mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New Rear Triangle for 02 Enduro

Hey All,

I really like my 02 Enduro, and am wondering if there is a beefier rear end, or one that allows more travel than the original 4-5".

I am toying with a FR bike, but if I can just modify my existing one I would be open to that.

Thanks,
    Heath

mtbr member
    I don't know of any beefier aftermarket rear triangles for the Enduro but I did recently learn that the upper rear shock mount on those models is prone to cracking. Mine did and I wouldn't say that I'm a freerider, just an aggresive xc kinda guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey T, Thanks for the heads up. I would classify myself the same way, an aggressive X-C rider. I would like a little more travel, for the drops, but don't need an overbuilt freeride frame. What are you riding now?
    -Heath

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

j77
    First off - early 02 Enduros have a recall issued from Spesh for a faulty rear triangle.

If you DO NOT have a "P" or "S" stampped on the inside, upper portion of the seatstay your bike IS AFFECTED by the recall (you may have to remove the rear wheel to see if its there as the stamp is small - like 12 point type size) . If you are affected a free replacement can be had thru Specialized.

--copied from specialized website --

Safety Notice - 2002 Enduro FSR Bicycles

Question
    ---- 04/01/2002 02:31 PM ---------------------------------------------
    I just bought a '02 Enduro PRO (size S) in February. Although Its serial number is PY109158 (has a P), I couldn't find any P or S on the seatstay. Do I have to change it? Thanks...Luis.

Answer
    All stays should be replaced on the 2002 Enduro bikes. If it hasn't been replaced by a stay with a P or an S stamped on the seat stay you should return it to your local Specialized Dealer for the retro fit. All 2002 Enduro before the notice are affected. Thank you for your interest in Specialized.

-- end copy --

As far as more travel for your bike, see this thread for your viable options: 04 enduro 6" link upgrade???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron's a Wuss
    What are you riding now?
    -Heath
    A road bike. My Enduro just broke 2 weeks ago and is currently tied up in warranty/exchange limbo at my local bike shop.

My shop tells me that Spec will give me an 05 Enduro frame which is the exact same thing as the 02 (apparently they made a few of those as well as the newer "pierced seat tube" design in 2005).

But I would really prefer a new Stumpjumper at this point because they have the same travel and almost the same rear triangle design as my Enduro and weigh a couple pounds less. It turns out that Specialized just started a frame "trade-up" program so I can "trade in" my old broken frame and $780 for a Stump Pro frame. My shop is checking to see how much I could get an $-works frame for.
    Last edited by dir-T; 04-12-2006 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    My shop tells me that Spec will give me an 05 Enduro frame which is the exact same thing as the 02 (apparently they made a few of those as well as the newer "pierced seat tube" design in 2005).
    This is a 2005 Enduro: http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/332960073452/enduro.jpg
    Models like Enduro Elite Brain and Enduro Expert Brain were available in Central Europe last year. There were also lower-end models of the old frame....Comp, 130 etc... The low-end models were sold also in the US and Canada.

The colours were silver, green, carbon and black. The carbon/black frames were all designed for Brain-shocks, so you will likely get a green or silver frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I'm a Dork

Hey All,
    I realized fro your responses that I have a 2001, not a 2002. I can't believe I bought it that long ago! I do however have a 2002 rear end as my derailer snapped off in 2002 and Specialized replaced it with a 2002 triangle. From your responses I will contact Specialized and see if I should go about having it replaced.

Thanks much,
    Heath

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron's a Wuss
    I do however have a 2002 rear end as my derailer snapped off in 2002 and Specialized replaced it with a 2002 triangle.
    The 2001 and 2002 were different frames. Does the rear of 2002 really fit onto the 2001?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When I got my new rear triangle, I was told that there were problems with the one I had ('01) and that the new one corrected the problem. I think what they said was the bearings were upgraded to cartridge bearings for 2002 so theygave me that rear end. Honestly it was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what they said but for some reason I was the new triangle was the current model and it was 2002.

I know the 2002 main frame is much different than the 2001. Can anyone comment on the interchangeability of 2001 and 2002 rear ends?

Thanks,Heath

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I searched all over for the number you refer to and the only one I could find was on the base of the bottom bracket, not on the triangle. M number starts with a P. My guess is that they moved the placement of the number in 2001 and 2002. I don;t know if any of that matters since my rear triangle was replaced and any number on the frame would have no relation to the rear triange anymore.

Is there supposed to be a number on the triangle itself?

Thanks,
    Heath

j77
    There is not a complete serial # on the triangle itself, only the single letter stamped into the inside upper part of the seat stay to identify that it is not affected by the warranty.

This was only for early 2002 (second generation) frames. Also, the first-gen 2001 frames are a completely different design and the triangles are NOT interchangable between the two model years.

-jeff