post its that way on all 26" cambers
    i have a 400mm on a medium 26er im 5.10 and i raise the seat post almost to the top for climbing (just before the max line) if i cut the seat post i canīt raise it where i want for a good climbig height, i donīt now why specialized do this i think this problem was solve because i use to have a fsr xc 2007 whit this issue,and then i read in some magazine that they notice people like to lower the seat post all the way down and they change the frames for 2008 and now they do it again, i buy the bike at a very good price and check everything but this seat post problem i never think about it, i donīt now what to do is a very good bike and only this thing is holding back the downhill performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i have a 400mm on a medium 26er im 5.10 and i raise the seat post almost to the top for climbing (just before the max line) if i cut the seat post i canīt raise it where i want for a good climbig height, i donīt now why specialized do this i think this problem was solve because i use to have a fsr xc 2007 whit this issue,and then i read in some magazine that they notice people like to lower the seat post all the way down and they change the frames for 2008 and now they do it again, i buy the bike at a very good price and check everything but this seat post problem i never think about it, i donīt now what to do is a very good bike and only this thing is holding back the downhill performance.
    well ideally it's built around a dropper post which solves the problem

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey guys. I got my Camber Comp in Sept of 2011. I am having a problem with my fork which is a Recon Silver TK. It became too soft. Its like the rebound is too slow now. Even if I turn the adjustment to the fastest, it doesn't feel like its changing.
    Has anyone had this problem with their fork? I am going to call Rockshox for details if I'll avail of the warranty but I am just worried how long will it take them to either rebuild or replace the fork.
    Or if I just go to a LBS and have it repaired/overhauled.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    Hey guys. I got my Camber Comp in Sept of 2011. I am having a problem with my fork which is a Recon Silver TK. It became too soft. Its like the rebound is too slow now. Even if I turn the adjustment to the fastest, it doesn't feel like its changing.
    Has anyone had this problem with their fork? I am going to call Rockshox for details if I'll avail of the warranty but I am just worried how long will it take them to either rebuild or replace the fork.
    Or if I just go to a LBS and have it repaired/overhauled.
    Did you check the air pressure?

Call your LBS and see what they say. It's still under warranty, so you're better off checking now and getting it fixed/replaced if there's something actually wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Did you check the air pressure?

Call your LBS and see what they say. It's still under warranty, so you're better off checking now and getting it fixed/replaced if there's something actually wrong.
    I actually moved so I am about 3 hours away from my old LBS where I got the bike. I have not checked the pressure actually. I thought the air pressure is only for the sag adjustment.
    Is the rebound affected by the air pressure? I thought it was the spring/fluid that is related to the rebound.
    Sorry if my questions are stupid I just have very limited knowledge about this part of the bike.
    2011 Camber Comp
    Upgrades: 2012 2x10 | X9 Shifters | X0 FD | X9 RD | X7 Crankset | X9 Cassette

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    I actually moved so I am about 3 hours away from my old LBS where I got the bike. I have not checked the pressure actually. I thought the air pressure is only for the sag adjustment.
    Is the rebound affected by the air pressure? I thought it was the spring/fluid that is related to the rebound.
    Sorry if my questions are stupid I just have very limited knowledge about this part of the bike.
    Not stupid. It's possible that you're losing air pressure, so that's something you want to check on, because it could be some kind of leaking seal.

Is there a shop closer to you than the one where you bought it? If it's a warranty thing, you don't necessarily have to take it back to the same shop, I'd think. You don't know until you ask though.

Maybe someone else here has some more answers. I'm just learning as well. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i would check the pressure asap because it sounds like you havent done that since getting the bike, i would check the rear as well. I would also recommend getting a shock pump because you should be checking the pressure every few rides that may solve your problem

mtbr member
    this is my new camber elite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-065.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-074.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great looking Cambers.

I was a big time hater on the Camber for quite a while. That was until this past weekend during the Specialized demo we had. Everyone was looking to ride a carbon Epic 29er or Stumpjumper EVO, myself included. They had a crop of Cambers out there and they guys were telling me it was less race and more fun oriented. I hopped on a Camber 29 to pass the time while my co-worker I attended the event with got on a Stumpjumper Carbon. That was an eye-opening experience. I was riding ahead my friend on an bike that was at least $2000 less than the one he was riding and I was having the time of my life. We traded off for a moment and I wasn't into it. The Camber is amazing. It's such a fun bike. Very nippy, confident descender and an excellent climber. I wish the trail was more technical in terms of rocks, roots and descents, but it performed amazingly on the buff singletrack. I am waiting for the Camber Comp 29 to get back in stock because the value is incredible, but I think that if I were to swap some parts between my bikes I could drop some serious weight off the standard Camber 29 and save the extra cash. The guys at my LBS were assuring me that the Fox Shox are better than the RockShox stuff, but the wait is killing me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufio View Post
    I am waiting for the Camber Comp 29 to get back in stock because the value is incredible, but I think that if I were to swap some parts between my bikes I could drop some serious weight off the standard Camber 29 and save the extra cash. The guys at my LBS were assuring me that the Fox Shox are better than the RockShox stuff, but the wait is killing me.
    Interesting. I was just at my lbs a little over a week ago and ordered my Camber Comp 29. They still had some left in different sizes. I had to order an XXL but if I remember correctly, he said there were at least 20+ or so left in Large. Funny how fast they sell out of stuff when the weather turns better around the midwest and out east. I pick up my Camber tonight and I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have the 2011 Camber Pro 26r, I was wondering if it is tubeless ready. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rufio View Post
    Great looking Cambers.

. I am waiting for the Camber Comp 29 to get back in stock because the value is incredible, but I think that if I were to swap some parts between my bikes I could drop some serious weight off the standard Camber 29 and save the extra cash. The guys at my LBS were assuring me that the Fox Shox are better than the RockShox stuff, but the wait is killing me.
    wait for a comp, better frame m5 vs m4, tapered head tube, fox suspension, better drive train for 500 bucks is totally worth it

Competent User
    wait for a comp, better frame m5 vs m4, tapered head tube, fox suspension, better drive train for 500 bucks is totally worth it
    I wish I'd done that, or known the difference at the time. Not that I don't like my bike, but... you know...

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hakea View Post
    I have the 2011 Camber Pro 26r, I was wondering if it is tubeless ready. Thanks.
    Pretty sure its tubeless ready.I know the stock tires are,they say 2BLISS on the sidewalls.Not 100% sure about the DT Swiss 420 sl rims though.I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to set them up tubeless.

Anyone know a good tutorial around here? I get side tracked to much to ever find anything on this site

I'd rather be on my bike
    Those wheels should be able to go tubeless. They came on my '10 Stumpjumper and there was a small kit that came with the bike to make them tubeless.

mtbr member
    +1 on tubeless, very much worth it. Your bike will be fine to set up tubeless. Your rims will be taped from the factory with tubeless tape (most of the time it is not sufficient though). If you feel the need to re-wrap them, do so. Get some stans tape, wrap twice. Be very careful to get no air bubbles and make sure it is completely stuck all the way around. Go a couple inches at a time. Stick your valves in there, mount up your tires first without sealant to make sure they bead up, deflate, throw some sealant in there and go! Spesh makes it an easy tubeless job..I did my first ever tubeless job on my 2011 Stumpy in less than 45 minutes for both wheels.

That guy
    Thanks for the info Sasquatch!

That sounds really easy and straight forward.I did see a video where the wheels were spun for a bit after the sealant was added,then shaken up and down and rotated a few inches at a time (holding the wheel like a steering wheel) till the stuff is evenly distributed.

mtbr member
    yeah you will have to do that for a bit to seal up any tiny holes. Give them a solid overnight before riding them too. If flat or low in the morning you've got a small leak. I didn't have any issues with my Stumpy, but I did do a somewhat ghetto tubeless conversion on my singlespeed and the front was half way flat in the morning...added a little more sealant and found that there was a small hole in the sidewall. Haven't had a problem since.

If you do have any issues just PM me or do the usual MTBR/Google/YouTube search to find some answers.

I definitely suggest it, I'm sure you've heard all of the benefits. You will notice the decreased rotational weight and how your tires react. Plus being able to run low pressures and very rarely get flats is great! I was actually "crawling" around the other night with low tires and was hitting rim going over some firewood Just add some more sealant every few months because it will dry up/evaporate/get used with punctures. I did have one flat at the beginning of the season because I hadn't put new sealant in since early last season. It was just dried up. Still held air though.

Good Luck!

Competent User
    Has anyone done tubeless conversion on the 2012 Camber 29 or 2011 Camber 29 Elite, which is the same thing? The "custom Alex" rims aren't listed on the Stan's site as being compatible, and if anyone else could tell me if they did it, and how it worked out, I'd love to drop those tubes.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure, but try contacting Specialized as well, or try a Google search for if that rim will work or not with tubeless. There are other solutions than Stan's as well, so if you do really want to go tubeless it should be possible one way or another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I recently got a camber comp and have about 10 rides on it. I have been having a lot of trouble with the front derailleur. I have a lot of trouble with it down from the middle to the small ring. I also have trouble with it on the way up. I often get off the bike and have to do it. Is this common, I had the bike shop adjust it once and it still sucks.

Is this common?

I'd rather be on my bike
    2011 Camber Comp
    Specialized S-Works carbon bar
    OURY lock on grips
    Avid Elixir CR brakes
    SRAM X7/X9 drivetrain
    Rock Shox Reba Race (de-stickered)
    Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheels (de-stickered)
    Specialized Captain (front)
    Specialized Fasttrack (rear)
    Truvativ FireX cranks
    Shimano M520 pedals

Pics taken with crappy cellphone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I recently got a camber comp and have about 10 rides on it. I have been having a lot of trouble with the front derailleur. I have a lot of trouble with it down from the middle to the small ring. I also have trouble with it on the way up. I often get off the bike and have to do it. Is this common, I had the bike shop adjust it once and it still sucks.

Is this common?
    sounds like the adjustment is just off that slx front should shift cleanly try a different mechanic or bike shop

mtbr member
    May 2012

My Camber

Specialized Camber Elite 2011

Upgrades include
    Command Seat post
    Superstar 780mm descent bar
    Superstar Supagrips
    Superstar Plasma Chain Device

Removed
    Large and small chain ring
    Front mech
    Front shifter

Repairs in 1 year
    Rear shock bushing replaced
    3 spokes
    brake pads
    1 Captain Sport tire due to rip in wall.
    plus a small dint in the bottom of the frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-iphone-096.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-iphone-084.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-iphone-092.jpg  

Official Specialized Camber Thread-iphone-371.jpg  

mtbr member
    what is the bag on the top bar - that looks interesting ?

ILVMTB
    Mar 2012
    How do you like the command post? And what size cassette are you running? And what size chainring, looks like a 32?

mtbr member

Camber Comp 29er Update

So had my 29er for 3 months now, and can honestly say - what a bike. Have recently upgraded to clipless pedals and that have made the bike even better, only one slight niggle and that is an annoying 'click' occassionaly when powering up a hill as the right crank goes from 11 - 12 (clock) - does not happen any other time, only when applying max pedal power.....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The bag is a Xlab Rocket Pocket XL from Chainreactioncycles . com. Makes it easier to eat gels and energy bars without the need to take off your backpack.

My Command Post is the 125mm travel.
    I had to pump more air into it during cold weather as it becomes more sluggish and then on a warm day shoots up
    The lever can be hard to operate sometimes with it being smooth and sometimes stiff, I have seen better levers on other makes.

It is the middle 32 ring, I will probably go larger when the drive train needs renewing. For now this is the cheaper option.

That guy
    I was waiting to get a better camera to post a nicer pic of my Camber,but I'd rather spend the money on gear and parts

The previous owner changed the R.D. to Sram XO,changed the shifters to X9,and switched to a Crank Bro's xc/race 700 mm bar.I added the Shimano DX platforms.

I will be going tubeless soon with the help of my LBS.They are going to show me how to do it,even though I could probably do it myself.Later on I'll be going 1x10 with the help of a chain guide,and adding a dropper post.Still not sure of which guide I will get,or which dropper post.

Ken123 I like that guide you have,hows it workin out? Your set-up looks sweet btw.I think I like the red white and black better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-pdrm1570.jpg  

ILVMTB
    Mar 2012
    Ken123, is that chainguide a bb mounted or does the camber have ISCG tabs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sold my camber...
    : (

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nice

That guy
    sold my camber...
    : (
    So you can get a better one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ken123,

nice bike, i had my stock handle bars trimmed 2". 780 mm seems so wide, you don't get caught on trees and stuff? Also, is that the stock front chain ring that you have on there?

That guy

Chain guide found.

Thinkin this might be the one...Straitline Silent Guide
    Anybody run this on a Camber Pro with the "SRAM Carbon S-2200, 10-speed"?

Straitline Silent Guide Chain Accessories Reviews

I'll wait for dropper posts to come down in price before I decide on one of those.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hempress View Post
    Ken123, is that chainguide a bb mounted or does the camber have ISCG tabs?
    It's BB mounted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-iphone-065.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ken123,

nice bike, i had my stock handle bars trimmed 2". 780 mm seems so wide, you don't get caught on trees and stuff? Also, is that the stock front chain ring that you have on there?
    I find the wider bars gives me better stability on downhill sections and jumps, and it keeps me in a straight line. The chain ring is the stock 32 to keep the cost down, I will change it for a larger one when the drive train needs replacing.

mtbr member
    I posted elsewhere, and I'm thinking this should have been the place for my post instead of a new thread.
    Anyway, I have a spec. "paint sample" blem frame on the way to me. one of a kind paint job, silver/blue. I'm hoping to have it built up by the end of the week. I'll post pics. Its a swap of my current parts to the new bike. it will be interesting having the familiarity of all my current parts, and especially controlls, on a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi guys, i'm a newbie here. I'm planning to buy the camber m5 frame and build up my own bike. But i'm stuck between size S and M. I know this has been discussed a few times here but i still can't make up my mind. The Specialized dealer here in indonesia doesn't have a bike for me to test. The best they can provide me is to hop on to those size S and M bikes and that's about it. Which is quite sucks i must admit.
    I'm 5.6" with short legs. For the riding position, i feel more comfortable with size M. It gives me more upward position while in size S, i feel like lacking the space in the cockpit.
    But a lot of people are advising me to go with the smaller bike.

Any adv will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Competent User

Go small

I'm 5'10" with not long legs, and ride a medium Camber 29. It feels like it's just about the best size, and I wouldn't want to go any bigger, and I think you'd be better off with a small. The top tube clearance on mine is pretty tight, even at my height.

But everyone has their preferences.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am 5' 9 1/2" and ride a medium also. I would be concerned about the top tube on a medium at your height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by googoodang View Post
    Hi guys, i'm a newbie here. I'm planning to buy the camber m5 frame and build up my own bike. But i'm stuck between size S and M. I know this has been discussed a few times here but i still can't make up my mind. The Specialized dealer here in indonesia doesn't have a bike for me to test. The best they can provide me is to hop on to those size S and M bikes and that's about it. Which is quite sucks i must admit.
    I'm 5.6" with short legs. For the riding position, i feel more comfortable with size M. It gives me more upward position while in size S, i feel like lacking the space in the cockpit.
    But a lot of people are advising me to go with the smaller bike.

Any adv will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    5'7" and on medium. Feels great. Small was way to cramped. Only thing I may do is drop my stem length a bit from 90 down to an 85 or 75. Been riding my Camber Pro 26 for a year and love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That guy
    For the riding position, i feel more comfortable with size M. It gives me more upward position while in size S, i feel like lacking the space in the cockpit.
    I think you have an answer already.Go with your personal preference.Let us know if your after a 26" or a 29" and your inseam height for better advice.

Look at this to see the standover heights for more info before you decide.
    26 inch
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    29 inch
    Specialized Bicycle Components

I could have gone with a med. 26" even though I'm 6'1" because of my 31" inseam.I'm glad I went with the large even though I have very little standover.Since I have a longer torso,I think I have long arms,which the large TT length accommodated well.It just felt like a good fit.
    Last edited by Cornfield; 06-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    I ordered a specialized Camber "blemished" frame from Specialized, and it arrived Monday! It is a paint sample frame, and so the color is "one of a kind". Navy/Ti

I'm psyched

That guy
    That...is a thing of beauty

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hiya guys... thanks for all the comments and directions.
    Cornfield, i'm ordering a 26'. Yesterday I stood on a size M camber bike and I still can lift my rear wheel for a good 1-2 inches until the TT touched my crotch.
    TJM0031, I'm also planning to get a shorter stem. Would a 50cm look ridiculous on a XC bike?

Made a down payment on the frame and will get it by the end of this month with 2 weeks left to make up my mind about the size...

mtbr member
    2011 Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Upgrades:
    Crank Bros 90mm Stem
    2012 RockShox Reba RLT
    Nuke Proof seat post/collar
    WTB Sadle
    Hope Pro Evo 2 Hubs
    ZTR Arch EX Rims
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Front
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 Rear

Only running 32T front ring and standard 11-34T Cassette.

I am waiting on an XT shifter, XT Pedals, e13 GuideRing & 36t cassette

I have now removed the front shifter plus cable.

Competent User
    Hey Taupo, how do you find the Reba in comparison to the Recon?

Also, are those the stock brakes?

Lord Thunderbottom
    This is HOT! I think they picked the wrong color to market

Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt View Post
    I ordered a specialized Camber "blemished" frame from Specialized, and it arrived Monday! It is a paint sample frame, and so the color is "one of a kind". Navy/Ti

I'm psyched

mtbr member
    Specialized never listens to the shops or customers..they're always pushing out some combination of black, white and red. I realllly like that Ti/Navy frameset

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hiya guys... thanks for all the comments and directions.
    Cornfield, i'm ordering a 26'. Yesterday I stood on a size M camber bike and I still can lift my rear wheel for a good 1-2 inches until the TT touched my crotch.
    TJM0031, I'm also planning to get a shorter stem. Would a 50cm look ridiculous on a XC bike?

Made a down payment on the frame and will get it by the end of this month with 2 weeks left to make up my mind about the size...
    I'm 5.7" and have a MD 26 expert with a 70mm stem and it fits me great.

mtbr member
    I'm also planning to get a shorter stem. Would a 50cm look ridiculous on a XC bike?
    50cm is probably a bit longer than what you currently have, considering 50cm is just over 19-1/2 inches long

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Specialized never listens to the shops or customers..they're always pushing out some combination of black, white and red. I realllly like that Ti/Navy frameset
    I remember the first time I saw a Specialized and REALLY took notice.... it was a MANGO orange FSR.... must have been like in 97 or 98. I miss the bold colors of bikes long ago. The market is too muddled with black, red, grey, white.... b-o-r-i-n-g.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Hey Taupo, how do you find the Reba in comparison to the Recon?

Also, are those the stock brakes?
    Hey mate. Im a heavier rider, 100kg, and I could never get the recon tuned right. I find the reba far more tuneable and it rides ten times better. I got my bike silly cheap so I didnt mind buying the better shock plus I sold my old one to make back some cash.

Yep stock brakes, 180 rear rotor 203 front as the bike is a large

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    50cm is probably a bit longer than what you currently have, considering 50cm is just over 19-1/2 inches long
    Haha.. My bad... I meant 50mm...
    But you know what i meant right?

mtbr member

Ok! It's built up! Definite budget build for now, but I'm very happy with it! Tomorrow I'll take it out for a first ride!

As a side note, The listing from specialized stated the bike would not come with rear shock mounting hardware, or a rear derailleur hanger. It also listed the bike as having the rockshox ario rear shock, rather than the fox/specialized triad, which is what it came with! it also had the shock mount hardware, and rear derailleur hanger.
    This ended up better than I could have expected or hoped.
    There ARE a few spec. blem frames left, and your LBS CAN order you one! they are sold as used bikes, and have NO WARRENTY. They also might be a bit beat up. Mine has a few nicks and paint chips and scratches here and there, but nothing worth getting upset about. anyway. There it is! I'm excited for a first ride tomorrow. I'm sure you all know exactly how they ride, but I'll report in anyway!
    Thanks for all the nice comments. I bought it sight unseen.. looks better than I imagined!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt View Post

I'm psyched

That's great man! Looks even better than my matte black blue and gray 2011 pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Super fun bike, like a big bmx. Rides over roots much better than 6 inch 26er .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Camber Thread-dsc_9112.jpg  

That guy
    Nice action shot!
    Ive been looking at my Camber in a different light ever since you said "Super fun bike, like a big bmx."

mtbr member
    after about a month of riding the camber elite 26, i have to say that im not very happy whit this bike, i regret changing my stumpjumper fsr 09 for the camber, and is not that the bike donīt climb or go downhill good, it does, but everytime i get on this bike the first 45 mins of climbing are ok, but then i start to have back pain and after more than a 1:30 hours is worse, i been mountain biking almost 10 years whit different bikes and never happen something like this a try to change the set up of the bike (short stem, long stem, change saddles and change saddle position fore aft and tilt,change handellbar height, etc) is like this new frame desing from specialized is not like the old ones, i always have specialized bikes and the medium size fits me like a glove,even my new carve 29er hardtail is much,much more comfortable than the camber and the days that i donīt use the camber i return to my pitch pro, is like being on a sofa, my back is ok and i can ride more time, i buy the camber because i want more xc trail bike that can peddal more time up and down the mountain and i donīt end all beat up like when i use the pitch, well whit the camber i do half riding and end beat up, so tired and whit my back killing me, i guess that this bike is not for me and im goin to put it on sale, this is what happend to me im shure that a lot o people are very happy whit this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    sorry to hear the camber is not working for you. Have you made adjustments to raise the handle bars. I ride a camber comp and I had an extra spacer put in which raised the angle a little. I also ride a medium and have not had any issues.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've had my 2011 Camber Expert for about a month now. I've had on going issues with the brake lever travel (Elixers). LBS tried to bleed it and troubleshoot it again today, but the rear lever still travels all the way to the bars. LBS said the would contact Avid tomorrow. Just posting in case anyone has similar issues. I'll update with outcome ASAP.
    -b

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    HI BHarris, been having my '12 Camber Expert since 7 months ago, loving everything that the bike has to offer except for the Formula The One brakes that came with it. Regular brake seize and LBS here doesnt have any spares even down to the simplest brake pads. In addition to having hard time to maintain the reliability of the brakes. Still keeping it though (good braking power) until *fingers crossed* someone that really know Formula products are established here. Been running Hope Race Evo for 1 month, very happy with it.

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 368