mtbr member
    May 2008

New cassette and chain installed...but I think chain is to short

I believe Im one link to short in my chain and I already have a missing link in the chain. When the chain is in the largest rear gear and biggest front chain ring the deraileur is at an angle towards the front of the bike. Is this ok? I made the chain lenghth according to what many had said to by going 1-2 links past the overlap when running chain around rear large cassette gear (not on derailleur) and front large chain ring. Is that ok?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tech Tuesday - Chain Length Basics - Pinkbike

Full suspension makes things more difficult as you have to compress the shock for chain growth. You can run two missing links in a chain if you want to. It isn't going to hurt anything. I did it before without any problems. If you still have the other section of the new chain you can lengthen the chain with the chain breaker tool. I have done this with success as well.

I have only broken one chain in the riding I have done. It was during a race where I believe I had 3 crashes which I think had something to do with it. I heard something weird with my drivetrain, but since I was in a race I ignored it instead of stopping. It broke with like 200 meters from the start/finish of a 3 hour endurance race so I ran it in and had someone at neutral support fix it for me while I caught my breath.

So, in short. Unless you are a clyde or notorious for breaking chains. Doing any of what I mentioned should be fine for you as long as you do it correctly.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    I believe Im one link to short in my chain and I already have a missing link in the chain. When the chain is in the largest rear gear and biggest front chain ring the deraileur is at an angle towards the front of the bike. Is this ok? I made the chain lenghth according to what many had said to by going 1-2 links past the overlap when running chain around rear large cassette gear (not on derailleur) and front large chain ring. Is that ok?
    It is normal for the derailleur to point forwards, it is doing what it is designed to do. The main point is to ensure there is still a little bend in the derailleur and that it isn't straight. If it is, there is no further tolerance for it to take up suspension movement. Big to big plus 2 extra links is a good rule of thumb.

BTW you can't have 1 link too few, only 2 or 4 etc...

mtbr member

New cassette and chain installed...but I think chain is to short

If you're replacing an existing chain then the easiest way with chain length is to simply count the number of links in your old chain. Use a chain tool to get the number of links in the new chain the same as the old chain before fitting it.

That way there's no guesswork involved in making sure the new chain will be exactly the right length for your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How does this look?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think you are good to go based on the pinkbike link I shared. Cutting the new chain to the same length as the old chain is the way to go as WR304 mentioned. Big/Big looks a little too tight, and Small/Small looks a little too loose. So to me you are in the middle ground.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    That's good, you're fine..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do I need to cycle the suspension? Or does the chain tension stay the same throughout the suspension travel?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    Do I need to cycle the suspension? Or does the chain tension stay the same throughout the suspension travel?
    No, the specialized doesn't have much extension throughout it's travel. This is more of an issue on long travel bikes and an even bigger issue on high-pivot long travel bikes (or bikes that have a virtual pivot that is effectively higher). On those bikes you have to be careful because the derailleur takes up slack as you go through the travel, and some people who run the short-cage derailleurs don't understand that their suspension works like this, so they end up ripping the chain and derailleur off due to not running enough chain and the incorrect derailleur. Not as much of a problem these days without as many stupid-long extending bikes, but it's good to be aware of.

With a bike that doesn't extend much, it's assumed that you'll never ride the combo pictured and the derailleur will be able to take up the slack as it cycles through it's travel.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How many links did you start out with? Chains are normally 116 link which should be good for most bikes.

I'd be careful splicing link BACK into the chain. Each link that is added weakens the chain. If it were me, I'd start with a new chain. Measure twice. Cut once.