mtbr member
    Nov 2009

... and if we just ... Newbie Brain User, Inputs Appreciated!

[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
    Hey all. Just bought a used 08 Stumpy Pro Carbon and I am new to the "Brain" fork & rear.
    I am just having a tough time dialing this bike in.

Quite simply, how would the bike feel if it is truly dialed in? (Proper rebound & compression fork & rear). Previous owner says it would feel like I am "riding magic carpet ride". Being almost 40yr old, I do prefer softer ride but still firm enough for handling.

Also, no matter what I do, there seems to be a little delay for the Futureshock to compress on the first bump, is this normal?

Thanks for your inputs in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm currently on an 08 Stumpjumper Expert with the brain rear shock. This thing is awesome, but it took me a little while to get totally comfortable with how it rides. Mainly becuase I wasn't quite sure what to expect. After reading much and experimenting a little, I've found that I can dial it in pretty much however I want. It does feel more firm than any other full sus i've ever been on, but I prefer it that way. As for the slight delay on the first bump, I've heard that's normal...but really should be an afterthought. I notice a slight delay in the rear shock sometimes but that's usually after riding on a long, smooth section of trail and then going into some light rough stuff. May be different for you.

The bike should feel "right", and I use quotes becuase its really up to you. It should be firm when needed, but should use the suspension when needed. As far as the front fork, I 'm not sure, as I dont have one, but from some of the things I've read here, you definitely want there to be a balance in the settings. Too soft in the front can make the rear seem too firm, etc...

Go here and check out the manuals on how to setup the suspension. Keep in mind these are guidelines and should change to YOUR liking.

Good luck and enjoy...that's a badass bike!
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    S has some good videos on set up. Take a look at a few and it will give you a good idea of how your bike should be set up. You will still have to fine tune the setup to suit your trails and riding style, but should be a good start.

The key is to get the air pressure set up properly for the right amount of sag. Then you can play with other adjustments to fine tune.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/micros.../main.html?x=y