Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new rockhopper disc --return to store?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Stumpy_Steve 
#1 ·
Brought it home yesterday from the shop brand new and rode it around the block a few times. It just doesn't feel that great. The shock is stiff, it's surprisingly heavy, it's slow.

I don't know, I'm not blown away by this bike. It just doesn't feel like a fun or inspiring ride. It feels like a slug.

Should I return it? What's your experience with returning bikes to shops?

#5 ·
Well seriously, what bikes are *fun* to ride round the block? You've bought it now, take it off-road for a few hours and then see how you feel. If it's just the fork you don't like, buy a lighter better air-sprung fork and sell the one you have now. Shouldn't cost too much more to upgrade.

#6 ·
It's a great bike... What do you mean by " it feels like a slug"??? Unless you meant to buy a FS frame there's not much difference in HT's at that price level...

how tall are you and what size did you get?

Yea the fork is mediocre but it's not that bad... and Ebay is your friend...

Take it offroad for a couple of months and then shop around for a new fork if it's still that bad... swap out your shifters and Der's and ride on!

#8 ·
thanks for the repsonses- I forgot I posted this. I thought about it and I'll have to live with the bike. I was spoiled by my old 02 stumpy, which weighed next to nothing. Thing is, it had its share of faults like delicate rims and subpar drivetrain, so I'm trying to not just remember the good things about it.

I rode this bike in the parking lot for about 10 minutes before buying it and it seemed fine. The fork is my main complaint and I've heard others complain about it being stiff, so I just sold it on eBay about an hour ago and I'm shopping for a replacement (chime in!). I didn't want to put too many miles on the parts before selling them off on ebay because they seem to sell quicker when they are new. This one sold buy it now in about 1.5hrs :)

Here's what I meant by sluggish:
with my old stumpy, when you stepped on the pedals, it just LIFTED off, and you could get up to a nice speed in no time. You could feel the ground through the tires. It seemed like all the energy you put into the thing was translated 100%. With this RH, it feels more like 65%. Plus the shock it so stiff, it's just not a fun ride.
so I'm going to get another fork and probably some Mavic 717s with xt hubs. I noticed the light wheels made a big difference in my old stumpy, too.

#10 ·
How much can you spend?

joejakk said:
thanks for the repsonses- I forgot I posted this. I thought about it and I'll have to live with the bike. I was spoiled by my old 02 stumpy, which weighed next to nothing. Thing is, it had its share of faults like delicate rims and subpar drivetrain, so I'm trying to not just remember the good things about it.

I rode this bike in the parking lot for about 10 minutes before buying it and it seemed fine. The fork is my main complaint and I've heard others complain about it being stiff, so I just sold it on eBay about an hour ago and I'm shopping for a replacement (chime in!). I didn't want to put too many miles on the parts before selling them off on ebay because they seem to sell quicker when they are new. This one sold buy it now in about 1.5hrs :)

Here's what I meant by sluggish:
with my old stumpy, when you stepped on the pedals, it just LIFTED off, and you could get up to a nice speed in no time. You could feel the ground through the tires. It seemed like all the energy you put into the thing was translated 100%. With this RH, it feels more like 65%. Plus the shock it so stiff, it's just not a fun ride.
so I'm going to get another fork and probably some Mavic 717s with xt hubs. I noticed the light wheels made a big difference in my old stumpy, too.
New fast XC tires will help more than new wheels.

#12 ·
Berkley said:
As far as on road riding is concerned....tire pressure can make the ride feel really rough - especially if you're on knobbies.
The tires that come on a Rockhopper are not knobbies. The Fast Trak is a very fast rolling tire. Wheels will make by far the largest difference because you will get new, smoother rolling hubs and a stiffer rim. Wheels are always the upgrade you will feel the most on a bike.

#13 ·
kersh13 said:
The tires that come on a Rockhopper are not knobbies. The Fast Trak is a very fast rolling tire. Wheels will make by far the largest difference because you will get new, smoother rolling hubs and a stiffer rim. Wheels are always the upgrade you will feel the most on a bike.
Well nevertheless, dropping the pressure can smooth out the ride.

#15 ·
why dont you just rebuild on your old stumpy frame, or sell the parts bit by bit on your rockhopper and upgrade, or better yet, why didnt you just buy the NEW stumpy, at 1300? Granted, i assume its because its way more than you want to spend, but this is the exact situation i warn customers about; dont underbuy, youll be disapointed and spend more cash in the long run (like the fork)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.