Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Camber Comp Coming!

Ordering my Camber Comp tomorrow! Can't wait to get it. I will be upgrading, putting my Talas,XO.Thomson and Crossmax Enduro tubeless on it.Not sure how much it will weigh stock or upgraded. Might even try my Fox RP2 to caompare ride with the Ario. I am ordering a medium. I'm 6' tall and the large just felt a bit big for me. I wish the medium had the 90mm stem rather than the 75mm so I could judge fit a bit better.Any reviews on the Tektro brakes? Hope to post pics soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    Ordering my Camber Comp tomorrow! Can't wait to get it. I will be upgrading, putting my Talas,XO.Thomson and Crossmax Enduro tubeless on it.Not sure how much it will weigh stock or upgraded. Might even try my Fox RP2 to caompare ride with the Ario. I am ordering a medium. I'm 6' tall and the large just felt a bit big for me. I wish the medium had the 90mm stem rather than the 75mm so I could judge fit a bit better.Any reviews on the Tektro brakes? Hope to post pics soon.
    Dont ever be ashamed to ask the shop to slap a 90 stem on there for u to test ride the bike with. Most shops will not hesitate to do this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wow Flash, you're changing everything but the frame! I'm 6' tall too and I'm riding a medium Expert, with a 100mm stem. It's perfect for me. IMO, RP2 is a better shock with pedal platform instead of Arios's LO, and will match Tala's level.
    We're waiting for the pics!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr
    Wow Flash, you're changing everything but the frame! I'm 6' tall too and I'm riding a medium Expert, with a 100mm stem. It's perfect for me. IMO, RP2 is a better shock with pedal platform instead of Arios's LO, and will match Tala's level.
    We're waiting for the pics!
    If you had to put a 100mm stem on the Med to get it to fit then you should have gotten a Large with a 75mm stem tbh... What is it with you lot all buying the smallest frame possible then running a huge stem and post to get it to fit? Spesh slackened the angles on the Camber to make it more stable, hence the short stems to keep the steering sweet, then you go and ruin it with a hugely long stem? Buy the right size in the first place...

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    100mm of stem doesn't seem all that hugely long to me (and apparently not to Specialized either). Reach is just about perfect on my large and steering seems plenty quick and precise. The rest of the geometry fits me really well also.

If you're going much past 110mm then I'd say try the next size up or a frame w/ different geometry. Seems like a lot of it comes down to priorities and personal preference though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is one theory. Specialized spec sheet calls for a 90mm stem on the med. Early runs somehow all went out with 75's. The Camber models have the biggest jump in top tube length, 590mm on the med and 625 on the large, 35mm difference. Add that to the short stem on the med and the 105 on the large you have a 70mm difference overall. So in my opinion a 100mm stem is not out of line. I'm going to run the 90 for a while. Alot of 6 ft riders on here are riding the med. Might be a reason for that. I have been riding large's for alot of years. The large Camber didn't feel right to me. Inbetweeners really should try a slightly longer stem on the med and a slightly shorter stem on the large and then make the call.
    Last edited by Flash; 03-10-2011 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member

rear shock issue

Hi all and hello from the UK
    I purchased a Camber Expert at christmass after seeing it in my local shop window, I was totaly blown by its looks, I had been searching for a new ride for a couple of months and had a short list of requirements ie weight, travel and componentry the expert ticked all the boxes and then some of course a couple of components would need upgrading when they ware out but at this price point they are very good (front shifter and cranks). I've already changed the pedals for flatties and have got a set of Easton Haven carbon bars on order.
    Have now had a few great rides on it and it has surpassed my hopes, on one ride I had the afternoon off work so thought I would have an hour out on local single tracks and maybe do about ten miles I ended up doing nearly thirty and only came home because of a pinch flat I got bumping up a curb lol, this bike just encourages you to have fun.
    Now for the bad bit and how I found this forum looking for an answer to a problem with the rear shock, I had noticed that the rear shock didnt seem to be working as it should, there seemed to be to much movement when in locked out mode, it went back to shop and was sent for inspection and came back saying it was working properly, a week later and it has gone back again this time too Specialized own work shop, this time the lock out has packed up completely and the selector switch just spins I am sure it will be sorted no problem but my question is has any one else had or heard of a similar problem with the rear shock.
    I will post some picks of bike and mods when I get it back, I have got three other bikes in garage so I am not rideless while repairs being done but cant be bothered with them after having ridden my gorgeous expert so they will be going on Ebay as soon as possible lol
    Great forum
    Thanks Aaron

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mud Play...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanist666
    Hi all and hello from the UK
    my question is has any one else had or heard of a similar problem with the rear shock.
    Hi Aaron, my rear shock work perfectly.. Sorry that can't help much..

mtbr member

Rear shock update

Hi all
    Got my Camber back from Specialized on Wednesday, with new shock fitted and it was also dicovered that my bottom bracket had allowed water to get in wrecking that too, Specialized have been brilliant and said that I can replace it and they will pay so I have ordered a Hope stainless bearing model

Thanks for reply Samuel it is a help the same as the lack of replies to post is as it means mine is hopefully a one off and just a bit of bad luck on my part, great pics Samuel glad to see some one else doesn't let a bit of wet and mud put them off ridding and having fun.

Took mine out yesterday and did 31 miles, (I use guide maps produced by Rough Ride Guides and they produce maps for all areas in the Uk) the ride I did was from the Chilterns book (#9 epansion pack) and it is a big loop around Reading starting in Theale, up into Pangbourne, then a great single track descent to the Thames which you follow till Caversham and into Reading then take a turn off on to the Kennet and Avon cannal which you then follow all the way back to Theale.
    Thanks from a very Happy Aaron

mtbr member

my hot ride

Here are some pics of my bike and things I have added. Planned upgradees are Hope bottom bracket and a set of Easton Haven carbon handle bars both on order will let you know how they suit the bike
    Official Specialized Camber Thread-002.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-003.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-004.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-001.jpg

Official Specialized Camber Thread-30122010019.jpg

The frame size is large and at 5 10" suits me perfect although all my previous bikes have been a lot smaller as I like bmx type feel of a small frame, this bike much more suits my changing ridding style as I now preffer to do all day rides and lots of miles
    Roll on the next ride
    Aaron

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Glad to hear they got you taken care of.

What's that fender kit? Is it relatively easy to get on and off?

mtbr member
    Hi Sid
    The guard on frame is held on by elasticated bands and the rear is bolted so not quick release, these are from Crud, the front wheel one is a Topeak Defender M1 and I fitted this one because it has thumb buttons on the front and rear sections so they can be taken off leaving just the mounting under the fork head, they also do a rear called the M2 which is also quick release, personaly I thought the rear was a little narrow, hope this is helpfull
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had put on a silver carbon fiber sticker in between the cable and the frame; also some stickers on seat/ chain stay to prevent scratches..

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    That is one theory. Specialized spec sheet calls for a 90mm stem on the med. Early runs somehow all went out with 75's. The Camber models have the biggest jump in top tube length, 590mm on the med and 625 on the large, 35mm difference. Add that to the short stem on the med and the 105 on the large you have a 70mm difference overall. So in my opinion a 100mm stem is not out of line. I'm going to run the 90 for a while. Alot of 6 ft riders on here are riding the med. Might be a reason for that. I have been riding large's for alot of years. The large Camber didn't feel right to me. Inbetweeners really should try a slightly longer stem on the med and a slightly shorter stem on the large and then make he call.
    Another 6 ft'er here. I went large bike with shorter stem. It all depends on how you get to 6 ft. For me, it's long torso, short arms. I agree with Flash...try both sizes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are any of you all jumping your Camber? If so what will it handle. There is a new creek jump with about a 3-4 ft. gap that just got put in on one of our trails. Will it handle some larger jumps?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I need to know....could the CAMBER 29er be a race bike ???

Maybe a 1 X10 setup, with some lighter wheels and tires.....what would a medium or large get down to if you built it as as race bike.

Epic 29er is nice, but what about a EVO CAMBER - 23-25lbs would be okay for racing.

cheers...thx

JRA
    My Camber Elite 29er was 30 lbs out-of-the-box. With a race wheel set (like Stans ZTRs) and an upgraded XT/XTR drive train (Cranks, BB, cassette & chain), I could see getting the weight down to 26 or 27 lbs or so. But if you wanted to put $1,800 worth of parts on a $1,900 bike, why wouldn’t you just buy an Epic 29er to start with and save $500?

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    My large Camber Pro 26er was an oz under 28lbs almost 100% stock w/ XT SPD pedals and MK SS 2.4 F, 2.2 R tires w/ tubes.

29er would probably be more of a stretch to get to 25lbs w/o spending an obscene amount of money on, but 26er seems totally reasonable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am 5.10 and run a 90mm stem on my med Camber. It came with a 75 and I felt pushed back on the bike. Also, out of the saddle, my knees almost hit my hands and I kept wanting to be over the front more. I tried a 105 and it was too much. I put the 90 on, moved the seat slightly forward and it feels perfect now. Sitting over the back wheel felt strange to me but I rode a HT for 11 years with a 110 so I guess it is just what suits you best. My "perfect" setup is when my handlebar is blocking the view of the front hub when I look down from a seated position. Not scientific, but it works for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Camber as a RACE BIKE - for an older guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus
    My Camber Elite 29er was 30 lbs out-of-the-box. With a race wheel set (like Stans ZTRs) and an upgraded XT/XTR drive train (Cranks, BB, cassette & chain), I could see getting the weight down to 26 or 27 lbs or so. But if you wanted to put $1,800 worth of parts on a $1,900 bike, why wouldn’t you just buy an Epic 29er to start with and save $500?
    The EPIC 29er has all those upgrades that cause parts to become redundant: the rear axle 12x142, Headset and BB issues.

I want a frame that I can build with std wheels - if the CAMBER doesnt get low enough in wieght I can take those wheels over to a carbon 29er HT frame.

So the Camber Pro 29er has been ordered and it will be built with lite parts - XX trans, haven wheels, Renegade tire....might do 1X10 if it needs to be lighter. Full on cockpit for racing.

Pictures will be about 3 weeks......later...LC

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The pro 29er weighs 28.5 out of the box, I'm sure you can get it under 27 with stans rims and xx cassette. Close to 26 with a set of race tires. Then close to 25 with carbon bars, post, and a few xx parts here and there but by then your dollar per loss in gram starts to sky rocket. I'm planning to do the rims/cassette, then upgraded as parts wear out. Inthink I'm going to upgrade to 9mm/10mm thru axles in the standard dropouts when I go with the stans, anyone see any downside to this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanist666
    Here are some pics of my bike and things I have added. Planned upgradees are Hope bottom bracket and a set of Easton Haven carbon handle bars both on order will let you know how they suit the bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	2817 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	599686

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	1956 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	599687

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	2509 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	599688

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	2956 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	599690

Name:	30122010019.jpg 
Views:	2061 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	599692

The frame size is large and at 5 10" suits me perfect although all my previous bikes have been a lot smaller as I like bmx type feel of a small frame, this bike much more suits my changing ridding style as I now preffer to do all day rides and lots of miles
    Roll on the next ride
    Aaron

moto style fenders? it's not an '02 enduro. terrible. and a hipster cyst to boot. i know i'm not the only one to think this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 582fresh
    moto style fenders? it's not an '02 enduro. terrible. and a hipster cyst to boot. i know i'm not the only one to think this.
    I prefer the less is more so with you on that

mtbr member

good looking or not

Hi Guys both your commemnts are correct not the best look maybe, but I ride here in the Uk all year round and that means mud, grit and more mud durring the winter. They can be removed come the better weather and my paint work will be undamaged

Page 11 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast