mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New question here. Newbie needing help customizing my bike

I went out riding with a buddy of mine and it made me decideto get into the sport. I bought an 04 Specialized S-Works Enduro frame with the Fox Brain rear shock. I decided to customize it instead of buying a whole bike because I figured I'de like to have the bike mechanics/maintenance knowledge seeing as the sport can have some serious ware and tear on bike equipment. I want to build it up to what it was designed for- all mountain, throw what ever you can at it type of bike. However, I still want to be able to use it for street and X-Country riding as well. Budget isn't too limited but I'm not trying to spend any more than a grand if possible. Anyone have any recommendations of parts to look into? Right now I've just bought a bike mechanics book and have been talking a little with a local bike shop. Other than that I'm figuring out everything for the first time and it's definately taking some major esearch. Any and all recommendations are welcome. Thank you.

Elio
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Upgrades thus far...

Ok, so I've made some progress after much research. Here's what I've put on it so far:

- 04 Specialized S-Works Enduro frame
    - 04 Fox Brain rear suspension
    - 07 Rock Shox Revelation 426 air 130 (no U-turn) fork
    - Wheel Set: Continental Diesel Tires, Mavic 819 Rims, SD Swiss spokes, Phil Wood FSC MTB 32-hole Disc Hubs

Any recommendations for gears and disc brakes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    just wanted to say good luck I'd go XT for drivetrain and avid for brakes

mtbr member
    I second that. Can't beat Xt drivetrain, and the juicy's are way too good to pass up. If it gets down to the budget, go with the 5's, not the 7's. I dont even use my adjustment knob (only unless you have small/big hands). Plus, since you're just getting into it, you wont have a pref. anyway!

The Other Dude
    I'lll 3rd that! The XT drivetrain is probably the best bang for buck. Also the Juicy's are sweet, and simple to install and setup if you are building it yourself. I have the juicy 5's on my enduro sx trail, and had the 7's on my s-works stumpy, and i honestly couldnt tell the difference, as steve said, i never used the adjustment knob either.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

8spd or 9?

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems the XT drivetrain is the way to go. I really don't know too much about gears and brakes yet mainly cause it seems there is a whole lot to know and everyone has their own opinion. However, it sounds that 8 speed is the way to go rather than 9. People say that 9 may have more options but that 8 is way more solid which is what I am looking for. Any thoughts or ideas on that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've never read that, and I would think it would be harder to find gear for the 8 speed, 9 seems pretty standard. I've had no problems with my 9. This thread was started a week about about the very question:

8speed or 9 speed
    Last edited by hamilton5; 01-18-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I like the SRAM 990 rear cassette, work great nice weight factor and looks good. Brakes is kinda a personal choice, Juicy 7's are nice.

The Other Dude
    I have always ran a 9 speed with out any problems. It seems that 9 speed is the most "universal" now, but that is up to you. I have a deore 8 Speed on my P1, i dont have any complaints with it, it doesnt shift as smooth as my nine speed, but then again i am comparing my 8 speed deore to my 9-speed XO and XTR bikes.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

gears and brakes settled

Ok. So after even more research, the guys at my local bike shop, http://www.cnybikes.com/ convinced me that 8 speed really is old technology and that 9 speed is the way to go. They're saying to get SRAM. My only problem is that every part I've bought and am looking at buying so far comes in an optional black anodized finish. I'm trying to keep every part of my bike with the black finish to match the frame for a truly badass look. Anyone know of a 9-speed cassette that is equal to or better than SRAM, but comes in an all anodized black finish?

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by e.t.giannetti
    Anyone know of a 9-speed cassette that is equal to or better than SRAM, but comes in an all anodized black finish?
    Get a SRAM PG990, you can find the older ones that have the spider silver if you dont like the red spider......they are cheaper too, i have seen them sold new for around 50 bucks or so, and they are GREAT cassettes.

I know you may be going for "look," but when it comes to cassettes, even if they are anodized black, they will look like hell after a few rides with the chain going over it and the chainlube on it, the anodizing wont last very long. Just stick with a standard silver one. There is a company that put dupont teflon on their cassettes, i guess that would give it a black look, but i havent heard anything about their performance, here is a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=13075

mtbr member
    Also, the XT cassette has a black spline, too. It's def. not as visible, as say Sram's red splines, but it is black. And looks sick when looking from the left side of the wheels into the gears...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Is tittanium really that great?

Ok, still looking at cassettes. It's a toss up between SRAM and XT's. Guys at my local bike shop are saying to go with SRAM, plus they're backed with great reviews. However, XT's have excellent reviews as well. Either way I don't think I can go wrong.

Moving on, what is your opinion on titanium parts (handle bar, stem, seat post) on an a bike with all other parts made of aluminum? I've been doing some more research - as always - and here are some pros and cons I've come up with.
    Pros: Stronger, lighter.
    Cons: weight ratio is slightly off. also, I've read of guys who have taken some nasty spills with titanium handelbars and the bar was unscathed, but left the front of the bike it was attached too all twisted because it gave out before the titanium bar did obviously.

Any thoughts or ideas on whether all aluminum (say Thompson for ex.) is better or would titanium be a better way to go? Thanks for all your help!

The Other Dude
    You are probably right with cassettes, both of them are good, but if had the choice between the two, I would also do the SRAM PG-990 cassette. The XT is slightly lighter i believe, but i think the SRAM shifts much crisper. I have the XT on my epic (it came OEM) and i have the PG990 on my SX Trail, both have XO shifters and derailluers, as soon as the XT shows some signs of wear, it will be gone, and a new PG990 will take its place for sure.

I personally have strayed away from Ti bars and such, and keep the Ti on my bike limited to hardware and pedals.

I like the carbon much better, i would go with a carbon bar for sure, i had an 05 epic comp, and i would say the upgrade from the alloy bar to the carbon one was one of the best upgrades i made. I made everything smoother, the carbon soaked up alot of the bad vibes that the alloy would allow to pass into your hands.

As for as your seatpost and stem go, i dont think that you will find anyone that will bad mouth the thomson aluminum ones, i have never had a problem with their stems or seat posts, the are just awesome, that is what most high end bikes come with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Idea! On to pedals and such!

Thanks for the advice. I've been leaning more towards the SRAM PG990 the more I compare the two. That's sort of the vibe I get as I read more about ti parts. I think I'm just gonna stick with all aluminum. I just wanted to see if anyone had any more info on them that I didn't read about yet. You mentioned ti pedals however. I've read into a TON of different pedals out there and I have had difficulty finding any sort of solid trend in a particular make. Ti doesn't sound like a bad idea, but what brand? I've found some with crazy spikes that jut out of them that seem to be amazing as far as grip, but everyone who has written about them says that they have slipped and sliced up their shins quite a bit (didn't see that comming ) Not too worried about those smaller less-important parts, but while we're on the subject, anyone have any recommendations as far as pedals, saddle, handlebar grips, etc...? Thanks again for all the advice. My 04 S-Work Enduro is turning into a monster.

mtbr member
    Hate to be such a specialized whore, but their rival sl saddle (retail 100$) is sweet. My butt is very sensitive, so I needed something more comfortable. This has memory foam (like the mattress's) and so it fits well. Get a good pair of shorts, though. DO NOT SKIMP ON THOSE. If you do, you will be uncomfortable and gets welts on your a$$ because of the cheap chammy.... yes, I got them... damn 20$ trek shorts. Sugoi is real nice, I've got the evolution short. Sweet!!!!

The Other Dude
    You are going to get a TON of different response about pedals. Asking someone to pick out pedals or tires for you is like asking people to pick out girl for you, everyone will give you a different suggestion.

I personally stared off with Shimano SPD's (959's i think?) and I didnt care for them much, then i switched to Crank Bros pedals. I have ran the eggbeaters, and the Candy Series. I found that i like the Candy's the best. I have a set of Candy C's on my enduro, and a pair of Candy Ti's on my epic, i love them both and have never had a problem with either. That is assuming of course you plan running clipless pedals.

If you are looking at flats, I run the Specialized Lo Pro Mag II pedals on my SX Trail. I freaking love them. They offer a very solid platform, awesome grip, and the grips are replaceable on them. They have them on their website.They are super durable, and you can adjust the spin tension on them also, which is nice.

Oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with a monster........

The Other Dude
    Yes, a good saddle and shorts are KEY! The rival is awesome, but i think might be switching to a Toupe on my epic. One came with my new tarmac, and its the most comfortable thing i have sat my rear end on! I fell in love after the 2nd long ride on it! Either the Rival or the Toupe is the way to go there, you wont make a bad choice. I know my shop allows customers a 15 trial period on specialized saddles, if you dont like it, you can return it in 15 days. You may want to ask your shop about that.

I run the Specialized enduro shorts (im a specialized whore too!) and they are awesome, their Body Geometry chamios are so comfortable, and the baggy shorts with pockets look sweet, and are very durable. They will set you back around 70-80 bucks, but your rear end will thank you!