mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Newbie question / FSR Elite

Alright, don't laugh. I wanted to get another opinion besides my own.

I own a 2005 Trek Fuel 80. Not a bad bike for a beginner, but I test rode an '07 FSR Expert a few months ago and I really liked it. I was actually considering buying the FSR Comp, not the expert, but the Expert was the only one they had for a demo. Now I have been drooling over an FSR Elite.
    I am a new rider, with alot of determination. I ride X country, but I prefer a more aggressive ride, especially when I am pointed downhill! I probably don't need the 140mm of travel on the fork, but the 100mm on my Trek seems to fall short of what I want. All of the components on either bike are better than the ones on the Trek, so I know that is an upgrade that I will enjoy.
    I know that it will be a step up for either bike, but what I wanted to ask was 2 things:

Do you think that the FSR Elite is going to give me much more ENJOYMENT over the FSR Comp?
    Are they about the same weight? (The FSR that I test rode was heavier than the Comp, but still a little bit lighter than my Trek).

One more thing. I have changed the stem and handlebars to give me a little more height, but I still have a bit of that "over the bars" feeling when I ride the Trek. I did not get that impression with the FSR.

What would YOU do?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a 2002 Trek fuel 90 (heavily upgraded) that I thought was a great bike. Then I cracked the frame in August and decided to buy a Stumpjumper Elite. Let me say up front that the Stumpy Elite blows the Fuel away in every category. I picked the Elite over the Comp because of the mostly Shimano group but mainly because of the fork. Being able to slam the fork to 100 for a climb and then raise it up to 140 for a decent is awesome. However, I keep it at the 120 setting for most riding. So to answer your first question, yes the Elite will be more enjoyable to ride. On my fuel I ran a 120 stem and also had the “over the bars feeling” on occasion. On the Elite I’m running a 110 stem and it feels perfect. I use a size medium in both the Fuel and the Elite. Get the Elite.

mtbr member
    Just don't try out the 6" travel bikes like I did or you'll want that.... I can't even feel the difference when climbing but when descending.... WOW!

dweeby
    I went for the 07 Stumpy comp a year ago and I must say that I enjoy ridding alot more it's a fun kind of bike to ride. It's had the usual little upgrades 0ver the year and I love it.
    The higher end versions come with slightly lighter bits like hubs but then the added wieght of the Brain and ajustable fork. From what I keep hearing most people just end up leaving the fork at 120 so thats why I went for the comp. Oh and it was the only one I could afford

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Remember that now there is no Talas anymore in the Stumpy Fsr.
    I haven't riden a Talas, but I really love my Stumpy Fsr Expert 2008

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Go for the FSR Stumpy Elite, because it has the Shimano LX kit which will last allot longer than the Comps Sram X.7/9 kit and the LX looks allot better, your also getting a very good Fox Talas fork and better brakes (even though I don’t like Avids).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Here is my upgraded 2007 stumpy to drool over:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I was going to buy the comp until the guy at the shop pointed out that the elite has the Talas 32 which has the 100-120-140mm limiting not to mention the Juicy 7's but the Elite was only $220 more than the comp at the shop I bought my bike at.

I would definitely go for the Elite.