Deere Rider

New Command Post

I wanted a new Command Post for my Enduro Comp 29 in the 125mm variety, so I called Specialized and asked how long the post was as it is not listed on the website. The rep said total length is irrelevant as the post is made to go up and down. What?

I argued with the guy for 5 minutes but he could not grasp why knowing the total length of the post was important. He kept coming back to his idea that since the post was height adjustable, there was no need to know how long the post was. I was getting nowhere so I asked for someone more knowledgeable.

The same guy came back on a couple minutes later and said he pulled a 125mm out of a bike and it measured "around 380mm". He also stated that 380mm is longer than most other posts on the market. ?????? That was still a bunch of nonsense so I excused myself from the conversation and ordered the post online anyway. I felt like I was in a big box store trying to get info from a clueless kid who would rather be selling treadmills.

So...for anyone else wondering about the new Command Post here is the info that is plain as day on the back of the packaging:

75mm 0/25mm/75mm 340mm long 425g
    100mm 0/35mm/100mm 390mm long 455g
    125mm 0/35mm/125mm 430mm long 475g

I have the 125mm and can confirm that it is 430mm long and weighs 560g. This weight included the post and everything in the plastic accessory package (cable, housing, noodle, clamp, plastic bag, etc...). I suppose you could take off a couple grams for the plastic packaging to have a more accurate total weight.

It's a good thing the Specialized engineers are smarter than their website contact employees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    It's a good thing the Specialized engineers are smarter than their website contact employees.
    But not smart enough to use more than a single bolt for the seat.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Technician View Post
    But not smart enough to use more than a single bolt for the seat.
    Very true. I would much prefer a two bolt clamp. I was needing a dropper with an offset and they are hard to come by. This and the Giant model were my options.

mtbr member
    The single bolt is probably one of the things I like the MOST about my Command Post. Super easy adjustment. I freaking HATED adjusting the seat on the older 2-bolt designs. A little carbon prep paste on the rotating bits and I've had zero issues with the seat moving. This is all with the previous version though, haven't tried the newest one. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I wanted a new Command Post for my Enduro Comp 29 in the 125mm variety, so I called Specialized and asked how long the post was as it is not listed on the website. The rep said total length is irrelevant as the post is made to go up and down. What?

I argued with the guy for 5 minutes but he could not grasp why knowing the total length of the post was important. He kept coming back to his idea that since the post was height adjustable, there was no need to know how long the post was. I was getting nowhere so I asked for someone more knowledgeable.

The same guy came back on a couple minutes later and said he pulled a 125mm out of a bike and it measured "around 380mm". He also stated that 380mm is longer than most other posts on the market. ?????? That was still a bunch of nonsense so I excused myself from the conversation and ordered the post online anyway. I felt like I was in a big box store trying to get info from a clueless kid who would rather be selling treadmills.

So...for anyone else wondering about the new Command Post here is the info that is plain as day on the back of the packaging:

75mm 0/25mm/75mm 340mm long 425g
    100mm 0/35mm/100mm 390mm long 455g
    125mm 0/35mm/125mm 430mm long 475g

I have the 125mm and can confirm that it is 430mm long and weighs 560g. This weight included the post and everything in the plastic accessory package (cable, housing, noodle, clamp, plastic bag, etc...). I suppose you could take off a couple grams for the plastic packaging to have a more accurate total weight.

Thanks for the info and the weights. Did you happen to weight the post only without the accessory package materials just to confirm that your scale agrees with the post itself being 475g?
    Why in the world do they give weights of the posts NOT including the hardware?!? Talk about desceptive.

mtbr member
    The new command is not using the single bolt anymore, they have something else. The new head has a new problem: To put the saddle horizontal you have to move it all the way to one end of the adjustment range. You would think the neutral position would be the center of adjustment range.

I guess you are right, their engineers are not that smart

Version 1: Proprietary cable
    Version 2: Lever that does not fit well with other components on the bar and is crazy hard to pull
    Version 3: Seat post head that has to be on the edge of adjustment range

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Version 3: Seat post head that has to be on the edge of adjustment range
    Not having this issue. Seat is horizontal at any point of adjustment. Perhaps a pic would help?

Also, new single bolt is holding well for me. No slippage in rough terrain. The saddle still blasts out like a hydraulic ram, even at low pressure, but I think major improvements from the last version.

mtbr member

New Command Post

The new command is not using the single bolt anymore, they have something else. The new head has a new problem: To put the saddle horizontal you have to move it all the way to one end of the adjustment range. You would think the neutral position would be the center of adjustment range.
    This is from page 2 of the instruction guide:

"The Saddle head offset is 20mm with the bolt head on the drive-side, 10mm with the bolt head on the non-drive-side."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Thanks for the info and the weights. Did you happen to weight the post only without the accessory package materials just to confirm that your scale agrees with the post itself being 475g?
    Why in the world do they give weights of the posts NOT including the hardware?!? Talk about desceptive.
    That would have been a smart move but, unfortunately, I did not get that weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    This is from page 2 of the instruction guide:

"The Saddle head offset is 20mm with the bolt head on the drive-side, 10mm with the bolt head on the non-drive-side."Tapatalk
    Does this change the angles too?

mtbr member
    Does this change the angles too?
    It means that you can choose the offset where the head attaches to the rails. Dunno if it means that if you're at the end of the adjustment "curve" on the head, if you can switch the bolt/rail attachment around and get a bit more range or not. What bike are you putting this on where you have to be at the end of the curve to get the seat horizontal? Sounds like a slack seat tube angle issue... maybe v3 was designed for Spec model seat tube angles. OTOH if you're putting this on a Spec frame, I dunno...

Couple other things:

- v3 lever is identical to v2 lever (note that both v2 and v3 have different levers depending on whether the post is OEM, in which case the lever is designed to be mated as a lock-on for Spec grips, or if it's aftermarket, in which case the lever has a hinged bar attachment, which is narrower than the OEM one but doesn't lock to the grips). Never had any problems with cable pull on v2, unless the housing was getting old and kinked and needed to be replace. I also straightened the noodle a bit to make the angle less acute.

- v3 head is still a single bolt, though the head design is different w/o the fully rotating pieces (and thus more limited adjustment range).

- I picked up a v3 one to replace my v2. One of the reasons was the claimed 100g weight reduction. Got it home and compared to my v2, and the weight is EXACTLY THE SAME. WTF? I returned it.

Looking at the website now, it looks like the v3 description is actually just a copy/paste from v2... and v2 very likely actually did have a weight reduction from v1. Lame.

v2:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

v3:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Interestingly, Spec bikes that ship with a command post are now using the "IR" version of v3 that is internally routed, but the don't sell this one aftermarket! Probably because in order to route the cable you need to drill a hole in the down tube. Looking at some 2014 Enduros in the shop, that is the difference. With 1x11, they ditched the front der, so now use that cable location for routing the command post cable down the underside of the down tube, then there's now a small hole just before the bottom of the down tube that the cable goes into, and the cable guide rubber piece there has been modified to protect this hole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post

- I picked up a v3 one to replace my v2. One of the reasons was the claimed 100g weight reduction. Got it home and compared to my v2, and the weight is EXACTLY THE SAME. WTF? I returned it.

Looking at the website now, it looks like the v3 description is actually just a copy/paste from v2... and v2 very likely actually did have a weight reduction from v1. Lame.
    Thank you for posting this information! I got excited about the claimed 100g diet as well, and then noticed the copy/paste that had occurred, so figured that in fact the weight didn't change. I was still hoping, however, for some reduction. Bummed to hear the answer, but thankful to at least know it for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    It means that you can choose the offset where the head attaches to the rails. Dunno if it means that if you're at the end of the adjustment "curve" on the head, if you can switch the bolt/rail attachment around and get a bit more range or not. What bike are you putting this on where you have to be at the end of the curve to get the seat horizontal? Sounds like a slack seat tube angle issue... maybe v3 was designed for Spec model seat tube angles. OTOH if you're putting this on a Spec frame, I dunno...
    It was on a new Enduro 29 Expert that I demoed. I had to swing the saddle all the way nose down to get it a couple of degrees past horizontal. Lots of 29ers have a bent seat tube to accommodate the rear wheel, like the Enduro. You would think that horizontal would be the center position of the angle adjustment or somewhere around that.

I have to say lever action is on another level from version 2. Huge improvement there, just by itself a reason to upgrade (if the angles work).

I also use straighter noodle on the version 2, with brand new cables and housing with very wide curves. Took a while to make it acceptable, but still no where hear the version 3 or Reverb. Just acceptable. Maybe less air pressure will put less pressure on the mechanisms to release easier. Or maybe teflon cables, who knows. I think its the post itself that has a strong spring.

mtbr member
    Hmm. The seatpost angle on the E29 is pretty high angle, i.e. good... weird that it still requires adjusting to the end of the range of the head.

As far as the lever, all I can say is that the lever itself is exactly the same between v2 and v3. So that just leaves the cable housing/noodle, and the actuator at the head - maybe that was improved. Anyway, think I'm gonna stick with v2 for a while. Though the IR version on the E29 at the shop felt like the post itself had a bit smoother action.

mtbr member
    I have a 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Evo 26" with the Command Post IR.

I totally feel like CrozCountry:

The adjustment (nose tilt up/down) works for me. But there is not much wiggle room.
    If my seat angle was any slacker, I couldnīt adjust my saddle level.

Also I turned the head of the seatpost to the 10mm setback position and would prefer if it was 0mm setback = straight.

But I have very long legs and a lot of seatpost extension, that is probably why.

@jimw:
    The effective seatpost angle is steep on the Enduro, but the actual isnīt. The seattube has a curve and is actually 69° or something, pretty slack - actual...

Thatīs probably why.

Maybe Specialized could give us a non setback head for the command post.
    That would be very awesome!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member

Command IR

The new IR post is the best so far, and one of only a few to have setback! which is great.
    With the 0mm offset post's you just can not get the saddle back the get me knee's over the pedals. Most people that come into work have there saddle to far forward and not getting the full power from there leg's.

Pete..

mtbr member
    Yeah, that is right for a lot of people. But for me ;-) - I have very long legs and a short torso. Iīd ideally need a zero or even "negative" setback post.

But aside from that, the Command Post IR seems solid and reliable.
    I hope it is more maintenance free than my Reverbs. Love them in feel and concept, but they donīt REALLY hold up.