mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New forks on a hardrock?

I recently purchased a 07' hardrock (did lots of research) and i love the bike as it is fine for my needs(strong beefy and durable) and budget. The one thing i would like upgrade is the forks. It currently came stock with RST Gilla Plus T7, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil MCU w/ preload adjust. The problem i have is that these forks have no rebound adjustment and therefore are alot like a pogo stick when riding aggressively. When i turn up the preload it just makes the problem worse.

What would you guys suggest is a decent fork that a guy on a budget ($100-200) could get that would offer a preload or lockout and rebound adjustment for a rider around 250lbs.

Is there anything in my range? Or should i just check my LBS to see if any of them have any take off forks? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pm

I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    I have a similar situation with my RH. A recently read Mtb UK and someone posed a simialr question to you. They suggested a RockShox Reba fork at 100mm travel. Not sure if that still falls within your budget though.

A noob type question: on the Spec tech spec sheet it says my frame was designed for 100mm travel. Would it be really bad to put on a fork that travels a little more? Say, 120-130mm?!?!

mtbr member
    Specialized (at least in my country) voids the frame's warranty if you use a fork over 100mm on the Hardrock. Probably the same for the Rockhopper.

I couldn´t care less about what they said and upgraded my fork to a Vanilla 130 RLC. Best thing I could have done for the bike, it really transformed it for the best. Mine is a Hardrock.
    Last edited by vacalouca; 04-10-2007 at 03:56 PM.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by futureEDpatient
    I have a similar situation with my RH. A recently read Mtb UK and someone posed a simialr question to you. They suggested a RockShox Reba fork at 100mm travel. Not sure if that still falls within your budget though.

A noob type question: on the Spec tech spec sheet it says my frame was designed for 100mm travel. Would it be really bad to put on a fork that travels a little more? Say, 120-130mm?!?!
    I run a Float 120 RL from a stumpjumper, I think it is fantastic. Once the air pressure was set right I don't think the axle to crown was more than a few mm more than stock (with my weight on it). In my opinion, that is not "really bad", although if something cracks I will certainly be changing my tune. The flip side is also that the suspension runs a little more plush with a quality fork so the frame shouldn't be "feeling" as much abuse--until the rider turns up the intensity another notch.

Anyways... for now I love the 120 on my hardrock and I run it with no worries-but at the same time I know in the back of my head that I could be up a creek if anything goes wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm looking into a fox float RL right now. Should be a decent setup if thats the way i go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I put a Manitou Black Elite 100mm/120mm fork on my Hardrock and it was the best thing I did for my bike. It rides much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a 2006 Hardrock with a Marzocchi DropOff with 130mm. It works wonderful for me and gives the bike a real nimble feel. It's a bit over your set price range ($280), but totally worth it. I'd also suggest a marzocchi AM. Those have 130mm as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got a great deal at a LBS on some Rock Shox Dart 3 forks. I'm really happy with them. Decently plush, with lockout, preload and rebound adjustment. Cant ask for more for some light trail/XC riding. Very happy and well within my budget even after installed. Thank for all the responses guys, it really helped.

Portland, OR
    hahaha, thats what I was going to recommend. the dart's are really actually pretty decent forks. rockshox really suprized me with that one.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I really am starting to believe that the dart 3's are a little underrated. Great fork for the price. Cant complain at all. Its not a $400 fork but it performs above the price i paid for it by far.