mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New bike time...stick with SJ FSR?

It's time to bite the bullet and replace my '05 FSR 120 Expert. I've ridden the crap out of it stock except for grips and I trimmed the bars an inch or two. I've started looking around, and I'm wondering if I just keep drinking the kool aid and go with a stumpy or epic, or if uuuI open up the search to other brands. LBS around here and personal preference would probably limit me to cannondale, niner, Santa Cruz, or Ellsworth - tho that last one might blow the budget.

Me: 36 years old, 6' 175#. I'm better at up than down (mostly cuz I got too good at rehabbing dislocated shoulders and torn knee ligaments - id rather stay in one piece then push the envelope too much), and prefer buffed out single track over super techy downhills. Ride 2-4 times/week around Jackson, WY.

Ive always figured the 120 was a little more bike then what I needed, but thought it was worth it to beef up my downhills a little and plow through stuff better. Would a 100mm 29er give me the same feel? I'd like to keep the weight under 30# - I wish I had the cash to get super light, but that ain't happening - maybe wheel and some other upgrades in a season or two, but for this year I'll be tapped out with the new bike. Budget is roughly $3500-$4500, though for the absolute perfect bike I'd extend that a fuzz.

Love the talas on my current stumpy, but have noticed that's only specd on the $6100 level bikes - ouch! I defo use the travel adjustment climbing, but wonder if the new floats are nice enough that I wouldn't notice. Don't know much about the newer rock shox offerings either - I still remember the rough patch they went through back in the early 00's and haven't had a reason to try them since.

Any thoughts or input would be great - model, fork, wheel size, anything. I'm leaning towards sticking with specialized, but if anyone reads my story and thinks another manufacturer would fit the bill, let me know. I'm going to try and demo some bikes as soon as it dries out, but those options are pretty limited around here - ill be lucky to get on any 29er, much less my preferred build in any particular brand. Thanks a lot, have a good one out there.

mtbr member
    I suppose you'll tend to get "stick with Specialized" replies here, given the sub-forum you've posted in, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'll tell you the same, as I'm biased.

One thing you might consider is a used bike. You could probably get the "bike of your dreams" you mention, but within your budget. Having a glance on Pinkbike, I've found:
    -2011 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29er for $5350
    -2012 Camber Pro Carbon 29er for $5200
    -2011 Epic Carbon 29er for $3200
    ...and I'm assuming you can deal on these as well.

Just an idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gee - new bike time - I'd be considering anything you can demo, although that does sound limited. Nevertheless, any demo provides data that helps the decision.

I went specialized but largely because they are kind enough to supply in XXL. Sorta narrowed the field for me, in the end.

The one thing my demo'ing proved is that at my size, 29er is the go.

That said, I found in 29er that the SJ 130mm of travel wasn't warranted given the mildish incline flow track that we have around my place. I went with the Camber. On balance, I liked it better cause the steering was a bit sharper and I felt more over the front wheel on our typical slope.

Enjoy the process.
    Last edited by marvin rouge; 04-22-2013 at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the input guys - I hadn't even heard of pinkbikes, seems like a good site with well maintained bikes for the most part. Buying used has sketched me out - I have too many buddies that only use the lube I give them on-trail and wouldn't even think to spend any time cleaning their bike post-ride or tuning things up.

I'm looking forward to dry trails (couple weeks out at least!) and a chance to demo. I'm definitely interested in the 29er phenomenon and will see what I can take for a spin. I'm hoping I get another 8/9 seasons out of this bike - the old stumpy has been a great bike. Thanks again.