Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    36

    new rockhopper disc --return to store?

    Brought it home yesterday from the shop brand new and rode it around the block a few times. It just doesn't feel that great. The shock is stiff, it's surprisingly heavy, it's slow.

    I don't know, I'm not blown away by this bike. It just doesn't feel like a fun or inspiring ride. It feels like a slug.

    Should I return it? What's your experience with returning bikes to shops?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kersh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    254
    I don't believe the shop where I work would return a bike such as yours. Particularly if you've left with it. Did you not ride it before you purchased it?
    - KERSH -

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: onegymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    931
    Before you ride anymore on it, call them and ask about an exchange. I'm sure they would want you to be satisfied as much as you do. Then TEST one in the lot before you whip out your wallet again. I suggest FSR this time.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    180
    There are probably very few shops that will allow you to return a bike once it's left the store and especially been ridden, regardless of how much. This time around do plenty of research before you buy and [I]ride the bike[I] beforehand

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arctic303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    342
    Well seriously, what bikes are *fun* to ride round the block? You've bought it now, take it off-road for a few hours and then see how you feel. If it's just the fork you don't like, buy a lighter better air-sprung fork and sell the one you have now. Shouldn't cost too much more to upgrade.

  6. #6
    surfer w/out waves
    Reputation: havnmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    614
    It's a great bike... What do you mean by " it feels like a slug"??? Unless you meant to buy a FS frame there's not much difference in HT's at that price level...

    how tall are you and what size did you get?

    Yea the fork is mediocre but it's not that bad... and Ebay is your friend...

    Take it offroad for a couple of months and then shop around for a new fork if it's still that bad... swap out your shifters and Der's and ride on!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    851
    if it feels like sluggish I would suggest reducing your rotating mass - crank & wheels. I like a firm front fork in the woods, have you ridden off road yet?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    36
    thanks for the repsonses- I forgot I posted this. I thought about it and I'll have to live with the bike. I was spoiled by my old 02 stumpy, which weighed next to nothing. Thing is, it had its share of faults like delicate rims and subpar drivetrain, so I'm trying to not just remember the good things about it.

    I rode this bike in the parking lot for about 10 minutes before buying it and it seemed fine. The fork is my main complaint and I've heard others complain about it being stiff, so I just sold it on eBay about an hour ago and I'm shopping for a replacement (chime in!). I didn't want to put too many miles on the parts before selling them off on ebay because they seem to sell quicker when they are new. This one sold buy it now in about 1.5hrs

    Here's what I meant by sluggish:
    with my old stumpy, when you stepped on the pedals, it just LIFTED off, and you could get up to a nice speed in no time. You could feel the ground through the tires. It seemed like all the energy you put into the thing was translated 100%. With this RH, it feels more like 65%. Plus the shock it so stiff, it's just not a fun ride.
    so I'm going to get another fork and probably some Mavic 717s with xt hubs. I noticed the light wheels made a big difference in my old stumpy, too.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,199
    As far as on road riding is concerned....tire pressure can make the ride feel really rough - especially if you're on knobbies.

  10. #10
    Is dang happy!
    Reputation: Mr. Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,115

    How much can you spend?

    Quote Originally Posted by joejakk
    thanks for the repsonses- I forgot I posted this. I thought about it and I'll have to live with the bike. I was spoiled by my old 02 stumpy, which weighed next to nothing. Thing is, it had its share of faults like delicate rims and subpar drivetrain, so I'm trying to not just remember the good things about it.

    I rode this bike in the parking lot for about 10 minutes before buying it and it seemed fine. The fork is my main complaint and I've heard others complain about it being stiff, so I just sold it on eBay about an hour ago and I'm shopping for a replacement (chime in!). I didn't want to put too many miles on the parts before selling them off on ebay because they seem to sell quicker when they are new. This one sold buy it now in about 1.5hrs

    Here's what I meant by sluggish:
    with my old stumpy, when you stepped on the pedals, it just LIFTED off, and you could get up to a nice speed in no time. You could feel the ground through the tires. It seemed like all the energy you put into the thing was translated 100%. With this RH, it feels more like 65%. Plus the shock it so stiff, it's just not a fun ride.
    so I'm going to get another fork and probably some Mavic 717s with xt hubs. I noticed the light wheels made a big difference in my old stumpy, too.
    New fast XC tires will help more than new wheels.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arctic303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    New fast XC tires will help more than new wheels.
    I'm pretty sure it comes with the Specialized Fastrak's which are fast XC tires. Light too if they're the Pro's.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kersh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    As far as on road riding is concerned....tire pressure can make the ride feel really rough - especially if you're on knobbies.
    The tires that come on a Rockhopper are not knobbies. The Fast Trak is a very fast rolling tire. Wheels will make by far the largest difference because you will get new, smoother rolling hubs and a stiffer rim. Wheels are always the upgrade you will feel the most on a bike.
    - KERSH -

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by kersh13
    The tires that come on a Rockhopper are not knobbies. The Fast Trak is a very fast rolling tire. Wheels will make by far the largest difference because you will get new, smoother rolling hubs and a stiffer rim. Wheels are always the upgrade you will feel the most on a bike.
    Well nevertheless, dropping the pressure can smooth out the ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kersh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    Well nevertheless, dropping the pressure can smooth out the ride.
    So true. I ride with really low pressure for tubed tires (well below the recommended psi for my weight) and it feels great on the trail but really unstable on the road. Sluggish might actually describe it!
    - KERSH -

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    why dont you just rebuild on your old stumpy frame, or sell the parts bit by bit on your rockhopper and upgrade, or better yet, why didnt you just buy the NEW stumpy, at 1300? Granted, i assume its because its way more than you want to spend, but this is the exact situation i warn customers about; dont underbuy, youll be disapointed and spend more cash in the long run (like the fork)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •