mtbr member

No Kashima coat on non-S Works shocks/forks?

I'm strongly considering a Stumpy FSR Expert 29er, but based on description and pics it looks like Specialized specs this bike with non-Kashima coated shocks and fork. S-Works Stumpy gets the Kashima coat on its Brain and fork, Evo uses the Kashima coated CTD shock but no coat on the fork. Epic line is similar, with Kashima on the S-Works but not the Marathon and below.

I gotta say, I find this kind of annoying. These are $6000+ bikes, AND every single fork and all but the cheapest shocks in the normal Fox lineup has the Kashima coat for 2013. I've only demo'd Kashima-equipped bikes, but it did seem like it make a difference, and Kashima-coated Fox forks are the only ones I've found that compare to the Lefty for smoothness.

So what the heck? Does the big S really specifically request special non-Kashima forks from Fox for it's OEM on the $6400 Stumpy FSR EVO/Expert? Is it nuts that this bugs me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

No Kashima coat on non-S Works shocks/forks?

Drewbird,

Having just bought this bike, I would completely agree with your view point, why not have Kashima coated forks on such an expensive bike. The only saving grace is that the new Fox seals appear to have made up for not having the Kashima coating. But even so the coating should now be the norm and not just for the S works....

Come on Specialized, it cannot cost that much more for you to put Kashima coating across this range of bikes.

However, I love this bike, having just taken it too the Welch mountains (Afan etc) this bike was really quick downhill and just ate up all the rocks and roots that were thrown at it in comparison to my Spec 09 Stumpy Expert.

What I would like to try is the Fox 34 v Fox 32 on this bike as the 34 was designed for 29ers...I assume that Spec didn't do this to save a few grams on the scales.

What do you guys think??

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yes it does bother me. The Kashima on my Ventana is butter.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    I guess I find it particularly egregious because all normal Fox forks have Kashima at this point. The only way to get a non-Kashima Talas 34 29er fork this year is to buy a Specialized. Even the Rumblefish has a Kashima fork.

I almost always buy frames and components and build my own bikes, and this is a major reason. It frustrates me when companies take high-end bikes at high-end prices and spec low-end stuff where they hope customers won't notice. The cranks and rear der. are nice, but the brakes/cassette/bars etc. are cheap-o. The Cannondale Trigger has X7 shifters, on a $5000 aluminum bike! Sorry, but that's BS. (OK, rant over. Stumpy FSR still looks like a sweet bike and I may still get one...)

mtbr member
    coupla' drops of Finish Line Stanchion Lube before the ride and the missing Kashima is not an issue to me. I really wonder what the Stanchion Lube would do on a Kashima coating tho....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    coupla' drops of Finish Line Stanchion Lube before the ride and the missing Kashima is not an issue to me. I really wonder what the Stanchion Lube would do on a Kashima coating tho....
    Will try this. Thanks
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Non K-coating on a 6.4 K bike is a problem and I agree the big S should step and pay the extra $10.00 or so per fork..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the SJ FSR Expert Carbon 29er and could not agree more on the Kashima coating for this high end fork. It works great though....

mtbr member
    That is so annoying. The other thing is that (at least on last years models) you HAD to buy the top end bike if you wanted a fork with a compression adjustment. I am NOT ever going to spend $5k on a bike with a non-adjustable compression fork because that is something that can have a major effect on ride quality.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dklopp View Post
    That is so annoying. The other thing is that (at least on last years models) you HAD to buy the top end bike if you wanted a fork with a compression adjustment. I am NOT ever going to spend $5k on a bike with a non-adjustable compression fork because that is something that can have a major effect on ride quality.
    another good point, I belive the 2013 SJ EVO Carbon 29 Expert fork lacks Adjusting Trail Mode as well. I have one on order, maybe I will cancel it and get a Cube instead.....
    Last edited by PB Matrix; 10-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Finish line lube on a Kashima coated fork is absolutely butter smooth!! Throw in enduro seals and its heaven!!!

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    It is a shame that Spec doesn't have the class to provide a fork on these expensive bikes that doesn't leave people that buy them feeling like they got "taken" a little bit. Option is always to buy another brand but it just feels bad when the bikes are so good otherwise. I went ahead and bought a 2013 Stumpy FSR Carbon 29 Expert knowing it didn't have the Kashima coating. I wanted the bike but was pissed I had to settle for a low end fork just so Specialized could make another $20. I would be totally happy if it didn't feel that I should have gotten better than low grade major components.

I guess Spec feels the pure monetary outcome is more to their favor than keeping customers totally delighted. That does not build customer loyalty in the long run but it is a big company and the short term often over rules good business.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    What exactly is "low grade" about the components on your Expert?
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    On the 29er Expert Carbon, here's the crappy stuff that comes on you $6200 bike:
    -Alloy chainstays (S-Works gets carbon)

-Non-Kashima fork and shock. Yes, you get the Brain, but the only Fox shock without Kashima coat for 2013 is the bottom-of-the-line option. Fox doesn't make a non-Kashima fork for 2013, so that's a special gift from the Big S.

-X7 front deraileur, X9 shifters

-1050-level SRAM cassette, which is in the X7 range

-Henge Comp saddle (cro-mo rails)

-Meh-level aluminum stem/bar

Meanwhile, doing a custom build at CompetitiveCyclist, you can get a Blur LTc (direct Stumpy FSR competitor) with full carbon frame, Talas 140 fork, Kashima everything, FULL X0 2X10 group, and Reverb dropper post for $6290.

I point this out only because I usually think of Specialized complete bikes as being a great bargain; they're a huge company and so much of their OEM spec is house-branded (and good quality) that we expect their complete bikes will undercut competitors with similar quality.

My point is that if you look closely, they're cutting a lot of corners on quality to hit their price points. I find this disappointing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    On the 29er Expert Carbon, here's the crappy stuff that comes on you $6200 bike:

-Non-Kashima fork and shock. Yes, you get the Brain, but the only Fox shock without Kashima coat for 2013 is the bottom-of-the-line option. Fox doesn't make a non-Kashima fork for 2013, so that's a special gift from the Big S.

Meanwhile, doing a custom build at CompetitiveCyclist, you can get a Blur LTc (direct Stumpy FSR competitor) with full carbon frame, Talas 140 fork, Kashima everything, FULL X0 2X10 group, and Reverb dropper post for $6290.

I point this out only because I usually think of Specialized complete bikes as being a great bargain; they're a huge company and so much of their OEM spec is house-branded (and good quality) that we expect their complete bikes will undercut competitors with similar quality.

My point is that if you look closely, they're cutting a lot of corners on quality to hit their price points. I find this disappointing.
    Bars on the expert are s-works carbon. but you are correct everywhere else.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Bars on the expert are s-works carbon. but you are correct everywhere else.
    The bars on the Stumpy FSR expert carbon 29 are not carbon. It is Al. Must be different on the Epic.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post

Thanks for listing all that. All looks right to me for the 13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29. Saved me the time to get the details. I'm just gonna go ride........
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fliernh View Post
    Thanks for listing all that. All looks right to me for the 13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29. Saved me the time to get the details. I'm just gonna go ride........
    Ha, good point and well made. I doubt any of these downgrades will have much of an impact on grin-factor; you could upgrade everything on that list and I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference without looking at it.

With that said, buyer satisfaction is also important. My feeling as a consumer is that Specialized is charging me premium price for a sub-premium product and pocketing the difference, and that bugs me. As I said earlier, the FSR still looks like a sweet bike, and I might get one; I have a demo scheduled for this weekend.