Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    illuminator82
    Jun 2004

NEW Stumpy 29er HT review

new specialized toy; who would have thought?.. after much deliberation picked up the new specialized stumjumper comp, weighed in at 24lbs and some change without pedals and a switch to a 34t shimano XT cassette.
    have owned mt tam, one niner, and salsa dos niner- and tried new fisher, raleigh and felt niner pro and i prefer 29ers to flow and carve not cut each turn to the razors edge:-)

as an aside-really really wanted to like the new gary fisher paragon with G2 geo.

some background have ridden and raced on a gary fisher mt tam 29er for the last 4 years.
    live in santa cruz ca, means up and down and not much flats.
    me: 5'9" 145lbs in race weight, and still own giant trance 0 for the really rough places..

like stability more than pinpoint accuracy because as i tire more mistakes are made, usual ride is in the 2-4 hour zone.
    came down to this; did not like the felt and raleigh so out of the running fast. sold the dos after just 3 months as it is a flex machine. the fisher G2 geo in sagged configuration and riding in the flats is a fast handler even with the longish wheelbase, all the weight feels like it is on the front wheel and wants to fall into the turn. now if descending sag becomes way more that 10-20% and puts the head angle into really steep territory and with the G2 fox fork offset it becomes a liability and to me is a handlful. so sad to say fisher is off the list.

rode the stumpy and just felt right, felt in it not over it, so off i go; put on some flats to demo it so it could be really pushed it in the turns, it railed!! not one hiccup, standing climbs with reba locked out, no rear wheelspin, sit in and climb a steep section, no front wheel loft, hammered in sprint intervals, stiff where it needs to be, tight sections and switch backs no problem. in the end had to get it, and this is coming from a person that did not want to like this bike. won me over in every way. not steel or ti, but damn good bike for the money. with a lighter wheelset would be in 23lbs range easy.
    hope this helps some others on the fence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great timing...I am definitely on the fence. Trying to decide between the Spec Comp 29er and the Felt Nine Pro. I've taken both on parking lot rides and the Spec felt more comfortable. But...the Felt wins hands down on components. The Felt is $350 more than the Spec however.

I'm just curious why the Felt was quickly removed from your list.

Thanks!

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    felt pro is more than $600 more for what i paid, and for that i can get some I9's or mavics which would put my bike in the 23lbs range easy..

the spec is a personal preference thing. i prefer SRAM shifting to shimano, definitely prefer AVID to shimano discs, but like i said personal choice here mate.

now the handling on the bikes according to the numbers; both are very very similar in wheelbase, chainstay length and head tube and seat angles, but and i mean a very large but in reality they handled way differently. just how i felt, no pun intenended.
    put flats on the felt too and it just handled slower to me period and the specialized seemed to feel more balanced. be careful of head tube length on the felt because it is 110mm on the 17.5 and 120mm on the 19.5 and you will have to run a negative stem if you want it lower than you seat.

i just purchased what was right for me, according to fit, handling then spec and price.

can also run the specialized as a single speed in summer as it has dropouts to do so without ebb and paragons sliders; amazing to me.
    buy and ride what you like. cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. I can totally relate to you comment on balance. The Spec did seem more balanced to me than the Felt. I was surprised. The Felt also seemed heavier and not as nimble, but this should not be the case according to the published numbers. Both were ~17" frames. I'm 6'1" 185lb, so I was planning on a 19" frame. Unfortunately the LBS has to order a 19" Spec, but I'm just not sure if I could get away with an 18". Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the great input Brook_63!!

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    i am 176-177cm tall or 5'9"+ with a 32.5 inch inseam. 18 fits me perfect, cant ride a 17, too small and 19 is too big.
    some questions, how tall are you? inseam? body proportion- more leg or torso? and what size specialized do you normally ride as this should not change just because you are riding a 29er..
    i would tend to think the 19 would be a nice fit..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    6'1" with a 34" inseam...balanced leg/torso...maybe slightly longer legs. I've only owned Cannondale and Trek...never Specialized. I'm currently running a Cannondale Jekyll Large. It sounds like 18" may be a little small for me...19" might be just right. This is what the LBS recommended as well.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    sounds good!
    i used to ride a medium cannondale fyi
    i purchased it at my LBS for around $1600 plus tax so maybe this will help you on price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Excellent...thanks for the tip! Those numbers help.

mtbr member
    May 2004

you might want to try a 21"

Moore,

I am 6'1" with a 34/35" inseam -- the 19" stumpy felt too small. The 21" felt on the money.
    I know a guy that has a 21" and it weights a little over 27lbs with spd pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks eman...will see how the 19 feels and discuss the 21 as an option.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    be careful here as the 21 is a really long top tube at 25.3937" (effective or horizontal) with a 120mm stem that is way huge, unless you have long arms and torso that would be one big bike! ride one of these for sure before just buying by the spec..
    just my lousy 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Interestingly enough, the owner of my LBS seems to think the 18 is a better fit for me. The down side is they don't have either 18, 19 or 21 in stock. Seems like 19 may be the safe bet.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    specialized always has demo's. just tell him that you will buy a fisher instead and watch, magically, you will get to demo both.:-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for all of the feedback on the Stumpy 29er frame size. I was able to test ride both a 17 and a 19. The 19 fit like a glove on my 6'1" 34"inseam 186lb frame. The LBS had to order it...I'm hoping to have it by the weekend.

Also...thanks for the advice on pricing...I ended up paying $1625 with an additional 20% off accesories purchased with the bike. Not a bad deal at all!

Cheers!

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    kewl:-) glad to hear you got what you wanted, let us know how it rides once you get it. great deal on pricing, gotta love the lbs sometimes..

Chopper
    Nov 2007
    What size? Considering a 29er and I am 5'10 with a 31" inseam. Seems like I am in between sizes on a lot of 29ers so far.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    specialized makes a 17, 18 and 19. should be able to find a fit methinks..lol
    go with 18"..but demo first..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm 6'0" with a 32" (pants) inseam and the 19" fits me perfectly--the 18" felt cramped. I think my arms might be a little long, which makes the longer top tube a good thing.

I have mine on layaway at the LBS. I've just sold a couple of other bikes on Ebay to pay for it so I will probably pick it up in the next couple of days. I really liked the way it rode, and this summer I'm moving someplace where my full suspension bike won't get much use, so off it went along with a 26" hardtail to be replaced by this very nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

... and if we just ... My new '08 Stumpjumper Comp 29 (19")

I had my first ride on my new 29er today. A local trail is known for it's occasional sand bogs. I was accustomed to slowing down through these on my Jekyll, but this Comp 29 stuck almost everything I threw at it.

Still more adjustments to come, but so far this thing is bad arse!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking at the stump 29er comp. I rode an 01 Stump comp hardtail in size 18 stock, and I have just come off of an 07 Stump fsr expert size med. I am 5 foot 10 with a 30.5- inseam or so. Would an 18 be about right? I have ridden the 19 and it felt pretty big.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    18!! all the wayyyyyyy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ....I also just bought the new Stumpy 29r...already switched it to a singlespeed (big thanks to Ray and John at Spin Bike Shop in Lakewood,Ohio!!!!!). The bike is great and so far has been really fun at a local trail known to be a little rough (Vultures Knob)....anyway the 19" frame fits me at 6ft, 175lbs, 33.5 inseam....no regrets on the purchase and kudos to Spin for the great service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ordered the 18 today. Started the build Stans 355 rims laced into my old dt 240's. New Xt hydros. Kenda Karmas, new Crank Brothers Cobalt headset, my old xt crankset. Just trying to figure out: Reba or Fox. Any suggestions?

Keep on Rockin...

Nice frame...

This looks like a really nice frame but the rear sliders have me a bit worried.

Any slipping or creaks with the sliders?

How much does the frame weigh?

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a 19" silver frame?

Thanks,

Mike

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Similar thread to this here:
    08 Stumpy 29er - size 19"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast