mtbr member
    Oct 2010

From new to old - 2011 Enduro

Howdy. I've been on and off biking since I was a little kid, and in the past year my interested in the sport has skyrocketed and I have fallen in love. To test my passion, I found this little beauty at a bike shop in Asheville, NC for $200 (sorry for the crappy pictures):

I've taken her on quite a few miles of trails and just absolutely love biking. Has the orgininal rear shock, but I converted the front to disc and replaced a few small parts on the bike. After evaluating my passion, I decided it was time for an upgrade! Just yesterday I walked in the bike shop here in TX to order a bike, only to find that they had the EXACT bike I was prepared to order. It was the only Enduro in the shop and was in the right trim, size, color, etc. I was ecstatic. Here's my new baby! Rides like a freakin' dream. It's night and day from my old bike.

And don't worry, I kept the Ground Control. It's amazing how well that bike is doing for it's age!

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Now THAT is an upgrade! Also, smart way to go about it- get a cheap beater, confirm the addition, then drop the $$ on a top end rig.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Organize your hoses/cables and snag some safer pedals...then you have my seal of approval.

One of the best bikes made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks mtg7aa!

thrasher_s: I appreciate the compliment. And don't worry, I've organized the cables, removed the reflector, and removed the red sticker. I took that right after I got it yesterday!

And yes, I do need new pedals. These suck majorly. I don't really want clipless... Any recommendations/favorites?

Upgrade your life
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    Thanks mtg7aa!

thrasher_s: I appreciate the compliment. And don't worry, I've organized the cables, removed the reflector, and removed the red sticker. I took that right after I got it yesterday!

And yes, I do need new pedals. These suck majorly. I don't really want clipless... Any recommendations/favorites?
    Straitline
    Kona Wah Wah
    Canfield Crampon

(all similar pedals)

Dont forget some 5.10s

J
    Im like a termite, i love wood features.

mtbr member
    + 1 Kona Wah Wahs...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice bike. Where in TX are you?
    What bike shop let a $3ooo bike out the door with hoses like that?!

As for pedals...yes, straightline/canfield are very popular. Get some sticky shoes like jaydial said.

mtbr member
    That looks amazing, congrats!

Be sure to get pedals with replaceable pins.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    JayDial: Thanks for the suggestions! I really like the looks of the Kona's, but I am seriously considering something like the Shimano M424 combo pedals, but that's another topic completely.

SurfSailRide: They do seem nice. Would you take them over clipless?

CharacterZero: Thanks for the compliment. I'm located in the grand College Station. I told the shop that I would take care of the cables myself. I got it from Aggieland Cycling, and I can not praise them greatly enough. Excellent service and a very nice price.

olijay: Thanks for the compliment and advice!

mtbr member
    Awesome snag, you're gonna love it. Judging by the furniture, I would say that you're at college. If you're in NC, it might be worth a drive down to SC. The Clemson guys do it up right (they hold an awesome DH race). Even if you're not into DH, its worth the trip - great trails down there.
    +1 on some nice pedals and 5.10's.
    I've been riding my Specialized Lo Pro Mag II pedals for three years now and I love them. I service them maybe twice a year and they just keep on going - and they grip like no other.
    Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sweet! Love the black and white color. Just like my 08 enduro sl comp.

I came off a bmx bike, after bmxing my whole life. Took me quite a while to get use to it, but its a dream.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    My '10 Enduro came with the cables/hoses about like that as well, not sure why. They were all a bit too long.

I have Canfield Crampon pedals with 5.10 shoes and they have been great. I have beat the bejesus out of them for a year and they just have a couple of scratches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    edray: Thanks man. I Live part of the year in NC, but right now I am going to college in TX at A&M. I appreciated the advice on pedals too! I'll get down to SC sometime over the summer.

camarosam: I love this color scheme! I've been mountain biking, but not for an extremely long period of time. I'm young, however, so I have plenty of time to learn.

thrasher_s: Yes, my cables are very long. It's ok though; better than being too short. Man, 5.10's seem to be very highly rated around here.

mtbr member
    Speedoflife- Would it be to nosy to ask how much you got it for OTD? Just to give me a figure to work on when I walk into my LBS when I'm ready to purchase the same bike. Also, what size is the frame?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h
    Speedoflife- Would it be to nosy to ask how much you got it for OTD? Just to give me a figure to work on when I walk into my LBS when I'm ready to purchase the same bike. Also, what size is the frame?
    Thanks!
    It's not nosy! I got mine with free maintenance for life (tune-ups, etc. Not that I really need them but nice to have), specialized shock pump with gauge, tubeless conversion, and all the bar/stem cutting I needed for fitting purposes for right over $2,800 OTD. Not a horrible price, considering retail without freight or tax is $2,900. It's a medium frame.

Good luck! It's an incredible bike and the brakes... ecstasy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Congrats on the new bike! My cables came like too, not sure why. Doesn't really bother me though.

If you are going to be doing a far amount of DH, I would suggest looking to install Mission Control DH in the Lyrik. It will cost around 200 installed for the upgrade, but IMHO, I think that it will be worth it. I ran it without it for a couple months and at first it seemed alright, but then I rode my friend's and afterwards, the front just felt squishy and sloppy. Rock gardens seemed ok, but big drops and big hits, the front will bottom out. I am 165 geared, and I am running the PSI in the front for a 180+ weighted rider. If you stand up and ride a lot, you will notice the front will dip a lot and you will get a lot of brake dive. That's where the Mission Control will help you.
    Just a suggestion and something to think about down the road. Enjoy! and Ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoflife
    JayDial:SurfSailRide: They do seem nice. Would you take them over clipless?
    Nope, absolutely not. I pretty much use clipless (CB Candy's) exclusively for all of my riding applications now. I own a pair of Wah-Wah's that I used to put on my bike to pedal around town, and for more freeride type riding. But now I use the Candy's for that too.

I'd never go back. Love the clipless. It's really personal preference though.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Sweet bike - all I can say is keep that thing locked up tight if you use it around campus!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    mcgong - Yeah I noticed that as well; I can bottom it out the fork even on a 3-4 foot drop, and I'm running 50 PSI, and I only weigh 140. I'll look into that for sure.

SurfSailRide - I am seriously considering clipless. I am pretty sure I will go that route. Too many advantages

sthrnfat - I'm too scared to use it around campus. I keep it in my room whenever I'm not on the saddle!
    Last edited by speedoflife; 10-24-2010 at 02:08 PM.