old fart
    Mar 2010

No 2011 Epic Marathon Carbon??

Now that the 2011 Spec bikes are out - it is noticeable that the 26" range has a large hole in it below the S-Works. There is no 26" Epic with carbon frame, an E100 shock and top-spec 2x10 gear. You can go single-speed w/ carbon frame (carbon Expert Evo R), or the trail-bike tuned carbon Expert EVO) - but nothing for a competitive XC type outside of the S-Works. Nothing else in carbon. There is far more carbon variety in the Stumpy range.

I thought it was a gimme that a Carbon Marathon with SRAM X0 2x10 would be there.

What gives?

\m/ \m/
    Is there a reason you're sticking with a 26er? The Expert Carbon 29er is a nice looking bike.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There's the Epic Expert Carbon EVO R, which has 26" wheels. It has a 1x10 drivetrain, though.

mtbr member
    There was a 26" 2011 Epic Marathon carbon with a picture and specifications linked to from this thread. The product page has been taken down now but it had full SRAM X-0 and a Specialized E100 fork.

bunch of 2011 pics

It might re-appear sometime perhaps? If you ignore all the 29er models then there aren't many Epic models actually on the Specialized website at the moment.

You sometimes get different models for different markets. In the UK for example you haven't been able to buy an aluminium Epic since 2008 (only the carbon ones were imported) and apparently there's only one 29er Epic model for 2011 in the UK?

The 2011 26" Specialized Epic Expert carbon EVO R is probably the closest model. One of those with a different chainset could be quite nice.

Pictured below: 2011 26" Specialized Epic Marathon carbon (red/ black), although it may not actually be available?

2011 26" Specialized Epic Expert carbon EVO R (white/ black)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No 2011 Epic Marathon Carbon??-2011_epic_expert_carbon_evor.jpg  

No 2011 Epic Marathon Carbon??-2011epic_marathon_carb_red_blk.jpg  

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    There's the Epic Expert Carbon EVO R, which has 26" wheels. It has a 1x10 drivetrain, though.
    Which is my point. What many would be looking for in a competitive XC package is the old Marathon - not a 1x10 singlespeed. You buy the Expert Carbon EVO R, and then you have to fit a 2x10 drivetrain.

Put it another way - in the 26" Epic world, if you had a 2009 Epic Marathon Carbon, what would you upgrade to? In the 2011 line, you only have 29" options. You can't even buy a carbon frame that isn't an S-Works.

Big mistake Specialized. Unless they are yet to roll out more bikes.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    There was a 26" 2011 Epic Marathon carbon with a picture and specifications linked to from this thread. The product page has been taken down now but it had full SRAM X-0 and a Specialized E100 fork.

bunch of 2011 pics

It might re-appear sometime perhaps? If you ignore all the 29er models then there aren't many Epic models actually on the Specialized website at the moment.
    A carbon Marathon with a X.0 2x10 drivetrain and good wheels would seem to be such an obvious model to produce that I find it astonishing that it isn't there. Maybe delayed?

mtbr member
    The 2011 26" Specialized Epic Expert carbon EVO R is the only non S-Works 26" carbon Epic listed on the Specialized US website currently. In previous years there have been lots of different 26" carbon models. It's only just gone live and the other countries sites haven't been updated so maybe there will be some more changes?

There's no 29er Epic Marathon listed either. I like the way they're charging more for a 29er when compared to the equal spec 26" model.

I think I'm more likely to be sticking with a triple chainset on my bike in preference to 1x10 or 2x10 - mainly because my Epic gets used on the road quite a bit. It's bad enough getting dropped from road club runs on the flat due to spinning out the 44x11 (35mph approx @ 115rpm). The graph belows shows me struggling to hold the wheel on a road club run from a few weeks ago.

A tiny 36x11 (29mph @ 115rpm ) top gear would be a complete waste of time as you simply couldn't keep up with the other riders.

1x10 might be ok for some people in some situations if you're strong enough to get up the climbs on it, especially if you're a rider like Julien Absalon or Adam Craig in which case you'd go for a 40T front chainring.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...anced-sl-27012

If you're not that fit then a smaller inner chainring is still useful to have for steep climbs. The granny ring on my bike gets used frequently.

Pictured below: Spinning out my Epic's 44x11 top gear trying to stay with the road club run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No 2011 Epic Marathon Carbon??-44x11spunout.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 08-25-2010 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Here in Australia we are getting a pretty good selection of Epic's this year.

We'll get four 29'ers, which are Comp, Comp Carbon, Expert Carbon and S-Works.

While 26'ers are still more dominant, we'll get Comp, Elite, Comp Carbon, Expert Carbon,
    Marathon Carbon (yes, it lives!) and the S-Works.

All are due on our shelves late September early October.

We do however miss out on all of the Epic Evo's.... in fact, the only Evo arriving here will
    the Stumpjumper FSR.

I personally was really hoping for the Stumpy HT Evo, but ah well.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    A full range of 26" models does make more sense than just having a single 26" carbon Epic with 1x10 gearing.

mtbr member
    If you want to see the specifications for the 26" 2011 Epic Marathon carbon, 26" 2011 Epic Expert carbon and 26" 2011 Epic Comp carbon then they appear on the UK Specialized website now.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

I'd assume that these bikes are going to be available in Europe and probably most other countries as well?

They still don't appear on the main US Specialized website however.