mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New bike purchase, need opinions SJ Evo or...

I have been riding a 2012 camber 26' for about a year and a half now and recently had the chance to ride a 2013 SJ EVO.... needles to say I loved it and wanted to get one. Problem was I cant find a 26" for sale. I recently stumbled a cross a great deal on a 2013 Giant Reign 2, and am considering it b/c it is priced really well, about 2k and more importantly its available.

Has anyone here ridden a Reign? Is it similar to the SJ evo? I haven't had a chance to sit on it yet, but again its hard to tell in the bike shop parking lot.
    Any and all opinions appreciated.
    On another note I am becoming really sick of walking into LBS's and seeing nothing but 29ers... tell me I am not alone.

mtbr member
    Ive never ridden a Specialized, but can say Giants Maestro suspension is pretty sweet.

Looking at pricing, with the Reign 1 you get full SLX, whereas with the similar priced SJ EVO you are getting a mix of Sram X7/X9. IMO, the SLX stuff is definitely more durable than the Sram X7/X9, and Id prefer the Fox Talas over the Rock Shox Revelation.

mtbr member
    One of my good riding buddies has a 2012 Reign. we have swapped bikes a few times and he let me borrow the Reign when my SJ Evo was in the shop.

The Reign pedals a little more firm in open and trail mode. Putting the SJ in climb mode evens it out.
    The descent very similar, both are very plush, but the SJ is a bit more responsive. The chainstays and wheelbase on the reign are longer than the SJ, and the Reign has a more stable feel descending at speed, but the SJ is more "playful' and easier to manual and toss around.

Both bikes ride great and are very capable, just with a slightly different feel. My buddy agrees the SJ is an overall better bike, but only slightly, and with the Reign you tend to get more bang for your buck.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    One of my good riding buddies has a 2012 Reign. we have swapped bikes a few times and he let me borrow the Reign when my SJ Evo was in the shop.

The Reign pedals a little more firm in open and trail mode. Putting the SJ in climb mode evens it out.
    The descent very similar, both are very plush, but the SJ is a bit more responsive. The chainstays and wheelbase on the reign are longer than the SJ, and the Reign has a more stable feel descending at speed, but the SJ is more "playful' and easier to manual and toss around.

Both bikes ride great and are very capable, just with a slightly different feel. My buddy agrees the SJ is an overall better bike, but only slightly, and with the Reign you tend to get more bang for your buck.
    Thanks for the input, I knew atleast someone had ridden both. The playfulness of the evo is what I love..feels very athletic on the trails. Sounds like the reign looses some of that. I can't figure out the huge price diff. About 1k retail.

mtbr member
    The Reign is no slouch when it comes to "playfulness", it is just slightly less playful then the SJ to me. That might change if I got a lot of time on it though. It is still a great bike. The Geometry is perfect and it rips and they are priced really nice.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy