Thread: New E150 knock

jason8265

New E150 knock

I know the answer will be to take it in and get it replaced but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this. My fork knocks when I quickly compress and release it but only does it in the short travel mode. It sounds like it is in the damping side of the fork which doesn't know the difference but I could be way off there. Everything seems to work fine, damping circuits, travel mode adjust, etc. It almost sounds like the cartridge hitting the inside of the fork tube. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8265
    I know the answer will be to take it in and get it replaced but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this. My fork knocks when I quickly compress and release it but only does it in the short travel mode. It sounds like it is in the damping side of the fork which doesn't know the difference but I could be way off there. Everything seems to work fine, damping circuits, travel mode adjust, etc. It almost sounds like the cartridge hitting the inside of the fork tube. Ideas?
    there is "clearance" between the bushings and the stanchions tubes--(as with any fork)
    and most of the time you are hearing the click of the tube moving inbetween both bushings.
    (all forks do this )
    generally this noise is worse cold , ----

the seals get sticky and dry and will also make a knock noise when quickly compressed and released, ---------i take mine apart and clean and service them and add a new dose of "slick honey" ----soak the packing and change the oil in the forks .-------and i do this quite often --( once a month ) ----as with all of my forks . marzhocci, fox and so on all need to be cared for .

the rt hand damper cartridge , if you let the nitrogen pressure drop below 40-45 range this damper , you will get a knock noise when the cartridge rod hits the internal floating piston , ---generally you have to be riding the bike to here this hapening.

these e150 forks are really a good fork ,
    alittle TLC as with any suspension componet will work wonders,

you need to service your air sleeve on the shock as well -----all the time also

jason8265
    I did just take this apart and did your service which really helped from stiction standpoint. I may pull back out the damping cartridge and inspect tonight. to try and figure out what this may be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    good deal on keeping you suspension lubed and clean

most guys do not ever tend to their suspension.

like i say , most of this is normal movement between the bushings and the stanchion,
    and it can be made to make this noise in different load situations while the bike is still and you are rocking it back and forth , --and or pumping it up and down.

make sure you got the lower nuts on the cartridges tight under the sliders,--
    if these are alittle loose they will make a knock also .

mtbr member
    May 2005
    another cause of this knock is to much air in the oil filled rebound/compression cartridge. Sometimes the oil sneaks past the o-ring on the piston, into the spike valve air chamber, So on the return stroke of the rebound shaft's valve assembly up, it hits the air pocket with less resistance and smacks into the cap on top of the rebound cartridge. Pull your rebound cartridge out and cycle it a few times to check this theory out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    **The Damper Catridge does not control top out** This is one of the jobs of the Air Cartridge.

(The damper cartridge therefore does not have a top out bumper because it does not need one. The Damper Cartridge is a few mm longer than the Air Cartridge. When the fork is together the Damper Cartridge is slightly compressed **it never reaches top out while in the fork. Only when the damper cartridge is by itself outside of the fork does it ever reach full extension) The noise is not related to the damper cartridge topping out.

The knock you are hearing is most likely a coil in your negative spring compressing over a ridge on a nylon piston, but don't worry this doesn't affect the performance. Hopefully kelstr's maintenance tip has improved the performance of your fork and remember to do this regularly every ~50 riding hours and a full service every ~250hrs. Regular service will optimize your suspension's performance and keep the suspension covered under the 5 year warranty.

jason8265
    Thanks for the info. I did notice that on the rebound cartridge does spring back to full length when compressed when I had it out. is this normal or is it a sign of air making past the oring on the spike valve. The knock is not top out as it is midstroke and only in the short travel mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have exactly the same problem. Only in the short travel mode, and the faster it compresses, the louder the knock. It started making the noise about 30 min into the first ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We are still missing the point, why don`t Fox forks or rockshox make all these horrible noises and knocks and bush slop? Owning these forks is as much work as the very first Scott unishock!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the fox and all other forks do have bushing slop, -----they have to , you must have clearance in these componets.

the e150 is a long travel duell crown fork and it is easier to make more noise than a shorter travel week flexi single crown fork.( and the oil is in the cartridges and not a mass heavy 150cc'c of oil all around the bushings in the outter like a fox )

you should hear my 8" travel marzhocci duell crown fork --------thing knocks like a small block chevy just spun a rod bearing ---but it is ridged and steers well !!!

the bottom line is -----the more ridged, lighter, and stronger these componets are getting , you will here different noises , ---its no big deal.

if you would dissamble these forks and see how they work , dissamble the cartridges and see what they are all about you would be amazed and would really like the design,
    they are simple and work better than any fork out there .

the spike valve in the fork and the shock will make alittle more noise when new , ----this will settle in and become less when the valving seats in ,

and if you keep the forks and shock serviced and mantained (which you need to do your self )-- ( which you should do to every bike out there )
    these componets will last and work great for years and years

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Uhh, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by choicebro
    We are still missing the point, why don`t Fox forks or rockshox make all these horrible noises and knocks and bush slop? Owning these forks is as much work as the very first Scott unishock!
    It looks like you have never owned an older SID, or Psylo, or any of RockShox's other wonderful piles of turd.

I seem to remember some serious bushing slop in the earlier Fox forks as well. 1st generation 36's; Talas function failed multiple times, zero damping control, etc.

The Specialized stuff really is very advanced and cutting edge, and like everything new it takes a little time to work some of the smaller bugs out. Saying that, every suspension component on my Enduro and Epic is solid and silkly smooth as long as I care for it properly.

With the stuff that is out there now, we have exited the early 90's Marzocchi "ride it like hell and never service it" era and actually have to do some maintenence for things to stay smooth. Get used to it!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your still mising the point When a product is marketed as the the new generation of suspension technology with the head guy from Fox designing them you would have to believe they would perform better than any previous Fox fork. The facts simply are they they require constant maintenance and are plagued by reliability issues something i have not experienced on my last three sets of Fox forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by choicebro
    Your still mising the point When a product is marketed as the the new generation of suspension technology with the head guy from Fox designing them you would have to believe they would perform better than any previous Fox fork. The facts simply are they they require constant maintenance and are plagued by reliability issues something i have not experienced on my last three sets of Fox forks.
    i know what you are saying and i do feel bad for guys that did have some problems , ---( all of witch are easy to fix )

alot of these forks and shocks were not bad and the hype that these units were bad spread like wildfire and there was alot of warranty units returned that were not bad at all,

i have yet to get a warranty fork or shock i could not fix fairly easy .

anyway -----if you could see the fox forks and shocks i get that have problems ( not to mention the white power, marzhocci, kyb and lefty's you would see that actually the specialized units are considerably better by far.) ( not to mention function and the ride exsperiance you get on the specialized units )

and i work on my fox 40's and my 888 and world class stuff alot more that i ever do my specialized units .

once you get used to servicing these specialized units they are very simple and out perform anything out there .

the brain suspension on my 08 stumpy carbon pro is unreal on how it works -----( the problem is that it is to far advanced for the normal guy to comprehend that is is going to take awhile for the normal guy to really understand what he has

Members who have read this thread: 0