mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Noob. Had a few questions on parts.

So I bought a 2006 Enduro expert from a friend of mine for cheap. So far it has treated me good but it needs a few parts. My local bike shop looked over the bike and said I needed a new rear wheel and cassette. As for new tires. The chain was stretched and ended up replacing it while I was at the shop. Everything else looked good they said.

My question is what do you guys recommend for parts? Should I go OEM or upgrade.

Rear wheel? No clue where to start.
    Rear cassette: I think its a Sram PG-1070. Should I upgrade or just buy the same model.
    Tires: They are the OE 26 x 2.30" Specialized Enduro. I wanna upgrade these. Not sure where to start. The bike shop recommended the Continental Mountain King II.

Any info wpuld help.

Thanks

J

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I guess I should mention Ive riding it for two months now and new to the sport. So im not doing anything crazy. Just local tails. No DH or major jumps/drops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    After market would be great! I don't know if you'll be able to order an OEM wheel though since its a few years old already. It really depends on what you plan on doing with the bike. If you're intention is to ride for a few months and sell it, I would recommend getting something nice but not over kill because u'll be getting rid of the bike soon. You can get a $300 wheel-set or a $1000 wheel-set, depends on what you want and how deep your pockets are. As for cassette, there are tons of cassettes you can get for under $100 bucks.

Tires, i would do some research. Check the MTBR tire review search. Im sure you can find something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So after some research I found out that i have a shimano cs-HG50 cassette not the Sram PG-1070. The chain I'm running is a Sram prowerglide 991 Hollow pin. I looked at the reviews on cassettes and found out the Sram Powerglide 970 gets high reviews. So I think I'm gonna go with that one. As for tires I think I'm gonna try the Kenda Nevegal in 26x2.35. Still no clue with a rear wheel setup. I didn't realize that they very in price. I got a budget of $300. Ill keep searching. Any input would help on this part.