mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New Carbon Stumpy FSR

Hey guys,

Got my new StumpyFSR a few weeks ago. Coming from a Specialized Epic, which is also a great bike. I love them both, but I think the epic has to go, cant afford both.

Im seeking knowledge and wisdom.

As I mentioned im coming from the Epic which is lighter and much faster on the trails, but it just isnt made for the stuff I want to do, which is why I went the stumpy route. So, I am trying to shave some weight on the stumpy to make it feel more like my epic. Any ideas or recommendations on weight savings and products you recommend?

Secondly, what is up with Avid brakes? This is a brand new bike, had to take it back (3 hour drive to a dealer) cause the rear lost pressure. They bled them, now they work, but on gnarly downhill requiring a lot of brake pressure they lever falls to the bar. Very frustrating since I spent so much money on this. What are some great no issue brake systems out there?

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

T

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 2011 CR SL's are the same way. You need to pump them to keep them 'fresh' and to know how much braking power you have at the time. Something about 'brake fading' or some such jargon. Basically you have to learn to use less brake overall or else you'll reach the limit of the elixirs much sooner. An example is not dragging the brakes for any period of time, but instead feathering them with rapid pulls. Some will say that that is simply basic braking technique, however I do not believe that to necessarily be the case as different riders of varying terrain, experience, and styles. Something like Shimano's SLX/XT/XTR brakes do not have this characteristic you are dealing with. Now that I'm a faster rider overall the brakes are less of an issue for me.

I'm looking into possibly giving the Avid XO trail brakes a chance, but will likely veer left towards XTR brakes to replace my current set because there are too few XO Trail brake reviews out there and they are mixed overall.

Generally speaking, wheels are the biggest upgrade (statement of OPINION) you can make to a bike and it does not even need to be to lighter wheels in order to realize the improvements. You'll want to be looking into that direction next, but it can get pricey.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the wonderful cycle of upgraditis.