mtbr member
    Feb 2011

We the people ... New bike dilema.... what would you do?

Hi,

Been riding hard tails off and on for a while but not for last few years. Now am getting fit (6 months in gym so far), and wanting to start riding again. Looking at a Stumpy FSR and kind of sold on the brain idea. Will ride mostly single track trails and want a bike thats gonna last me for many years to come.

I got offered a decent deal on 2010 model from my dealer, and wondering should I go for it, or go for a 2011 lower range model and save a few bucks. All Stumpjumpers FSR:

a) S-Works Carbon 2010 3,800
    b) Expert Carbon 2011 3,200

So, what would you do? Pay up the bit extra for last years top of the range, or pay less for a (very) decent 2011 bike ?

mtbr member
    One thing to consider is do you want the brain in the fork? the 2010 S-works has it and none of the 2011 (stumpjumper FSR) models do.

I say go for the S-works
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 02-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Will carbon last for years? One knock or bump and that could be it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta
    Will carbon last for years? One knock or bump and that could be it.
    says who?...your preconceived notion
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 02-07-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    One thing to consider is do you want the brain in the fork? the 2010 S-works has it and none of the 2011 models do.

I say go for the S-works
    Not sure what you mean - the 2011 Epic S-Works 29er certainly has a brain fork and I think the Expert has it too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF
    Not sure what you mean - the 2011 Epic S-Works 29er certainly has a brain fork and I think the Expert has it too.
    who is talking about epics? This topic is about stumpjumper FSR's as mentioned in the first post
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 02-07-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Don't stress - the OP asked about two specific models, so if you say "none of the 2011 models do" I thought it wasn't entirely clear you were referring to Stumpy only as he originally was. (If he really wants a Brain fork, he can get one on a 2011 model bike, just not a Stumpy.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF
    Don't stress - the OP asked about two specific models, so if you say "none of the 2011 models do" I thought it wasn't entirely clear you were referring to Stumpy only as he originally was. (If he really wants a Brain fork, he can get one on a 2011 model bike, just not a Stumpy.)
    Who's stressed ? I get what your saying I editing my first post for clarity

mtbr member
    There hasn't been a major change in frame design between the 2010 and 2011 Stumpjumper FSR.

Of those two bikes I'd definitely go for the 2010 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR. For the money you get a much better specification. Just look at the retail prices of the SRAM XX components when compared to the SRAM X-9 and X-7 parts on the 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Expert.

The price of a new SRAM XX 11-36 cassette (292.00 GBP at Chainreaction Cycles.com) almost makes up the price difference between the two bikes by itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    says who?...your preconceived notion
    says these guys - http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'd go for the S-Works. Worth it for the higher spec kit.
    Plus it will impress others out on the trail!
    Last edited by jnr_seahorse; 02-07-2011 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member

No good

Aluminum bikes never break/crack....

I could probably make a comparable web site featuring aluminum frames...

But alas, I have a life.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    To get back on topic, if it were me, S-works w/out a doubt.

Higher spec carbon + top end components.

And the stealth black paintjob is sick.
    2014 Tallboy 2

Trying not to kill myself
    Pretty much everything on that site is from a crash of some sort, not from "one knock or bump".

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys.... good point about carbon cracks, so checked warranty on frame, and specialized seem "ok" on replacements for defective frames ("lifetime", although that likely means one or two frames in reality). Few comments say that on s-works frames they are even more prompt if there are issues, which I can see the logic for personally.

All in decided to bite the bullet and go for the s-works 2010 vs 2011 lower range model.... Not that I am an expert, but s-works 2010 looks pretty identical for the most part to s-works 2011 (front shock aside), frame construction and geometry also 100% same (different color obviously), and thinking about it I am getting a huge discount.

Agree with comment that the black frame looks "sick". I reckon its v "stealth" looking.

Maybe buggin you guys for many years to come as to what settings i should have on the brain and other nonsense, but appreciate the patience so far !

Hopefully this one lastS me for many a year.... i like to buy things well to start with and stick with it for a long time, hopefully right choice !

mtbr member
    As I said before preconceived notion