mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New forks on a hardrock?

I recently purchased a 07' hardrock (did lots of research) and i love the bike as it is fine for my needs(strong beefy and durable) and budget. The one thing i would like upgrade is the forks. It currently came stock with RST Gilla Plus T7, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil MCU w/ preload adjust. The problem i have is that these forks have no rebound adjustment and therefore are alot like a pogo stick when riding aggressively. When i turn up the preload it just makes the problem worse.

What would you guys suggest is a decent fork that a guy on a budget ($100-200) could get that would offer a preload or lockout and rebound adjustment for a rider around 250lbs.

Is there anything in my range? Or should i just check my LBS to see if any of them have any take off forks? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Pm

I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    I have a similar situation with my RH. A recently read Mtb UK and someone posed a simialr question to you. They suggested a RockShox Reba fork at 100mm travel. Not sure if that still falls within your budget though.

A noob type question: on the Spec tech spec sheet it says my frame was designed for 100mm travel. Would it be really bad to put on a fork that travels a little more? Say, 120-130mm?!?!

mtbr member
    Specialized (at least in my country) voids the frame's warranty if you use a fork over 100mm on the Hardrock. Probably the same for the Rockhopper.

I couldnīt care less about what they said and upgraded my fork to a Vanilla 130 RLC. Best thing I could have done for the bike, it really transformed it for the best. Mine is a Hardrock.
    Last edited by vacalouca; 04-10-2007 at 03:56 PM.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by futureEDpatient
    I have a similar situation with my RH. A recently read Mtb UK and someone posed a simialr question to you. They suggested a RockShox Reba fork at 100mm travel. Not sure if that still falls within your budget though.

A noob type question: on the Spec tech spec sheet it says my frame was designed for 100mm travel. Would it be really bad to put on a fork that travels a little more? Say, 120-130mm?!?!
    I run a Float 120 RL from a stumpjumper, I think it is fantastic. Once the air pressure was set right I don't think the axle to crown was more than a few mm more than stock (with my weight on it). In my opinion, that is not "really bad", although if something cracks I will certainly be changing my tune. The flip side is also that the suspension runs a little more plush with a quality fork so the frame shouldn't be "feeling" as much abuse--until the rider turns up the intensity another notch.

Anyways... for now I love the 120 on my hardrock and I run it with no worries-but at the same time I know in the back of my head that I could be up a creek if anything goes wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm looking into a fox float RL right now. Should be a decent setup if thats the way i go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I put a Manitou Black Elite 100mm/120mm fork on my Hardrock and it was the best thing I did for my bike. It rides much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a 2006 Hardrock with a Marzocchi DropOff with 130mm. It works wonderful for me and gives the bike a real nimble feel. It's a bit over your set price range ($280), but totally worth it. I'd also suggest a marzocchi AM. Those have 130mm as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got a great deal at a LBS on some Rock Shox Dart 3 forks. I'm really happy with them. Decently plush, with lockout, preload and rebound adjustment. Cant ask for more for some light trail/XC riding. Very happy and well within my budget even after installed. Thank for all the responses guys, it really helped.

Portland, OR
    hahaha, thats what I was going to recommend. the dart's are really actually pretty decent forks. rockshox really suprized me with that one.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I really am starting to believe that the dart 3's are a little underrated. Great fork for the price. Cant complain at all. Its not a $400 fork but it performs above the price i paid for it by far.