mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Newbie First Possible Full Susp

Hi..

New to Mountain Bikes.. never ridden on a trail..selling a catrike recumbent and looking at a

Specialized 2007 FSR comp leftover for 1600.00 is that a good deal and is that the right

bike for me...I road it it the parking lot it fits me as I am 5'6" 190 lbs and 49 YearsOld..

Thanks for any advice..

dirt visionary
    Its a nice bike and will do you fine for sometime to come. But I would take it for a demo before buying . Any specialized dealer should have some demos to rent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Are you talking of a Stumpjumper Fsr Comp or an Fsr xc comp?
    There is a big difference between these 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is it a Stumpjumper FSR Comp or an FSR XC Comp? There's a significant difference in price and components between both.

Short version: Both are great bikes. The XC has 4" travel and is more suited to cross-country trail riding/racing and the Stumpjumper has 5" travel which makes it a little more comfortable for the longer trail rides and rougher trails. I just bought an FSR XC myself. I tested the Stumpjumper and I really, really liked it, but I had to keep to a budget and the 5" travel, although super nice, would have been more than what I need for the trails that I ride 90% of the time.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevorken
    Are you talking of a Stumpjumper Fsr Comp or an Fsr xc comp?
    There is a big difference between these 2 bikes.
    Its obviously got to be the Stumpjumper fsr because he would be getting ripped off otherwise.Besides he never mentioned XC.

Ogden Utah

07 Fsr Sj

If it turns out that your considering an 07' FSR Stumpy I think $1600 is a great buy......I bought mine 1 year ago & paid $1800.00......As always I will include a quick pic of my ride when she was brandy new ......Best regards, Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    While XC riding, Beware of "NGP" (Negative Gravity Pockets) They're Real!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Stompjumper Comp I Think?

I Belive It Is A Stompjumper Comp..it Has Fox Front Shocks That Lock And Eadjustable Rear Shocks As Well As Hydraulic Brakes..i Beleives It Lists For 1799...is This A Ggod Price Ithink 1400 Would Be More Realistic Since It Is A Leftover Also..

What Are The Basic Accessories I Need...i Don't Believe Bikeamerica Offers Demos For Rent

Wil109
    I would rent a bike a few times and find out if trail riding is what you want to spend that amount of money on. Don't buy a bike straight away that precludes you from freeriding if all you can do with it is gnarly XC or similarly don't buy a downhill bike if you only have XC type trails nearby....
    [SIZE=1]I love my bike and my bike loves me[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What Is Xc Riding

Being New Yo Mtb What Is Xc Riding And Is Fsr Comp Way Too Much Bike

For Florida Type Mountain Bike Trails...i Am Not Riding Colorado

Rockies Here,

Ogden Utah

What Is Xc Riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Wil109
    I would rent a bike a few times and find out if trail riding is what you want to spend that amount of money on. Don't buy a bike straight away that precludes you from freeriding if all you can do with it is gnarly XC or similarly don't buy a downhill bike if you only have XC type trails nearby....
    I agree with the quote above.......To reply to your question, XC is a general term used to describe a variety of off-road MTB'ing......I.e. Some hills, some flat but not extreme downhill........The FSR SJ comp will not be too much bike IMO unless you consider the dollars youre spending.......Maybe a $700.00 bike would suit your needs to get started.......It would be shame to lay down $1600.00 & later find out its not your cup of tea........The FSR SJ is capable of a wide variety of terrains including the simple asphalt surface if thats all you care to do.......Do some further research including checking out the Beginners Corner for general questions........I have over 10 years experience MTB'ing & I find usefull info there...........Best Regards, Joe
    While XC riding, Beware of "NGP" (Negative Gravity Pockets) They're Real!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Fsr Xc Comp Better Choice

Thanks For The Advice

I'm Going To Check Out And Demo On The Trail An 08 Fsrxc Comp About 1200 And Still Has All Of The Basic Goodies Full Suspension..hydraulic Brakes And Upgradable Down The Road..