mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New Tires to my FSR stumpjumper 08

Hello Folks,
    Can someone recommend me good selection for tires F+R?
    Today i ride a nobbi nic 2.25 F+R and happy with it but soon ill need to change.
    Any suggestion for XC and single tracks (especially rocks and loose ground).
    Also should i convert my wheels to Tubeless?
    Tku

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Specialized Purgatory 2.2 front
    Capitan 2.0 rear

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Capitan 2.0 rear
    +1. Both are set up "ghetto tubeless" on my Rockhopper. No issues with seating the tires, and they both perform flawlessly. Make sure you get the 2bliss versions.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

dying hurts.
    running an eskar 2.3 up front and captain 2.2 out back.
    i like 'em fat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR
    Capitan 2.0 rear
    Good combo, I just switched to a 2.2 Purgatory (DTC) front, and put my 2.2 Captain on the back. Good combo for fall leaves, pine needles and muck. The purgatory is very progressive in it's grip and predictable.

Went for ride yesterday, it was stupid fun with the purgatory up front. It would hook up even while drifting, and the captain out back had a good balance of grip without overwhelming my front. I always like more grip on the front tire so things stay controllable if I start sliding.

The purgatory rolls quick but the knobs are big enough to get down through the loose stuff on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    2.3 panaracer rampage or Kenda Nevegal

I like the geax saguro, but I think that its lacking some traction, and its a pain to get on the dt swiss 420sl rims.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. Is it a better solution than Kenda nevegal or nobbi nic ?

Is the combo is a better solution than Kenda nevegal or nobbi nic ? in performance, weight and budget ?

mtbr member
    Sticky/DTC Nevegal is ok in the front for a traction tire. wouldn't run one on the back due to high RR.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Agreed. Nevegal is a grippy tire but slow on the back. Also wears quickly IME.

mtbr member
    Whatever you do you may want to run a bit more tire up front. I find having a more substantial tire in the front helps to balance the bike out in sketchy corners.

Tubeless is fine if you are a tweaker. You have to mount the tire using a more complicated technique and worry about sealant. If you do your own bike maintenance it's probably not a big deal and the rewards may be worth it. If you take your bike to the shop for everything I wouldn't waste your time or money on tubeless.

mtbr member
    using a 2.35 Blue Groove DTC (F)
    2.1 Nevegal DTC (R)

works great for me....