Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.

Who else is going to buy one? I'm getting one Around the beginning of September.

mtbr member
    I still dont think I've been able to find the color way's for the new Comp's anywhere. Are there photo's of the COMP's? I've seen the others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    I still dont think I've been able to find the color way's for the new Comp's anywhere. Are there photo's of the COMP's? I've seen the others.
    I've only seen pictures of the color ways at my LBS. This year Black/Charcoal (very similar to the 2013 stumpy fsr comp 29 Black/Charcoal) and Black/ Cyan (looks just like the 2013 Enduro 29 Comp color way)

Kind of bummed there is no Red/Black this year, I'm not really interested in the Avid Brakes. So I'm placing a preorder for a 2014 Black/Charcoal.
    Also the 2014 is $50 cheaper! $2650

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Was able to find this info, answers your question about colors and specs
    Stumpjumper Comp EVO 29 Alloy - iceman2058 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Did anyone was able to preorder it though LBS?

mtbr member
    I can preorder through my LBS, told me earliest arrival date would be September 1.

mtbr member
    Cant' wait to see some lucky owners. I'll pass on it for this years as I still have to enjoy my 2013 FSR Elite a lot. Going for the 2015 one,I'm sure that should be the year for an all new Stumpy FSR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Decided to place an order for stumpy evo, was told on my LBS it will be here only in October.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Was considering a Stumpy FSR comp until I saw the 2014 29er Comp EVO.Love it. First 29er, First Specialized.

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-img_0271.jpgOfficial 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-img_0268.jpg
    Last edited by ownerofdog; 08-16-2013 at 05:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Two days ago I purchased a Comp 2013 but the dealer called me today and asked me if want it to exchange it for a 2014 but he could not show me the colors... Is it worth it ? I really like the black charcoal 2013 and I'm very concerned about a color I would not like. Any technical differences ? Please help !

mtbr member
    I'd say yes just based on the '13 CTD up front alone. Fox admitted it had problems and with the 14 you get the newer "fixed" version. And then theirs resale value?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Chuch, thanks for your advice ! I ordered a black charoal / white 14... I have no idea what it looks like but at least I'll get a better bike for the same money.

mtbr member
    I think that's a pretty rad deal man and its hard to go wrong with Black/White combinations. Congrats and post us up a pic when she shows up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Will do ! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Black charcoal

I was able to find a picture of a black charcoal on a german store. The image is low quality but gives you a clear idea of the new look...
    This is the link : ROCKERS Bikeshop | SPECIALIZED Stumpjumper FSR COMP 29 2014 -Black/Charcoal- Gr.XL | Komm nach Bochum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-stump-2014.png  

mtbr member
    Here's mine:

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Moabdude, congratulations ! That's one good looking bike ! I hope the one they give me is like yours, I really like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Looks like a great bike! Is it much different from the 2013 model? Because the 2013 26 is on sale at my local bike store and Im wondering if its worth the buy..

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pictospy View Post
    Looks like a great bike! Is it much different from the 2013 model? Because the 2013 26 is on sale at my local bike store and Im wondering if its worth the buy..
    Big difference. First this is a 29er compared to the 26 so ride them each to decide what your looking for. As for components right off the bat the 2014 has better brakes and a different Fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am considering buying the 29er SJ FSR 2013 black/red and replace the brakes,rearD
    to XT/XTR and also the shifters to xtr and front D to Xtr.
    i had the Carve Pro and i upgraded it with XTR/XT xtr shifters Fron and backD XT cranks
    XT casette and Chain .
    Then iwas in a accident hit by a car and that was abot it so now i am in a need of a new bike i really liked the Carve one of the best MTBīs i ever owned and i am considering the Crave Pro/ SJ fsr 2013 donīt know which to choose yet the Epic Expert WC is too expensive

so what you guys recommed HT/FSR?

regards
    Pekka

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Black / White 2014

I finally received my new 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. I'm pretty happy with the colors and overall appearance. Sorry for the quality of the pics but I have not been able to take it for a spin yet. Hope you like it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-imag0321.jpg  

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-imag0322.jpg  

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-imag0323.jpg  

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-imag0324.jpg  

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-imag0325.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cool Bike what components are on it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi juanh!
    =======

1. Your new bike looks goooooood!!! I really like the black & white color combination,
    so you should be happy with the colors and appearance.

2. It's good you got the 2014, because from what I read on forums, the RS Pike is an excellent fork, a lot better than the 32 and 34 Fox forks.

safe rides, Mo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Hi juanh!
    =======

2. It's good you got the 2014, because from what I read on forums, the RS Pike is an excellent fork, a lot better than the 32 and 34 Fox forks.
    That model does not come with the Pike, it comes with the Revelation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is the revelation a 32?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey juanh, just noticed your front brake hose is routed on the outside of the fork. Move that to the inside. I would also check all bolts and make sure their torqued to spec. Safety first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Is the revelation a 32?
    Yes, 32mm stanchions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Stumpynerd, I really appreciate your advice. I'm just a beginner so I need all the help I can get.
    Thanks!

Enviado desde mi HTC One usando Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks, feel free to shoot out any more questions about your stumpy. That front brake hose could catch on something on the trail if its routed to the outside.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry, I mixed it up with the 2014 Enduro 29 comp SE that has the Pike instead of the 2013 Fox 34.

Anyway, as a 2 year Trek Rumblefish owner (2012 base model) - I enjoy the revelation very much, so much I prefer it over a Fox fork.

Mo.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi All,
    May I ask how much you did pay for your bike ? a LBS in south Bay Area has 2014 on sale Stumpy comp for $2429 and 2013 for $2500. I'm still debating which I should go for, coming for Trek Fuel EX 26', Please share. ((PM if possible)
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    HVC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    Hi All,
    May I ask how much you did pay for your bike ? a LBS in south Bay Area has 2014 on sale Stumpy comp for $2429 and 2013 for $2500. I'm still debating which I should go for, coming for Trek Fuel EX 26', Please share. ((PM if possible)
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    HVC
    I live in Colombia, South America, and paid about $3.000 usd... but the prices here tend to be higher than USA. I had to choose between 2014 and 2013 but thanks to the good people of this forum I was adviced to take the new model. Among other improvements the new fork and brakes are supposed to be better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm going to place an order for a 2014 stumpy comp evo today, they don't have any in stock but I need to pick the color. There are two options matte black and a white and black. I was hoping to see some hi res pics before I decide. I noticed some similar paint schemes on bikes on previous page but not sure if they are evo bikes or if all paint schemes are shared. In the past the evos were a different color.
    Any help is appreciated
    I

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Kabob King, the pics I've posted on page 1 are the 2014 comp evo. The matte black is very black!
    I love the stealth look but more important is the ride. Don't get too hung up on colours.
    The bike is amazing to ride. Once you're on it you won't care about the colour.
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any of you guys considering a 2014 26er stumpy evo?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks ownerofdog,

I think most likely I will go for all black like you did. The reason I choose this bike was I had a chance to ride a friends 2013 and I loved it. I'm 5"8 and the med 26" fit like a glove. It looks like 2014 uses the dangler instead of chain guide of the 13.
    Do you have anymore pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Any of you guys considering a 2014 26er stumpy evo?
    Yes I'm placing my order for the 26". I prefer 26" wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Only ones like these taken with phone. Not the greatest of quality.

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-img_0286.jpgOfficial 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-img_0267.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabob King View Post
    It looks like 2014 uses the dangler instead of chain guide of the 13.
    If that's the case no worries. I actually removed my roller wheel and replaced with a dangler. I have to say the dangler is less noticeable, does just a good job, and is a good bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for posting that pic. Its the angle I wanted to see. I was curious what the wording on the bike would look like. Looks good. Also I just out my deposit down for the evo about 1hr ago. Thanks for the pic

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    If that's the case no worries. I actually removed my roller wheel and replaced with a dangler. I have to say the dangler is less noticeable, does just a good job, and is a good bit lighter.
    Thanks for the info on the dangler. I rode my buddies 2013 evo with the roller and loved how quiet it kept everthing. I was worried the dangler would not do as good of a job

lurking no more
    Interested in '13 or '14 Evo 29 comp, does anybody tried to convert roval rims into tubeless with tape and valve?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @ ownerofdog:

How is the CTD setting for the shock working on your bike? I bought a 2014 Comp Evo 29 as well and can hardly feel a difference between the settings.

Trying CTD shocks on friends' bikes (different bikes though) I felt significant differences, even a almost lockout situation in the C position.

Please share your experiences because right now I am preparing to send in the shock to a Fox service partner.

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofdog View Post
    Hi Kabob King, the pics I've posted on page 1 are the 2014 comp evo. The matte black is very black!
    I love the stealth look but more important is the ride. Don't get too hung up on colours.
    The bike is amazing to ride. Once you're on it you won't care about the colour.
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nocnypatrol.org View Post
    Interested in '13 or '14 Evo 29 comp, does anybody tried to convert roval rims into tubeless with tape and valve?
    Roval Rims are Tubeless ready. There is a thread in the wheels and tires section that the Roval rep is on. Do a search in there he's pretty good at answering questions also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi is that Stumpy comp evo carbon?
    and what is the difference between the Reba and Revelation?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by backstein View Post
    @ ownerofdog:

How is the CTD setting for the shock working on your bike? I bought a 2014 Comp Evo 29 as well and can hardly feel a difference between the settings.

Trying CTD shocks on friends' bikes (different bikes though) I felt significant differences, even a almost lockout situation in the C position.

Please share your experiences because right now I am preparing to send in the shock to a Fox service partner.
    Hi backstein,
    99% of my riding is in the trail position so can't offer an expert opinion. To be honest I haven't spent any time in descend and don't feel I need to. I'm not a downhiller or big jumper but I do ride trails that are heavy going on both bike and rider. I do have both the shock and fork set just below recommended and am noticing that I get a lot of pedal strike. It has required a change in riding technique/timing.
    Playing around on the road I do notice a difference between the trail and climb settings. If I was you I'd speak to your dealer.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

@nocnypatrol, I think you'll find that the comp versions are all alloy.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all those who posted above, as it helped me pull the trigger on a 2014 Stumpy FSR Comp EVO 29 last night. Bike should be here in 2 weeks.

Those of you with the Comp versions (EVO or standard), what have been your impressions of the Formula C1 brakes so far. Keepers?

Thx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Highcamp, the brakes so far are working properly. Congrats on your new Evo! Please post some pics when you get it. :-)

Enviado desde mi HTC One usando Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    during my first 100km the brakes worked fine, a little noisy sometimes, but nothing compared to older formula models like the rx.

sadly my shock wasnt working properly, but the fox service partner seems to be quick and maybe I can be on my bike again on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Finally pic for you all. Absolutely the funnest bike I've ever owned!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice bike... is that an expert model? I noticed it does not have the red accents I have seen on other stumpy evo's

mtbr member
    Nice bike... is that an expert model? I noticed it does not have the red accents I have seen on other stumpy evo's
    Thank you for the kind words. My bike is a 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Hope

i am looking at the epic carbon expert 2013
    or the 2014 Stumpy Fsr elite the stumpy is a M5 frame but it has some nice components but i wonder over the Fork on the 2014 stumpy series
    it is a Fox 34 CTD fork and it has a mini brain as well now the stumpy is cheaper.
    But how good is the fork i know they had issues with the different settings on the fork are those issues fixed perhaps?
    and is it better to get the stumpy over the Epic?
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 08-29-2013 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So I just got my new 2014 stumpy comp evo yesterday and I'm not thrilled with the breaks so far. My friend has the 2013 version with avids instead and they stop much faster. I'm hoping this breaks just need to be broken in. Does anyone know if it makes a difference?

Elitest thrill junkie
    So I just got my new 2014 stumpy comp evo yesterday and I'm not thrilled with the breaks so far. My friend has the 2013 version with avids instead and they stop much faster. I'm hoping this breaks just need to be broken in. Does anyone know if it makes a difference?
    It makes a difference, but if the shop spilled oil/lube/anything oily on the rotor when building it, it doesn't matter what kind of brakes you have, they ruined the pads.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I put together a nice Stumpy vs. Tallboy LTc video over Labor Day. Check It out!!!
    Specialized Stumpy vs. Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    do you guys think this would be a good alternative to the Carbon epic expert

Specialized Bicycle Components

it has almost the same components as the epic it ha brain for the rear shock and a command post i was thinking carbon is a bit more fragile than alloy frames for rocks and such that could hit crucial places so what you think epic or stumpy? there is a huge price difference between he stumpy and the epic where the epic is more expensive but has 2x brain and carbon/alloy frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It makes a difference, but if the shop spilled oil/lube/anything oily on the rotor when building it, it doesn't matter what kind of brakes you have, they ruined the pads.
    So I took the bike out for a ride down some switchbacks yesterday and the brakes really improved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well me and my fiance arenīt in an agreement about the price so it wonīt be my new bike you guys wiht the Stumpy comp evo what do you think of the bike brakes,gears and all and all as a bike?

this will be my first "new" FS bike i had a giant nrs frame once for a year ago or so but it was from 2004 and i didnīt get that plush fs feeling from it.

so can the Stumpy Evo be a good first "New" FS bike?
    and how is it to pedal up hills,trails anything going up is it very soft in the rear or is it ok?
    i donīt know much about the stump jumper not the epic either so iīm a bit lost int this jungle
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 09-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    well me and my fiance arenīt in an agreement about the price so it wonīt be my new bike you guys wiht the Stumpy comp evo what do you think of the bike brakes,gears and all and all as a bike?

this will be my first "new" FS bike i had a giant nrs frame once for a year ago or so but it was from 2004 and i didnīt get that plush fs feeling from it.

so can the Stumpy Evo be a good first "New" FS bike?
    and how is it to pedal up hills,trails anything going up is it very soft in the rear or is it ok?
    i donīt know much about the stump jumper not the epic either so iīm a bit lost int this jungle
    My LBS loaned me a 2013 Epic Carbon Expert 29 for the last month while I was waiting for my 2014 Stumpy Evo Comp 29 to come in. It was awesome of them! I put about 50 miles on the Epic and I really liked it. Its fairly light at about 26 lbs and the bike hauls ass on smooth flowy singletrack. It suited me well and made the wait for the stumpy evo bearable. The ride style is completely different from the stumpy evo though... strictly cross country. It only has 100mm of travel and I definitely felt that on some technical downhill sections. The center of gravity is also much higher to help on climbs but that led to me sliding out a few times and gashing my legs while trying to make that bike corner like a stumpy evo. I got a short travel 29er last year as my first MTB in a while and I immediately wished I would have gone with more travel. The stumpy is a a lot of bike and it climbs well and you would love it... but if you are really torn between the two I would suggest taking a look at a 2014 Camber or Camber evo. 120mm travel. It sits right in the middle and it has a lot of rave reviews. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

2014 came in!

After a month of being on order from my LBS, this guy finally rolled through the door on Friday. Took it out on a couple of rides and I have some feedback for you all.

This is a size XL for my 6'3" frame and 36" inseam but I feel that I would also be at home on a L size frame. The front end is tall to help the rider be in a neutral position on the bike on gnarly downhill segments. It just felt a lot different from the Epic Expert Carbon 29 XL I was coming from.

My first ride I noticed climbing was a little awkward compared to the Epic I came from (more on this later). The front end is TALL, the stock stem is pretty long, and the handlebars are WIDE. This all made exaggerating the turn a necessity as it took more in the form of turning to get up the technical switchbacks I was climbing. Upon descending, I noticed one thing immediately... the suspension is awesome. I opened it up, adjusted the rebound to fast and switched from climb to descend on the Fox Float CTD and it responded amazingly. I also was a huge fan of the Revelation fork. Very plush and adjustable for climbs and descents. The actuation of the dropper command post is smooth (NO seat wiggle this year either!). For the downhill I did, the middle position was perfect. It was very easy to actuate the dropper on the fly no matter where you were on the trail. Very well placed trigger. The DH section that usually took a lot of body english and effort on the EPIC seemed like a stroll through the park on the stumpy evo. I didn't really push the bike since we were just getting acquainted. At the bottom of the hill I checked Strava and was disappounted to find that I finished considerably slower that my PR I had set for that DH segment on Strava. I knew the bike could be pushed hard and wanted to go faster... it was totally rider error and getting used to the new rig.

Before heading back up the hill, I wanted to make a few adjustments to achieve a similar fit to the Epic that I felt so comfortable on. First I adjusted the seat position. I moved the seat as far forward and down as it would go. This was necessary especially with the XL frame, the seat tube angle makes the seat angle back more than a M or L size frame. This new position for me helped me still feel "in" the bike (especially with the post dropped) but gave me that sense of control and power of being on "top" of it while climbing. It also helped with my sore taint. I was definitely feeling it from that first climb. Once that was done I went back up the hill. I instantly felt more at home and my taint was thanking me. I crushed my PR on that climb that I set on my Epic! I was shocked. Consider that... with my new stumpy evo, I demolished a PR I had set the week before on a pure XC carbon bike ... needless to say this thing holds its own on climbs. On the second go on the DH section, I PR'd again. Not by much, but as I get more comfortable on this bike I can see that time getting lower and lower. I was still holding it back. The adjustments were spot on. This bike rips once you get a feel for the geometry and make the adjustments you need to.

GRIPES. The brakes. I did not bed the brakes in like I should have but thought they would be fine given that they weren't the Avids this time around. About half way through my second ever descent on this bike (the PR one) the front brake started a high squeal but still braked well, but the back brake sounded like a donkey in heat and vibrated the whole bike to the point of losing control. I'm going to take it in and have it looked at, but this makes me nervous. The shiftings need to be adjusted on the X9 in the back. Not too sure the kid at the LBS spent a lot of time lining them up. Other than that, its all good.

Oh, and the Black on black is dead sexy. I'm going to slap some red CB mallet 3's on here next week too. Not that it really matters, but I like looking at the bike when I'm not riding it.

Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-9665776240_524b099060_b.jpg
    Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.-9662544291_983c178e32_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great review. I too am your size 6ft 3, 35 inseam. I ride a XL 2012 stumpy fsr comp 26er. Dont dispute the size, on the large my post was sky high near max line for climbing. I would recommend seeing if the caliper is aligned with the pads and check to see if the pistons are moving in equal distance to the rotor. Make sure to torque all bolts to spec, and I would also swap the stem out for a 70mm. Made a world of difference for my bike, especially up hill switchbacks. Also, convert to tubeless. You will need to tape the rim before mounting up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yeah... looking at the picture I took above... the seat post is already high... it would only be exacerbated with a L size. I will have to check on the pads as I have not heard anyone else having issues with the C1 brakes. Good to know on the stem.

Funny story. I went tubeless out of the gate. Picked up the bike, rode it around the block that night... went out the next morning. Flat. Just that that the bead had not seated yet. Pumped it up... nope. There was a micro-puncture in the sidewall that I had to put a patch kit on. Sucked because it delayed my ride an hour. You think my LBS will swap the tire out since it came like that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep 90 day guarantee on specialized tires. If you dont like them they will even replace them!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
    My LBS loaned me a 2013 Epic Carbon Expert 29 for the last month while I was waiting for my 2014 Stumpy Evo Comp 29 to come in. It was awesome of them! I put about 50 miles on the Epic and I really liked it. Its fairly light at about 26 lbs and the bike hauls ass on smooth flowy singletrack. It suited me well and made the wait for the stumpy evo bearable. The ride style is completely different from the stumpy evo though... strictly cross country. It only has 100mm of travel and I definitely felt that on some technical downhill sections. The center of gravity is also much higher to help on climbs but that led to me sliding out a few times and gashing my legs while trying to make that bike corner like a stumpy evo. I got a short travel 29er last year as my first MTB in a while and I immediately wished I would have gone with more travel. The stumpy is a a lot of bike and it climbs well and you would love it... but if you are really torn between the two I would suggest taking a look at a 2014 Camber or Camber evo. 120mm travel. It sits right in the middle and it has a lot of rave reviews. Good luck!
    ok thx well i am has always been a more of a XC guy than freeride/downhill
    but if that you say about teh Epic is true then it is all i have expected from it well you certainly helped me alot sir thank you alot

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    After a month of being on order from my LBS, this guy finally rolled through the door on Friday. Took it out on a couple of rides and I have some feedback for you all.

This is a size XL for my 6'3" frame and 36" inseam but I feel that I would also be at home on a L size frame. The front end is tall to help the rider be in a neutral position on the bike on gnarly downhill segments. It just felt a lot different from the Epic Expert Carbon 29 XL I was coming from.

My first ride I noticed climbing was a little awkward compared to the Epic I came from (more on this later). The front end is TALL, the stock stem is pretty long, and the handlebars are WIDE. This all made exaggerating the turn a necessity as it took more in the form of turning to get up the technical switchbacks I was climbing. Upon descending, I noticed one thing immediately... the suspension is awesome. I opened it up, adjusted the rebound to fast and switched from climb to descend on the Fox Float CTD and it responded amazingly. I also was a huge fan of the Revelation fork. Very plush and adjustable for climbs and descents. The actuation of the dropper command post is smooth (NO seat wiggle this year either!). For the downhill I did, the middle position was perfect. It was very easy to actuate the dropper on the fly no matter where you were on the trail. Very well placed trigger. The DH section that usually took a lot of body english and effort on the EPIC seemed like a stroll through the park on the stumpy evo. I didn't really push the bike since we were just getting acquainted. At the bottom of the hill I checked Strava and was disappounted to find that I finished considerably slower that my PR I had set for that DH segment on Strava. I knew the bike could be pushed hard and wanted to go faster... it was totally rider error and getting used to the new rig.

Before heading back up the hill, I wanted to make a few adjustments to achieve a similar fit to the Epic that I felt so comfortable on. First I adjusted the seat position. I moved the seat as far forward and down as it would go. This was necessary especially with the XL frame, the seat tube angle makes the seat angle back more than a M or L size frame. This new position for me helped me still feel "in" the bike (especially with the post dropped) but gave me that sense of control and power of being on "top" of it while climbing. It also helped with my sore taint. I was definitely feeling it from that first climb. Once that was done I went back up the hill. I instantly felt more at home and my taint was thanking me. I crushed my PR on that climb that I set on my Epic! I was shocked. Consider that... with my new stumpy evo, I demolished a PR I had set the week before on a pure XC carbon bike ... needless to say this thing holds its own on climbs. On the second go on the DH section, I PR'd again. Not by much, but as I get more comfortable on this bike I can see that time getting lower and lower. I was still holding it back. The adjustments were spot on. This bike rips once you get a feel for the geometry and make the adjustments you need to.

GRIPES. The brakes. I did not bed the brakes in like I should have but thought they would be fine given that they weren't the Avids this time around. About half way through my second ever descent on this bike (the PR one) the front brake started a high squeal but still braked well, but the back brake sounded like a donkey in heat and vibrated the whole bike to the point of losing control. I'm going to take it in and have it looked at, but this makes me nervous. The shiftings need to be adjusted on the X9 in the back. Not too sure the kid at the LBS spent a lot of time lining them up. Other than that, its all good.

Oh, and the Black on black is dead sexy. I'm going to slap some red CB mallet 3's on here next week too. Not that it really matters, but I like looking at the bike when I'm not riding it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9665776240_524b099060_b.jpg 
Views:	64490 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	829091
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9662544291_983c178e32_b.jpg 
Views:	74835 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	829090
    that is one heck of a good lookin two wheeler

really nice bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    By the way dont forget to set sag. People often set the back and forget about the front. I run 25% front and back. Great article on setting sag.

Workshop: Setting Up Mountain Bike Suspension - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Question to those with the 2014 Comp/EVO 29:

Just got my Comp EVO 29 this eve (stoked!), but am not really sure the Revelation fork is working as designed - or perhaps it is, I'm just not used to newer style forks (last one was from '08).

Basically I can't tell much difference between the 3 settings on the fork suspension. They all compress pretty similarly during a garage test. And yes, I know garage tests don't mean much, but all all my previous forks had clear differences between full on compression and the firmest setting (essentially being locked out).

What I can tell is that the 2 loosest positions make zero noise when compressing, and the 'Firm' setting sounds like it's almost actuating a blow-out valve (from older days), as there is a 'woosh' sound. Before getting the bike, I figured 'Firm' meant locked-out, pretty rigid, as they were on my earlier Fox and RockShox forks. But the tech said nowadays they don't have a full lock-out setting.

So, wanted to get the feedback from the folks who have the same fork. When garage testing, is there a noticeable difference between the fork settings? Does the 'firm' setting still have a lot of give to it? And does that 'firm' setting also make a different sound during compression as compared to the looser settings?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah, my fork is similar, but on a trail you can notice a difference between all three settings.

And to be honest, even in steep inclines I keep my fork open and as long as I dont go out of saddle there is not the slightest movement due to pedaling. But it absorbs every bump wonderfully.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the reply, Backstein, definitely appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You are welcome!

Just got back from a 30 minutes wake up ride and tried out a few jumps in a skate park.

Now my question: What kind of trails / grounds are you guys riding with your stumpjumper?
    I am a little worried to demand too much from the bike, when it comes to higher drops, especially with flat asphalt landings as they are in the skate park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Did anybody's 2014 Stumpy come with tubeless valve stems in a bag? I've seen some threads from 2013 where new bikes had them with the owner's manual.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by highcamp View Post
    Did anybody's 2014 Stumpy come with tubeless valve stems in a bag? I've seen some threads from 2013 where new bikes had them with the owner's manual.
    I had my LBS set everything up for that I bought it from. I went tubeless from the get-go so I'm not sure. Sorry!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Does anybody know how much a 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 weigh in an XXL frame? I just got mine a couple of a days ago and I am quite impressed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can anybody explain why the medium-size frame for this bike has only 741mm standover height while the small frame has a taller 750mm standover?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had my LBS set everything up for that I bought it from. I went tubeless from the get-go so I'm not sure. Sorry!
    I got mine (size small) yesterday and did the exact same thing. I was told by my LBS that yes they do come with valve stems with all the other papers.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Does anyone have an opinion on the 2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp vs the EVO?
    I test rode the Comp and really liked it-am ready to drop a down payment at LBS, but am kind of wondering if the EVO is worth the extra $500?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmojoken View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on the 2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp vs the EVO?
    I test rode the Comp and really liked it-am ready to drop a down payment at LBS, but am kind of wondering if the EVO is worth the extra $500?
    One of my favorite things about the EVO is the dropper post. I am CONSTANTLY using and it gives such an edge on flowy up and down trails. Granted, you could get one added for about $300. Non-evo does just fine on the downhill but the EVO does better. So if that is what you are after, go for the EVO. If the Comp felt good to you, get that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great thread guys...appreciate the info. I'm torn between a '12 Epic Carbon or a new '14 stumpy. What does the evo / expert etc... give you over the comp? Also, how do your stumpy's climb? I'm coming from an 04 S-works Epic that climbs like a rocket. I don't want to lose TOO much in that area. I just like the relaxed riding position of the all mountain compared to the race bike. How do you guys feel that the '14's climb?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Has any of you weighed the SJ FSR Comp in its stock configuration? What's the "score"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Great thread guys...appreciate the info. I'm torn between a '12 Epic Carbon or a new '14 stumpy. What does the evo / expert etc... give you over the comp? Also, how do your stumpy's climb? I'm coming from an 04 S-works Epic that climbs like a rocket. I don't want to lose TOO much in that area. I just like the relaxed riding position of the all mountain compared to the race bike. How do you guys feel that the '14's climb?
    I haven't gotten my Stumpy EVO yet to give first hand feedback, but having researched this heavily I would go with a Camber or standard Stumpy if you want to retain as much speed as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Re: Official 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 Thread.

I wish my lbs had a camber i could demo. By standard you mean the base comp stumpy? I figured the model with the brain would climb pretty well.

sent using tapatypo

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2014 SJ Comp brake and fork question

Hi all

I am ordering a SJ Comp FSR in XLarge. Two concerns I have on the build kit are the Formula brakes and the RS Revelation.

Anyone liking the Formula??

Is the 32mm Revelation stiff enough for the 5 inch travel?

I am 6'3" and 195 with gear.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I wish my lbs had a camber i could demo. By standard you mean the base comp stumpy? I figured the model with the brain would climb pretty well.

sent using tapatypo
    By standard I mean anything not EVO. Brain is all about real-time shock behavior to provide some stiffness when you aren't in the rough stuff so to speak. The less expensive models have adjustable shocks that will help with climbing also. It just isn't as dynamic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been riding stumpys for a long time and have seen them evolve over the years. The new generation frames and forks are way stiffer than just a few years ago. My 08 stumpy had a 32mm fox fork and felt a little flexy. When I got my new stumpy 2012 its way stiffer even though it has 32mm fox fork, but the tapered head tube and thicker rear axle made a world of difference in stiffness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bwj75 View Post
    Hi all

I am ordering a SJ Comp FSR in XLarge. Two concerns I have on the build kit are the Formula brakes and the RS Revelation.

Anyone liking the Formula??

Is the 32mm Revelation stiff enough for the 5 inch travel?

I am 6'3" and 195 with gear on a Large frame.

Thanks for any help.

I followed the brake in procedure for the C1's and they have worked well for me. I'm riding a standard Comp with 130mm of travel, with gear I am 185 and 6'1', no flex issues so far with the front shock.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Im currentl on an 11 epic comp 29 and was thinking of switching to the fsr comp 29. I have my epic set up with a spec riser bar and 90mm spec stem set in the highest position. Even in this set up after about an hour of riding im uncomfortable, neck is hurting, hands hurting and just feeling too stretched out. Im thinking of going to the stumpy fsr comp mainly for the more comfortable geo. Im just wondering if it will still climb well. Im not a racer just a weekend warrior. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Got my SJ FSR Comp 29 yesterday! Took it into pieces and weighed everything. Frame (L) is 3090 grams on Park Tool scale. This is with shock, BB bearings, down tube cable guides, bottle cage bolts and rear gear cable still hanging on frame.

Then I built it up again, removed front derailleur, shifter, chainrings and replaced with RaceFace narrow wide. Shifter was upgraded to Sram X9. This resulted in 12.72 kg, down from 13.01 in stock configuration. Other planned upgrades: ESI grips, 160mm disc to the rear, 180 will be moved to front, saddle, post, handlebar, shorter/lighter stem, tubeless and new tires, wheels. Target is less than 11 kg.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey quick ? did you notice much of a difference with the X9 shifters compared to X7? Considering that and type 2 x9 rear deli. I got a 2012 stumpy with X7 shifters and x9 rear deli without the clutch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    New X9 and X7 have a little shorter lever throw on the downshift (smaller) lever. It's more like a button now. And somehow X9 feels more solid, I'd maybe even use the word stiffer. Might be just in my head and they both shift very well. I'd say there's not much difference but I needed the X7 for another bike and got a good deal for the x9.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a good offer for the 2014 Evo 26 version with zee brakes instead of the stock crap. Can anyone confirm that I'm not going to throw away that Revelation RC3 because of the missing improved damper unit? Is that fork okay?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aenduro View Post
    I have a good offer for the 2014 Evo 26 version with zee brakes instead of the stock crap. Can anyone confirm that I'm not going to throw away that Revelation RC3 because of the missing improved damper unit? Is that fork okay?
    I have 14 evo in 26". Im happy with the fork so far.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    what frame size? btw. do you have pictures?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Trying to decide between the regular comp to the EVO:
    Anyone tried both and can say by how much are the EVO more aggressive? harder to climb with?
    I understand this is subjective, I rode the comp and enjoyed the light-weight, fast pace of trail riding with some rocks and such, but no drops. Not sure I need the 140mm shocks, but price wise the difference is worth the seat post, which i would upgrade in any case.
    So, would getting the EVO be a mistake considering that I enjoyed the regular comp?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shalevy View Post
    Trying to decide between the regular comp to the EVO:
    Anyone tried both and can say by how much are the EVO more aggressive? harder to climb with?
    I understand this is subjective, I rode the comp and enjoyed the light-weight, fast pace of trail riding with some rocks and such, but no drops. Not sure I need the 140mm shocks, but price wise the difference is worth the seat post, which i would upgrade in any case.
    So, would getting the EVO be a mistake considering that I enjoyed the regular comp?
    Thanks.
    Go with what feels best to you. The regular comp is still a very capable trail bike and is a bit more climb-friendly vs the EVO. I really enjoy the seat dropper post of my EVO. I rode an EPIC last year and that thing climbs like nobody's business but my EVO does pretty good too. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way... if you are going to get the dropper post anyway I'd say go with the EVO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

tires

Whats a good all around tires for these bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Tire choice really depends on you type of riding. I've run the stocker 2.3" set, and a set of WTB nanos on much lighter wheels. Lighter, stiffer wheels make a lot of difference. I really like the nano type tires for most of where I ride. In my opinion they are better on everything but mud, and since I mostly ride on rock, gravel, and sandy type soils, the tires with many small lugs work better.

mtbr member
    The EVO shock from Fox has some complaints FYI if you dig.
    The Comp model RS Monarch is well loved and more easily tuned by Push.

mtbr member
    Tires, go for the Maxxis Ardent. You won't regret it
    Get the light non-exo version 2.4 front unless you have to have exrtra side wall protection but just get the 2.25 Ardent for the rear.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 09-11-2014 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    The EVO shock from Fox has some complaints FYI if you dig.
    The Comp model RS Monarch is well loved and more easily tuned by Push.
    Bye chance do you have a number on that shock? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast