Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New wheels and fork for Rockhopper 29er

I am toying around with the idea of getting new wheels and a new fork for my rockhopper.
    Its a 2009 Rockhopper comp 29er.
    It is completely stock
    RockShox Dart 3 SL, 80mm travel
    Front: Specialized Hi Lo disc, Rear: Specialized forged alloy
    Rims Specialized RHD 29", 28-hole/32-hole

Would it be worth it to upgrade these parts or should I just look in to a new bike? The bike is basically brand new. I purchased it from my boss who never road it and but have been riding it a lot lately.
    Any recommendations for fork and wheelset? The trails around here arent anything crazy. I have been doing some dirt jumps but that's about it.
    I was considering the Rockshox Reba and Azonic outlaws but keep reading about how heavy they are.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Reba is a great fork, easily serviced, and easy to adjust to your liking... Look into Stans wheels.

You're looking into the two most change inducing upgrades available, especially to an entry model bike. It'll ride like an entire new beast.

If a 29" HT is the bike that you'll be riding with, upgrade up. If you'll be lookin into a FS bike, it may not be worth your money to upgrade your current bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I dont think Ill be going FS any time soon if I ever do. I'm enjoying this bike. If I do anything Ill be picking up a used dirt jump bike to throw around. I'm only riding 2 or 3 days a week tops and it seems to be good for the trails around here. Figured the Fork and wheel upgrade would make it more fun to ride.
    Are there any wheels in the $500 range worth looking at or should I spend the extra money and go with lacemine29 or something from stans?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You can order directly from no-tubes for close to $500(slightly over). I have never riden/bought wheels built up by lacemine29, but if the testaments on this forum are even close to true, you'll be very happy with a build from him.

If you're trying to save some money, you can get Sun Ringles from pricepoint for under $500 for the set. They're supposedly the same as Stans rims, but have a 28 spoke count, and have a good record here at mtbr despite the fewer spokes. No idea on the build you get from PP, but it would probably be wise to check them out good(or have your LBS check them out).

I've had nothing but good luck with my Flows w/ZTR hubs with well over 2000 miles on them over the past two years. I've trued them twice and replaced the bearings on my rear hub once. This includes several multi-day bikepacking hurtfests on these wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The wheelset suggested by lacemine was dt swiss 350 hubs with flow 32h rims. Font hub is 15mm.
    Not a $500 wheelset but its not bad considering the ztr flow set is 545 and then Id need the 15mm adapters which brings it up to 565 plus shipping.
    I was considering azonic outlaws until I read that they were heavy as hell!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You can get ZTRs and 350 hubs setup for 9mm QR forks, without adapters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ill be going with 15mm on the Reba if I get a new fork.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Can't lose

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Should I be running the Reba at 80 or 100mm?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Bike was designed around an 80mm.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 100mm on my Carve (designed around 80mm) and I have ZERO regrets. Definitely worth it imo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DV814 View Post
    I'm running a 100mm on my Carve (designed around 80mm) and I have ZERO regrets. Definitely worth it imo.
    I was going to try it at 100 but being new to mountain biking I was curious what other people were running.
    My LBS tried to sell me a Carve and then a Stumpjumper comp instead of buying a new fork and wheels for my rockhopper! I told them yeah If I'm paying your prices for parts of course I could buy a new bike and walked out. I stopped in there to look at some tubeless tires and stupidly asked for a price on the fork out of curiousity!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Placed my wheels order with Mike today. Awesome customer service.
    Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

mtbr member
    I'm sure you're gonna be pumped once you ride them. I just picked up a set of Mavic SLR's yesterday. Wow what a difference a nice set of wheels make!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thats a sweet looking bike.
    I am pumped. Just need to decide if I'm going tubeless and what tires to run.
    I may upgrade to 9 speed cassette while I have everything apart.
    I have to order my fork now!

mtbr member
    Definitely go tubeless asap. I am running the Captain Control (28psi) in the rear and the Captain Grid (30psi) up front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What size?

mtbr member
    29 x 2.0 front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ill check those out. I have to order my fork and decide if im moving up to 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DV814 View Post
    Definitely go tubeless asap. I am running the Captain Control (28psi) in the rear and the Captain Grid (30psi) up front.
    You have any of the sidewall issues I am reading about with the captain?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You probably won't have sidewall issues with a Control version of the Captain... Sworks version, maybe, Controls are supple though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ordered the captains tonight. Need to pick up some sealant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobra03 View Post
    You have any of the sidewall issues I am reading about with the captain?
    I punctured a sidewall on a Control on the second ride. Specialized warrantied the tire with no issue.

I recently purchased a Captain Grid but I don't like the extra weight and will be going back to the Control when it's warn out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How much sealant you guys using per tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobra03 View Post
    How much sealant you guys using per tire?
    I can't remember exactly but it's just a few ounces. The Stans stuff comes with this little cup you use for install.

Make sure you post pics when it's all done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast