mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New bashguard and subsequent question..

I recently installed my new Goldtooth bashguard, and was wondering what my options are as far as removing some chain link since I will no longer be using my big ring. My middle ring is 34t.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bxb03a
    I recently installed my new Goldtooth bashguard, and was wondering what my options are as far as removing some chain link since I will no longer be using my big ring. My middle ring is 34t.

first, oil that chain

to size the chain, open the quick link and wrap the chain around the biggest chainring and the biggest gear on the cassette , without threading it through the deraillier. add 2 links to that, toss the rest. dont lower the front deraillier it wont shift right if you do, you can adjust the outer stop to keep it from trying to shift onto the guard

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i would bump up to a 36 tooth and have a 38 tooth on back order for when you get the need. i did the same thing to mine and that was the first thing i did. i also am thinking of getting a 26 tooth granny because the 24 is just a wee bit too granny. and im thinking of going down to an 8 speed setup. i fugure the fewer the gears, the fewer times ill cuss from having too many gears. i only use like 6 or 7 anyways.

Map Maker

wait don't cut your chain yet!

YIKES

Almost right -its Wrap the chain around the big cassette cog and the Big Chain ring add two links AND cycle the rear suspension completly through its compression motion and take the largest measurement on the chain.
    if you don't do this you might bust your rear derailer right off into your rear wheel if you compress in the big / big combo.

Don't ask me How I know this
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club