Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    706

    No 26" Epic Carbon?

    I was looking at adding a new horse to the stable to replace the current Epic only to find out that Specialized is not making a 26" carbon frame in anything other than the SWorks or the Evo.

    Furthermore, what gives with the Evo? It looks gimmicky to me.
    BoiseBoy

  2. #2
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,632
    LOL! Perhaps Specialized is finally seeing the light....Carbon fiber cannot take as much abuse as aluminum in the long haul. Nor can it withstand impacts as well as aluminum....

    Go aluminum alloy....
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    106
    What they're saying is, if you really want a lightweight XC race bike, you'll probably want it to be a 29er, especially since they're faster.

    The Evo is all that it's cracked up to be. Trust me, and everyone else whom has ridden them.

  4. #4
    sadly, like the element
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    LOL! Perhaps Specialized is finally seeing the light....Carbon fiber cannot take as much abuse as aluminum in the long haul. Nor can it withstand impacts as well as aluminum....

    Go aluminum alloy....
    And your proof is?

  5. #5
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,632
    Looks to me like Specialized is trying to make 2 bikes out of one with the EVO idea. 120mm of fork travel on what has always been a cross country racer???HUH?! They are trying to fill the gap that the SJ has left behind. Seems like all the travel on their models keeps getting bigger, why? I've always trail ridden 100mm and it will always be enough for me...

    Why did SJ go from 100mm to 120mm and now 140mm plus an EVO 150mm???

    Where does all of this end???

    Are we looking at 250mm travel cross country racers in about 10 years???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  6. #6
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadghost
    And your proof is?
    Proof: Far more CF frame warranty issues than Aluminum...HI!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    The Expert Evo R looks pretty racy to me. Single ring up front and only 100mm front and rear travel.

    Easy enough to add a front der. if you need more gears (I know I would!).

    Cheers!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    131
    ... I faced the same problem with the US 2011 models. I do not ride a 29er, and dont want to...I am small and agile, so i want a smaller, more agile bike... I can not throw around a 29er like i can a 26. Europe(and everyone else, even Canada) got all the 26 models... FYI.
    spesh did away with the bikes I wanted... either a carbon comp, or carbon expert in 26. a little disappointing... I hope they bring one that level back for 2012.

    I know the Epic comp carbon in 26 did not sell very well... but the carbon expert pretty much sold out.

    I like how the EVO R has gotten the brain fork (nice to watch technology trickle down), but I did not want to run a 1x10 all the time... so, buy a new bike and immediately spend $200 more making it a 2x10?

    sorry to rant, but it does suck to feel pressured into a 29er since that is all they are selling in that range... especially when you really dont want one.

  9. #9
    sadly, like the element
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Proof: Far more CF frame warranty issues than Aluminum...HI!
    And your source for warranty numbers? Last I checked (and exactly like you, I didn't actually check a damn thing) nobody publishes warranty numbers on specific bikes / materials.

    So again, proof?

  10. #10
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,632
    I am going STRICTLY by what I read on THIS SITE. This site is big enough to make a global estimate IMO...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,699
    troll ^^

  12. #12
    gnar, brah
    Reputation: Andrewpalooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Looks to me like Specialized is trying to make 2 bikes out of one with the EVO idea. 120mm of fork travel on what has always been a cross country racer???HUH?! They are trying to fill the gap that the SJ has left behind. Seems like all the travel on their models keeps getting bigger, why? I've always trail ridden 100mm and it will always be enough for me...

    Why did SJ go from 100mm to 120mm and now 140mm plus an EVO 150mm???

    Where does all of this end???

    Are we looking at 250mm travel cross country racers in about 10 years???
    If you are paying attention to the trends, you'd notice that downhill and freeride bikes are going DOWN in travel lately.
    Trestle Bike Park

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    I just bought a 2011 26" Epic Expert Carbon. Will post pictures soon

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    troll ^^
    i am confused... you call me a troll because i said I am not a "big" guy?
    I am 5ft 11in tall, but only weigh 145-150lbs... I am lean, and in shape... i assure you, I am no "troll". I like to throw my bike around on the trail, and do not prefer the "boat" feel to the 29ers in curves.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyviking
    i am confused... you call me a troll because i said I am not a "big" guy?
    I am 5ft 11in tall, but only weigh 145-150lbs... I am lean, and in shape... i assure you, I am no "troll". I like to throw my bike around on the trail, and do not prefer the "boat" feel to the 29ers in curves.
    Nobody called you a troll. V.P. called abassadorhawg a troll.

    Also, if you're not familiar with the term on an internet discussion board it is usually used to refer to someone who posts overly argumentative or inflammatory messages with the hope of inciting others to fly off the handle.

    Nice bike iatmadja! Thanks for the pictures!

    Cheers!

  20. #20
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Nobody called you a troll. V.P. called abassadorhawg a troll.

    Also, if you're not familiar with the term on an internet discussion board it is usually used to refer to someone who posts overly argumentative or inflammatory messages with the hope of inciting others to fly off the handle.

    Nice bike iatmadja! Thanks for the pictures!

    Cheers!
    You're right, I am a Troll, online and in life. What a joy it must be to be married to me and to be my friend, LOL!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    You're right, I am a Troll, online and in life. What a joy it must be to be married to me and to be my friend, LOL!
    I didn't call you a troll.

    Maybe I should have said, that it was my impression that V.P. called you a troll.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by iatmadja
    I don't see that 26" model in the Spec catalog. I do see that same color scheme in the 29, though.

    Did you buy an Evo and gear it up?
    Is it just a frame set?
    BoiseBoy

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12
    I bought it like this, haven't done anything to it except the XTR pedals.

  24. #24
    Compelling, and rich.
    Reputation: CasteelG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    I don't see that 26" model in the Spec catalog. I do see that same color scheme in the 29, though.

    Did you buy an Evo and gear it up?
    Is it just a frame set?
    It's not available in the US. It is, however, available in Canada and other markets.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    136
    I bought the same 26" as well, it's available here in Canada thank god.. I didn't want the 29er, which is also still avail. here..

    The 26er has a SiD instead of Reba, and Roval SL's instead of the DT Swiss, for $70 more than the 29er.
    2011 Specialized EPIC Expert Carbon
    2012 Cannondale Flash 29er 1 (on order)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •