DTL
    mtbr member

New 2015 Stumpjumper HT Comp 29

Here are some pics of my new 2015 stump ht comp 29. Size is a large.

Current upgrades include:
    Race face 6 degree 90mm stem
    Shimano 540 clipless pedals
    Captain control 2.2 front tire
    Fasttrack s works 2.2 rear tire(moved from front)

Have not ridden it yet but am looking forward to first ride this coming weekend. Future planned upgrades include an azonic flow 1 inch riser bar and odi grips. Also a carbon fiber seat post. Any recommendations on the carbon seatpost with a little flex is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2015 Stumpjumper HT Comp 29-image.jpg  

New 2015 Stumpjumper HT Comp 29-image.jpg  

New 2015 Stumpjumper HT Comp 29-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice bike! I don't know if I would run the S-works as an every day rear tire, sidewalls aren't as beefy as a control. Wouldn't take long to trash it. However, an S-works up front works pretty well. This is in my experience anyways.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice bike and ditto on the tyres. S-Works front / Control rear works for me.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I was thinking of some tire rearranging. Would I be better with captain control 2.2 front and FT control 2.2 rear or run a captain 2.2 both front and rear?

mtbr member
    For the seatpost...I recommend the Niner RDO for some comfort. On the tires, I agree with the others and have always run the S-Works casing in the front and Control in the rear. However...I am currently running S-Works both front and rear. I would just run it as you have it until you need a new tire.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    For the seatpost...I recommend the Niner RDO for some comfort. On the tires, I agree with the others and have always run the S-Works casing in the front and Control in the rear. However...I am currently running S-Works both front and rear. I would just run it as you have it until you need a new tire.
    Agreed, I have been running sworks both front and rear on my other bike for a long time without any problems. Maybe ill switch the front captain to an sworks and shave some grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    As you say I'd leave the tyres you have at the moment until they need replacing.

An S-Works Captain upfront and Control Fast Trak would work perfectly on my local terrain. Can't tell you how many nearly new S-Works tyres I have with cut sidewalls before I gave up with them on the rear.

It was expensive but I love my Syntace P6 seatpost, takes the edge off big hits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bike, good starting point for future upgrades. Looking online I was wondering if the new STJ EVO HT is the same frame? If so, it has a 120 front fork and you could make you own EVOed version with comp model.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Another post option: Ritchey WCS Carbon Link Flexlogic
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    I believe the frame is exactly the same as the standard alloy SJ HT.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Nice bike, good starting point for future upgrades. Looking online I was wondering if the new STJ EVO HT is the same frame? If so, it has a 120 front fork and you could make you own EVOed version with comp model.
    I wondered the same thing. If I had to guess I would say they are the same frame. Id like my front shock to be 100mm vs the stock 90mm. Some say you can switch out the current air spring for a 100mm air spring so I am looking into that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What is the weight of your bike?

Thanks

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozziel View Post
    What is the weight of your bike?

Thanks
    Unknown at this time. If I had to guess somewhere around 24 lbs. I also have a 2011 epic comp 29er tubleless and the hardtail is significantly lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What's your opinion of the bike? I already have mine in size small, is my first 29", I have not ridden it yet until this weekend I hope so.

DTL
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Ozziel;11532676]What's your opinion of the bike? I already have mine in size small, is my first 29", I have not ridden it yet until this weekend I hope so.[/

A little about my history: I havent ridden a hardtail since my 26er hardtail before 29 was even invented (im 42 years old now). I remember my old 26 HT being harsh as **** over roots and bumps. From it I went to FS 26 and then eventually about three and a half years ago to a FS 29 (spec epic comp 29). Over the last two years I have been drawn to the simplicity of a 29 hardtail and wondered if it would ride smoother than I remember the old 26 HT. I ride mostly xc trail type single track, no rocks but a fair amount of roots big and small I researched and researched and then decided one day to just pull the trigger on the 2015 comp HT without even riding it. I figured what the hell lets give it a shot. I liked the geo and specs on the 2015 over the 2014 (shorter chain stays, slightly slacker HA, rear thru axle, inter frame cable routing etc.

Now as for the ride: for my local trails here in the Houston Texas area I think the stumpjumper HT 29 rocks. Keep in mind mine is set up tubless and I run pressures as low as 25 psi. I also replaced the 105 mm stem with a 90mm, moved the front stock FT tire to the rear and put an sworks captain 2.2 on the front (we have a fair amount of sand here). On my first two rides I noticed I liked the lightness and flickability of this bike, i also noticed that the rear end does not seem harsh at all over small to medium size roots, kinda like dull thuds when going over them. I found that if I do need to get out of the seat I can just hover for a split second and then come back down. I believe there is some compliance built into the rear flattened seat stays and this helps too. Once in a while if I hit a slightly larger root and forget to unass the seat it will feel like a gentle bounce in the rear but nothing harsh or jarring. Overall I really like the bike. I find it to be just a notch less plush than my epic if you can believe that. I plan to add a syntace p6 carbon seatpost soon which I think will add another 6 to 8 mm of compliance. That should be really nice. If anyone is thinking of getting this bike I would say go for it and get the 2015 over the 2014 if you can.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All-I just bought the evo and for 2015 it has been totally revamped. it is NOT the same frame as it has a 68 degree headtube angle compared to the 71 of the comp. It really is a much more aggressive ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Dcitron,

Did you order your new bike or one off the floor? Photos and ride reviews after you get some time on it...please

Cool bike
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ordered it and have my fingers crossed that it fits like I expect. I should get it late next week and will post photos then

mtbr member
    Looks good! We just ordered a Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29 for my teenage son. This will be his second season racing for his high school team. He's a good kid; he trains and studies hard, deserves a nice racing hardtail. At his height (6ft. 4 1/2") the search for a bike wasn't easy, as 1) there are comfort/fit issues for tall guys, and 2) shops rarely stock XL of any model. He tested Niner, Scott, and Giant but didn't like the handling. One LBS, thankfully, had an XL Crave that felt good in every way. With the geometries of the Crave and Stumpy HT being quite similar, he decided on the Stumpjumper Comp Carbon. He plans to perform minor upgrades as the budget allows.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am 60 and ride a 2012 M5 Stumpjumper 29 HT (modified 120mm suspension 22 lbs 1x10) and a SJ 29 singlespeed rigid. I used to ride an Epic and Stumpy FSR (owned both 29ers) but found that sitting too much ended up giving me back trouble. So I just moved full time to the hardtail. I stand a lot. Keeps me strong and fit, free of back issues.

Opposite of what most write of course. My trails are not super technical though. I do some 6 hour solo races still, mostly duo 6 hour and a few 50's cat 2 events. For me it seems the 29er hardtail is going to be hard to beat as to efficiency, simplicity, comfort, and easy to fix by yourself.

DTL
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=rakerdeal;11594748]I am 60 and ride a 2012 M5 Stumpjumper 29 HT (modified 120mm suspension 22 lbs 1x10) and a SJ 29 singlespeed rigid. I used to ride an Epic and Stumpy FSR (owned both 29ers) but found that sitting too much ended up giving me back trouble. So I just moved full time to the hardtail. I stand a lot. Keeps me strong and fit, free of back issues.

Awesome to hear you are 60 and still mountain biking and on hard tails none the less. Are your hardtails aluminum or carbon? Ive been riding my 2015 SJ comp HT and I am amazed at how much I am enjoying a hardtail again. Ive been riding fs for the last 10 years and finally tried a HT 29. Its a very nice ride on a quality butted aluminum frame. I just wonder if I would have liked the comp carbon better?

DTL
    mtbr member
    From what I have heard about the comp carbon your son should love it. I. Might add a comp carbon to my stable next.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakerdeal View Post
    I am 60 and ride a 2012 M5 Stumpjumper 29 HT (modified 120mm suspension 22 lbs 1x10) and a SJ 29 singlespeed rigid. I used to ride an Epic and Stumpy FSR (owned both 29ers) but found that sitting too much ended up giving me back trouble. So I just moved full time to the hardtail. I stand a lot. Keeps me strong and fit, free of back issues.

Opposite of what most write of course. My trails are not super technical though. I do some 6 hour solo races still, mostly duo 6 hour and a few 50's cat 2 events. For me it seems the 29er hardtail is going to be hard to beat as to efficiency, simplicity, comfort, and easy to fix by yourself.
    Rakerdeal, did you pit a 120 mm fork on your sj hard tail?