Loser

New Specialized rider - me

I've been riding a Rocky Mountain Switch for the last 2.5 years. I love the solid feel and definitely use the 6" of travel (though mainly in the form of techy descents rather than lauches/drops). I've been on the lookout for a lighter weight 6x6 AM machine - I was focused on a Nomad, but that would have meant used and I've come to realize that used is tough in a lot of ways - especially with a Nomad. The Enduro SL was on my list as well, but there's not much out there for used in that either.

I stopped at the LBS yesterday for some lube and on a whim got a price on an Enduro SL Comp. $3,700, ouch. Oh well. I have a good bike no need to go crazy here. I checked when I got home and the MSRP on the Enduro Comp is $3,200, now I'm curious. I call another LBS (feel a bit sleazy phone shopping a price, but...) and they have a 2007 on the floor, but its an Expert - clearance price, plus another 20% because its been out on a single demo ride - next thing I know its in the back of my car! I almost felt guilty (ALMOST) walking out the door for what I paid, but I guess that's their decision not mine! Other than a small paint chip on the down tube its in perfect condition.

I didn't really do anything besides a parking lot test, but I know from four or five guys who I ride with that this bike will work great for our terrain and my style of riding. Gotta figure out the set up, but I'm incredibly psyched. First ride tonight, I presume.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Hey John, welcome to the world of the Big S! I don't think you should feel guilty at all for shopping for a lower price. Business is business and I think too many riders get caught up in loyalty to a certain place. If the original shop you visited was closer to you, perhaps you could have asked for a price match? Nice score on the rig though! If I needed a 6+" travel bike, I would consider the Enduro SL or Nomad as well, or maybe even the Heckler. Enjoy and post some pix to show off. Good luck!

Loser
    The closer LBS (the one I first went to) has a terrible reputation, not that I wouldn't buy a bike there, but... I also know they only had a Medium in stock.

I just set up the shocks at lunch time - all ready for an evening assault!

John

(PS - My wife has a SJ, so I'm familiar with the big S brand)
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog