insert blank disk

... and if we just ... New to the Specialized Tribe

After over a decade of riding Cannondale I made the switch to the big S today. I recently had a good experience with my LBS when I purchased a 2013 HR disc sport for my wife. We had a small issue with the bike and S had my lbs just give me a brand new bike off the showroom. I have been very impressed with the customer service at my lbs and S, so I started thinking about making the switch.

I was in a full suspension 26er and wanting to make the transition into a a hardtail 29er (my first). My lbs had a smokin deal on a 2012 Carve Expert and that's all I needed to make the leap.

My only regret is that it took this long. I couldn't believe how confident I felt and how fast I could go. I figured it would take me a few rides to get used to the bike, but I immediately fell in love and was pushing the bike to it's limits.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I'm looking to timing my next ride to see how much faster this bike really is. Here's a couple of pics:

NotoriousMHz
    Welcome to the Tribe! Congrats on your new purchase.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Welcome to the dark side. It'll feel pretty much like " I'm not going back to a pc ever....."

mtbr member
    Welcome. No turning back now.
    '12 Specialized RH 29er
    '00 Specialized RH FSR Comp
    And a few beaters for around town

insert blank disk
    Thanks, I can't wait to go ride again. I wish someone would have told me how badass 29ers were!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    Thanks, I can't wait to go ride again. I wish someone would have told me how badass 29ers were!
    All we can do is show you the door... you have to step through it

mtbr member
    Nice bike! I have one just like it in my garage

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by DV814 View Post
    Nice bike! I have one just like it in my garage
    You sir have good taste. Have you made any mods? If so, how are they working out for you?

mtbr member
    I've added a few things here and there

Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels

Fox Float RLC fork

Easton bars

insert blank disk
    Did you convert it to a 2x10?

Why did you change the shock? Something you didn't like about the Recon or do you just prefer Fox?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    the white forks looks good on the bike. i like the yellow too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    Did you convert it to a 2x10?

Why did you change the shock? Something you didn't like about the Recon or do you just prefer Fox?
    I just removed the "big ring" and replaced it with a bash guard as I needed the extra ground clearance. Honestly I think Specialized has the right idea for the 2013 coming 2x10 from the factory. Although I am considering just converting to a 1x10 drive train in the future.

I went with the Fox fork for a couple of reasons. 15mm axle up front makes the bike handle much better and I wanted to increase the travel by 20mm.

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by DV814 View Post
    I just removed the "big ring" and replaced it with a bash guard as I needed the extra ground clearance. Honestly I think Specialized has the right idea for the 2013 coming 2x10 from the factory. Although I am considering just converting to a 1x10 drive train in the future.

I went with the Fox fork for a couple of reasons. 15mm axle up front makes the bike handle much better and I wanted to increase the travel by 20mm.
    Good call on removing the big ring. That will be my first "upgrade" as well. Yeah, it looks like they're making some really good decisions on the 2013 carve. Of I didn't get such a good deal in this one I would have bought a 2013.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Congrats! Picking mine up next week. Got a killer deal on it ($1300) so I couldn't pass it up.

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
    Congrats! Picking mine up next week. Got a killer deal on it ($1300) so I couldn't pass it up.
    Congrats, what color? I picked mine up for $1150!! One of the employees bought it, road it one time, and decided to stick with road biking.

insert blank disk
    Quote Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
    Congrats, what color? I picked mine up for $1150!! One of the employees bought it, road it one time, and decided to stick with road biking.

Don't try this at home.
    Sweet bike! I love mine! I will be converting to 1x10 soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi there the Carve with the SLR rims looks just great! I have a Carve Pro 29er can anyone tell me if this rims will fit my bike? MAVIC Crossmax SLR 29er (QR/15mm front and QR/12x142) Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice bike. I really like the look of the Carve.

I am also a fairly recent convert to the Big S tribe. It started with a road bike back in 2010 and has gone from there really.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    first of all, congrats on the new bike. I am sure you will love it, it is a great bike. Nice upgrades, I bet the fork with the kashima coating makes a big difference in ride quality. Interested to see how you like it. Congrats
    2011 Specialized Stump jumper Comp