mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New to the bike buying (stumpy fsr comp)

Well, this is actually my first post on this forum so be nice Anyway, im looking to pick up a Stumpjumper FSR Comp (green if it matters to you guys) and i just have a basic question on the basics of purchasing a bike. The price my LBS (mikes bikes in sacramento) marked it at is 1999 but is there room for negotiation? I guess this question is quite general in terms of proper etiquette when purchasing a bike. I've read a few FAQ's but they seem to differ quite often. The salesmen told me that they do price match, which leaves me to believe the price is somewhat negotiable, but it seems like this price is on par with the other bike shops around here. Any info in regards to proper etiquette is welcomed!! This will be quite an investment for me so I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal possible while also not making ridiculous demands. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That seems like a great price to me. The MSRP is $2200. I got mine for $2000 as well - I wouldnt expect it to realistically drop below the $2000 mark until the '08 models come out and they try to clear stock.

However, I'm no expert.. thats just my experience and observations. You could always ask... if you are buying a bike and all the accessories they may not drop lower on the bike but talk to the guy. Tell him you're buying all this stuff with them and you want to know what he can do to make it worth your while - they'll usually give you 10-20% off all the accessories and a free tuneup or two or three. Those are the things they can use to easily sweeten the deal without killing their overhead.

by the way - welcome to the forum and if you get the bike I hope you enjoy it!

mtbr member
    There is always wiggle room and it doesn't hurt to ask. I picked up my 06 Stumpy (MSRP $2000) for $1600 and got the brakes upgraded at dealer cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks guys, i went to another bike shop and the guy told me he may be able to get 10% off... I plan on purchasing some gear as well, gloves, helmet, and shoes so i'll see what i can do with those items included.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Mikes Bikes just had a sale a couple of weekends ago and the Stumpy Comp was $1899. See if they will honor their old sale price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johsti
    Mikes Bikes just had a sale a couple of weekends ago and the Stumpy Comp was $1899. See if they will honor their old sale price.
    yeah, i heard they had the sale but the salesmen didnt say anything about honoring the price... maybe i'll go there and ask someone else. if i can get 10% off from city bicycle works it would be a better deal though so we shall see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Welcome to the forum. It's great here. No flaming, just honest bikers talking about their experiences.
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    I would def. find a shop that offers free tuneups, or something similar. Mikes, although sells at a good price, charges for 100? for 5 years, I think. There are more shops out there, and its good that you plan on buying more accessories. Try to make the purchases all at once at the same shop, and you'l get a better deal, plus you'll build a good relationship with your shop, which only leads to faster turnaround times and better prices! And def. buy from the shop you find more approachble (or however you spell it), friendlier, and more professional. Personally, I'm willing to buy something for a little bit more money if I like the store or people I'm buying the item from. Just some tips!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Personally, I'm willing to buy something for a little bit more money if I like the store or people I'm buying the item from. Just some tips!
    I agree completely. The shop I go to is a good 40 minute drive - but they treat me really well. I just dropped off my bike to have some work done today and expressed concern about my front shock leaking air. THe sales guy thought it may be because my shock pump isnt engaging the valve completely and is showing false readings.. as their pump showed it at 20 or so PSI higher than where I had filled it.

He gave me his shock pump for free. Its things like that that make he happy I threw down my wad of cash on a bike from them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, i actually dont think i will be buying from Mikes but i may go back in there to see if i can work out a deal, but as it is, i will probably get it from another store since they dont charge a fee to special order the color and frame size i want.

Any suggestions as to what to pick up? I have a decent pump and tire levers... thats about it... I was thinking on shoes, shock pump, gloves, and a helmet. Granted they dont all have to be purchased from the bike store, what do you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    The good and bad thing about specialized is that they make a good product. The gloves are nice (I went from the Resolution ff's then the Pro sf, and now the Gels <-love those the most!), as is their helmets, jerseys, shoes, and hell, even their BG socks are nice. Bad part is when you buy so much of their product, you end up looking like a Specialized billboard. The only other clothing manufacture that I buy is Sugoi, and they have the most awesome customer service!!! Otherwise, check stuff out what seems cool to you. Oakley and Fox are clothing manufactures, not cycling clothing manurfacturers, so remember that. Shock pump, i think any will do. And if you do purchase it all from the same store, you'll prolly get a sweet deal!

mtbr member
    If you get a shock pump remember to get one that will go to the pressure you need. I was going to pick up a Specialized pump (one that works for tires as well as shocks) but it only went up to 220psi, and I needed 250psi.

For clothing, I am a Pearl Izumi fan myself, although the Specialized Demo shorts are awesome. I had a pair of Fox Mid Rangers, but the seam started coming undone after one ride. The shop I got them in switched them out with the Demos for $5 more. I wound up buying my bike from them afterward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    cool, thanks for all the tips, but keep them coming! I dont mind buying other brands, im totally not a label whore, but if they are truly the best products, then i will sport them. I figure i wont be able to get EVERYTHING i want right now, due to financial limitations, but just some basic things that will be useful right away. This will be my first bike with a clipless pedal system so i definitely want to try getting some shoes as well as a helmet and shock pump ASAP... the gloves and so on can be purchased later on as i recoup from the hit of buying the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    I would def. find a shop that offers free tuneups, or something similar. Mikes, although sells at a good price, charges for 100? for 5 years, I think.
    From personal experience....

Mikes charges $100 for a tune-up program that covers five years of maintenance on your bike. Look at their pamphlet and see what it covers. It's pretty comprehensive and is cheaper than what you'll find most anywhere. Even if you don't purchase that plan, the 100-mile/90 day adjustments are free and they cut you deals (in the service dept) on repairs later (after 100 miles/90 days) if you buy a bike there. Not to mention the fact that the service guys are top-notch. I've worked quite a bit with Wayne, Kelly and Aaron and they're all fantastic.

For sales, if you purchase a bike there, I recommend you work with Mellissa. Tell her Matt sent you
    :wq

mtbr member
    I got a Fox shock pump in the original bag collecting dust in my garage. Brand new, I think it was $40 but I just want to get rid of it. Let me know if you are interest. $30 and it's yours with free shipping.

I am not loyal to any brand. I have Fox Sidewinder gloves and will be picking up another set of the 2005 model. The Spec Enduro gloves were awesome but the pad material bunched up a little too much in the palm.

For shorts, I wear REI something-or-others and Hoss Ponderosas. Both are comfortable for long rides and didn't cost a lot of money.

Poly shirts from Target work just as well as cycling specific shirts but cost about $10.

Shoes are very important and after trying several different brands (Shimano, Sidi, etc..) I got the Spec Pros. I absolutely LOVE them and as soon as they wear out, I will pick up another pair with no hesitation.

Hydration is VERY important so make sure you pick up a Camelbak. I prefer the 100oz (3 Liters) bladders. The Dakine Nomad is also nice.

If the helmet fits, get it. This is one item you should not cut corners on. Cheap helmets work but can be bulky and fill like a cinderblock on your head (and look like one too). I have a Giro Xen I got on ebay for $79.

I only wear Smartwool socks. Online is the best place to get them. I search for the best price (froogle.com) and just pick up 3 or 4 pairs. I currently have the no-show style for hot weather and the mini crew for cooler weather.

mtbr member
    The LBS I purchased from had a price of $2100 for the Comp. It took some haggling, but I got them down to $1900 on a price match. Also got a sweet deal on clothing, accessories and tools (buy one, get second half off). Ended up picking up a new helmet, shock pump, shoes, gloves, bottle, cage, shock fender, multi-tool and some rack accessories.

The lowered prices made me very happy and I love the bike, but I wish they would price competitively from the beginning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well i ended up getting it, the deal was not as good as what they first promised but whatever its ok... 1999 plus 20% all accessories. i ended up getting a shock pump, lube, and the mini fender. The guy i got it from said that if i come back with anything else i need, he will still apply the 20% off, so all in all, its not too bad... Now i just gotta wait for it to arrive!! (wanted a large green, they only had medium blacks)

Lusus Naturae
    Yeah, the green color is the best.

Strange, when I spoke to some of the bike shops on the phone, they mentioned at least one of the manufacturers for the bikes i was looking at did not allow the shops to go under a certain price level. Not sure if this is the case with the Specialized.

I wouldn't have expected to get that bike for under 1999, and certainly not anywhere near 1600 ... unless its a year or two old. The parts on the 07 fsr comp are up near the top in all cases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Yeah, the green color is the best.

Strange, when I spoke to some of the bike shops on the phone, they mentioned at least one of the manufacturers for the bikes i was looking at did not allow the shops to go under a certain price level. Not sure if this is the case with the Specialized.

I wouldn't have expected to get that bike for under 1999, and certainly not anywhere near 1600 ... unless its a year or two old. The parts on the 07 fsr comp are up near the top in all cases.
    ive heard of some people getting it for pretty good prices, but all is well. I didnt want to start off on the wrong foot with my LBS. Ive actually only seen the green in person once, this was at another bike shop that had it listed as 2200. They didnt seem interested in giving a price reduction so i went elsewhere.

mtbr member
    About 10% off RRP is generally what you can expect, you got pretty close to that, and the 20% off accessories is very generous. First bike I purchased gave us 10% off the bikes, 3yrs free services (tuneups) and 15% off any accessories I purchased during the next 3yrs. Don't know what happened to that store they seemed to have gone out of business or something! Anything more than 10% is a real bonus and generally only when the store want's to get rid of the floor models or towards the end of the year when new models are coming in.

Specialized seems to be one of the companies that has huge price markdowns at that changeover time when new bikes are coming out.

When I purchased my Trance the LBS rang Giant to check weather there were any sort of sales happening at the time, unfortunately not, so obviously they must be bound to honor any manufacturer dictated sales.
    My bike RRP was about $2200 (aussie$) and I got it for $1950, minus $50 for the pedals as I had a set already and also minus $50 as I only took the first free service not the rest, so in the end it was $1850 but purely due to trading other stuff for it. Also got 10% or 15% off accessories I brought that day. This was a smaller store who don't sell a huge amount of high end bikes so discounts they gave were pretty generous.
    [SIZE="2"]Life's a bi&*h & then you Ride![/SIZE]

mtbr member

Smile Buying Specialized - Negotiating Prices

Hey man,
    Just saw your scenario, and wanted to share some insight. We have three local dealers for specialized; one is real big with tons of test bikes for demo use; one is in between with lots of test bikes for sale; and one is small with low-end specialized bikes - all order-only for high end. A buddy and I were both buying FS bikes, so we checked all three. The first big store wouldnt budge on the price and charged $40 to take a test bike for the weekend - whack. Small shop was cool - they quoted me for an 07 Epic Comp at $1950 (MSRP is $2399) and a Stumpy FSR Comp (Black/red) for $1600 - both before tax. Went to the last place and demo'ed the Epic Expert, FSR Comp and FSR Expert before buying. My buddy picked up the FSR Comp for $1600 out the door (!!) and Im getting the Epic Comp for $1600 hopefully out the door - worst case scenario is $1800.

Either way, my point is dont just go with one shop if they're not a good fit. Youll pay MSRP and theyll make a ton of money on your behalf. Establish some rapport with other shops through casual convo and demos, and just lay it out for them! BTW, cost on that bike is $1300...keep that in mind!