mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. newb with 2013 Stumpjumper Comp FSR 29... and no manual. Some quickies I hope

Hi-

I just picked up a used 2013 Stumpjumper Comp FSR 29. It is replacing my '96 Stumpy (yes... it's been that long) I love the bike, but do not have a manual for it.

For my old bike I thought I had a manual that shows how to tweak/tune each part, but I could not find something like that on the Specialized site.

Is there a manual like that?

---- super-newbie part ---
    For the (stock) front fork, I see the rebound knob on the bottom of the fork. How do you use it? I ask because I turned it a few times and it only felt like I was loosening the cap to something versus adjusting something, so I tightening it back. This is the red cap at the bottom of the fork.

Also by that cap, on the left fork there are a bunch of numbers (1-14) printed on a gear/sprocket looking thing, which seem to be held into place by a very small bracket. What is it, please? What can I do with it?

I have not played with auto-sag, but when I sit on the bike it looks to be sagging around 25%. Should I mess with anything? I do not have a shock-pump.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hello fellow stumpy owner. Checkout specialized website for a detailed bike manual. There should be seperate manuals regarding the suspension. Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Did you buy the bike at a local bike shop?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The Specialized manual is fairly basic. You can also get more detailed manuals and technical documents for the components at the manufacturers' websites. SRAM/Avid, Shimano, and Fox should have PDF versions online. If you're going to keep the bike for a few years, it's probably a good idea to track down the documents and save them somewhere soon, before the model years start to change.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix View Post
    Did you buy the bike at a local bike shop?
    I bought it from a rental shop that is about 2 hours away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Hello fellow stumpy owner. Checkout specialized website for a detailed bike manual. There should be seperate manuals regarding the suspension. Specialized Bicycle Components
    Hi-

Yes, I started there. I looked again and can't seem to find the manual for the Fox fork. Is it poorly labeled?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The basic suspension setup can be done with FOX iPhone app that does a pretty good in giving you guidelines how to do it properly. Try that first, properly dialed suspension is a huge factor in your bike performance. Also your tire pressure will effect your ride quality, but this is a matter of personal preference.

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post
    Also by that cap, on the left fork there are a bunch of numbers (1-14) printed on a gear/sprocket looking thing, which seem to be held into place by a very small bracket. What is it, please? What can I do with it?
    That's the index mechanism for the thru axle. You shouldn't need to mess with it unless the axle QR sits in a weird spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    That's the index mechanism for the thru axle. You shouldn't need to mess with it unless the axle QR sits in a weird spot.
    Thanks! So I guess I have a thru-axle. Next dumb question... can I take the front wheel off and put it back on without having to adjust that? I found an instruction section and it looks like you need to be more anal about it, and align the index number when you put it back on? Is that right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tadem View Post
    The basic suspension setup can be done with FOX iPhone app that does a pretty good in giving you guidelines how to do it properly. Try that first, properly dialed suspension is a huge factor in your bike performance. Also your tire pressure will effect your ride quality, but this is a matter of personal preference.
    Thanks. Cool app.

So, the red cap at the bottom of the fork is for air? I guess if my sag is sufficient (25%?) I don't need to mess with it.

What is special about a shock pump?

What is under the blue cap on the left side of the top of the fork (i.e. without the adjustments)?

mtbr member
    Thanks. Cool app.

So, the red cap at the bottom of the fork is for air? I guess if my sag is sufficient (25%?) I don't need to mess with it.

What is special about a shock pump?

What is under the blue cap on the left side of the top of the fork (i.e. without the adjustments)?
    Congrats on the bike! Too bad they didn't give you a ran down. It might be good to go to a local shop or mountain biking club and see if they will give you a good ran down to help the learning process.

With the rear shock, one cap is to insert air. The other cap, red one, is to set the sag. These shocks make that easy. Open the compression, pump up the rear shock to 300 psi, unscrew the red cap, sit on the bike and bounce a couple times, then use a rag to push the little "button" under the red cap and hold until it stops letting air out while sitting on the bike...you now set the sag.

Shock pumps inserts a smaller volume of air per each pump but can normally go to pretty high pressures.

Take off that cap and you can insert air into the front shock. You'll also want to pump this to what the manufacturer recommends for your weight. Later you can develop a preference to to how much pressure you in the shock...or shocks because same goes for the rear shock.

32 FLOAT 29

FLOAT CTD - Evolution
    (Specialized only has "AUTOSAG" (the button under the red cap) which makes setting the initial sag easy!)

http://service.specialized.com/colla...hart_11x17.pdf
    Last edited by Mordock; 09-05-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added urls

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    okay... so the manual helped me tweak my shocks. I didn't realize there were stops when I'd turn the red cap on the front shocks... very subtle.

Chain question...
    How bad is cross-gearing? I thought with a 2x10 in front that each front sprocket could handle and of the rear sprockets, however, the shop owner said it's actually worse with the new 2x set-ups. Opinions?

Front derailleur...
    I have to push twice to get it to go into the larger gear. Is that a simple tweak?

Cabling and guides...
    It looks like he played around with my cabling when he replaced the old brakes with the Avid 9 Trails that are on there. The cables on the bottom of the bike are not snug against the frame. Is that bad? Should I just loosen all the cable holders and pull out the slack?

Does anyone have a clean pic of how the stock cables are run? Both brake hoses look to be too long, and he's run them with zip ties in several spots. I want to see what "standard" looks like.

The rear derailleurcable sheathing looks a little frayed where is butts into the frame at the bottom of the bike. Is that common?

mtbr member
    okay... so the manual helped me tweak my shocks. I didn't realize there were stops when I'd turn the red cap on the front shocks... very subtle.

Chain question...
    How bad is cross-gearing? I thought with a 2x10 in front that each front sprocket could handle and of the rear sprockets, however, the shop owner said it's actually worse with the new 2x set-ups. Opinions?

Front derailleur...
    I have to push twice to get it to go into the larger gear. Is that a simple tweak?

Cabling and guides...
    It looks like he played around with my cabling when he replaced the old brakes with the Avid 9 Trails that are on there. The cables on the bottom of the bike are not snug against the frame. Is that bad? Should I just loosen all the cable holders and pull out the slack?

Does anyone have a clean pic of how the stock cables are run? Both brake hoses look to be too long, and he's run them with zip ties in several spots. I want to see what "standard" looks like.

The rear derailleurcable sheathing looks a little frayed where is butts into the frame at the bottom of the bike. Is that common?

Cross gearing shouldn't be a problem. I can use all my gears on both 2x10 bikes I have. That includes my SJ FSR Comp.

That sounds normal on the cable routing. My sounds like that too so you have slack with the cables when the rear triangle moves.

Get your front derailleur tuned up. Should just be some adjustments.